#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Lifescouts is a new concept brought to us by Alex Day, Alex Day started his career on YouTube but since then has appeared in the UK charts on multiple occasions. Anyway, Lifescouts brings back the idea of collecting badges, some of us may have been in the scouts/cubs as children and got badges for say learning how to tie a knot or start a fire etc.

Lifescouts is very similar but for people of all ages and badges for life skills/moments or accomplishments. Here are a Couple of them.

A link to the store can be found here. Yes I know you have to pay for them, but there only £3 and the shipping is free (If your in the UK), I don't want to be some kind of salesman but I think the idea is really cool. I've ordered three as thats all I feel I can get from the range, but hopefully this will encourage me to do more of these things so I can get a badge for it. I've never gone scuba diving before, this may encourage me to. It's relatively new and only has been out for a week, but each day a new badge is released, so yeah, there kind of awesome.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -

This seems silly.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

Yeah, badges aren't a thing that would motivate me to get more out of life.

#4 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Another classic Hizang thread!

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I think it helps that I both like collecting things and I like the artwork on the badges.

#6 Posted by Carryboy (676 posts) -

Seems a little retarded.

#7 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Yeah, badges aren't a thing that would motivate me to get more out of life.

@Carryboy said:

Seems a little retarded.

Yeah, that about wraps it up.

Plus, I'm going into a career with much cooler badges and much cooler activities, so I'm doubly ok avoiding this ridiculousness.

#8 Posted by gaminghooligan (1445 posts) -

I was a life rank scout when I stopped going to scouting stuff.

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I came into work today. Is there a badge for that?

#10 Posted by _Chad (962 posts) -

Who the hell do you think I am? Chie?

#11 Posted by Superfriend (1553 posts) -

Dude, achievements in real life?! Count me in!

Nah, not really. Guess this appeals to the primal parts of our brains- the one that´s all about collecting things and hunting. Explains why I collect used movie tickets that remind me of some fun night outs!

#12 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I can't believe people are so dismissive of this. Especially people who likely earn achievements and trophies, as well as the ridiculous quests here on the site.

I think it's a cool idea, and it reminds me of the badge system for writing every day over at 750words.com. (My favorite website ever)

#13 Posted by Splodge (1608 posts) -

Is there one for being cynical?

#14 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -

@JJWeatherman said:

I can't believe people are so dismissive of this. Especially people who likely earn achievements and trophies, as well as the ridiculous quests here on the site.

I think it's a cool idea, and it reminds me of the badge system for writing every day over at 750words.com. (My favorite website ever)

There's probably just as many people around here who think achievements are bullshit.

Oh! I actually watched the video now. This doesn't just seem silly, it seems really stupid.

#15 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@Splodge said:

Is there one for being cynical?

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

This seems dumb. I could just order all the badges and win. The whole fun of achievements is that you can't cheat it (often).

#17 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Unlike other people in this thread, I am not immediately dismissive of this. I think its an ok idea. I wouldnt want to buy badges. But maybe someone else dose, I dont know.

But I do want to point out that Googleing lifescouts gives me the boy scouts. Also they only have 19 badges, and most of them are for going specific places.

#18 Posted by Jimbo (9810 posts) -

Sick idea. I would wear them to job interviews on the arm of my jacket.

#19 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Also they only have 19 badges, and most of them are for going specific places.

Its only been out a week, they are releasing one a day.

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Dagbiker said:

Also they only have 19 badges, and most of them are for going specific places.

Its only been out a week, they are releasing one a day.

Oh, ok.

#21 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

On a more positive note, I am a licensed scuba diver. I would highly suggest you give it a try. It's an amazing feeling breathing underwater at 60 feet or so. I don't know meters, sorry. Saw a lot of amazing things underwater. It was 20 degree water to and it felt like it was 60 in a wetsuit. Crazy stuff. Go for it.

#22 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4746 posts) -

Without having looked too much into it, on the surface this just looks like people having an excuse to show off. Buuut, I'm open to changing my mind after a little education.

#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

It seems lame, but when you think about it, it kind of gives people extra incentive to do things they previously wouldn't do. I bet that guy is going to make some serious money off of this.

#24 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@BraveToaster: Well I don't know how much it cost to make those things, considering its £3 each and there paying the post and packaging plus the cost of the store, I don't know, doesn't seem to profitable.

#25 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

This seems silly.

#26 Posted by Kidavenger (3549 posts) -

What do you do with them?

Friends comes over and asks about them, what do you say that doesn't immediately cause laughter at your expense?

#27 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1124 posts) -

I don't need badges to show what I've accomplished in life. "Life experiences"...give me a break.

Though this could be good for kids, making badges like ''Got an A for math".

#28 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

Yeah thats dumb.

#29 Edited by Sanity (1907 posts) -

Neat idea, but it wouldn't motivate me to do interesting things as money is my issue why i dont do anything fun, not that i dont get a cool badge. If there was a ar 15 badge id get it, cus id rock that at the range like a boss.

#30 Posted by JoeyRavn (4974 posts) -

So, it's like Achievements for real life, but you have to pay for them to "unlock"? Eh. There are better ways to "gamify" your life, I guess. Cheaper (or free), above all.

#31 Posted by Spoonman671 (4636 posts) -

If those badges were big enough for me to turn them into belt buckles, then I'd be all about it, but they aren't so I'm not.

#32 Posted by superpow (227 posts) -

My problem with this is that you are not receiving any recognition for your achievement. Rather, you are actively seeking out recognition for it by paying someone else money to show off what you did. It's impossible to gauge if one even merits to wear a badge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the boy scouts you were given a badge as a token of recognition and a symbol of merit for a specific skill or task from the organization. By stripping the whole aspect of recognition by an outside party, these badges just look sad and stupid.

#33 Posted by superpow (227 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@BraveToaster: Well I don't know how much it cost to make those things, considering its £3 each and there paying the post and packaging plus the cost of the store, I don't know, doesn't seem to profitable.

Are you kidding? Pins like that cost pennies to manufacture, pennies to post, and pennies to store. I bet his biggest overhead is the cost of maintaining the website. He's probably looking at margins of at least 50%.

#34 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -

If the experience and the memory of doing something cool isn't motivation enough for you but being able to buy a little badge for it is, then what the fuck dude.

#35 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I was in the christian ripoff of boyscouts called Awana. I had to memorize bible verses.

I know that sounds dreadful, but i assure you it was much worse than you are currently imagining. :(

#36 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -

This is one of the dumbest things I can recall reading about.

#37 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -
  • Picnic
  • Archery
  • Bungee Jump
  • Sydney Opera House
  • Skateboarding
  • Scuba Dive
  • Driving
  • Watch the Sunrise
  • Empire State Building
  • Hot Air Balloon
#38 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

I was only a Life for a few months. I got my Eagle real quick.

Oh, wait a minute...

#39 Edited by DriveupLife (915 posts) -

@Hizang :

Yes, I was a lifescout once before. A "Life Scout" is the scouting rank that you achieve just before you become an "Eagle Scout".

This is the badge

And when you become an Eagle Scout, you get this badge

#40 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

Summing up a life of experiences with badges this dude is chucking through youtube seems like the most oppressive thing this digital age can come up with.

#41 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

Nope cant say that I am.

#42 Posted by FoolishChaos (437 posts) -

If people are going to go out and have new experiences because of these badges, then great!

If you don't need the incentive to do new things, then fucking good for you!

#43 Posted by SSully (4186 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I came into work today. Is there a badge for that?

No, but you get a certificate. We call it a pay check, now get back to work you hippy

#44 Edited by J12088 (452 posts) -

I've done 9 of those. I win. Not going to bother buying any cause it's a badge and i have no use for them. Might of done 10 but I'm not sure what "french" means. I've been to france, i speak a little french and I've eaten horse. Do i win?

p.s might i suggest taking a photo. It's free. Unless you're visiting the pyramids then they might try to charge you for taking a photo.

#45 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

I don't always do interesting things, but when I do, I don't need no stinkin' badges.

#46 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

Interesting I guess? Idk, I earned my Eagle Scout, and the minor problem I have with this is that anyone can buy their badge for something they never did.

Granted, you could I guess do the same for Boy Scouts by just sewing it on your sash to show off, but you had to go through all the paperwork signed by the Scoutleaders and badge providers for you to actually earn rank to prove that you earned the badge.

#47 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

It seems lame, but when you think about it, it kind of gives people extra incentive to do things they previously wouldn't do. I bet that guy is going to make some serious money off of this.

Yeah... good for him, wish I'd thought of it, people love their achievements. I'd like to think that if a person is going to jump out of an airplane, it's because they want to jump out of a fucking airplane and live to talk about it. If I knew someone went out of their way to get one of these things, I'd probably think less of them for having such shitty motives.

#48 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Once sensory devices become ubiquitous (however long that takes), I'm sure real-life achievements will become available from social media sites. Most likely, the big social media sites will then find ways to exploit people who pursue such achievements (microtransactions and advertising maybe?) which will annoy most reasonable people and give achievements a bad reputation.