FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By FreakAche

Gross.

Seriously though, I actually knew a guy in high school who did this, and somehow his hair ended up not looking completely terrible.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Durandir: Dude, That is the worst thing about shampooing. SCREW FRIZZY HAIR. The only thing I've found that helps is to not use a hairdryer and to wrap your hair in a towel for an hour or two until dry. Surprisingly it helps reduce the poof by about 30-50%. Apparently heat drying/air drying(IE: falling asleep with slightly damp hair) makes the scales raise up even more once they're up.

Also, Goddamn. I've learned way more about my hair, and hair in general, in the last year than I ever wanted to.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I have heard the theory that if you just rinse your hair and don't use shampoo, after a rather rough traditional period it takes care of itself, but I've never tried it out.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@csoup: You said it bro! GET A JOB YOU FILTHY NO-SHAMPOO LOWLIFES!

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Jimmi

@thisguyrich said:

c) im also really lazy

Fair enough.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By napalm

@ProfessorEss: What did you clean it with?

LEGITLakers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By LEGITLakers

I never use shampoo. I also never brush my teeth except the day before a dental appointment.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By napalm

@Eujin said:

So, to give some insight: Shampoo is for your scalp, conditioner is for your hair.

However, two things happens when you use shampoo. First, while it basically helps your scalp, it causes the small scales on the keratin(your hair) to stand up, which is why a lot of people who use shampoo on longer hair end up with frizzy hair after shampooing. Second, some people's bodies see the the lack of oil on the scalp as a deficiency and start over producing. That is why if some people use regular shampoo on their hair regularly, they can end up with greasy hair if not shampooing for a day, or bad dandruff. After changing to a new semi-regular shampoo cycle, the hair will be far less oily after 2-3 days then it was the following morning on a daily shampoo cycle. The first is actually why conditioner was originally created, as it uses artificial oils to smooth the scales on keratin back down. The last decade or so has seen manufacturers adding minerals and vitamins to conditioner, which may help or may do nothing.

This is on a per person level. The whole "NEVER USE SHAMPOO" thing is a bit extreme, but shampooing every day is not always the best idea. This is not the same as not washing your hair regularly, as that's just bad.

If you find that you're ending up with greasy hair regularly even if you're shampooing, you very well may be overshampooing for your body type. And while there aren't enough studies yet to say conclusively, it is currently believed that yes, this can cause hair loss for some people.

Before anyone dramatically shifts their hygiene routing, always consult your doctor. The hair loss could be genetic, and the greasiness could just be from a diet issue.

Or you could start shampooing every 2-3 days and find that your hair is healthier, it all depends on the person.

I have had shoulder length hair for about 11 years now that I like to keep in good condition, as my fiancee loves it, apparently. I actually had really bad dandruff starting a year ago that was driving me insane, and dandruff shampoos were making it worse, to the point where my scalp started hurting. Spoke with my doctor, and turns out that my body was set so that I really needed to shampoo 1-2 times every week, alternating (once one week, twice the next, once the following, etc).

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU STOP WASHING YOUR HAIR. People who use that as an excuse to stop washing your hair may just be lazy. A quick rinse while showering daily in between shampoo cycles will wash away dead scalp and dirt.

Sorry for the wall of text, this is just something that happened to me personally recently that I thought I could shed light on. People who think that shampooing less than at least once a day is disgusting are probably uneducated on the subject, or have no idea what using shampoo daily can do to some people's heads.

Again, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR HYGIENE DRASTICALLY BEFORE CONSULTING WITH A DOCTOR. The human body becomes accustomed to regular chemicals over time, so suddenly removing one from the mix can be dangerous.

Here's an article talking about this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969

Edit: Wow, that was way longer than I expected. Basically, everybody's scalp is a unique snowflake that survives under different conditions. Someone who shampoos every 3 days could have horrid dirty hair and scalp. On the flip side, another person could shampoo every 4 days and have healthier hair/scalp/appearance then someone who does so daily.

Double Edit: Also, now that I've switched to the new cycle, my hair has no dandruff, and is not greasy at all. I also now feel like I may have ostracized myself on Giant Bomb due to revealing my required shampooing habits.

I find I have dandruff, and it's pretty awful. I shampoo once a day, and it never seems to go away.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By iam3green

only time i don't use shampoo is when i shave my head. i just soap for my hair when im shaved.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By FengShuiGod

I used to have horrible dandruff. I tried every kind of shampoo. Nothing helped. So I stopped using shampoo. Now I just use soap made locally and lather up my hair. Smells really good. Lavender,mint, lemongrass, ect. No more dandruff. I guess I was just allergic to something used in mass produced soaps and shampoos. My hair never suffered for it, and you definitely couldn't tell by looking at me so I'm not sure why some people think it's gross to not use shampoo. My scalp sure got better though.

As long as you are washing your hair, it's fine. Soaps and shampoos help remove the oils from your hair so it doesn't get greasy. If you use nothing but water, then yeah, the oils will just build up unless you rub your hair furiously in the shower for 30 minutes everyday. But not using shampoo doesn't mean you aren't washing your hair.

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By benitobb

I only shampoo and condition about 2-3 times a week. My hair feels too dry and just wrong if I shampoo everyday, but the natural oils in my hair make it look and feel much healthier if I don't shampoo for 2 or 3 days.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@csoup said:

Hygiene is fucking evolution for Christs sake. I am getting tired of running around listening to hippies talk about how we need to get "back to our roots" when back to our roots means shorter life-spans, unimaginable stench, and god-knows how many diseases.

I shower 3 times a day, brush my teeth after every meal, take my vitamins every morning, and make sure to use organic deodorant (the rock, not stick) to make sure I smell, look, and feel like a human who gives a crap about the body I was gifted with.

Weird, must've had a lot of pent-up rage running around lol.

3 times a day? Breakfast, Dinner, and before Sleep?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By MezZa

I thought this thread was just going to end up being weird, but actually it's kind of made me consider shampooing less times a week. Been trying to find a way to reduce how frizzy my hair gets anyway.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jayjonesjunior

doesn't matter what body type you have, shampooing everyday is wrong.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Barrock

Fuck that. I can barely stand not washing my hair a second time if I take a second shower, let alone the first time.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Napalm: Check with your doctor first, but it could be from over shampooing. Dandruff is usually caused by dead scalp cells. Try changing to a non SLS based shampoo, or reducing the number of times you shampoo for a few weeks. I'd still check with your doctor first, because if you've got bad dandruff even shorlty after showering, it could be a scalp infection. Which can lead to non-natural baldness. (Do not panic, this is /very/ unlikely, but worthwhile to get it checked anyway)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Only two times a week. Using too much can cause dandruff.

Besides, our species once never had shampoo. You gotta think naturally sometimes and oppose the influenced notions on what is normally "disgusting" or "clean". Nature isn't clean, but it's nature.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By SSully

I only shampoo every other day. I found my hair was getting really dry and itchy and the person who cut my hair suggested it. So far its pretty good, my hair is much softer, and while its weird not shampooing every day at first, you do get used to it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Napalm: Water - and even then I tried to not over water it.

GodsMistakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GodsMistakeXx

@csoup: Three times a day! You know there are children dying of dehydration in Africa! Damn you spongebob! DAMN YOU!

And yes I use shampoo, how else do you expect me to tame my luxurious mane?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Vodun

@csoup said:

Hygiene is fucking evolution for Christs sake. I am getting tired of running around listening to hippies talk about how we need to get "back to our roots" when back to our roots means shorter life-spans, unimaginable stench, and god-knows how many diseases.

I shower 3 times a day, brush my teeth after every meal, take my vitamins every morning, and make sure to use organic deodorant (the rock, not stick) to make sure I smell, look, and feel like a human who gives a crap about the body I was gifted with.

You do realize the key to success is a balance yeah? If you constantly sterilize yourself and your environment, your immune system will be so weak from disuse a common cold will kill you (much like those tribes living in isolation in South America).

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By left4doof

@Afroman269 said:

@HandsomeDead said:

That's so disgusting.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By Sooty

There's nothing disgusting about not using shampoo. The hair is still being washed. Nothing wrong with good old water.

and yes I do use shampoo. It smells nice, although I try not to use it if I'm going out a few hours later as it makes my hair get all 'wavy'.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I wash my hair everyday because, you know, I live in a civilised society

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#75  Edited By Yanngc33

@Afroman269 said:

@HandsomeDead said:

That's so disgusting.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CL60

@csoup said:

Just letting you know, showering too much is very bad for your skin.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Karl_Boss

Shampoo is for pussies.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78  Edited By lazyturtle

I considered it, but discarded the idea. My wife was opposed. I can't see what the big deal is, you're just trading one commercially produced cleaning chemical for a homemade one.

I work out most days, so my head is drenched in sweat...I like the pretty smell I get when I clean my head daily.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By DopeToast

I've heard you're not supposed to shampoo more than once a day, but other than that I would do it. At least use a bar of soap. Clean is better than greasy and dirty.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Chop

I'm allergic to every shampoo I've tried (yeah, even the natural perfume free stuff), so I try to put off washing my hair with it as much as possible. I wish I could find a none allergenic soap that would clean my hair to the pristine condition I require but yeah...no luck so far.