Are Jeff and Dan really Lords now?

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zamolxes

So I saw them talking about someone giving them some land in England and making them Lords. Is that for real or some joke? I imagine someone really rich giving them like an inch of land each and making them Lords cuz why not.

This is Jeff's letter thing:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Good lord.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I heard them talking about this, but seeing that document makes it way cooler. I would laugh my ass off if it was somehow true.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Technically yes but who cares. It's from a site that sells the title of Lord.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Sergio

Sure. There are websites that claim to sell small plots of land in Scotland or England. It's not a noble title, just that they are landowners. Guessing someone did this and gave them to the guys at Giant Bomb.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I believe only the queen of England could actually make them Lords. This is probably in the same league as owning a piece of the moon.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@nictel said:

I believe only the queen of England could actually make them Lords. This is probably in the same league as owning a piece of the moon.

This is closer to what CAH did when they bought Hawaii 2 and licensed a square foot to each person who took part of Holiday Bullshit 2014.

vucubcaquix88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vucubcaquix88

From what I understand the concept had largely had to do with land ownership and buying a lordship, if my memory is correct, was a bit part of the expansion of the power of the merchant class, who largely were not of "noble blood" but came in to funds to acquire titles through trading. So as much as the title means anything in this day and age (and in the US), I believe they are lords.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

I think the difference is that by doing this, you can legally change your documents to refer to you as Lord or Lady.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, they're actually playing Fortune Street in real life now?

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because it isn't a peerage. It just isn't illegal to call yourself a lord, and someone decided to make money on this fact.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's top.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Hunter5024

I have to agree with the dude on twitter who said this is probably some promotional thing. I don't know why else so many game dudes would be getting these unless there's some really rich guy who follows all of them. These lordships cost the equivalent of like 40 usd. And also I'm totally going to buy one.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. If land ownership was the only thing that made someone a Lord, there would be a lot more Lords in this country. It's just a nonsense thing like naming a star or whatever.

dynamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord Ryckert has a certain ring to it.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Some-human

It really is the same as buying Land on the moon or naming a star: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_titles_of_nobility.

In British honorary title rules, you can only have one Lord of an estate and it isn't as simple as just buying a plot of land. The lordship has to be recognised by the College of Arms (England) or Court of Lord Lyon (Scotland).

They're pretty much fancy bits of paper. Some would say it's a scam because they don't explicitly state that it's not a real thing, but I think if someone's dumb enough to believe they can buy a peerage from Amazon for £20 when some rich folk bribe the Government Millions of pounds for one then let them believe it.

Some of them actually change your name too so your official name on your passport would be Mr. Lord Dan Ryckert. (As in your first name is now Lord).

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Of course they are lords...lords of gaming...

....ahem I will take my coat and leave now.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pcorb

I'm legitimately disappointed in Jeff. I thought he knew the real Britain. The Britain of Goldie Lookin' Chain and Buckfast. And then he goes and falls for this shit.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can buy titles here for shits and giggles. http://www.lordtitles.co.uk/

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@pcorb said:

I'm legitimately disappointed in Jeff. I thought he knew the real Britain. The Britain of Goldie Lookin' Chain and Buckfast. And then he goes and falls for this shit.

I don't think he's the one who bought it. I haven't listened to this week's bombcast though.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb: as an Englishman I have to ask, what the Eff is buckfast?

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's real to me dammit.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@alexw00d: buckfast http://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2014/feb/03/buckfast-triangle-alcoholic-drink-monks-west-scotland

It's a alcohol from Scotland thats pretty popular on GB. I think Danny brought some for guys one time

As for the title I remember Chris Remo getting one like the Jeff. Its probably silly thing you do when you are a fan of a podcast.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#27  Edited By isomeri

Yeah from what I understand it's all a bit of a victim-less scam. Since seeing those posts on Twitter I haven't been able to get Lords and Ladies out of my mind though.

Loading Video...

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff will always be the lord of our hearts

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rafaelfc

They are the Game Lords, now that's a rap group name for ya!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A website tells me that I own a crater on Mars that I named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis. I doubt I own a crater on Mars that I named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a Lord as in "The House of Lords" (which you either inherit or are given for lifelong work by the Queen, sometimes by the request of the Prime Minister). That said, if you legally own both the ground and contents of a "manor" you can call yourself "_, Lord of [manor name]" though no one will take it seriously (this is a relic of the post-feudal system).

I used to know this topic very well, but I have since forgotten it (I had to look it up again for this).

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Haha, I was just about to post that same video, but you beat me to it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Dollar for dollar, or pound for pound it better to become a ordained minister so you can marry people. At least you can do something with that, and call yourself Reverend Fred...or some such title.

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may be reading WAAAY too much into this, but anyone else think this may be some sort of viral marketing thing for a game coming soon or something? Has anyone outside of Giant Bomb in the games press received one of these around the same time as Brad, Dan and Jeff?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Next thing you'll tell me Steven Regal isn't actually a Lord. I hate everything.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By development

They have as much power and influence as the queen now. Did they make that joke? I haven't listened to it yet.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a paper that declares me Lord Hunter5024 of GiantBomb.com

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dollar for dollar, or pound for pound it better to become a ordained minister so you can marry people. At least you can do something with that, and call yourself Reverend Fred...or some such title.

I remember from watching one of the old Super Replays on gameinformer (Super Metroid, I believe) Dan mentioning he paid a fee to a website and could actually marry people. But if that's true or just a joke, I don't know.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By veektarius

@development: They might have more influence. They do run a site that provides advice on game purchases.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
No Caption Provided

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz said:

A website tells me that I own a crater on Mars that I named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis. I doubt I own a crater on Mars that I named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis.

What if I told you that you own a crater on Mars that you named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis? Would you believe that you own a crater on Mars that you named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis?

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@bonorbitz said:

What if I told you that you own a crater on Mars that you named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis? Would you believe that you own a crater on Mars that you named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis?

Of course he wouldn't believe you that he owned a crater on Mars that he named "Egon Spenler" in honor of Harold Ramis? Why would you believe that he owned a crater on Mars that he named "Egon Spengler" in honor of Harold Ramis?

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CByrne

In before 1886 promotional marketing...

I don't know seems dumb and not legit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A ton of industry people have been getting these. This is just some dumb marketing thing for The Order, isn't it?

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

Not a Lord as in "The House of Lords" (which you either inherit or are given for lifelong work by the Queen, sometimes by the request of the Prime Minister).

I want to see Jeff wearing a poofy legislator's wig now.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess that makes me a lord, too. Four-or-five-bottles-of-Laphroaig's worth a lord.