Anyone use a debit card?

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FilmGuy

I heard they are good if you dont want of cannot get a credit card. Do most stores and online stores accept them?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah they're good. Credit cards are for idiots. And yeah most online stores accept them.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shawn

Yeah most online stores accept debit cards. Credit cards are just way too much of a hassle really.

I'll be getting my new debit card next week I think.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I have both, and an ATM card. All of them are pretty handy, imo.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike
MattyFTM said:
Credit cards are for idiots.
Credit cards are for smart, financially responsible individuals.  I earn at least 5% cash back on virtually every dollar I spend each month.  What kind of rewards are you earning?

Shawn
said:
 Credit cards are just way too much of a hassle really.

I'm a bit of an expert in this field, so listen carefully everyone.  Using a debit card or visa debit card is dangerous.  If your card is compromised, thieves can take money out of your account.  I never, ever use a debit card for anything except for taking cash out of an ATM.

Credit cards are far safer and more secure than debit cards.  If a thief steals your credit card or somehow the number is compromised, you're not liable for the charges and you won't be out any cash.  Credit cards are only a "hassle" If you're irresponsible with your finances.
Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shawn
MB said:
Shawn said:

I'm a bit of an expert in this field, so listen carefully everyone.  Using a debit card or visa debit card is dangerous.  If your card is compromised, thieves can take money out of your account.  I never, ever use a debit card for anything except for taking cash out of an ATM.

Credit cards are far safer and more secure than debit cards.  If a thief steals your credit card or somehow the number is compromised, you're not liable for the charges and you won't be out any cash.  Credit cards are only a "hassle" If you're irresponsible with your finances."
Yeah the theft really depends on the bank though. Last year somebody stole my dad's debit card information and bought about $1000 worth of stuff, the bank confirmed it wasn't him spending the money and he got a refund for all of it in a month's time.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ArchScabby

I've never had an online store not except my debit card.  They act like it's just a credit card.

FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FilmGuy

Is there a minimum age to get a debit card?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike
Shawn said:
Yeah the theft really depends on the bank though. Last year somebody stole my dad's debit card information and bought about $1000 worth of stuff, the bank confirmed it wasn't him spending the money and he got a refund for all of it in a month's time."
Exactly.  He was out $1,000 for a month...with a credit card, the only thing he would have lost would have been a little time it took to fill out and sign the affidavit of fraud.  Imagine if that $1,000 was all your family had to live on that month, you would have been completely screwed.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
MB said:
"MattyFTM said:
Credit cards are for smart, financially responsible individuals.  I earn at least 5% cash back on virtually every dollar I spend each month.  What kind of rewards are you earning?

Shawn
said:

I'm a bit of an expert in this field, so listen carefully everyone.  Using a debit card or visa debit card is dangerous.  If you card is compromised, thieves can take money out of your account.  I never, ever use a debit card for anything except for taking cash out of an ATM.

Credit cards are far safer and more secure.  If a thief steals your credit card or somehow the number is compromised, you're not liable for the charges and you won't be out any cash.  Credit cards are only a "hassle" If you're irresponsible with your finances."
The problem with credit cards is it can start a very big downward spiral towards serious debt. Sure, you start out paying it off every month so you don't have to pay interest, then you have a rough month and you have to delve into it a bit. Then one thing leads to another and you're tens of thousands of pounds into debt, you have to declare bankruptcy and you're left with nothing. I've seen it happen. Twice. And for that reason I'm staying away from credit cards forever. I personally think I'm mature and responsible enough to be able to handle a credit card and be sensible with it, but these people who I have seen be ruined by debt thought that about themselves, and I would have thought that about them too. I think I'd probably be alright but I don't want to take a risk.

And about getting no protection from you're bank for debit card fraud, it depends on the bank.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
FilmGuy said:
"Is there a minimum age to get a debit card?"
Here in the UK I think its 14. It used to be 16. I'd imagine its somewhere around there elsewhere.
Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shawn
FilmGuy said:
Depends on the bank, Chase does a high school student debit card and you have to be 15 or 16 I'm not sure, but it's a joined card with your parents (they have to have an account at Chase)

Other banks have joined debit accounts and you can get it at 16. Independent debit cards usually need to be 18 years (17 for some).
FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FilmGuy
Shawn said:
"FilmGuy said:
Depends on the bank, Chase does a high school student debit card and you have to be 15 or 16 I'm not sure, but it's a joined card with your parents (they have to have an account at Chase)

Other banks have joined debit accounts and you can get it at 16. Independent debit cards usually need to be 18 years (17 for some)."
What debit card do you think is the best if I am mostly using it for small purchases, CD's, movies, games etc.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mike
MattyFTM said:
The problem with credit cards is it can start a very big downward spiral towards serious debt. Sure, you start out paying it off every month so you don't have to pay interest, then you have a rough month and you have to delve into it a bit. Then one thing leads to another and you're tens of thousands of pounds into debt, you have to declare bankruptcy and you're left with nothing. I've seen it happen. Twice. And for that reason I'm staying away from credit cards forever. I personally think I'm mature and responsible enough to be able to handle a credit card and be sensible with it, but these people who I have seen be ruined by debt thought that about themselves, and I would have thought that about them too. I think I'd probably be alright but I don't want to take a risk."

The same thing can be said about almost anything in one's life.  Food, sex, prescription medications, even video games can all be harmful to one's health if abused.  That's not really a valid reason to make a statement like "Credit cards are for idiots", though, is it?
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By atejas

I used it on my trip to the US.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shawn
FilmGuy said:
"Shawn said:
"FilmGuy said:

Other banks have joined debit accounts and you can get it at 16. Independent debit cards usually need to be 18 years (17 for some)."
What debit card do you think is the best if I am mostly using it for small purchases, CD's, movies, games etc."
Go with a Chase high school checking account, I'm assuming you're in high school.

But there's no minimum deposit required or anything, even for the parent account, just a $25 start-up cost. It's fairly easily to deposit/withdraw money and since you are making small purchases I think it'll be the best option for you.
FilmGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FilmGuy
MB said:
"MattyFTM said:
The problem with credit cards is it can start a very big downward spiral towards serious debt. Sure, you start out paying it off every month so you don't have to pay interest, then you have a rough month and you have to delve into it a bit. Then one thing leads to another and you're tens of thousands of pounds into debt, you have to declare bankruptcy and you're left with nothing. I've seen it happen. Twice. And for that reason I'm staying away from credit cards forever. I personally think I'm mature and responsible enough to be able to handle a credit card and be sensible with it, but these people who I have seen be ruined by debt thought that about themselves, and I would have thought that about them too. I think I'd probably be alright but I don't want to take a risk."

The same thing can be said about almost anything in one's life.  Food, sex, prescription medications, even video games can all be harmful to one's health if abused.  That's not really a valid reason to make a statement like "Credit cards are for idiots", though, is it?"
I can see the pros and cons of both, but I cannot get a credit card so I am mostly interested in debit card info.
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By OGCartman

True about credit cards being safer

But honestly, i only spend a couple hundred a month, a debit card is perfect

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
MB said:
"MattyFTM said:

The same thing can be said about almost anything in one's life.  Food, sex, prescription medications, even video games can all be harmful to one's health if abused.  That's not really a valid reason to make a statement like "Credit cards are for idiots", though, is it?"
Yeah, my "Credit cards are for idiots" comment was an exaggeration. I do that allot.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

theyre great. i used to get them a lot as gifts. 

they pretty much accepted everywhere. 
i used to also use a debit card for my bank account (like a mac card)
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Oriental_Jams
MB said:
"MattyFTM said:

Shawn
said:

Credit cards are far safer and more secure than debit cards.  If a thief steals your credit card or somehow the number is compromised, you're not liable for the charges and you won't be out any cash.  Credit cards are only a "hassle" If you're irresponsible with your finances."
Probably the majority are.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Rowr

yes works fine.

Just a regular card i can use to buy stuff online.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mike
Oriental_Jams said:
Probably the majority are."
Actually the majority of people are responsible with their finances.  Look at the credit statistics in the United States and you'll see what I mean. 
Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Schizoid

I have a debit card, don't use a credit card. I only have £1.49 or so in my account so the thieves wouldn't really be able to do much.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Riddler

Cold Hard Cash Bitches

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By suneku

I have a CC and a Debit card. I stopped using my Debit and just started using my CC more.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By weltal

I use a debit card. Any place that accepts a credit card accepts debit, at least that's been my experience. I'm wary about using a credit card though, mostly because I'm extremely irresponsible with my money.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karmum

I don't have either, but I would probably use a debit card before a credit card. I mean, I'm pretty responsible, but I know I would only take out money into the card is when I would be buying things, I wouldn't just leave money in there (i.e. so if it ever gets stolen, it is useless).

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane

I have had a debit card for a couple of years now(I just recently got a credit card to pay for school and to easily build up credit for later on in my life).  I haven't run into a single place, in a store or online, that doesn't accept debit cards.  They are awesome.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Get a Credit Card (and a Debit Card.)

I use my Credit Card all the time for general purchases, daily,  the only time I ever use my debit card is if I need actual cash I'll use the card at an ATM machine to pull funds out of my checking.

The only reason you would get a Debit Card over a credit card is if you're horribly irresponsible with credit or you already have such bad credit that no one would issue you [another] credit card. As long as you're not a fucking idiot with your CC it's a good way to build credit, and if your card offers it, earn shit like rewards. Get one with no Annual Fee, only use one Credit Card, and never charge more than what you can pay off (otherwise the interest will start to fuck you.)

Really, the only reason to have a Debit Card is for emergency access to your checking account. I would never use my Debit Card online and shit, I would hate to have the number stolen and have someone drain my checking account. If that happens, it's gone. If someone steals your CC number and charges a whole bunch of shit on it you're not responsible for cent one of any of the purchases. Christ, as it is I can't stand having my Checking Account hooked up to PayPal even.... I can't imagine using my debit card for general online purchases. Doing that makes no sense at all, really.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By banksrob

Basically all stores accept them, and the internet too so its all good

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By WickedCobra03
MattyFTM said:
"Yeah they're good. Credit cards are for idiots. And yeah most online stores accept them."
Not really, actually its probably the opposite, they are the credit card for smart people.  Smart people get debit cards because then they are fiscally responsible for their purchases on a daily basis rather than having a credit card rack up!
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
WickedCobra03 said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Yeah they're good. Credit cards are for idiots. And yeah most online stores accept them."
Not really, actually its probably the opposite, they are the credit card for smart people.  Smart people get debit cards because then they are fiscally responsible for their purchases on a daily basis rather than having a credit card rack up!"
Nope. If you're fiscally responsible there is no reason whatsoever to use a Debit Card over a Credit Card.

A Credit Card:

1: Builds Credit. Good credit is absolutely necessary later in life. If you want to get a house/condo, finance a new car, get a loan, etc. good credit is absolutely crucial. Debit Cards don't build credit because they're just a card representing the money you have in your checking account, not an extension of credit.
2: Having the Credit Card stolen is nowhere near the hassle of having your Debit Card stolen. If your Debit Card is stolen the thief has a direct pipeline into your checking account. if your bank offers protection for the stolen funds (if you're lucky, if not -bye bye money) it may take a month or more to get your cash back - in the meantime if you need this cash to pay bills you're fucked. If your Credit Card is stolen the Credit Card company will immediately freeze your account and wipe off the illegitimate charges (you're not responsible for a dime,) and issue you a new card. Using your Debit Card online is just asking for trouble.
3: Many credit cards offer rewards - a percentage of cash back, flyer miles, etc. This means as long as you don't charge more than you can pay off (in other words, don't be an irresponsible idiot) you can actually get paid to use your credit card.

The only reason whatsoever to have a Debit Card is to have emergency access to your checking account (you can use your Debit Card at an ATM to draw funds from your checking.)

If you're financially responsible there is no reason whatsoever to use a Debit Card over a Credit Card. If you use your Debit Card to buy 60 dollars worth of things in a week, you are way better off charging that 60 dollars worth of stuff, paying it off right away, and getting the benefits of using a Credit Card to do it. As long as you pay off your Credit Card right away your interest rate doesn't matter, you'll never be paying interest (and that way you can get a credit card with no annual fee, so it's free in all respects to use. This usually causes it to have a higher interest rate, but as I said as long as you're paying it off you're not paying interest so that doesn't matter.)