#1 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (228 posts) -

I have been wanting to upgrade my coffee equipment for some time now. I went out looking for a grinder, but at the store an employee recommended a "coffee pod machine," telling me how they are practically as fresh as ground beans, but a lot simpler. Im sure most of you know what Im talking about, but here anyway:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_pods_and_capsules  
Looking up opinions and reviews online, many people love them, and many hate them. I know there are a lot of coffee drinkers on Giant Bomb, so does anyone here have any experience with "pods"?

#2 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I am a big fan of coffee pods, but I don't really give a shit about coffee overall.

#3 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1543 posts) -

They probably wont make you the best coffee possible but they give you a constant good quality ... and it's fast. If you are willing to trade a bit of quality for speed those things are perfectly fine.

#4 Edited by eskimo (473 posts) -

Traditionalists hate them, but the law of diminishing returns makes me think they're not bad - you have to work so much harder for a real coffee, without a huge benefit. I love making coffee so they're not for me, but they're ALMOST as good as the real thing. Definitely lightyears ahead of instant coffee, but you don't have any of the fun (hassle?) of beans.

#5 Edited by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Maybe it was just the ones I've had, but they tasted like shit. Grind and brew your own coffee.

#6 Posted by Giantstalker (1532 posts) -

One of my friends uses these. It tasted like coffee to me.

A big disclaimer: I drink instant coffee almost every day. In all honesty, I can barely tell the difference between different types or kinds of coffee. It really boggles my mind, they taste so similar.

#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

my father uses instant coffee bag thing. it's kind of like using a tea bag just coffee. you heat up the water and put the bag in and it makes coffee.

coffee pot are good. you just put it there and then it heats it up.

#8 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@eskimo said:

Traditionalists hate them, but the law of diminishing returns makes me think they're not bad - you have to work so much harder for a real coffee, without a huge benefit. I love making coffee so they're not for me, but they're ALMOST as good as the real thing. Definitely lightyears ahead of instant coffee, but you don't have any of the fun (hassle?) of beans.

Yeah, I'll go through the rigmarole of the whole Aeropress procedure at least once a day for my requisite morning cup (I've gotten my personal method down to just over 5 minutes), but for a lazy afternoon cup? Fuck it, I'll fire up the Keurig. It makes half-decent coffee even with the pre-packaged K Cups, but it's actually not too bad at all if used with fresh ground coffee.

#9 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

I'm not a big coffee drinker but I can vouch for the Nespresso pods.

#10 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

I have a nespresso and an aeropress at home and to be honest, the coffee pods will never come close to the coffee I make with the aeropress and it literally takes a minute to make coffee with an aeropress so to me it's a no brainer.

#11 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Not really, just take that little extra time to make fresh coffee and you will reap the benefits.

#12 Posted by MEATBALL (3068 posts) -

I'm not a Will Smith-esque coffe guy in the slightest, but I do enjoy coffee. I find pods are good enough for me and make coffee ridiculously easy.

#13 Posted by JoeBigfoot (106 posts) -

@Thrillhouse87: I'd only recommend them at work. We have a nespresso machine in the office and it does the job, also the capsules are quite cheap (0.25p a coffee). They're good because of the lack of mess though you end up firing through too much coffee. As far as coffee quality goes, they're drinkable but not the best.

For home I'd recommend a proper coffee setup.

#14 Posted by mosespippy (4033 posts) -

@Thrillhouse87: Will Smith hates them for a number of reasons. Firstly, you have no idea how long the coffee has been ground. It could be freshly ground or it could be a month old ground depending on how far you are from the manufacturer and how fast their transport can ship product. Secondly, coffee is compostable, coffee filters are compostable, coffee pods are not; they are land fill.

#15 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I personally think they're sub-par at best. I've never really enjoyed a "coffee-pod" cup of coffee and will always take fresh ground, or even pre-ground over a coffee-pod. The coffee I get out of a coffee-pod almost always tastes watered down and really lacks the coffee taste I'm looking for.

If you're so inclined to use a coffee-pod, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get flavored coffee. It's an abomination. The artificial flavoring is ridiculously overwhelming rather than being subtle notes like typical coffee.

#16 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Stick with just getting a good grinder or just getting it ground on site. Plus on those times when you might want an extra amount of coffee but not a full amount, ground coffee is much better than a pod as you can't really split the pods.

#17 Posted by wrecks (2210 posts) -

I've been using a Keurig for about 5 years. Use it almost everyday. I buy pods/k-cups every now and then, but mostly use my own blend of coffee with the reusable k-cup.

#18 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Unless your Will Smith you'll be fine I use em all the time. They taste good and are extremely convenient

#19 Posted by Brenderous (1097 posts) -

You have to grind your beans just before you use them to get all the oils and stuff. But coffee pods are fine if you're used to pre-ground stuff anyway.

#20 Posted by Slow_pC (241 posts) -

I have had a Keurig for about 3 years and enjoy it for quick coffee. I have a ekobrew as well for it and use fresh beans in that , works great :)

#21 Edited by ImBigInJapan (255 posts) -

I find most coffee pods to taste a bit weak. I like strong coffee (I'm a French Press guy). Plus coffee pods are estimated to cost about $50 per pound of coffee, and there's lots of excess packaging waste.

#22 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Coffee from those pod machines tastes like piss and is absolutely extortionate. Buy an Aeropress, a low-end burr grinder and any normal, pre-roasted whole beans from your local supermarket and you'll have ten times the quality for a fraction of the price.

#23 Posted by Ben_H (3311 posts) -

My brother has one of those machines and I used it several times before he moved out. Some of the stuff is actually pretty good, some of it is downright awful. The hot chocolate was terrible.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Stop wasting your time and just spend hundreds of dollars on the best.

#25 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3105 posts) -

This is all new to me.