Are there any other gaming podcasts that aren't dying?

• 93 results
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By raviolisumo

@Three0neFive said:

@Irishranger said:
Although I don't listen to Gamespy, they evidently just recently either quit doing their podcast or made serious changes.
The Gamespy Debriefings, in it's most recent incarnation, is no more. One of the hosts was laid off, and due to other complications they decided it wasn't worth keeping it alive if they were only going to be able to do a half-assed show every month or so.

HOWEVER, fans of The Debriefings recently raised over $20,000 for their new podcast, The Comedy Button. BRAAP BRAAP BRAAP

BRAAP BRAAP

GET ON THAT 8-4 PLAY SON!

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By guerrilla_mason

Strictly gaming, I listen to ManaTank, Creature Talk, Is It the Future Yet?, the Videogamer.com Podcast, and Podtoid.

Just about random crap, I go with MBMBaM, Uhh Yeah Dude, and Sklarbro Country.

I listen to way too many podcasts.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Meowshi said:
Noobtoob died like a bitch.
LOL I probably wouldn't have worded it that way, but it's kinda true... 

Only other really good gaming podcast I can think of is Rebel FM. Except for the occasional relationship advice letter at the end, it's a solid podcast. Say what you will about Arthur howeveryouspellhislastname, but whether you disagree with his opinions or not, he makes excellent arguments 99% of the time and he knows his stuff.
Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Irishranger

@Guerrilla_Mason said:

I listen to way too many podcasts.

Same here. I don't have many intelligent people to converse with, so I enjoy listening to intriguing conversation. Some would call it overload, I call it a support group.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By HydraHam

Try

Nerdist

Tell em Steve Dave

Hollywood Babbleon

they aren't gaming but nerdist is all things nerd, babbleon touches nerd topics and tell em steve dave is just fucking hilarious, gaming podcast to me died along time ago, i only fine 2 that really entertain me (weekend and giantbomb) there are a few other decent ones but for the most part they are all the same, no real character and they try to hard, i mostly listen to comedic podcast like hollwyood/tell em and nerdist and doug loves movies, maybe i am just burnt out on gaming podcast because all you really need is 1-2, most tend to focus on just news stories and what they have been playing, it gets old.. however i did come across a podcast awhile back called All Gen Gamers which is a really cool podcast.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Marz

I usually listen to the PC gamer, Weekend Confirmed, and Painkiller Already ( which was a CoD podcast but they don't really talk about it that much anymore, pretty funny sometimes)

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Sarcastic Gamer and the Drunk Tank are two that come to mind.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Three0neFive
@PrimeSynergy said:
Say what you will about Arthur howeveryouspellhislastname, but whether you disagree with his opinions or not, he makes excellent arguments 99% of the time and he knows his stuff.
I don't understand the hate for Arthur. It's refreshing to see a journalist who actually knows what the fuck he's talking about, especially when it comes to the more technical side of things. Shit, most reporters couldn't even tell you what anti-aliasing is, let alone how it works.
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By shotaro

I find myself watching videos now a days things like Extra Credits (which was on the escapist until this week) and not bothering with podcasts much at all. They seem to have had their time now and only the truly great ones have survived - The Hotspot is still worth the occasional listen but now Mechberg has gone even that has gone downhill. The Bombcast is really the only gaming podcast I bother with and I rarely have time to keep up with them it really puts me off when I listen to people taking while I'm playing games and if I'm not working I'm probably gaming

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By alternate

What, no love for 84play yet?  That show is killing it, from all the industry insider stuff to Japanese news from ppl who actually live and work there.  I even listened to the 2+ hour monster hunter podcast they did - and I can't stand MH.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Three0neFive said:
@PrimeSynergy said:
Say what you will about Arthur howeveryouspellhislastname, but whether you disagree with his opinions or not, he makes excellent arguments 99% of the time and he knows his stuff.
I don't understand the hate for Arthur. It's refreshing to see a journalist who actually knows what the fuck he's talking about, especially when it comes to the more technical side of things. Shit, most reporters couldn't even tell you what anti-aliasing is, let alone how it works.
I don't really get it either, but if I had to guess, I say it's the way he just tells it like it is. When he doesn't like something, he doesn't sugarcoat it and gives you all the details. I think most of the hate towards Arthur comes from the people who can't accept that someone else doesn't like a game that they enjoy. You know...the people who will write essays just as long as reviews explaining why the reviewer in question is wrong.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By captain_clayman
@Meowshi said:
Noobtoob died like a bitch.
True that.  I was so sad, they were actually really cool.  One of the more lively and entertaining 2 person podcasts.  Usually podcasts with less than 3 people are super boring (like CAGcast before shipwreck joined, it was boring as hell).  But Weekend Confirmed and Rebel FM are still really great. 4 player podcast is fun, although they often turn heated debates into full-on nerdy arguements which gets annoying at times.  I wish joystiq would go back to their old format, or at least alternate every week between new show and old show.  I miss Chris, Justin and Ludwig all together.  Now it's just a bunch of one sided, extremely boring non-conversational interviews and it's just not that fun.
DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#64  Edited By DonutFever

"Although I don't listen to Gamespy, they evidently just recently either quit doing their podcast or made serious changes." 
One of their writers, Scott Bromley, who was sort of the star of the show was laid off, so they've decided to go indie and less game related.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jewunit
@alternate said:
What, no love for 84play yet?  That show is killing it, from all the industry insider stuff to Japanese news from ppl who actually live and work there.  I even listened to the 2+ hour monster hunter podcast they did - and I can't stand MH.
Yeah, 8-4 Play is a great podcast.  They aren't the only podcast on Japanese gaming though.  Warning! A Huge Podcast covers an amazing amount of content.  In addition to discussions about games and news, the crew translate twitter messages from Japanese game developers and present a main topic that can range from Japanese Xbox 360 shooters to the best ways to import games.  They also had a podcast where they had an e-mail interview with SWERY and got the voice of Francis York-Morgan to read the responses.  The content is great, but be aware that the name is not a joke.  The podcasts range from two to four hours in length.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ryanwho

How many times can I hear about the 4 games that came out this week, know what I mean. 1 time is how many times. Same with movies, really. I have one "newest movies" podcast and one "themed movie" podcast that just goes with a theme and covers movies of all ages. With games, I don't have a latter podcast covering that stuff. The closest thing was Retronauts.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#67  Edited By bobafettjm

Weekend Confirmed is my favorite podcast of choice.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By shadows_kill

My brother, my brother, and me, and the bombcast is all I need. I got super tired of the IGN PSBeyond is just..... its to fanboy for me even and when I stopped listening is when they started yelling at their fans...

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Mega64?

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By WickedCobra03

@Irishranger said:

@WickedCobra03 said:

@project343 said:

I still enjoy most of IGN's podcasts, My Brother My Brother and Me, and Weekend Confirmed.

I love MyBrotherMyBrotherAndMe.

Most of IGN's podcasts seem like they are a little on the simple side for the crowd at Giantbomb. Three Red Lights was good back in the day, but thats for totally non gaming reasons... it was more or less just bashing the 360 in its hayday for the RRoD plague (i am a 360 owner myself...so it was kind of like therapy every week hearing other people were going to beat the crap out of their 360's as well).

I used to love all of 1Up's podcasts (Retronauts, CGW/GFW, 1upFM and even the 1UPshow), but Weekend Confirmed is not my cup of tea at all.

Shows I still do like though... PlayerOnePodcast, GamersWithJobs, The Geekbox, RebelFM, HeyAsh Whatcha Playin, 8-4 Play, and I guess I still like Retronauts but that is because Ray Barnholdt and Jeremy Perish are still on there. And ofcourse, This is only a test and Behind the Screened Door.

Player One Podcast is the one that made me start this thread. I was going to go over there and start listening and download their back catalog as I do with most podcasts, only to find that they are ending with #250. Just hit me the wrong way.

No, they are not ending... it has been a long running joke for the past 15 or so episodes. They were joking if you stayed to listen after the outro. THey were playing it up, the fact that they were going to end the show for the past 10 or so episodes pretty seriously, so I was not exactly sure... and none of the guys would let it slip that they were not actually ending the show. They couldn't end the show without Ford making an appearance. And btw, their past shows have been great. Listen to the gameclubs that they have had for older titles as well... all good stuff.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#72  Edited By WickedCobra03

@alternate said:

What, no love for 84play yet? That show is killing it, from all the industry insider stuff to Japanese news from ppl who actually live and work there. I even listened to the 2+ hour monster hunter podcast they did - and I can't stand MH.

haha. Yeah, I mentioned 8-4 play in my initial post. Love those guys from their EGM days and such, and now love to hear the Japanese side of things. Their SNES/Super Famicom episode was great! I have a feeling that I like it so much because of the fact that they are a little older and I feel like they come from the same background as I do as far as gaming experience over the years... not just a new kid whose first system was the N64...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By napalm
@Jokers_Wild said:
Weekend Confirmed is still going strong.
I couldn't agree with this anymore than I already do. 

Giant Bomb is good for mindless fun, and Weekend Confirmed is better some meaningful discussion and a deeper look at our medium.
GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By GJSmitty

The Dead Workers Party Network are still mostly going strong, they have a TF2 podcast, a Minecraft podcast, and, I'm pretty sure, a general gaming podcast.  I guess I didn't really get into podcasts until '09, and then I only listened to the Giant Bombcast.  I've started getting into more, but none of the ones I listened to have gone downhill or ended, with the exception of Control Point (TF2 podcast) which ended, but has come back.  I also listen to Beyond, and the other Whiskey Podcasts.  From what I listen to, no, I don't think that they are dying.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#75  Edited By kalmis

@Insectecutor: Nice, didn't know Retronauts is back. Need to give it a shot.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By penguindust
Weekend Confirmed is great.  Garnett even had buddy Shane Bettenhausen on this past weekend.  

CAGcast is usually consistent although the last few weeks have been dicey since "Wombat", the New York based co-host has had some internet problems and keeps getting disconnected from the Skype feed.  This is important because the other two hosts are in Cincinnati and Tokyo, Japan.

The Mobcast from Bitmob has switched to a monthly release, but it is still consistent.  

Finally, the one I always feel a need to mention is a smaller, independent show called Orange Lounge Radio.  I've been a listener to this podcast for years now.  They've got over 400 episodes and that means they've been at this for 8 years!  Originally, the show was live-stream-only and still can be heard live practically every Sunday night at 9PM Pacific on AllGames.  They usually release a podcast version of the show later in the week (Tuesday or there abouts).   The show is hosted by three people who've been friends for a good long time, Rob, Matt and Jamie.  Two men and a woman in their late 20's-early 30's.  Two of the team are married to other people and one from that group has a baby now.  Still with all this going on in their lives, they put up a show in the standard format (whatcha been playing, what's in the news, classic corner, mailbag, etc...) each week.  This one is mostly about the personalities of the hosts, but it's a good show.  Warning; the podcasts are about 3 hours on average, so I usually skip the last 1/2 hour since it's call-in stuff.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CptBedlam

My main gaming podcasts are of course the Bombcast and Weekend Confirmed. I often "watch" Invisible Walls and EBC as well but not as often as I used to. Back in the day I also listened to the 1up stuff but it's a constant downward spiral over there for the last couple of years and these days it's just awkward to listen to.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By endless_void

The Starcraft scene has some fantastic podcasts, including State of the Game and Inside the game. Even if you're just a spectator, I highly recommend listening to them. (they are video podcasts as well which is awesome)

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#79  Edited By wrighteous86

@Irishranger: Mega64's podcast is only loosely related to games, but they can be pretty funny at times, if you're into very dry and immature humor. Irrational Podcasts are rare, but always entertaining--it's usually Ken Levine interviewing someone whose work inspires him, or Shawn Elliott (from CGW magazine) interviewing the team at Irrational. Drunk Tank is the RoosterTeeth podcast (the guys who make Red vs. Blue), so they talk about games (usually Xbox games), but it's not their main focus and they talk about everything they've seen or heard about through the week on the internet, in movies, etc. Double Fine Action Cast gives you some sweet, sweet, Tim Schafer loving, but they only put out a podcast just before a game of theirs is coming out, as promotion.

That should give you a few great podcasts to listen to (if not entirely focused on games or with a bit scattershot of a release schedule).

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By hangedtoaster

If your into following the pro Starcraft scene the State of the Game pod cast features all sorts of shoutcasters and players from it alike. They're generally on the longer side 2 1/2 - 3 hours is the norm.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By Jayzilla

hotspot is actually getting better again. mcginnis, van ord, and sinclair do a good job. actually, i like all the peeps on that podcast a lot!.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#82  Edited By Chris2KLee

Again, a lot of the trouble with some gaming podcasts is that the people on them work for big companies, and like any big company, turnover is way higher. IGN and Gamespot have always had people coming and going for years now. That's why I like Whiskey Media, because while smaller it seems like a more stable work environment. Also blogs like Joystiq also tend to have a more set cast of podcasters.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#83  Edited By Little_Socrates

I wish I could help in a way that wasn't just pimping my own product, but the only gaming podcast I listened to other than the Bombcast was NoobToob, and they're done. I'm not sure I would've recommended them to anyone who hadn't already been listening, though.

Yes, I run my own gaming podcast, and I bet there are people sick of me promoting this podcast in these threads. If you're in the "no Skype" league, you might wanna skip straight to Season 2, as we recorded Season 1 over Skype because I was in Chicago and my fellow podcaster Jake was in Madison, WI. It seems to be going well, but I can say we're not going to be growing beyond maybe adding a new member any time soon. Jake and I are both attending college in just a few weeks, so we made the decision that it doesn't make sense to build ourselves a website or anything huge like that while we're still busy with classes. The E3 episode is also mired with audio issues, and there was one episode I wasn't present for that I didn't edit, so I don't know how that one was.

I'll say that I think the age of the older guys we all know and love might be coming to an end in podcasting, as many did it back when you had to in order to remain a gaming website with some push. Now, though, the press is becoming more faceless again, so podcasts matter less again. Of course, this is not true here at Giant Bomb, but it does seem to be happening other places. Podcasting can be an awkward experience; it's not so frustrating when you're recording, as the conversation eventually gets to where it needs to go. But there's this sort of obligation one feels to not talk to other people about a game during the week in any detail because you know you will be talking about it again in two or three days and other people will actually be listening. I can understand why years and years of that would eventually grate, leading it to be less for fun and more of a job.

But the interns being full of energy on the last couple weeks of videos kind of puts on display that the generation of people who avidly listened to people like Jeff and Ryan for many many years is finally old enough to get their own jobs in the industry and a second wave might finally be on the way. Again, I don't mean to say the Bomb Crew are "too old" or anything like that, especially considering the raise in quality they've seen over the last ten years beyond pretty much all of their peers. But the fact that the interns came out and released three series that many members of the site are avidly watching? Well, I'll just say new energy might still be refreshing too.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#84  Edited By Lazyaza

Jim Sterling ressurrected Destructoids Podtoid a couple months ago and it is now my favorite podcast. 

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By 1p

I look forward to the Giant Bomb and Tested podcasts every week, they're my favorites. The intern podcast is fun as well, but temporary. I also listen to these:

• The Geekbox - Quality depends on the cast, which varies every week. Karen Chu and Adam Fitch have been great recently.
  • IGN Game Scoop - Often terrible, it's a nostalgia thing for me now since i have been listening from the beginning. I really should stop though.
  • One Life Left - Not the traditional podcast format, because it's also a radio show. Fun and varied.
  • PixelJunk Radio - Dylan Cuthbert and some of the programmer guys on there are obviously very smart, yet they make tons of dumb jokes. I enjoy that.
  • Weekend Confirmed
  • 8-4 Play - They seem to have crazy access to Japanese devs and many other awesome guests.
spookyfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By spookyfaust

I hardily agree with the recommendations of:

The CAGcast

Weekend Confirmed

MbMbaM

And not sure if this was mentioned yet:

Gamers with Jobs - Conference Call - It's a nice spin on the typical video game podcast format which often takes a more cerebral approach to analyzing video games (+/- board games, etc...). Often with great guests. They've had Justin McElroy, Ken Levine, and Greg Kasavin on over the past few months...with really excellent discussions from each.

Bertlezat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Bertlezat

You might check out The Final Score from www.frogpants.com. Scott Johnson (podcasting extraordinaire also does The Instance and lots of other geek podcasts) hosts the show with two other co-hosts . You probably won't get any great "scoops" but you will have a good time listening.  

Also I have heard that the TWiT network is starting a gaming podcast, not sure of the name though.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Nerdist - Not much game talk but its nerds being nerds.
  • Mybrother... - Most of the time is funny.
  • Comedy Bang Bang - Great, just don't listen to this weeks episode.
  • IGN podcasts (Unlocked, Game Scoop, Knockin' Boots, Beyond) - All really good.
  • TalkRadar - As mentioned one of the hosts is leaving but the three other main ones are still there. I have faith in them.

Oh and The Indoor Kids podcast is like a gaming podcast run by your friend whos into video games but if you asked him who BioWare or Infinity Ward are, he would just give you a blank stare.

@Bib said:

I look forward to the Giant Bomb and Tested podcasts every week, they're my favorites. The intern podcast is fun as well, but temporary. I also listen to these:

• The Geekbox - Quality depends on the cast, which varies every week. Karen Chu and Adam Fitch have been great recently.
  • IGN Game Scoop - Often terrible, it's a nostalgia thing for me now since i have been listening from the beginning. I really should stop though.
  • One Life Left - Not the traditional podcast format, because it's also a radio show. Fun and varied.
  • PixelJunk Radio - Dylan Cuthbert and some of the programmer guys on there are obviously very smart, yet they make tons of dumb jokes. I enjoy that.
  • Weekend Confirmed
  • 8-4 Play - They seem to have crazy access to Japanese devs and many other awesome guests.

Anything with Greg Miller can not be terrible. Its a law.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By 1p

@Manhattan_Project said:

Anything with Greg Miller can not be terrible. Its a law.

Yeah, Greg's antics are often what keeps me listening. But Game Scoop can be such a mess, dude.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#90  Edited By Yanngc33

In one week gamesradar lost its uk podcast and lost brett elston who was arguably one of the most important parts of the show. If we lose the bombcast, be it because someone leaves or for whatever other reason, then we are fucked

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By zaglis

The first few episodes of Invisible Walls (Gametrailers) were fucking gold because they didnt knew what the fuck they were doing. Then they started taking it serious and it just was fun to listen anymore.

Then there's Sarcastic Gamer. Holy fuck. That thing was EPIC. Every single episode, there were parts where I had to laugh so hard I was in tears. But then it just..I dunno. I just stopped listening to it around the time when one of the hosts left and then came back or ..ehh.

magellan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By magellan

Hotspot is my favorite by far

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DeF
@alternate said:
hell yea for 8-4play!

@mnzy said:
The Mobcast changed its format from weekly to monthly and it helped the quality, I think.
Also, the Irrational podcasts (especially the interviews) are still good and will probably stay that way, since they only do them if there is something or somebody that makes for good podcasting.
really? I think the mobcast has only gotten weaker and weaker over the last 6-9 months. basically ever since they started that trivia thing (totally pointless and boring since the listeners get nothing out of that).

Besides 8-4 Play, I can only recommend Weekend Confirmed, Retronauts (minus the call-in stuff), GamersWithJobs (I recently got into that), Role Player's Realm (GamePro's RPG podcast hosted by former 1UPeress Kat Bailey [Ray Barnholdt makes frequent guest appearances] and I really enjoyed Out of the Game (Jeff Green, N'Gai Croal, Shawn Elliot, Robert Ashley) but they haven't done an episode since February :/
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By McGhee

Goddamn, that Joystiq podcast change was so fucking terrible. Eventually, after insulting their users for a few weeks for hating the new show, they came back with the old podcast but only for once a month. The only bigger cockup I've seen recently was the Kotaku redesign. Well, I'm still done with the Joystiq "Show" just like I'm done with Kotaku.