Are the mods being too harsh, or are they being awesome?

• 183 results
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By LiquidPrince

No man. The mods here are awesome. No one wants Giant Bombs friendly chilled atmosphere to be fucked up by douche bags who migrate here from other forums and don't know how we GB'ers hang.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By azteris
BoG said:
"Jacki makes some very valid points in both of her posts. Perhaps our language has been too harsh, and maybe it is a bit ironic that we've been name calling just after we ask you not to name call. You'll have to forgive the moderation team for being blunt. It would help to understand how we work as a team, and you would if you read the forum FAQ. We operate on a discretionary basis in many cases, simply because that's the only way we really can. We're volunteer moderators, and all of us have jobs, work, school, and life in general to deal with in addition to the forums. We can't all discuss every situation at length. That doesn't mean we don't, however. In Jayge's case, for example, we all talked as a team extensively. We all weighed our opinions, and the majority decided that a suspension was in order. All major decisions are discussed, and we get every mods opinion on most matters before taking action. We're all different, we all make mistakes, and we often disagree, but we try and trust and support each other on most decisions."
I don't understand. There are plenty of people that are just as bad as most people would call Jayge, that haven't been suspended (to my knowledge). If your going to suspend someone for actions like that, you have to do it to everyone. If you don't have time to be a mod, don't be. None of this halfsies bullshit.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By mike

So after careful consideration and due to the fact that some users were offended (gasp!) by the Douchebaggery post, I took it down.  We'll be writing a new, politically correct version to appear at the top of a forum near you soon.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#104  Edited By RedSox8933
LiquidPrince said:
"No man. The mods here are awesome. No one wants Giant Bombs friendly chilled atmosphere to be fucked up by douche bags who migrate here from other forums and don't know how we GB'ers hang."

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By cloneslayer
LiquidPrince said:
"No man. The mods here are awesome. No one wants Giant Bombs friendly chilled atmosphere to be fucked up by douche bags who migrate here from other forums and don't know how we GB'ers hang."
But they do, and hence the problem.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By suneku
Cloneslayer said:
"suneku said:
"JackiJinx said:
"suneku said:
"It was a group decision."
If that's true, then I'd like to know why a thread like this has remained open for the past three and a half hours. Looks like everyone took that announcement to heart."
Because I don't see people being dicks to each other in that thread."
Really, let me give you a quote from the first page"I agree 100% of republicans are mentally retarded. Especially ron paul."How is this not being a dick to a whole group of people. I'm not even republican and I'm offended (not really)!"
okay post is gone, problem solved.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By LiquidPrince
MB said:
"So after careful consideration and due to the fact that some users were offended (gasp!) by the Douchebaggery post, I took it down.  We'll be writing a new, politically correct version to appear at the top of a forum near you soon."
I don't think you should MB. Your post was showing how we GB'er hang. We are a chilled atmosphere, and that shows in the way you posted your non-nazi style post.

Cloneslayer
said:
" But they do, and hence the problem."
There is no problem... they will come here, and they will become acclimated to the way GB works. If not, they will get banned.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By cloneslayer
suneku said:
"Cloneslayer said:
"suneku said:
"JackiJinx said:
"suneku said:
"It was a group decision."
If that's true, then I'd like to know why a thread like this has remained open for the past three and a half hours. Looks like everyone took that announcement to heart."
Because I don't see people being dicks to each other in that thread."
Really, let me give you a quote from the first page"I agree 100% of republicans are mentally retarded. Especially ron paul."How is this not being a dick to a whole group of people. I'm not even republican and I'm offended (not really)!"
okay post is gone, problem solved."
OK, then let me give you a new problem. Another quote this time from the topic name...

"Dumb Republicans"

I will honestly say I am in no way offended by this topic except for the fact that you see nothing wrong with it. It is clearly a trolling topic just asking for something to go wrong. I don't get how the fuck this topic is allowed to stay.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#109  Edited By JackiJinx
MB said:
"So after careful consideration and due to the fact that some users were offended (gasp!) by the Douchebaggery post, I took it down.  We'll be writing a new, politically correct version to appear at the top of a forum near you soon."
Hey, like I said, not offended. Just concerned. A dick's a dick.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

natetodamax said:
"We do have our right to say what we want, but the First Amendment is a crappy arguement to make, so I won't go into that.

No you don't. This is not a public forum.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By BoG
Azteris said:
"BoG said:
"Jacki makes some very valid points in both of her posts. Perhaps our language has been too harsh, and maybe it is a bit ironic that we've been name calling just after we ask you not to name call. You'll have to forgive the moderation team for being blunt. It would help to understand how we work as a team, and you would if you read the forum FAQ. We operate on a discretionary basis in many cases, simply because that's the only way we really can. We're volunteer moderators, and all of us have jobs, work, school, and life in general to deal with in addition to the forums. We can't all discuss every situation at length. That doesn't mean we don't, however. In Jayge's case, for example, we all talked as a team extensively. We all weighed our opinions, and the majority decided that a suspension was in order. All major decisions are discussed, and we get every mods opinion on most matters before taking action. We're all different, we all make mistakes, and we often disagree, but we try and trust and support each other on most decisions."
I don't understand. There are plenty of people that are just as bad as most people would call Jayge, that haven't been suspended (to my knowledge). If your going to suspend someone for actions like that, you have to do it to everyone. If you don't have time to be a mod, don't be. None of this halfsies bullshit."
We warn a whole lot of people. If someone hasn't been banned, it's actually my fault in particular for trying to be overly nice, ha ha. We don't actually disclose everyone we warn or ban, nor should we have to. Also, it's not that we don't have time to be mods. We've discussed the time issue, and if one of us didn't have time we'd resign. It's just that we can't be on the site 24/7.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

The mods on these forums fucking suck, big bunch of douchbags.
They wouldn't even ban be until june when I asked, what the hell.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By LiquidPrince
SmugDarkLoser said:
"The mods on these forums fucking suck, big bunch of douchbags. They wouldn't even ban be until june when I asked, what the hell."
Why would you need to be banned? Just get off your damn computer and stay away until June...
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RedSox8933
SmugDarkLoser said:
"The mods on these forums fucking suck, big bunch of douchbags. They wouldn't even ban be until june when I asked, what the hell."
Why did you ask to be banned in the first place? And did you seriously call them douchebags for not banning you?
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By cloneslayer
SmugDarkLoser said:
And whats the point of this post?

HEY MODS!!!! I think he wants to be banned so do us all a favor and just do it.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By RedSox8933
RedSox8933 said:
"Can't we just put all of this controversy behind us like adults? This continuous arguing is just becoming childish."
!!!!!
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#117  Edited By Claude

God I love this stuff. It feels real.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By cloneslayer
Claude said:
"God I love this stuff. It feels real."
It does and I say that assuming reality just boils down to stupid scwabbling. 
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By atejas
jakob187 said:

For instance, SmugDarkLoser - the minute he posts a thread, it's neg-bombed.  Why?  Because it's him.  Granted, he writes a FUCKTON of "Halo 3 is teh greatest evar" threads...but even when he said in a blog "hey, I'ma be out for a while, got priorities to take care of"...everyone STILL treated him like an ass...and that was uncalled for.

So are the mods out of line?  Nope.  They are simply trying to keep Giant Bomb's forums from becoming a pure hellhole.

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
"
That post had something approximating a +27 last time I checked.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Rowr

Do all posts have to fill a quota for relevancy and seriousness?

Is humour dead on GB?

Where's my watermelon?

Are we slowly edging closer and closer to becoming Gamespot?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By RedSox8933

Seriously, this is getting out of control. You mods need to lay down the fucking hammer. MB, who cares if people are offended by that post? It needed to be said, and the way you said it was just fine.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By cloneslayer
Rowr said:
"Do all posts have to fill a quota for relevancy and seriousness?Is humour dead on GB?Where's my watermelon?Are we slowly edging closer and closer to becoming Gamespot?"
I think in a serious topic like this, in which views on moderation may be shaped, I don't think randomness it fitting. I don't want to see this become a Gamefaqs but everything has its place, I dont want this to be /b/ either.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By LiquidPrince
Rowr said:
"Do all posts have to fill a quota for relevancy and seriousness?Is humour dead on GB?Where's my watermelon?Are we slowly edging closer and closer to becoming Gamespot?"
That's the whole point. Humor is good, but it has to be in good taste. You can't post something to be a dick.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Rowr

Yeh so wheres the line between humour and being a dick.

I mean obviously common sense applies, but in this case, its all down to as little as one person's opinion.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By RedSox8933
Rowr said:
"Yeh so wheres the line between humour and being a dick.I mean obviously common sense applies, but in this case, its all down to as little as one person's opinion."
I think that it depends on the topic.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
BoG said:
"Jolly_Lolly said:
"I actually haven't seen any real outbreaks since the day BS was closed down (seems like decades ago). I am pretty content with the mod's (or whoever's) mod picking decisions so far. Only saw a real sign of abused power once, which is excellent considering how long Giant Bomb has been running now. "
Ha ha, then you haven't been paying attention tonight
"
Well, I was actually talking about how it has been pretty tolerable since BS before this day, but I must have forgotten to mention that part in my post. Ma' bad.

And I honestly hope you are punishing in some way or form the one's who are creating all of these "GB needs to change-ah" threads like there is no f*cking tomorrow.

I mean, usually trolls at least have some sort of argument, although 90% pure ignorance, but lately it's been mostly "make GB this not that" and "mod's are teh terrorists" which just leaves me speechless (well, not really I usually rape them with text like no tomorrow) because of the sheer idiocy and unnecessariancy (yes I just made that up) I could not yet comprehend.

I say it's time to call in the cavalry.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#127  Edited By Black_Rose
RedSox8933 said:
"Rowr said:
"Yeh so wheres the line between humour and being a dick.I mean obviously common sense applies, but in this case, its all down to as little as one person's opinion."
I think that it depends on the topic."
Exactly, usually the line between sheer stupidity and trolling is pretty thin but there are obvious cases (say, Dr_Cash) were we should be allowed to respond in not-so-nice ways or just make fun of that person, as RedSox said, if it needs to be said then we should be allowed to say it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Milkman

It's seriously ridiculous that that post had be taken down. Seriously people, you're analyzing this way too much. MB was just saying "Don't be dicks" and everyone has a fucking fit. 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Rowr
Milkman said:
"It's seriously ridiculous that that post had be taken down. Seriously people, you're analyzing this way too much. MB was just saying "Don't be dicks" and everyone has a fucking fit. "
Dont be dick.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By JackiJinx
Milkman said:
"It's seriously ridiculous that that post had be taken down. Seriously people, you're analyzing this way too much. MB was just saying "Don't be dicks" and everyone has a fucking fit. "
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person who had a "fit," and I didn't ask for it to be taken down. Not to say that I'm not happy that it was, I am. And it's not like they're not going to replace the thread, they are. They are to replace it with a more thought out one.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By azteris
JackiJinx said:
"Milkman said:
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person who had a "fit," and I didn't ask for it to be taken down. Not to say that I'm not happy that it was, I am. And it's not like they're not going to replace the thread, they are. They are to replace it with a more thought out one."
I raised issue with it also.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By JackiJinx
Azteris said:
"JackiJinx said:
"Milkman said:
As far as I'm aware, I'm the only person who had a "fit," and I didn't ask for it to be taken down. Not to say that I'm not happy that it was, I am. And it's not like they're not going to replace the thread, they are. They are to replace it with a more thought out one."
I raised issue with it also."
Valid and fair point, you did. My apologies.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Rowr
Cloneslayer said:
"Rowr said:
I think in a serious topic like this, in which views on moderation may be shaped, I don't think randomness it fitting. I don't want to see this become a Gamefaqs but everything has its place, I dont want this to be /b/ either."
I think if theres one thing on GB thats always fitting its randomness. I dont know maybe this place has changed.

Once upon a time the staff had a hamburger forum that was ranked highest above all in popularity.

I figure this forum should be an extension of the staffs efforts as far as NOT TAKING SHIT SERIOUSLY ALL THE TIME. It's an internet forum after all, this place of all places should be taken least serious.

Everyone needs to sit back, put aside their personal bitching, stop bitching like we are in a soap opera.

I understand fair enough. We dont want people who are openly douchebags here, but at the same time, lets not turn this into fucking gamespot srsly.

How about we all harden the fuck up.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Haven't had any problems with them so no...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think we, as users, have the responsibility to treat other users as we would like to be treated.  It sounds preachy and, I'll say it, "golden-rule"-esque, but it is a pretty fucking good code of behavior. 

Obviously, this website, like any, is a conglomeration of different people from all over the world.  Therefore, differences in taste and philosophies and intelligence are bound to crash together like plate tectonics, but that doesn't mean we can't be respectful to one another.  Obviously, there are going to be personalities that are stronger, more assertive, and others that are more passive and playful.  The mods shouldn't be counted on to be everywhere and to arbitrate everything.  To me, it seems the moderator's paramount duty is to ensure the "respectful interactions between users" are encouraged and to intercede in the event the glass floor of respectability shatters under the weight of two conflicting fanboys.

Just, be cool, guys.  I understand this is the internet and everyone, subconscious or greater than, has some desire to stake a claim of virtual turf and gain some notoriety in doing so, and that our relative anonymity fuels this desire to varying degrees.  But it doesn't amount to anything when a flame-war breaks loose.  

I think the relationship I have to Jakob is an applicable one.  He and I don't necessarily agree on matters of taste, matters of opinion, so I've taken the stance of, in disagreement, explaining my peace, and then letting it stand.  If it gets out-argued, then fine.  There's no need for me to retort with, "you queer", because it's fruitless.  Ultimately, we're all here because we have a taste, refined or broad, for video games, and we come to the forums to associate with like-minded people.  Don't agree with someone?  Whatever.  It won't kill you to let it slide. 

----------------------

I understand that the above comment approaches Nate's original question not even in the slightest, but I feel (and I may be alone on this) that if we, as users, can adopt some philosophy similar to this "you say your peace, I'll say mine, we're still friends" doctrine, then we can alleviate the stress on the moderators' shoulders.  

Of course, I could be a fucking titanic optimist, and you may all hate this idea.  Or, you'll just write "tl;dr -- Ragnarok, you're gay."  

Just my two cents.   

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#136  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The mods are definitely awesome. I haven't seen any cases of them being too harsh.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#137  Edited By oldschool

Where do you draw the line on what some people find offensive?  It is an ever moving target.

If I want to start a thread that says all religion is stupid, is that a problem?  Some people would be offended, some wouldn't, but more importantly, it is just an opinion.  The same applies to Dumb Republicans.

Surely the issue is only when the insult is directed at a member specifically.  Otherwise, as has been put, harden up man.  If you give in to every little complaint of being offended, we would be left with one member who would eventually complain about what he said and have to ban himself, leaving nothing :P
deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By deadmonkeys
Rowr said:
Dont be dick."
Rowr said:
"How about we all harden the fuck up."
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#139  Edited By Karmum
ParrapatehRappa said:
"It's stupid.I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards."
Two people being asses to each other in a topic can spark more people to join in the argument, making an unnecessary argument/topic augmenting and all of the users involved spiraling downward. If you honestly came here in hopes of being a total dick to anybody you want, then you must be a fool. Ask some of the notable users who were banned for just doing that.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#140  Edited By natetodamax

What da hell...

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Kohe321

It's awesome in every possible way...

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#142  Edited By strangeling

Also, it seems to me that, like Blogs, Off-Topic could benefit from being a separate forum.  That way, it could have the fun / irrelevant stuff without disrupting the more serious General Discussion.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#143  Edited By super_machine

What ever they are doing I think they are doing it well. People on this site have the ability to express themselves freely, but the mods still use discretion to filter out the riffraff.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By natetodamax
strangeling said:
"Also, it seems to me that, like Blogs, Off-Topic could benefit from being a separate forum.  That way, it could have the fun / irrelevant stuff without disrupting the more serious General Discussion."
Blogs wouldn't get noticed as well if that were the case.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By HandsomeDead
strangeling said:
"Also, it seems to me that, like Blogs, Off-Topic could benefit from being a separate forum.  That way, it could have the fun / irrelevant stuff without disrupting the more serious General Discussion."
Thing is, if you look at off topic, a lot of times it's either a religious thread with atheists trying to convince theists that they're wrong, vice versa or some ham fisted attempt at politics. The blogs help keep it interesting.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By natetodamax
HandsomeDead said:
"strangeling said:
Thing is, if you look at off topic, a lot of times it's either a religious thread with atheists trying to convince theists that they're wrong, vice versa or some ham fisted attempt at politics. The blogs help keep it interesting."
The thing about atheists seems more like Gamespot to me. Their Off-Topic thread is usually nothing but religious junk being thrown around.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By RedSox8933
natetodamax said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"strangeling said:
Thing is, if you look at off topic, a lot of times it's either a religious thread with atheists trying to convince theists that they're wrong, vice versa or some ham fisted attempt at politics. The blogs help keep it interesting."
The thing about atheists seems more like Gamespot to me. Their Off-Topic thread is usually nothing but religious junk being thrown around."
There was a crazy religious argument thread going on a couple of days ago here.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By natetodamax
RedSox8933 said:
"natetodamax said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"strangeling said:
The thing about atheists seems more like Gamespot to me. Their Off-Topic thread is usually nothing but religious junk being thrown around."
There was a crazy religious argument thread going on a couple of days ago here."
But on Gamespot they have a couple nearly every day.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By RedSox8933

Yeah, Gamespot was fucking terrible.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#150  Edited By EpicSteve

Mods are typically dicks who are 15 and think they'e cool becaue they get to sit on forums all day and run the banwagon.