Are there any other gaming podcasts that aren't dying?

• 93 results
Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Irishranger

Weird topic starter, I know, but let me explain why I'm asking such a question.

Whereas it seems most people sit in front of their computers and listen to podcasts these days (yes, yes, I know some of you listen while jogging or travelling), I personally have around forty to fifty hours per week at my factory job to listen to various things on my MP3 player.

I didn't get into the gaming podcast scene until early in 2010, much to my regret, but it seems that I found my way onto the proverbial jet just as it was beginning to nose dive.

Don't get me wrong, the Bombcast still seems to be going strong, although nowadays, as I listen each week, I half expect an announcement of someone leaving. Now, don't flip out. I only feel that way mainly because that is what is happening on every other podcast I listen to.

Talkradar is slowly losing all of it's cast members and will probably soon be ending it's run. Joystiq just recently changed it's format into a more "60 minutes" style that seems to have only served to kill it's personality. Talkradar UK is also taking a break so they can ostensibly change their format. Rebel FM is having trouble putting up a weekly podcast and it's members are seemingly losing interest. Although I don't listen to Gamespy, they evidently just recently either quit doing their podcast or made serious changes. 1-UP always seems to be imploding, so we don't need to discuss that.

The Whiskey Media podcasts are seemingly the only ones that still show a vested interest in their subjects and still have the backing of their bosses.

So I guess my question is: Do you all think the gaming podcast scene is coming to an end? Do you think it has something to do with the tough economy these days? And if it's okay with the mods that I've listed all those other podcasts, I'd like to hear some suggestions from the community of other podcasts that are going strong and don't seem to be dying a slow death.

Any intelligent comments would be welcome!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Since 1up died I only listen to the Bombcast now myself. My guess would be that it's just not worth it for the people that do it. My understanding is that most of them just did it as a hobby, but it takes so much time to do them weekly that they are getting tired of doing it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By project343

I still enjoy most of IGN's podcasts, My Brother My Brother and Me, and Weekend Confirmed.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Insectecutor

Idle Thumbs died a year ago but if you haven't listened to it it's worth going through their back catalogue. Possibly one of the only video game podcasts where that's true. Edit: I lied, listen to A Life Well Wasted if you haven't already, it's a series of 8 interesting stories about gaming in an NPR style similar to This American Life, done by former 1up freelancer Robert Ashley.

On the modern front I listen to Weekend confirmed which is of extremely variable quality and intelligence but if you want to fill time it will certainly suffice, Eurogamer's hour-long show has been fucking nailing it the last few weeks by going deep on a single topic, 1up seem to have brought Retronauts back from the grave and new host Bob Mackey is turning that ship around like a pro. So it's not all bad.

If you're into game design stuff the recent series of GAMBIT Looking Glass Studios interview podcasts is still going and they're doing a good job there although the audio quality is always pretty poor.

Edit: I also gave Rebel FM a go when it started out, but it just seemed to be a bunch of children talking about their dicks and farts so I stopped listening.

Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Irishranger

@Insectecutor: @project343: Thanks guys. Good suggestions. Yeah, Rebel FM just got to be too ego-centric for me.

And I'm absolutely interested in game design stuff. I wish more development studios would put out their own audio shows, but I'm sure that's a nightmare to fit into their schedules and even harder to get around PR.

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By grayfox1210

Talk Radar and The Bombcast are plenty for me. Especially with Talk Radar releasing two podcasts a week. I think these are the only two podcasts worth listening to that have to do with games.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TyrellOCP

I think that listeners have come to expect a certain level of quality from their podcasts that isn't totally necessary. 
I've always listened to podcasts for the chat and that particular team's unique take on topics rather than huge production values.  
All the Whiskey Media podcasts seem to have a strong structure that manages topics to compliment their site content, compared to The Drunk Tank that seems to be a round table chat about anything with some light self promotion.
One problem is that there isn't room for a revenue stream and if you put ads in a podcast people would stop listening.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

@Irishranger said:

The Whiskey Media podcasts are seemingly the only ones that still show a vested interest in their subjects and still have the backing of their bosses.

The reason why I don't think you'll see Whiskey Media podcasts reformatting and downscaling dramatically is that the editors seem to make the call as to what content appears on their appropriate sites. Plus they already spent money on podcasting equipment and it's a no-brainer as to how much they promote the sites themselves. There'd be no reason to cut them back.

Jokers_Wild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jokers_Wild

Weekend Confirmed is still going strong.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Insectecutor

The Pixeljunk guys also do Pixeljunk Radio quite regularly, I haven't listened to enough of that to figure out if it's good or not, but since they're a bunch of Westerners (Brits and Americans) in Japan it has an interesting flavour.

I think Skype kills podcasts way harder than Fact Checking ever could. Don't listen to any podcast where the participants chat over Skype. They're always fucking dire.

Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Irishranger

@mijetman said:

One problem is that there isn't room for a revenue stream and if you put ads in a podcast people would stop listening.

Sad but true. I for one, would still listen even with ads, but I guess I'm a lot more tolerant than your average internet user. ;)

Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Irishranger

@Insectecutor said:

I think Skype kills podcasts way harder than Fact Checking ever could. Don't listen to any podcast where the participants chat over Skype. They're always fucking dire.

Careful, don't let the Screened guys hear you say that. :D

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#14  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm partial to the CAGcast as well as the Game Informer podcast, although the Bombcast is still my go to podcast.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Taklulas
@Insectecutor said:

The Pixeljunk guys also do Pixeljunk Radio quite regularly, I haven't listened to enough of that to figure out if it's good or not, but since they're a bunch of Westerners (Brits and Americans) in Japan it has an interesting flavour.

are you saying the Screened.com podcast is bad? 
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowshi

Noobtoob died like a bitch.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Sitoxity

Rooster Teeth's Drunk Tank is always a great podcast to listen to, usually it has something gaming related left in it, but the hilarity that goes on makes up for it if you're just going in for that.

I generally listen to Bombcast, This is only a Test and Behind the Screened Door other than that.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wadtomaton

Pixeljunk Radio is amazing. I also enjoy the CAGcast and CallofPodcast. The Mobcast seems to be better since going to a monthly format. 8-4 Play is super great as well.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Insectecutor

@Taklulas said:

@Insectecutor said:

I've never listened to it so I assume you mean Alex now calls in on Skype. I imagine it was better when they were in the same room, just as the tested podcasts are better when they don't have some guy call in on Skype who can never get a word in and always feels like a third wheel.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sitoxity

@Insectecutor: With it being just Alex and Rorie, it's a lot more manageable than what can happen on Tested, since it's only the two of them talking. Alex also has a good mic, so it's easy enough to listen to, especially with it being shorter than an average Bombcast or Tested Podcast.

Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Irishranger

Holy crap, that's a lot of stuff I hadn't heard of, thanks everyone. I'll have to get busy looking into some of those. Hopefully they don't die as soon as I do, which has been the case as of late.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ramone

@Insectecutor said:

@Taklulas said:

@Insectecutor said:

I've never listened to it so I assume you mean Alex now calls in on Skype. I imagine it was better when they were in the same room, just as the tested podcasts are better when they don't have some guy call in on Skype who can never get a word in and always feels like a third wheel.

Isn't My Brother My Brother and Me done over Skype? That's one of the funniest podcasts out there. Also this podcast is awesome: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/the-mighty-electronic-box-uk-podcast/509246/

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Insectecutor

@Sitoxity: OK, maybe it'd work when it's only two people but still you must lose some of the dynamics of having them in the same room, reading body language etc. I was really talking about the Skype conference casts where there's three or four people all chatting over Skype, some have bad mics, some have connection problems, some babble on for ages not being able to see that the others are bored, and all that.

@Jonny7892: Will check both those out. Always eager to be proved wrong. Wait a minute, that Mighty Electronic Box is your podcast! Full disclosure damnit :)

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By swoxx

The only gaming podcast I listen to besides the bombcast is the CAGcast.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sitoxity

@Insectecutor: Oh yeah, those type of podcasts can end up being pretty terrible, but I still enjoy Screened. The banter and chemistry between the two is still there, the most that you have to deal with is the maybe 1 second delay on some of Alex's responses. It'll never be as good as having them both there, but that doesn't mean it's much worse.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rentfn

I really like the Geekbox...but there hasn't been much gaming talk on it lately. You should check out NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me...it's more of a game show about events in the news but it is really funny.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By EuanDewar
TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TyrellOCP
@Irishranger said:

@mijetman said:

Sad but true. I for one, would still listen even with ads, but I guess I'm a lot more tolerant than your average internet user. ;)

I don't mind adverts but they shouldn't get in the way of content. The pre-role ads on YouTube and The Escapist are getting on my nerves because of just that.
I wouldn't mind if ads were an announcement during the music at the beginning and end or a humorous little chat mid way through, but if there ware 30 second breaks every 15-20 minutes I'd be put off. 
TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TyrellOCP
@Jokers_Wild: Skype casts can be alright if whoever is on Skype is recording their audio, rather than getting the compressed audio from the Skypre call. 
You're not going to get amazing studio quality sound, but dammit I want some Alex Navaro in my Behind the Screened Door.
marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By marlow83

I enjoy listening to the new Podtoid (Destructoid's main podcast) with Jim Sterling, Max Scoville, Tara Long, and Johnathan Holmes. They only talk about videogames about half the time, they're not always super current, but they're often fucking hilarious

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Three0neFive
@Irishranger said:
Although I don't listen to Gamespy, they evidently just recently either quit doing their podcast or made serious changes.
The Gamespy Debriefings, in it's most recent incarnation, is no more. One of the hosts was laid off, and due to other complications they decided it wasn't worth keeping it alive if they were only going to be able to do a half-assed show every month or so.

HOWEVER, fans of The Debriefings recently raised over $20,000 for their new podcast, The Comedy Button.

BRAAP BRAAP BRAAP
Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Taklulas
@Insectecutor said:

@Taklulas said:

@Insectecutor said:

Eh, I suppose that much is true. works fine since it's only two of them on screened. Not so much on Tested.
Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Witzig

PC Gamer is pretty good. They usaully keep it to an hour and they are generally funny most of the time. 
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akrid

3 whiskey podcasts and MBMBAM is all I'll ever need. I mean, I often run out when I'm working hard during a week, but by that point I really don't want to listen to more podcasts...

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By Jackhole
@Akrid said:
3 whiskey podcasts and MBMBAM is all I'll ever need. I mean, I often run out when I'm working hard during a week, but by that point I really don't want to listen to more podcasts...
I listen to those, plus the CAGcast. They all seem to be going strong. I don't expect any of them quitting or making radical changes in the near future. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Do DnD podcasts count, if so check out Critical Hit

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mnzy

The Mobcast changed its format from weekly to monthly and it helped the quality, I think.
Also, the Irrational podcasts (especially the interviews) are still good and will probably stay that way, since they only do them if there is something or somebody that makes for good podcasting.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Skytylz

Yeah I'll recommend Weekend Confirmed too, but it's definitely hit or miss.  They need to get a crew and grow some chemistry instead of their fairly random cast.  So far it's good though and it's only disappointing in comparison to the work Garnet did back at 1up.  

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DeeGee

@Insectecutor said:

My Brother, My Brother and Me would like a word with you about that.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Electric hydra, Podtoid, At the controls, and Mega64 podcast are all great and going strong. 

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@marlow83 said:
I enjoy listening to the new Podtoid (Destructoid's main podcast) with Jim Sterling, Max Scoville, Tara Long, and Johnathan Holmes. They only talk about videogames about half the time, they're not always super current, but they're often fucking hilarious
I recommended that as well, people don't know what they're missing. 
ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ItBeStefYo
@Irishranger:  A good podcast is "That Video Game Podcast" they are cool guys and are not at all douchebaggy, which alot of podcasters seem to be, which I hate
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The new Podtoid's quite good, and when they're not talking about games Jim Sterling and Max Scoville talk about Willem Dafoe being a serial rapist or somesuch.

I love it.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By saethir

Along with what everyone else has been saying, stand-up comedian Kumail Nanjiani Just started a gaming podcast called The Indoor Kids over at Nerdist.com. I haven't listened to all of them, but so far they are quite entertaining.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By WickedCobra03

@project343 said:

I still enjoy most of IGN's podcasts, My Brother My Brother and Me, and Weekend Confirmed.

I love MyBrotherMyBrotherAndMe.

Most of IGN's podcasts seem like they are a little on the simple side for the crowd at Giantbomb. Three Red Lights was good back in the day, but thats for totally non gaming reasons... it was more or less just bashing the 360 in its hayday for the RRoD plague (i am a 360 owner myself...so it was kind of like therapy every week hearing other people were going to beat the crap out of their 360's as well).

I used to love all of 1Up's podcasts (Retronauts, CGW/GFW, 1upFM and even the 1UPshow), but Weekend Confirmed is not my cup of tea at all.

Shows I still do like though... PlayerOnePodcast, GamersWithJobs, The Geekbox, RebelFM, HeyAsh Whatcha Playin, 8-4 Play, and I guess I still like Retronauts but that is because Ray Barnholdt and Jeremy Perish are still on there. And ofcourse, This is only a test and Behind the Screened Door.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vonFlampanker

I give Weekend Confirmed a chance every now and then, but Garnet Lee inevitably drives me away after a week or two. That guy rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

The Game Informer Show is tolerable-to-good.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@vonFlampanker said:

I give Weekend Confirmed a chance every now and then, but Garnet Lee inevitably drives me away after a week or two. That guy rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Same here. I tend to unsubscribe and re-subscribe to that podcast frequently. Was going to unsubscribe again before the latest podcast with Shane. I just don't think that podcast's funny at all, as much as they might think it is.
Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Irishranger

@WickedCobra03 said:

@project343 said:

I love MyBrotherMyBrotherAndMe.

Most of IGN's podcasts seem like they are a little on the simple side for the crowd at Giantbomb. Three Red Lights was good back in the day, but thats for totally non gaming reasons... it was more or less just bashing the 360 in its hayday for the RRoD plague (i am a 360 owner myself...so it was kind of like therapy every week hearing other people were going to beat the crap out of their 360's as well).

I used to love all of 1Up's podcasts (Retronauts, CGW/GFW, 1upFM and even the 1UPshow), but Weekend Confirmed is not my cup of tea at all.

Shows I still do like though... PlayerOnePodcast, GamersWithJobs, The Geekbox, RebelFM, HeyAsh Whatcha Playin, 8-4 Play, and I guess I still like Retronauts but that is because Ray Barnholdt and Jeremy Perish are still on there. And ofcourse, This is only a test and Behind the Screened Door.

Player One Podcast is the one that made me start this thread. I was going to go over there and start listening and download their back catalog as I do with most podcasts, only to find that they are ending with #250. Just hit me the wrong way.

Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pandasaurus

DRUNK TANK DRUNK TANK DRUNK TANK

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points