• 0 results
#1 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

So, my birthday is next Sunday...and for the past two years, I spent it by climbing Mt. Fuji each year.   

I'm back in the States. 

I asked this girl I got the hots for to go to NYC with me for dinner, and hopefully us in private...but she called me silly for forgetting about the birthday party. 

In my head I was like "what bithday party"...and then it hit me that my parents have been getting a lot of people together for my birthday.  To my parents, this is a big deal, as I haven't been stateside for quite a few of my birthdays.  This would be my first one in years...with the others before being missed due to me being in Tokyo, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and random states during my birthdays. 

So, I know about the surprise party now...and haven't told anyone I know about it. 

I really don't like having big parties about my birthday or anything in general.  I enjoy spending my birthday alone or with just one or two people.  Hell, I spent the last two climbing a mountain by myself, to better myself as a person.  

Something my parents just don't get.  I enjoy the solitude, and on my birthday I end up recalling the year before and whatnot.   

My parent's already got me a car, and I don't want them doing anymore than they need to.  I know they love me, and I know they do it to show how much they do care and how much they missed me. 

I can already see this birthday not being what I want, and doing something for my parents again just to make them happy.  But hey, I'm a knight...so I could always spend the day before or after alone.  :P 

Anyone else here enjoy their birthdays alone?

#2 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5210 posts) -

Not in a huge party. 
Spending it with a girlfriend is nice

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No, mainly because my birthday is a national holiday. It's called King's Day, and I force everybody to buy me at least one present. Any gift of money or gift cards warrant the death penalty.

#4 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

I spend my birthdays alone with my razorblade collection

#5 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

Some meditation is good on a birthday.

#6 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I am not into the whole birthday party scene either. Even as a kid I would rather spend it with just a couple of mates and I guess my family understands that because I haven't had a party since I was seven. Now that I am older typically I don't even do that. I just hangout at home and have a quiet beer or something. 

#7 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

Fuck no.

#8 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

A birthday for me is just like any other day. The only reason I even remember it, is because my mom calls me. I don't see the big deal about birthdays. Congratulations! You managed to stay alive for another year.

#9 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@ZimboDK: Oh shit, saw your avatar and I got reminded about the weekly stock report.  :P   

I shall get on it now.
#10 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

That's every day, really.  I prefer not to make a big deal out of nothing.

#11 Posted by chw (101 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  Yeah, quiet birthdays are nice.  You seem to travel a lot.  What do you do?
#12 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

I enjoy taking a day off on my birthday. I avoid any stress possible. Turning off the phone is a great way of going about it. Spending it with a girlfriend is give or take. 

If you don't feel like having a party, I would recommend stating it to people. 

PS. Happy pre-Birthday

#13 Posted by Crono11 (1645 posts) -

I've never once had a Birthday party.

wow when I say it like that it just sounds sad...

#14 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@crono11: I shall throw you a forum birthday party, what day?
#15 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

My last 2 birthdays I threw 2 huge parties  but I just moved to my new apartment in a new town becomes of school  and I still don't know any one so I will most likely spend it alone this year

#16 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Doesn't really bother me to be alone, this year was my first year away from home so it was just another quiet day which I didn't mind and I didn't tell people either.  Even when I was home it wasn't a big thing either just went out to dinner with the family.

#17 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

Birthday parties for me were awesome when you were 5 years old. Nowadays I'd rather spend it with only a handful of my closest friends and just relax, play games, or watch a movie or something. The only problem is that I share a birthday month with my grandma, my cousin, and little brother. So whenever my birthday comes around, there's always a huge party for the 4 of us.

#18 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

hell no. i prefer spending it with friends.  
spending it alone is just boring. 

#19 Edited by Crono11 (1645 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  July 6th.  

I'm going to hold you to that now.
#20 Posted by ape_dosmil (514 posts) -

I get you. I like parties, but I never enjoy throwing my own parties. There's too much pressure, I feel like I'm responsible for everyone else having a good time. For my own birthday I prefer just having a few drinks with a couple of friends. It's your birthday dude, do whatever you want to do. Your parents are doing a nice thing, so don't give them shit for it. They probably just don't realize that you genuinely don't want a big party, maybe they think you're just trying to save them the hassle. Just tell them how you feel and I bet they'll be cool about it.

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11805 posts) -

Pfft, if I don't celebrate my birthday then I won't get older...right...?

#22 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Yeah, I like to spend my birthday alone. Frankly, I find people who throw parties for themselves or ask for parties to be unbelievably self-centered.

#23 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

I don't like people making a big deal about my birthday.

#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

*raises hand*

My birthday parties are pretty normal.
I invite my cousin, my boyfriend (if I have one during that time that is >.>) and my best friend.
4 people which equal 4 player multiplayer videogames, lots of fun and a movie (Austin Powers! Yeah baby!).

Pretty smalltime, but one of the best days of any year for me.

#25 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

I try to keep it low key. I've always found it kind of obnoxious when people make a big deal out of their birthday, and I don't like hosting parties, so...

#26 Posted by Homer39 (157 posts) -

i usually go to pizza with the whole family on a weekend if my birthday falls on a weekday  

#27 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -

Yup. The less people the better. The lady, a couple of good friends, and a few beers is all I need to stay happy.

#28 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

No. 

The only people who say 'yes' are friendless losers who don't have any choice.

#29 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -
@c1337us said:
"  Now that I am older typically I don't even do that. I just hangout at home and have a quiet beer or something.  "
Sounds good.
#30 Edited by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

I had a small party back when I was in primary school. Not really much of a party though, more like some friends hanging out with food and cake. I rather spend it with some friends than be alone though.

#31 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
@Abyssfull: It sure is. My birthday isn't too far away and this thread has already got me thinking that this year my birthday present to myself will be a steak sandwich, a couple of beers in a bean bag in front of the tele and some sweet peace and quiet. Plus I have a birthday party to go to about a week after that so all the celebrating will be bashed out of me then ha ha.
#32 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

I don't mind a small, family gathering birthday.  We do it every year but intend to keep it simple and just between us.

#33 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Yes and no. Having big parties means you get more stuff, but I hate being around a lot of people and putting on fake smiles for people you don't really know or care about. Honestly, I would rather just have the money that they would spend on getting a big dinner ready and possible renting a place then to go through all that. I'm a wall flower and I hate being the center of attention.

#34 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I just hang out and do something with a friend or two. I'm not a fan of big parties either, but being alone? Nah. 

#35 Posted by Dr_VonBoogie (348 posts) -

I do, ever since I was whenever someone would ask me if I wanted a party for my birthday I would always say no. Mostly because growing up I didn't have a lot of friends and I always figured that no one would show up. So at an early age I just decided to start spending my birthdays alone. For the most part I enjoy, but I guess it would be nice to have someone else there with me.

#36 Posted by RecSpec (3799 posts) -

I don't like parties, but I'll usually go out and do stuff I normally don't do. 

Maybe with friends, maybe alone, I try to have a ton of fun though.

#37 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

while yes i do. my family usually take me out to dinner. most people don't know that it is my birthday i usually keep it to myself.

#38 Posted by rt44tbtb4 (117 posts) -

I spend just about every day of the year alone and quiet. 

#39 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

i like my birthdays to be a small occasion but when it comes to other peoples birthdays i just get shit faced and wake up somewhere miles from home with a massive hangover

#40 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Yep. The more dissociated I am, the happier the birthday.

#41 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Usually some of my friends come over. It can be hard because my birthday is near the holidays.

#42 Posted by mcmets93 (285 posts) -

Wouldn't spend it alone .. either be with family or my friends 

#43 Posted by RLLink (367 posts) -

I spend it alone, since it's just another day to me. Normally just listen to music. Like someone else said, I only remember it because my family reminds me.

#44 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" No, mainly because my birthday is a national holiday. It's called King's Day, and I force everybody to buy me at least one present. Any gift of money or gift cards warrant the death penalty. "
How many peasants does your kingdom hold, oh king of the moon?
#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Azteck: 

Not many, since quality of life up here is actually pretty good. Oh, and I should mention that they have to buy the gift, no having your kids make some crappy bird feeder.
#46 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

I suppose there is a difference between spending it alone, spending it with some friends and spending it at a birthday party. 
1)  Spending it alone is sad, and from the sound of it, no one you knew in Japan knew it was your birthday or no one cared.  I mean, yeah, its cool climbing that hill, but come on man... come on. Doesn't sound like its what you like to do, because you seem to want to use it as an incentive for that girl to go to dinner with you, which kinda makes me sad.
2)  This is my choice and the choice of a lot of people.  It is more intimate and you have a better time with less people and go on an adventure together.  This isn't what you wanted to do either, since you want to climb the mountain again. 
3)  This is more for your parents than you.  And if your birthday was not that big a deal, why then complain about going to a party.  It just happens to be for you.  And you get gifts.  Seems weird that people who don't think of their birthday as a big deal or care what they do, complain about having to go to a party for their birthday.  I would only believe them if they never went to any parties which seems to be what your into so let your parents know. 

So here is what you do, you tell your parents to fuck off, tell that girl you were only hoping to use your birthday as a way to make her feel sorry for you and that you'd be able to score with her.  So be honest, buy a ticket to Japan and climb that hill again.  It is what YOU want to do.

#47 Posted by DjTann3r (214 posts) -

I spent this last birthday with just my roommate. it was cool. very chill. I'm pretty over the whole big party thing. I enjoy going out to dinner or something, but other than that, just chill at home and i'm good.

#48 Posted by ProlificShadow (399 posts) -

I would always prefer a birthday with just a few close friends. It's so much more relaxing. 

#49 Posted by CaptainTryHard (207 posts) -
@VisariLoyalist said:
" I spend my birthdays alone with my razorblade collection "
Hah! I was thinking the same thing, but this guy actually has a point with the whole situation. 

If you want to spend it alone with your girlfriend or whatever she is than just enjoy the party, be grateful, and than go out to eat with her with the birthday money you may receive?
#50 Posted by DXmagma (317 posts) -

don't like big parties, jsut me and my friends palying co-op with pizza is enough. is just so fun to watch us fail at co-op, since we all have different tastes. 

"we're's the menu button? where do we buy supplies?"

"someone tell me when i get a shotgun."

"where's my range attack? what do you mean there's no range ATTACK!?"

"who's the chick, and why is she wearing clothes? oh wait she has no pants nevermind."

think you can guess the game?