• 70 results
Posted by BeachThunder (12305 posts) 1 year, 19 days ago

Poll: Are Google good or evil? (167 votes)

Good 53%
Evil 47%

Google used to have the slogan 'don't be evil' (maybe they still do, I don't know). However, people seem to have become progressively more negative towards Google recently (particularly with the new YouTube comments). So, do you think the slogan holds true? Are Google 'good' or 'evil' now.

Yes, this is a black or white poll. Choose whichever is the closest to the feeling you have in your heart.

#1 Edited by xyzygy (10066 posts) -

I don't know. I just don't like Google and use nothing they offer. I don't necessarily think they're good or evil though.

So evil? It's so harsh though.

#2 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1192 posts) -

I think they're Chaotic Good.

#3 Posted by schreiberty (208 posts) -

I like google as a search engine but dont care for anything else they do. Theyre definately not evil though. I doubt they do anything with malice.

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Somebody's been browsing Crackedね?

#5 Posted by believer258 (12105 posts) -

Google Plus wouldn't accept my real name when it asked and wanted proof, so those motherfuckers are monsters.

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

In the grand scheme of things...does it matter? You just want your shit to work right?

#7 Posted by CaLe (4040 posts) -

They are the best, better than all the rest. If I ever want to find something on the internet, who has my back every single time? It's Google, that's who. They make a phone and that's cool, but I got their tablet instead, even cooler. They make little games out of their logo so you know they have heart. So ask yourself again, is Google your friend?

Answer: YES.

#8 Posted by redefaulted (2802 posts) -

Since when should the internet's reaction to anything become evidence for someone to judge them good or evil? I really like Google, and all the avenues they try to advance through. Some are successful, some aren't. It's really disgusting how people have been reacting on YouTube's comment section, and I hope Google sticks with in just in spite of how disgusting they are.

#9 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

It's still mostly good.

At least, as good as an evil giant corporation can be.

#10 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

The Verge: Larry Page wants to 'set aside a part of the world' for unregulated experimentation

"That's when his response got really interesting. "There are many exciting things you could do that are illegal or not allowed by regulation," Page said. "And that's good, we don't want to change the world. But maybe we can set aside a part of the world." He likened this potential free-experimentation zone to Burning Man and said that we need "some safe places where we can try things and not have to deploy to the entire world." Google is already well-known for coming up with some pretty interesting ideas — the idea of seeing what Page could come up with in this lawless beta-test country is simultaneously exciting and a bit terrifying."

I'm pretty sure he said that he wants Google to do prescription drugs, and that your health profile should be available to all doctors through Google +.

#11 Edited by csl316 (9267 posts) -

I have to keep helping my mom with gmail because it seems to change every time I see it, for no reason. Boo.

#12 Posted by RecSpec (3911 posts) -

All corporations are either evil or failures.

#13 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1628 posts) -

Google Plus wouldn't accept my real name when it asked and wanted proof, so those motherfuckers are monsters.

I really want to know what your name is now.

#14 Edited by mlarrabee (3031 posts) -

Did you hear about Google StreetView cars skimming private WiFi data?

Good overall, with many pockets of really scummy--honestly, evil, in some cases--actions.

By the way, do you like my commas?

#15 Posted by Griffinmills (195 posts) -

I don't know about evil, exactly, but starting quite a while ago they continually have implemented changes I'm strongly against. Particularly the forced filtering of searches and the closing of the google home thing, iGoogle I think it was called, my wife loved that thing. I still have a little script to change the small g to the old capital G. /chemtrails!

#16 Posted by believer258 (12105 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I really want to know what your name is now.

Gunnar Hamundarson. Google just didn't want to believe that I was named after an honest to God badass.

Actually, it's not quite that exciting - but one of the guys that created Batman does have my last name.

#17 Edited by RazielCuts (2984 posts) -

Gooeeeevil.

#18 Posted by Stonyman65 (2823 posts) -

Secretly evil.

#19 Edited by OtakuGamer (1283 posts) -

Google is sort of like Microsoft. Microsoft likes shoving Kinect and their shitty metro design in everything. Google likes shoving Google+ and their shitty excessive white space design in everything. Google loves spying on people, so does Microsoft.

#20 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1874 posts) -

Google is sort of like Microsoft. Microsoft likes shoving Kinect and their shitty metro design in everything. Google likes shoving Google+ and their shitty excessive white space design in everything.

True, but whereas Microsoft tried to take away consumer rights with always online DRM plans and only backed off because they were called out on it, Google stood on the side of good during the whole SOPA/PIPA situation.

#21 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

Real dirty and evil in bed, mmmmmmm.

#22 Posted by OtakuGamer (1283 posts) -

@doctorchimp said:

In the grand scheme of things...does it matter? You just want your shit to work right?

The thing is... they are changing shit that isn't broken to make sure that it is broken.

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5909 posts) -

I definitely think they're good in comparison to most other corporations.

#24 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2571 posts) -

They're probably pretty evil... they only own the entire world. GLOBAL DOMINATION ALL HAIL GOOGLE

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

Um, why no neutral option? WHY SO BLACK AND WHITE MAN?

#26 Edited by ch3burashka (5180 posts) -

It don't matter if you're black or white.

Also, they're a company interested in money. That's less about good and evil and more about exploiting circumstances to make money.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

It don't matter if you're black or white.

Also, they're a company interested in money. That's less about good and evil and more about exploiting circumstances to make money.

Which is exactly why I fall in the neutral camp.

#28 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

@otakugamer said:

Google is sort of like Microsoft. Microsoft likes shoving Kinect and their shitty metro design in everything. Google likes shoving Google+ and their shitty excessive white space design in everything.

True, but whereas Microsoft tried to take away consumer rights with always online DRM plans and only backed off because they were called out on it, Google stood on the side of good during the whole SOPA/PIPA situation.

Not sure those two are directly connected, in fact I'm pretty sure MS was on the side of good in the SOPA/PIPA debate, as well. Also, by your logic in the first point, that would make Valve pretty damn close to evil, wouldn't it?

#29 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

The word Google is one letter away from spelling out Good. So...

#30 Posted by TheHT (11686 posts) -

It's still mostly good.

It's an anti-villain!

#31 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

@theht said:

@truthtellah said:

It's still mostly good.

It's an anti-villain!

There you go! That's what they are. The antithesis to any good anti-hero, an anti-villain!

#32 Posted by ZolRoyce (778 posts) -

So far it seems like they are mostly good with the capability of being evil.
Think the Rachni from Mass Effect or that Death Claw colony from Fallout 2. They seem cool and everything and for all we know totally are, but man, if they ever turn on you they could destrooooy you.

#33 Edited by chrissedoff (2159 posts) -

All corporations have a tendency toward evil. That's why we make laws restricting just how evil they're allowed to get. We're failing at this goal all over the western world presently.

#34 Posted by Belegorm (600 posts) -

I say good. I search shit on google, and I find it (did you know the #1 searched thing on other search engines is "google"?). Also gmail has never served me wrong in many years of using it.

Sure google might do other crazy things but I use google for searching and gmail, and it does those things well.

#35 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1874 posts) -

@greggd said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@otakugamer said:

Not sure those two are directly connected, in fact I'm pretty sure MS was on the side of good in the SOPA/PIPA debate, as well. Also, by your logic in the first point, that would make Valve pretty damn close to evil, wouldn't it?

I never said they were directly connected. Implementation of a user interface some people don't like is not even in the realm of what can be classified as evil, as was stated in comment I replied to. I was demonstrating some more relevant points on the topic of each of company and their "evilness" if you will.

As far as Microsoft in the SOPA/PIPA debate, MIcrosoft began supporting it when it was low profile, but after the internet took hold and the public outcry came in full force, they publicly spoke out against it, though they didn't actually do anything (such as the internet blackout, which google did in fact participate in).

Also, I think when the whole Microsoft always online DRM/no used game thing was happening, the conversation was had thoroughly about why the way Valve does DRM is entirely different and mostly ok in comparison to what Microsoft tried to do. Valve deals in an entirely digital space, not a physical one, so the restrictions aren't as forced and intrusive and Microsoft's would have been. Also, steam isn't an always online service.

I'm not going to go into that further because that conversion was done to death around E3. I also didn't say DRM = evil, I was simply showing some examples beyond user interface issues and social media integration that demonstrate the tendencies of each of the companies mentioned.

Even if you want to say the DRM issues between Valve and Microsoft are similar, that is only a surface issue. It takes barely any digging to find their tendencies beyond that are completely different. Valve releases free DLC and supports their community with frequent sales and community events. Microsoft charges you a monthly fee to use third party services you already pay for and charges more than retail prices for digital versions of games.

#36 Posted by Elwoodan (867 posts) -

the new comment system just randomly marks comments as spam right? seems like a great idea to me. mark ALL youtube comments as spam.

#37 Edited by Itwastuesday (981 posts) -

I'll defer to Mr. Bogost on this matter http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/what-is-evil-to-google/280573/

#38 Edited by bybeach (4978 posts) -

I have more trouble with Microsoft than Google. MS right now is holding up my playing Dark souls on PC because of a glitch in my Windows live. It will be cleared up finally next week, but the 30 day wait till they got to it sucks. And it is not the first time I have experienced some arrogance from MS, though in the main they seem to hold some line. X-box 360 got fixed cheap compared to the PS3. After the rep let me know of the shouldering of tribulations his great company (and himself) were suffering through. I gave him an A for loyalty actually, he was decent.

Google seems fine to me, those aspects I use. The Search engine, auto-fill and spell-check are favorites of mine. Lately spell check has been on -off. I hope that is not retaliation for not using Chrome, have not heard of such.

#39 Posted by Aetheldod (3682 posts) -

Corporation = Evil .... this aint no rocket science son :/

#40 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

Only a matter of time when they start locking down video game videos.

#41 Posted by Juzie (168 posts) -

Definitely Evil. Google has been brainwashing people into thinking they are know it alls... when really they are just spoonfed their information from their evil overlord.

#42 Posted by audioBusting (1644 posts) -

Yo man, I'm gonna blow your mind. GOOGLE: Starts GOOd, GraduaLly (turns) Evil. It's just a matter of time before the prophecy is fulfilled!

#43 Edited by Korolev (1723 posts) -

They're a company - I'm sure the founders initially had ideals, but over time when you accrue that much power and you are presented with so many opportunities, your moral compass starts to point in some pretty interesting directions. I'm sure the Google heads would claim that they are not evil. But it's not up to them to decide whether they are evil or not - it's up to the rest of us to decided if they are evil or not.

I don't think they're evil at the moment, but I think they're headed down a pretty dark path. I have no problems with what they are doing with YouTube comments, because YouTube comments are horrible and it's their site, so they can do what they want with it.

#44 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

They do some good stuff, but they also do a lot of really fucked shit.

#45 Posted by NTM (7519 posts) -

I just use it as a search engine, that's it, so uh... I don't know.

#46 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1087 posts) -

There's no such thing as a good company.

#47 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

I think they're Chaotic Good.

This really is the best descriptor, they shake things up, but generally try to advance society.

#48 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1094 posts) -

They are 75% Good and 25% gle.

#49 Edited by Abendlaender (2867 posts) -

They are as evil as Apple or MS are. They obviously do a lot a shaddy stuff but probably nothing that terrible (I hope so). They are not in the Monsanto, BP and "EA"(hurrdurrworstcompanyever) stratosphere of evil.

#50 Posted by Akyho (1693 posts) -

Quoted for truth.