• 182 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

On MB's sticky topic: I gotta say, I've never seen a mod on any website come out and call the mean guys on this site dicks and douchebags. It seems as if insulting any user now would quickly get you in trouble, but it IS the internet. Now, I'm not sure if the mods are being too harsh with these new rules, or if they are just being awesome by blatantly calling those select few some angry words which you normally wouldn't see on a website like this. I for one don't want Giant Bomb to turn into another Gamespot or GameFAQs. We do have our right to say what we want, but the First Amendment is a crappy arguement to make, so I won't go into that. Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think about the new sticky, and if it's right or not.

#1 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

On MB's sticky topic: I gotta say, I've never seen a mod on any website come out and call the mean guys on this site dicks and douchebags. It seems as if insulting any user now would quickly get you in trouble, but it IS the internet. Now, I'm not sure if the mods are being too harsh with these new rules, or if they are just being awesome by blatantly calling those select few some angry words which you normally wouldn't see on a website like this. I for one don't want Giant Bomb to turn into another Gamespot or GameFAQs. We do have our right to say what we want, but the First Amendment is a crappy arguement to make, so I won't go into that. Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think about the new sticky, and if it's right or not.

#2 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?

#3 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I think it's great. 

#4 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"I think it's great.  "
I think you're great ;)
#5 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"I think it's great.  "
That's what I'm leaning towards, but it seems as if there is a much smaller number things we can say on GB now.
#6 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

basically, i implied the exact same thing that the stick does weeks ago and it got locked for being flame bait

#7 Posted by prinny_god (327 posts) -
BoG said:
"For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?"
*hugs with prinny flippers* 
#8 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
BoG said:
"For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?"
No, that post didn't insult anyone.  All it's saying is, don't be an asshole. 
#9 Posted by ParrapatehRappa (185 posts) -

It's stupid.

I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.

But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"

People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards.

#10 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

the mods are being mods ... gods amoung men

#11 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
ParrapatehRappa said:
"It's stupid.I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards."
Yeah, the GameFAQs mods need to make their ass cheeks loose and let the sticks drop out.
#12 Posted by ParrapatehRappa (185 posts) -

But then again, it's more a reminder than it is a threat. I can see why the MB made the post. Hopefully Person A will think about that sticky he made and think twice about the remark insinuating person B's mother is a whore.

#13 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -
BoG said:
"For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?"
I think this deserves a lot more thought than people seem to give it.

Most people who are dicks on GiantBomb are dicks to other people that are just as rude, if not more so. So is it okay for the mods to be dicks to people that are dicks to others?
#14 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
Azteris said:
"BoG said:
"For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?"
I think this deserves a lot more thought than people seem to give it. Most people who are dicks on GiantBomb are dicks to other people that are just as rude, if not more so. So is it okay for the mods to be dicks to people that are dicks to others? "
I guess if they are involved in whatever's going on, then yes. However, it's a bit rude in my opinion for somebody to but into a conversation and just start bashing people.
#15 Posted by GDog (36 posts) -

I love democracy in my social and political life. However, the more policing you can have on a web-o-tube forum the better.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

Also, for any mods reading this, I have another question: How far would things have to get out of hand for warnings to be given out?

#17 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I think it is all good.

#18 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
ParrapatehRappa said:
"It's stupid.I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards."
So...basically you are saying "hey, everyone act like jerks"?

Look, I'm a jerk, and an asshole...and I've never really refrained from that.  However, I know where the line is...at least as far as I can tell.  However, some of the ways that newer users have been acting on the forums, as well as some of the older forum users...well, it's even pissed me off once in a while.  Newer users,  I understand...they aren't used to the etiquette yet...but older users know better.

For instance, SmugDarkLoser - the minute he posts a thread, it's neg-bombed.  Why?  Because it's him.  Granted, he writes a FUCKTON of "Halo 3 is teh greatest evar" threads...but even when he said in a blog "hey, I'ma be out for a while, got priorities to take care of"...everyone STILL treated him like an ass...and that was uncalled for.

So are the mods out of line?  Nope.  They are simply trying to keep Giant Bomb's forums from becoming a pure hellhole.

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
#19 Posted by GDog (36 posts) -

Lowtax from Something Awful said that his forums were a mess before they started charging a fee. That helps keep the assholes out. Tight policing of an open forum might be the only way you can keep control.

#20 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"ParrapatehRappa said:
"It's stupid.I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards."
So...basically you are saying "hey, everyone act like jerks"?

Look, I'm a jerk, and an asshole...and I've never really refrained from that.  However, I know where the line is...at least as far as I can tell.  However, some of the ways that newer users have been acting on the forums, as well as some of the older forum users...well, it's even pissed me off once in a while.  Newer users,  I understand...they aren't used to the etiquette yet...but older users know better.

For instance, SmugDarkLoser - the minute he posts a thread, it's neg-bombed.  Why?  Because it's him.  Granted, he writes a FUCKTON of "Halo 3 is teh greatest evar" threads...but even when he said in a blog "hey, I'ma be out for a while, got priorities to take care of"...everyone STILL treated him like an ass...and that was uncalled for.

So are the mods out of line?  Nope.  They are simply trying to keep Giant Bomb's forums from becoming a pure hellhole.

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
"
That actually makes sense. I used to -1 Smug's posts for the hell of it, but recently there's been a massive streak of asshead users who've made be gain a lot of respect for Smug.
#21 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

If this a "relaxed" forum, I rather not have "WE'RE CRACKING DOWN ON DOUCHEBAGS" the first thing I see on the forums. I know the points, I understand what they are doing, but can MB please make the title cleaner?

EDIT- If you think this is bad, check out the IRC.

#22 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -
jakob187 said:

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
"
I personally have a problem with that. What makes you any better?


#23 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -
Azteris said:
"jakob187 said:

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
"
I personally have a problem with that. What makes you any better?"
Just to clarify, I didn't say that, nor do I really believe that.
#24 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
""
Post fail.
#25 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

Considering we can say the word 'fuck' without getting banned for 2 weeks, they are great mods.

#26 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
LtColJaxson said:
"Considering we can say the word 'fuck' without getting banned for 2 weeks, they are great mods."
Yeah, but if it's directed towards someone....
#27 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -
natetodamax said:
"Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
""
Post fail."
While we're on the topic of D-bags....
#28 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"natetodamax said:
"Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
""
Post fail."
While we're on the topic of D-bags...."
I was just joking man. It happens to everyone.
#29 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -
BoG said:
"Azteris said:
"jakob187 said:

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
"
I personally have a problem with that. What makes you any better?"
Just to clarify, I didn't say that, nor do I really believe that.
"
Oh no, I know. I think your post earlier brought a great point. I'm just debating his logic in saying it's perfectly okay.
#30 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

I just love the drama and debating going on. :D I might as well get me some popcorn and watch it continue!  Hope the problem is solved in an intellegant way though. 

#31 Posted by JJOR64 (18894 posts) -

I think the moderators are doing what they should do.  Lock up threads that need to be locked and ban all the mo fo's (sorry for being gangster) that are dicks.

#32 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -
GDog said:
"Lowtax from Something Awful said that his forums were a mess before they started charging a fee. That helps keep the assholes out. Tight policing of an open forum might be the only way you can keep control."
I feel like anytime you police a forum (any type of forum for discussion, not just GiantBomb), it's no longer really a forum for discussion. It's just a place for whatever the people in charge like to be posted.
#33 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
Azteris said:
"GDog said:
"Lowtax from Something Awful said that his forums were a mess before they started charging a fee. That helps keep the assholes out. Tight policing of an open forum might be the only way you can keep control."
I feel like anytime you police a forum (any type of forum for discussion, not just GiantBomb), it's no longer really a forum for discussion. It's just a place for whatever the people in charge like to be posted."
You hit the nail on the head.
#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13132 posts) -

There have definitely been some unnecessary thread locking about the dumbest things, though.

#35 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

If you see the issues and points made in MB's topic as threatening then perhaps you need to think over the way you behave on the site and the way you conduct yourself here. We're a relaxed bunch of Mods who try our best to keep a balance between being involved with the community and taking part in activities with them, while also carrying out the job we were picked to do as best we can.

GiantBomb is a relaxed website with a slightly more mature tone to it compared to other similar websites. There isn't a profanity filter on the forums not because we want to be cool and be able to advertise we allow people to swear. But rather because we think that people can be mature enough to know when to swear and how to handle it when someone does. For the most part it seems a huge majority of the community has nothing to worry about, you're all fine upstanding members and we have no issue with you. But like all places on the internet there are those few people who want to ruin it for others, either on purpose or because they lack self restraint when posting.

To those people in the latter category we will conduct ourselves as professionally as possible, and as fair as possible when dealing with you. But rest assured if you act like a dick then you will be moderated accordingly. And if you continue to go against the ethos we have here then eventually you will just have your right to access the content and participate in the community removed from you.

Like MB said in his topic, we try our best to have a hands off approach around here. So when we do have to get involved and step in to deal with issues that means someone has crossed a line too far or too often that its becoming an issue for us all. And again most of you have little to worry about in this regard.

However what I would love to emphasise here is self restraint on everyone's behalf. If someone is clearly trolling you, clearly insulting you on a scale you feel requires our attention then please DO CONTACT A MOD! because resorting to trolling them back will likely bring you to our attention as well. And I think everyone can agree here that bitching over the internet is like pissing against the wind, seems cool at the time but it just sprays back in your face. So be cool to one another, use common sense and don't hesitate to contact a Forum Moderator in regards to your specific problems.

Obligatory "Don't feed the troll!"

#36 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

The only thing that really bothers me is when people don't respect other people.


For example, (can't remember the users involved, or the topic right now, but...) Dude 1 was stating his opinion and throwing in a couple nasty insults at Dude 2.  Dude 2 would respond civilly on the subject.  Dude 1 replies and throws in a couple nasty insults.  Dude 2: civil response.  Dude 1: response + insults.  Dude 2 finally asks what's up with the insulting.  Dude 1 says something about liking "a good back and forth" and guess Dude 2 can't handle that.

I'm all for mods knocking around people who can't respect others.  I say bash the subject/thread/topic as much as you please (and not stating your opinion in the form of a fact), but don't misdirect that at the users.
Say: "[Game Title] is stupid."
Don't Say: "You like [Game Title]?!? You're stupid!!!"
#37 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
Hamz said:
"If you see the issues and points made in MB's topic as threatening then perhaps you need to think over the way you behave on the site and the way you conduct yourself here. We're a relaxed bunch of Mods who try our best to keep a balance between being involved with the community and taking part in activities with them, while also carrying out the job we were picked to do as best we can. GiantBomb is a relaxed website with a slightly more mature tone to it compared to other similar websites. There isn't a profanity filter on the forums not because we want to be cool and be able to advertise we allow people to swear. But rather because we think that people can be mature enough to know when to swear and how to handle it when someone does. For the most part it seems a huge majority of the community has nothing to worry about, you're all fine upstanding members and we have no issue with you. But like all places on the internet there are those few people who want to ruin it for others, either on purpose or because they lack self restraint when posting. To those people in the latter category we will conduct ourselves as professionally as possible, and as fair as possible when dealing with you. But rest assured if you act like a dick then you will be moderated accordingly. And if you continue to go against the ethos we have here then eventually you will just have your right to access the content and participate in the community removed from you. Like MB said in his topic, we try our best to have a hands off approach around here. So when we do have to get involved and step in to deal with issues that means someone has crossed a line too far or too often that its becoming an issue for us all. And again most of you have little to worry about in this regard. However what I would love to emphasise here is self restraint on everyone's behalf. If someone is clearly trolling you, clearly insulting you on a scale you feel requires our attention then please DO CONTACT A MOD! because resorting to trolling them back will likely bring you to our attention as well. And I think everyone can agree here that bitching over the internet is like pissing against the wind, seems cool at the time but it just sprays back in your face. So be cool to one another, use common sense and don't hesitate to contact a Forum Moderator in regards to your specific problems. Obligatory "Don't feed the troll!""
I believe that comment was worthy enough to end this topic. Lock it please!
#38 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I don't have a problem with what MB did. I also liked SmugDarkLoser, and I would always give him a +1. I found him entertaining and some of his posts were pretty good. I always felt comfortable kidding with him and he didn't seem to care.

This post  http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/crazy-nightmares-and-unable-to-move-when-i-wake-up/116458/#27 was resurrected from the dead and the guy who did it seemed to have something to say... no problem, but it was an old Levio post and everyone jumped his case. I didn't say anything, but I thought everyone was being a dick to this guy. I don't mind old forum posts being brought back to life and if you don't search for one, someone will bring it to your attention. It usually comes down to common since while having fun.  

#39 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

As long as they don't wrongly ban anyone, I can't see anything wrong with it.

#40 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

Is it too harsh when it is true?

#41 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
Hamz said:
"If you see the issues and points made in MB's topic as threatening then perhaps you need to think over the way you behave on the site and the way you conduct yourself here.""
Hit nail on head.

auspiciousqueue said:
"Is it too harsh when it is true?"
Bingo.

As for my "sometimes you have to be a dick to keep the dicks from being dicks"...all I meant was that people are going to view whoever says something that brings up the issue and says "look, here's how shit's gonna work" as a dick.  We all saw our parents that way when they got the belt/switch/paddle/shoe/fists out.  Disciplinary action will always be perceived by someone as "being a dick".

There was no offense meant by it.  Strictly saying that sometimes, you gotta be that guy.  MB, lucky enough for us, is good at being the guy that says "straighten the fuck up".  = D

Besides, if we don't, he'll probably beat our fucking asses with Gouken.  That's more corporal punishment than I've felt in a LONG time.
#42 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
MB said:

I think everyone can agree that Giant Bomb has one of the most relaxed gaming forums on all of the internet.  We have really tried to maintain a hands-off approach to moderation here, and for the most part it's been a great success.  However, lately it seems like there has been a lot more people being real douchebags to their fellow users.  In short, this simply will not stand.

Most of the rules on Giant Bomb are pretty much common sense.  Don't post porn, don't give links to warez, stuff like that.  Unfortunately it seems like many of you have forgotten the golden rule of GB - don't be a dick to each other.  Argue all you want, have disagreements, but don't be a douchebag.  That means no namecalling, no flaming,
no posting in a thread with the intent to disrupt it or with malicious intent towards the creator, stuff like that.  

Let this serve as notice to all of the dicks and assholes of Giant Bomb - your behavior is not going to be tolerated any longer.  You will receive one warning and that is all.  The next step is going to be a week suspension, and then after that, it's a ban.  I don't want the vast majority of the Giant Bomb community to be worried about this at all - if you're like 99% of other users, you have nothing to worry about.  Things won't change for you, other than you will gradually see fewer dicks on the forums.


I would like to focus on the bold section.

This is where most of the problems tend to occur and if I were to strongly recommend anything to moderators, then this would be the one.  If you don't have any interest in the subject of the thread, why would you bother going in there?  No surprise that any thread about the Wii tends to be to place it is most likely to occur.  There can be no other reason than to stir up trouble.  I don't own a PS3, but you don't see me entering every topic to post crap that annoys others.

If moderators were to come down hard on members who clearly enter a thread with no other interest than to get a rise out of the other posters and obviously derail it, then it would be a much happier forum.  We all know who the usual suspects on this are, so naming them is not necessary.  Please police this in the strongest way possible.
#43 Posted by Dewmocracy (58 posts) -

Did you see the awesome thread that just got locked!? There was great discussion value there!! lol

#44 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
Dewmocracy said:
"Did you see the awesome thread that just got locked!? There was great discussion value there!! lol"
I just looked at that not 5 seconds ago.
#45 Posted by MB (11903 posts) -
oldschool said:
If moderators were to come down hard on members who clearly enter a thread with no other interest than to get a rise out of the other posters and obviously derail it, then it would be a much happier forum.  We all know who the usual suspects on this are, so naming them is not necessary.  Please police this in the strongest way possible."

You're right, and I will be the first to admit that we haven't been doing a good enough job in that department.  It's tricky to find the right balance.
Moderator
#46 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
MB said:
"oldschool said:
If moderators were to come down hard on members who clearly enter a thread with no other interest than to get a rise out of the other posters and obviously derail it, then it would be a much happier forum.  We all know who the usual suspects on this are, so naming them is not necessary.  Please police this in the strongest way possible."
You're right, and I will be the first to admit that we haven't been doing a good enough job in that department.  It's tricky to find the right balance."
.....and I'll be the first to admit that the line is a bit fuzzy as well.  It is very easy to over moderate, so I undertand why you don't want to end up with premature moderation :P
#47 Posted by Milkman (16486 posts) -

Rules aside here, I think we can all admit that some people on this forum really do deserve it. I'm not going to name any names*coughjaygecough*but I'm just saying. When people transfer such stupidity to my computer screen, I can't be held accountable for my actions. 

#48 Posted by MB (11903 posts) -
oldschool said:
...so I undertand why you don't want to end up with premature moderation :P"
Man that only happened one time and you always throw it in my face :(
Moderator
#49 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
Milkman said:
"Rules aside here, I think we can all admit that some people on this forum really do deserve it. I'm not going to name any names*coughjaygecough*but I'm just saying. When people transfer such stupidity to my computer screen, I can't be held accountable for my actions. "
What has jayge done? Only people I've seen that are idiots (or at least are acting like ones) are *coughcrunchcough* and *coughwaycough*
#50 Posted by Milkman (16486 posts) -
natetodamax said:
"Milkman said:
"Rules aside here, I think we can all admit that some people on this forum really do deserve it. I'm not going to name any names*coughjaygecough*but I'm just saying. When people transfer such stupidity to my computer screen, I can't be held accountable for my actions. "
What has jayge done? Only people I've seen that are idiots (or at least are acting like ones) are *coughcrunchcough* and *coughwaycough*"
Well, considering the new rules...I'll just leave it at me and Jayge don't exactly see eye to eye most of the time.