#1 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

To me they are pretty much the same thing. One is just wrapped up and had its organs removed and then salted. But they are both undead and reanimated and eat people.

#2 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

I don't think so. I believe that zombies are found OUTSIDE of museums and Egypt.

#3 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (987 posts) -

Zombies normally come from a virus of some kind, a Mummy is from a curse or religious explanation. I say there different.

#4 Posted by Sbaitso (507 posts) -

A mummy is just a specially wrapped and prepared corpse. A zombie is a reanimated corpse. Mummies, historically, have stayed dead. So far.

#5 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

No - they are magic!

#6 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

Aren't mummies cursed or something? Zombies are just, zombies.

#7 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

@Sbaitso said:

A mummy is just a specially wrapped and prepared corpse. A zombie is a reanimated corpse. Mummies, historically, have stayed dead. So far.

He means in fiction.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13138 posts) -

Egyptians valued the heart, lungs and liver far more valuably than the brain, so no, they aren't zombies.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Sbaitso said:

He means in fiction.

I think it depends on whether we're talking about the old school black-and-white mummy that just sort of shuffled around, or the Brendan Fraser mummy that can turn into sandstorms.

#10 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Mummies are real, while Zombies are real only in so much as they are an idea which has been manifested within real minds.

Whether or not you consider such ideas to be real depends on whether you believe the mental processes of the mind to be a real physical state or simply our consciousness' interpretations of our physical state. Understanding the relationship between the brain and the mind – mind-body problem is one of the central issues in the history of philosophy – is a challenging problem both philosophically and scientifically. There are three major philosophical schools of thought concerning the answer: dualism, materialism, and idealism. Dualism holds that the mind exists independently of the brain; materialism holds that mental phenomena are identical to neuronal phenomena; and idealism holds that only mental phenomena exist.

The most straightforward scientific evidence that there is a strong relationship between the physical brain matter and the mind is the impact physical alterations to the brain have on the mind, such as with traumatic brain injury and psychoactive drug use.

In addition to the philosophical questions, the relationship between mind and brain involves a number of scientific questions, including understanding the relationship between mental activity and brain activity, the exact mechanisms by which drugs influence cognition, and the neural correlates of consciousness.

Through most of history many philosophers found it inconceivable that cognition could be implemented by a physical substance such as brain tissue (that is neurons and synapses). Philosophers such as Patricia Churchland posit that the drug-mind interaction is indicative of an intimate connection between the brain and the mind, not that the two are the same entity. Descartes, who thought extensively about mind-brain relationships, found it possible to explain reflexes and other simple behaviors in mechanistic terms, although he did not believe that complex thought, and language in particular, could be explained by reference to the physical brain alone.

#11 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Snail said:

@Sbaitso said:

He means in fiction.

I think it depends on whether we're talking about the old school black-and-white mummy that just sort of shuffled around, or the Brendan Fraser mummy that can turn into sandstorms.

Is there any other mummy like that? Maybe some dissolve into sand, sure, but not sandstorms.

#12 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

I'm pretty sure mummies don't eat people, though. Also, they don't travel in hordes like zombies do either. This probably should've been a poll.

Sidenote: Your avatar freaks me out.

#13 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

No, because mummies can't turn other people into mummies, which is obviously a key factor in being a zombie.

#14 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10503 posts) -

No, but both are undead entities.

Also, I think the virus vs. magic argument is invalid, because there are plenty of zombies created via magic in numerous things.

#15 Posted by Hunter5024 (5546 posts) -

In a way they are, if you allow your definition of Zombies to be sort of loose. Mummies can have powers though.

#16 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

That's a very good point. I never thought of that.

While they both walk at a snail pace and mumbles a lot (based on pop culture believes), mummies and zombies are two separate entities in my opinion. Like what @Lego_My_Eggo: said, zombies are mostly created from human experiments (eg. Resident Evil, I Am Legend, etc.) whereas mummies originated from supernatural or religious background (eg. The Mummy).

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36051 posts) -

Are zombies zombies anymore?

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'd say that mummies are smarter than zombies and mummies are also cursed by dark magic.

#19 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Zombies are just another type of 'undead'. Zombies, vampires, mummies, and perhaps even Frankenstein's monster all count as undead. Asking if mummies were zombies is like asking if crocodiles are alligators.

edit: @BraveToaster said:

I'd say that mummies are smarter than zombies and mummies are also cursed by dark magic.

Before the whole viral turn zombie fiction has taken, they were also a result of dark magic or voodoo. Just watch Weekend at Bernie's 2 for all your authentic undead educational needs.

edit2: Come to think of it I bet the Romero style lust for brains had its origins with Egyptian mythology, considering they removed the brains but left the hearts during mummification because that's where they thought the soul/mind was located.
#20 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Mummies are like the physical-oriented version of liches. Though they can still place curses.

#21 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I romantically love the idea of the Mummy movies, but they're pretty garbage. They're rebooting them with the creative team behind the Transformers movies, so you know. It's gonna be good. What was I saying?

#22 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (752 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

I romantically love the idea of the Mummy movies, but they're pretty garbage. They're rebooting them with the creative team behind the Transformers movies, so you know. It's gonna be good. What was I saying?

Will the mummies go to Transformer heaven?

#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@buzz_killington: That honestly sounds more entertaining than The actual Mummy movies. They were soooo dull back in the day and I bet they have aged even worse.
#24 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Why aren't there more mummy games?

#25 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Why aren't there more mummy games?

Because mummies aren't things you kill en-masse. They're like liches. They're the huge baddie at the end, not the thing you kill 500 of them on the way in.

#26 Posted by hawkinson76 (355 posts) -

No. Mummies are much stronger, do not eat brains, and are under a gaes (like a quest: recover a gem, destroy intruders, etc).

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36051 posts) -

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

@Video_Game_King said:

'Zombielike-likes'.. characterized by impermanent death.

But a lot of zombies today were never dead in the first place. They get some stupid virus that makes them flesh-eating morons, and boom: they're zombies. Don't question it. They're zombies that never died in the first place.

#28 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

i would say zombies are mindless hordes fuelled by ravenous, brutal instinct while mummies are malicious godkings back from the dead to take over the world (as they see it) once more.

#29 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

my brain is shaking its head and yelling NO! at the top of its lungs

i wonder if brendan fraiser will cameo

#30 Posted by Veektarius (4617 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Egyptians valued the heart, lungs and liver far more valuably than the brain, so no, they aren't zombies.

You win.

#31 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

@Video_Game_King said:

'Zombielike-likes'.. characterized by impermanent death.

But a lot of zombies today were never dead in the first place. They get some stupid virus that makes them flesh-eating morons, and boom: they're zombies. Don't question it. They're zombies that never died in the first place.

The virus kills them. They die. They turn.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36051 posts) -

@Barrock:

Only I've never seen them die. I think Resident Evil established that with the early diary entries.

#33 Posted by Sbaitso (507 posts) -

@Snail: was meant as humor, lacked humor. I apologize.

#34 Posted by alexl86 (620 posts) -

I think the key differential is intelligence. Zombies are "mindless" undead, while I think Mummies are often intelligent. I also think Mummies are tougher and don't fall apart as easily.

#35 Posted by Geralt (316 posts) -

Academic argument on Zombies and Mummies. And I bet most of us are over 25 too.

That's something isn't it.

#36 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

Zombies usually have a brain and love to eat them as well. Mummy's don't have a brain and hate cats.

#37 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

They're hipster zambys.

#38 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Zombies actually prefer to be called Zombobs. There's less negative correlation with the term.

#39 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

Zombies are dumb and go off instinct to eat. It is also usually from some sort of virus or disease.

Mummies are not dumb and are cursed. They have the ability to think and function a lot more than zombies. Watch Bubba Hotep and Dawn of the Dead. Those are good examples to see the differences.

I guess in Land of the Dead a zombie started to think, but that movie was such a pile of shit I am not counting it.

#40 Posted by Brodehouse (9600 posts) -

Zombies and mummies are part of the family of undead, but not the same species. Read your monster manuals people.

#41 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

No, a mummy is something more like a flesh golem and tend to be magical in nature, typically bound to guard a tomb or protect something or other.

Zombies, while either biological or supernatural, are usually defined by their ability to create more zombies (which mummies usually can't do, at least without preparing bodies in similar fashion), by striking in hordes, and by an unthinking lust for brains/blood/whatever.

The only similarity that they share is that they are both dead people, but then again the same could be said of vampires.

#42 Edited by BBAlpert (1377 posts) -

Sorry to add another wrinkle to the situation, but where specifically to skeleton's fit into this whole thing? How much flesh would need to get taken off of a zombie or mummy before you'd start to classify it as a skeleton? 50%? 80%? Does the flesh have to be COMPLETELY gone for it to be a bona fide (yuk yuk) skellington?

Edit: Actually, I propose a new theory. Mummies are the turduckens of the monster world. Monsturduckens, if you will. Think about it, you've got a mummy shuffling around chasing Abbott and Costello and Scooby Doo, but what happens if he gets unwrapped? You've still got a zombie to deal with! So you cut/shoot/burn all the flesh and stuff away, revealing a spooky skeleton! The real kicker is that if by the time you get down to skeleton level and the thing's still chasing you, then you're clearly dealing with supernatural undead, meaning that the skeleton itself is simply a physical conduit for a vengeful g-g-g-ghost!

And who know's what's inside a ghost?! Other than slime, I guess.