• 170 results
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

I work part-time in a deli which means I get the delight of meetings customers from all walks of life. It's a... mixed... blessing.

About a month ago I had a gentleman come in and order a salad. He then informed me that I needed to change my gloves and replace ALL of the cutlery on the deck before I touched his food because he was vegan. I asked him what that has anything to do with it, and he scoffed and said that none of his food can touch animal byproducts and the like. Not wanting to argue, I did as he requested.

I didn't really think much of it at the time. I get picky customers from time to time (this needs to be sliced horizontally, not vertically; place this in a diagonal pattern, etc.) so I'm used to unusual requests. However I had a lady come in yesterday that also informed me that she was a vegan and she basically asked me to get all new ingredients from the cooler because the veggies were in close proximity to the meat. Well there's no fucking way I was going to do all that, especially since there were about 8 people waiting in line behind her so I just pointed to the door. Needless to say, she was not happy.

Now, I don't have any vegan friends (at least I don't think I do) and I've got nothing against what people decide to put in their mouths, but honestly, are all vegans such snobs or is this just an outlier? Because I can understand if you're allergic to something and asking for a change of gloves/etc, but this seems like taking it to the extreme.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

No. But most are self righteous arseholes.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NickL

Vegans are basically the hipsters of the vegetarian world.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By I_smell

People who are snobs don't usually say "Yes I'm a snob." ...Just a heads up for where this thread is going.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Mordukai said:

No. But most are self righteous arseholes.

I can confirm this.  

@Enigma777 said:

I work part-time in a deli which means I get the delight of meetings customers from all walks of life. It's a... mixed... blessing.

About a month ago I had a gentleman come in and order a salad. He then informed me that I needed to change my gloves and replace ALL of the cutlery on the deck before I touched his food because he was vegan. I asked him what that has anything to do with it, and he scoffed and said that none of his food can touch animal byproducts and the like. Not wanting to argue, I did as he requested.

I didn't really think much of it at the time. I get picky customers from time to time (this needs to be slices horizontally, not vertically; place this in a diagonal pattern, etc.) so I'm used to unusual requests. However I had a lady come in yesterday that also informed me that she was a vegan and she basically asked me to get all new ingredients from the cooler because the veggies were in close proximity to the meat. Well there's no fucking way I was going to do all that, especially since there were about 8 people waiting in line behind her so I just pointed to the door. Needless to say, she was not happy.

Now, I don't have any vegan friends (at least I don't think I do) and I've got nothing against what people decide to put in their mouths, but honestly, are all vegans such snobs or is this some special case? Because I can understand if you're allergic to something and asking for a change of gloves/etc, but this seems like taking it to the extreme.

Also work in a deli. We get people who cant have "Pork" And have to spend about 5 mins cleaning EVERYTHING And change our gloves between touching EVERYTHING. So I know how you feel. If they want such little things carried out there is a Health food store not far from here. (Which I tell them) 
Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Philantrophy

Young or old? Maybe age has something to do with it, I can see younger people feeling that they have to show their lifestyle more.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Enigma777

@I_smell said:

People who are snobs don't usually say "Yes I'm a snob."

Just a heads up for where this thread is going.

I understand that. It's why the thread title isn't "ATTN Vegans: Are you snobs?"

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ExplodeMode

I don't know most vegans.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

I believe a Venn diagram is in order.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

I don't know. I've never met one. My guess is the users with the most impassioned posts on here likely haven't either.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spartanlolz92

yeah most that i have had experience with are selfrighteous.

though one i met wasnt just apart of her religion tried to go out of her way to make sure it didnt affect hangingout and the like

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enigma777

@Philantrophy said:

Young or old? Maybe age has something to do with it, I can see younger people feeling that they have to show their lifestyle more.

The gentleman had gray hair, so I'd say he was probably around 50. The lady seemed like she was 30-something.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Of course they are. Trying to cut back on meat consumption for health reasons is one thing, but refusing to eat it at all? That's just un-American.

No Caption Provided
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany

Those people sound dumb. As a vegetarian, all I say is no meat/chicken when ordering.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

No. They are the only non-zombies in a fully zombie world. This is what Kirby has taught me.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wjb

I know a few, and although they wish all people were vegan, they aren't unreasonable. I live in a fairly decent sized city, though, so they usually go to stores or restaurants that specialize in their lifestyle.

But vegans can be snobs, yes. Anyone that scoffs at someone for not being familiar with vegan/kosher (and not having much of a reason to) is a snob. BUT OBVIOUSLY IT'S YOUR FAULT, OBVIOUSLY!

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eugenesaxe

I don't know any vegans at all, and no strict vegetarians. Those who claim to be either one online are holier-than-thou pains in the ass.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I know heaps of vegans and vegetarians due to where I live/work. Some are picky some aren't. Example, if there's a chicken curry some people pick out the chicken and eat the curry no problem. Others avoid the curry at all costs.

OP you're just unfortunate to come across two picky/arsehole ones. Thats their choice and usually don't mind waiting so long as they're happy with their service. You weren't providing them with good service imo. You're there to serve, not be judgemental on their expectations. Sure they demands were unreasonable (waiting time for others etc) but that doesn't excuse you not providing service the customer required.

p.s. I would've done the same thing with that lady though ;)

Avatar image for p_pigly_hogswine
P_Pigly_Hogswine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By P_Pigly_Hogswine

I encounter quite a few vegans out and about (I live in a fairly hipsterized part of the city) and I wouldn't say they're snobs.

I will say they're often self-righteous, rude, preachy, intrusive, and annoying. I find they'll often comment on other people's diet choices while sitting next to them at a cafe/restaurant (had one refer to my meal containing meat as "what a waste of life"), and tend to be what we call "professional students" or what Portlandia calls "Young retirees". Late-20s thru 30s alternatives. Even my vegetarian friends don't rate them.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Most of them believe they are extremely special snowflakes.

@P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

I encounter quite a few vegans out and about (I live in a fairly hipsterized part of the city) and I wouldn't say they're snobs.

I will say they're often self-righteous, rude, preachy, intrusive, and annoying. I find they'll often comment on other people's diet choices while sitting next to them at a cafe/restaurant (had one refer to my meal containing meat as "what a waste of life"), and tend to be what we call "professional students" or what Portlandia calls "Young retirees". Late-20s thru 30s alternatives. Even my vegetarian friends don't rate them.

My city is full of these types of people as well, feels bad.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Enigma777

@Rebel_Scum said:

I know heaps of vegans and vegetarians due to where I live/work. Some are picky some aren't. Example, if there's a chicken curry some people pick out the chicken and eat the curry no problem. Others avoid the curry at all costs.

OP you're just unfortunate to come across two picky/arsehole ones. Thats their choice and usually don't mind waiting so long as they're happy with their service. You weren't providing them with good service imo. You're there to serve, not be judgemental on their expectations. Sure they demands were unreasonable (waiting time for others etc) but that doesn't excuse you not providing service the customer required.

Well the owner keeps telling us that we're allowed to deny service to customers. I've seen him kick people out for the smallest of things. He's sorta like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. I told him about the incident afterwards and he just laughed and slapped me on the back.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Philantrophy

My answer to the vegans that look down on others, I respect your non meat life so you better respect my meat filled one.

Funkofages

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Funkofages

To echo a few sentiments, yes they can be picky but most importantly, it's their right to be picky. They have the right to have their food how they want it, and you have the right to refuse service. If you tell them to kick rocks, I'm sure somewhere on the internet a forum thread will be started entitled "Are most deli workers snobs?"

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Example1013

No, peta members are snobs.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As a vegan, I feel there's nothing wrong with taking a stance against animal abuse, and a healthier diet never killed anyone, but you should not use your habits to unjustly put other people down. Personally, I don't eat meat much to begin with, and can live with almond milk and cheese substitutes, so becoming a vegan made sense.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Funkofages said:

To echo a few sentiments, yes they can be picky but most importantly, it's their right to be picky. They have the right to have their food how they want it, and you have the right to refuse service. If you tell them to kick rocks, I'm sure somewhere on the internet a forum thread will be started entitled "Are most deli workers snobs?"

Once they start holding up a line full of hungry people they cease being within their rights. People like that absolutely deserve to be told off in public so they can learn how be considerate in a public place.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By benson

I know some vegans, they're good people but yeah they can get self-righteous sometimes (I think it's a more appropriate adjective than snob in this case).

Still, you have to consider the issue from their point of view: if you believed that meat is murder and made the decision to not participate in the exploitation of animals, would you just stand there and say nothing when people around you are using meat, something that you consider immoral and ugly? I'm going to assume that you're not a pedophile, so wouldn't you speak up if people around you were trading pictures of naked kids and talking about how sweet the little boy they touched yesterday was?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I just laugh when they think they're eating "healthier" by abstaining from all animal products.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King

I know that I've already said something in this thread, but am I the only person who mistook this title for "Are most vaginas snobs"? And should I make that thread?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@benson said:

I know some vegans, they're good people but yeah they can get self-righteous sometimes (I think it's a more appropriate adjective than snob in this case).

Still, you have to consider the issue from their point of view: if you believed that meat is murder and made the decision to not participate in the exploitation of animals, would you just stand there and say nothing when people around you are using meat, something that you consider immoral and ugly? I'm going to assume that you're not a pedophile, so wouldn't you speak up if people around were trading pictures of naked kids and talking about how sweet the little boy they touched yesterday was?

That's an absolutely ridiculous comparison.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By habster3

I think that, like all people, they have the potential to show elitist attitudes; it's just that their elitism seems more obvious than some others because... well, it's something America/the world just isn't used to. That being said, however, one of my friends is a vegan and she's one of the sweetest girls I've ever met. Just saying.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Orbitz89

I am against all forms of Vegetarianism and generally dislike any self righteous ponce who wants to get in my way of enjoying a balanced diet.

Human beings are Omnivores for fucks sake! we're meant to eat both meat and vegetables.

So in answer to your question about "are all vegans snobs?" Yeah, in my experience they are. I don't care if that sounds prejudice.. i hate Vegetarians.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zeforgotten

Maybe most snobs are vegan? :o 

I think it's a little bit of both. Some are snobs and some aren't. 
Snobs are on the meat eating side of things too! 

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By korwin

If they're Vegan by way of cultural reasons generally not no. If they're Westerner vegan's by choice... then generally yes, those people often suck.

I was once in an indian restaurant having dinner when some stupid women in her 20's started making a scene with someone she was sitting with because some of his food or "DEAD FLESH" as she referred to it was near her cutlery having fallen off a plate.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By eroticfishcake

Like any other sub culture they're a mixed bag of people. I don't judge unless they make ridiculous requests/statements (like they lady you encountered). It doesn't help that they have that sort of reputation though. A lot of my non-Asian friends think I'm vegetarian/vegan since I eat a lot of tofu. You'll think by now that sort is a bit more mainstream in Western cultures but apparently it isn't.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NTM

@P_Pigly_Hogswine said:

I don't think I've ever known a vegan, a vegetarian sure, but not so much vegan. If a vegan that I didn't know bothered me in public about what to eat and what not to eat, I'd shove a hoagie roll with roast beef and mayonnaise down their throats. No I wouldn't, but I'd want to to tell them in my own way that they're idiots.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gerhabio

no

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mandude

Only snobby vegans are snobs. You might never even know a non snobby vegan since they wont make it blatantly apparent, so be careful not to stereotype.

Nilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nilo

This thread is pretty dumb.

FraggingRights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By FraggingRights

I've never met a vegan that didn't have to CONSTANTLY remind me that he/she was a vegan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Pescatarians are the best.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UltimAXE
@Enigma777 said:

@Rebel_Scum said:

Well the owner keeps telling us that we're allowed to deny service to customers. I've seen him kick people out for the smallest of things. He's sorta like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. I told him about the incident afterwards and he just laughed and slapped me on the back.

This might sound weird, but that's awesome because I hate customer service robots. It's one of the reasons why I've never wanted to go back to the service industry. Having worked in call centers for a number of years, I can safely say that the customer is not always right. If you're that particular about how your food is prepared, then you really should just be making it yourself.

Don't know any vegans or vegetarians myself. I know that you're not completely serious with your question, but I do my best not to generalize like that, otherwise I would hate everybody at all times. Some people are just way too passionate about their beliefs.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Most? Yes. All? No.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By crusader8463

@UltimAXE said:

@Enigma777 said:

@Rebel_Scum said:

This might sound weird, but that's awesome because I hate customer service robots. It's one of the reasons why I've never wanted to go back to the service industry. Having worked in call centers for a number of years, I can safely say that the customer is not always right. If you're that particular about how your food is prepared, then you really should just be making it yourself. Don't know any vegans or vegetarians myself. I know that you're not completely serious with your question, but I do my best not to generalize like that, otherwise I would hate everybody at all times. Some people are just way too passionate about their beliefs.

As someone who work(ed)s in a call centre I can not say enough how awesome it is to have a boss/job that lets you call out people being idiots. Obviously you gotta be nice and friendly to the customer, but there are just some pretentious snobby douche bags that don't deserve to be treated with respect. I have my last day coming up this Tuesday and I hope to hell I get a ton of those people because I plan to have some fun that day.

As for your question, I only really know of one person who's a vegetarian, but I don't think he's vegan because he will eat stuff like french fries cooked in grease. He was a nice guy and never really came across as snoby or an asshole. He had his moments when I asked him a few questions about his life choice of eating like that, but he was probably just in a bad mood that day. Never really got to know him that well but he struck me as a very laid back friendly person.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Arker101

@ZeForgotten said:

Maybe most snobs are vegan?
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By recroulette

YES! YES! YES! WORLD! HEAVYWEIGHT! CHAMPION!

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By DoctorWelch

Basically, the only way not to be an annoying self-righteous snobby dick and also be a vegetarian/vegan is to do it with the only motivation being health/diet. One good way to know which end the person falls on is to see if he or she actively tells others about being a vegetarian/vegan.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SlightConfuse
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By toowalrus

If they're not eating animal products because they're unhealthy, and just feel like living a healthier life, then whatever, more power to them, but if they legitimately believe that ANIMALS have fuckin' souls and deserve total animal liberation, then they're fuckin' idiots (who can also be snobby).

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By cinemandrew

@Enigma777: Both my wife and I are vegetarians, as is my sister. My dad is also a vegan, and none of us would have acted like that. There are certain things I won't deal with that others don't understand. For instance, picking the meat off of a slice pepperoni pizza is not the same as a slice of plain cheese. I'm never rude about it though. I don't like being an annoyance, or a burden. It's my choice to be vegetarian, and I don't expect everyone else to go out of their way to compensate for my choice. If I'm getting food with people, and they don't already know about my diet, I'll let them know, and try to offer some suggestions, but I'm never insistent. I spent years eating french fries at places like Burger King and Carl's Jr. while my friends ate giant burgers. It's so much easier to be vegetarian than it was when I first started.