Anyone here watched Stein's gate?

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Guys, I just picked up the anime Steins gate cause I heard it was really good but it seems to start completely in the middle of the story and I'm completely lost about what going on. Anyone in the know want to let me in on what I missed?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hard to say without knowing how much you watched but.... The show starts with Okabe and Mayuri going to a conference to listen to a scientist speak about the concept of time travel. Okabe leaves the conference room and finds a girl who appears to have been stabbed and is laying in a pool of her own blood. He runs off, and after he exits the conference building and is telling someone about what he saw, everyone around him disappears and he ends up running into the girl he saw dead and she is, of course, alive and uninjured. After that you're introduced to Okabe's mad science lab he has set up in an apartment, and things slowly ramp up to a pretty great climax about half way through the series.
If it seems like it starts in the middle of the story just remember: that shits about time travel, so that's actually likely.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Keep watching.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

The first half of the series is weird but you'll feel better about the first half when you get to the second half.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that's by design... unless you somehow started on episode 8 or something. There's also an OVA-type thing that takes place after the ending that you may want to seek out afterwards. I've seen some people lukewarm about it, but I liked it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

After the anime + ova there's a movie that takes place after the entire series.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mashzapotato

I watched half of the first episode. But yeah it just seems to start with them assuming I know who these characters are, what these alternate world lines they're talking about are. It just really feels like I'm lost and I missed a whole previous season or something.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mashzapotato: The show is totally designed to make you feel lost at the start. Time travel/alternate universe stories usually are. Nothing makes sense to you because nothing makes sense to the characters until it all... does. As to the anime assuming you know who these characters are, it's very possible they did assume that. Stiens;Gate was a Visual Novel. I think it's more likely that the show feels that way because they want to give you the sense that all the character's they're presenting you from the get-go are all very good friends who understand each other very well.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mashzapotato
@clairvoyantvibrations said:

@mashzapotato: The show is totally designed to make you feel lost at the start. Time travel/alternate universe stories usually are. Nothing makes sense to you because nothing makes sense to the characters until it all... does. As to the anime assuming you know who these characters are, it's very possible they did assume that. Stiens;Gate was a Visual Novel. I think it's more likely that the show feels that way because they want to give you the sense that all the character's they're presenting you from the get-go are all very good friends who understand each other very well.

Good to know, I liked the dialogue and characters but was just confused as hell.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I love the show mainly due to how damn charming and incredible the main character is. It starts a little slow but picks up steam as the show wears on. I have a real soft spot in my heart for it and the main character's VA.

sam1am7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was literally reading the Wikipedia page of Steins gate a few hours ago!
Got there from after watching this on Netflix. The Science of Doctor Who.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, and I love it! Hououin Kyouma scenes are all great.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mashzapotato

edit: My list ordered the OVA before the series. I watched that first which is why I was super confused.

Avatar image for klragrmndfvrarg
klragrmndfvrarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It picks up later. Around 10-13 for me. Then it all starts making sense. If it doesn't come back here after you are done with the show, reply to me and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literally my favorite anime of all time (check my MAL, it's #1). Trust me when I say things start to make sense as things go on and it becomes super engrossing.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched it with a friend after we both tried and failed to get any deeper than 2 ep in. Finished it about 6 months ago. Very well made and extremely engaging once the ball starts rolling (and boy do they start it rolling with a bang). Not my favorite anime but enjoyable and recommendable all the same

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nick Rox likes it almost as much as he likes pronouncing it.

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stick with it, you will be glad you did. It starts off really crazy, and then calms down so you forget how crazy the first episode was. Don't want to elaborate any more than that but I cannot articulate how much I enjoyed Steins;Gate.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this hurts my anime cred but the English voice actor doing the main guy, well, he's somethin' special :)

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I know this hurts my anime cred but the English voice actor doing the main guy, well, he's somethin' special :)

The English dub of Steins;Gate is awesome. Dude rocks it as Okabe.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@mashzapotato said:

Fuck yesssss. I always recommend the dub specifically for him.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Spitznock

I was going to watch this series, but then I bought the English release of the game when it was released on pc awhile back and figured "I'll see the original first!" Have hardly touched it. Should probably just watch the anime.
Also,

If you watch/play the dubbed version, you're missing out on the angelic voice stylings of Hanazawa Kana. Personally I find that unacceptable.

kurrelgyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As confusing as it is in the start, it's not really in the middle of the story. It's just showing you an otherwise ordinary day in the life of two life-long friends, one of whom likes to call himself a Mad Scientist, without an explicit new character being introduced to everyone to bring you in. If the sci-fi aspects elude you, don't worry about it, just enjoy how the characters play off of each other as new ones are added to the mix (for which the dub can't get enough credit--it's excellent and much easier to digest when you don't get derailed trying to grok a subtitled term). It's a show that rewards watching it a second time.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mason20

I've always heard that this was a great anime but I just have to ask. Is the main writer for this show the same person that did the story for Bravely Default?

If what I've heard is true( Which I thought Bravely Default was one of the worst RPG stories I've endured through).. Considering it's presumably written by the same person, does this show make you repeat the middle chapter five fucking times?

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mason20: Hard to go into specifics since the dude who made this thread hasn't finished the series... but there is a concept of repeating time. It's not Haruhi Suzumiya levels of time repeating, though. Much more interesting and handled much better than that or, from how your making it out to be, Bravely Default.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mashzapotato

Just hit the half-way point, all I can say is... damn! Shit is getting intense!

edit: It does bother me that every other lab member working on a time machine is like: Okabe's acting weird? Fuck him, weirdo. He's just being weird!

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:
@mashzapotato said:

The English dub of Steins;Gate is awesome. Dude rocks it as Okabe.

The English commentary is also super good! You get people like Patrick Seitz and Michael J. Tatum talking about the adaptation from Japanese to English and how it's more about localizing everything as opposed to literally translating. On top of that, there is some cool talk about sound engineers and voice acting in general. Really good blu-ray set if you ever find yourself with some money. Comes with the DVD version as well!

Elektrobear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had clock related ptsd for a few days after that fucking middle chapter. Best anime ever made.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished the series. Man that was great! Definitely enjoyed how it bucked stereotypes in going for the ending it did.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sinusoidal

Stein's Gate didn't do a thing for me. The sister character was a completely intolerable moe-ron and was supposed to be the main character's sole motivation for basically everything that happened. As far as the plot is concerned: time travel has been done better elsewhere. It's not the worst thing ever made, but I can't understand the reverence for the show.

mashzapotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stein's Gate didn't do a thing for me. The sister character was a completely intolerable moe-ron and was supposed to be the main character's sole motivation for basically everything that happened. As far as the plot is concerned: time travel has been done better elsewhere. It's not the worst thing ever made, but I can't understand the reverence for the show.

I wasn't super hot on the sister either. For me the show redeems itself in the main character, his voice actor is incredible, the writing is great. And he's heroic and sympathetic in his goal to somehow find a way out of the mess he's made.