• 132 results
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

Now when I say words I mean legitimate words. Words that are actually widely accepted as officially part of the English language. I think we can all agree that a lot of modern slang like "YOLO" is super dumb but are there any legitimate words that you just for whatever indescribable reason hate the sound of? I have a vendetta against the word "fierce" anytime someone describes something as fierce I just roll my eyes. Something about the word is just super dumb to me.

So does anyone else have irrational hatred for random words in the English language?

#2 Edited by Kidavenger (3504 posts) -

Ostensibly; every time I hear it said, I automatically think that person is an ostentatious jackass, it's awkward to say and it serves no purpose beyond saying "seemingly" or "apparently".

#3 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5309 posts) -
#4 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Stinky. I hate the sound of this word as pronounced and also don't like that it is cutesy usage of an unpleasant thing.

#5 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2903 posts) -

Fierce is a funny word, I'll give you that.

lol I don't really like Ostentatious for the same reason @kidavenger doesn't like Ostensibly, but that's not me trying to diss you kid.. haha, just funny how words affect people like that. Always hated pronouncing Os Ten Ta Tious, it's like that word has hidden syllables or something.

#6 Edited by cloudymusic (1048 posts) -
@kidavenger said:

Ostensibly; every time I hear it said, I automatically think that person is some sort of jackass, it's awkward to say and it serves no purpose beyond saying "seemingly" or "apparently".

IMO, "ostensibly" can be the clearest way to highlight that something is being claimed to be [x] by someone, but that you believe that there's a different truth behind it. Like, "those surveillance cameras are ostensibly to deter shoplifters, but if you ask me, they're mainly to keep an eye on the employees," or "his promotion was ostensibly for performance reasons, but I think it's nepotism." "Seemingly" and "apparently" don't really have the same implications in that context, because they imply a more neutral point of view. Yes, there can be overlap, but language is subtle; saying "there's no reason you can't just use this other word instead, and you're an asshole if you don't" is sort of crazy.

The way people like Patrick usually use "ostensibly," though, yeah, it's usually not necessary.

#7 Posted by mosespippy (4031 posts) -

I hate the word awesome and think it is over used and near meaningless and I have worked hard to eliminate it from my day to day use. People should come up with better ways to describe something in a positive light.

#8 Edited by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

uncouth, because you cannot be couth.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

I know there are, but I can't think of any right now. Well, besides "literally". WHY DO PEOPLE ABUSE THIS POOR WORD!?

#10 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

The word 'aforementioned' is so far up its own ass it doesn't know where its a begins and d ends.

#11 Posted by Hunter5024 (5534 posts) -

The aforementioned words are all ostensibly fierce.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

#13 Posted by Frobitz (176 posts) -

Loose, when used where lose is actually the correct word.

Not only is it wrong but you've actually typed a whole extra character so it's not even shorter. Goddammit.

#14 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

"Like".

Once you notice someone says "like" a lot, you cannot ignore it.

#15 Posted by Gruebacca (494 posts) -

A large corner of the Internet has determined that 'moist' is the most terrible, terrible word. It's certainly not a nice adjective to be given in any case. It sounds like something that is wet shouldn't be wet in the first place, and that's just gross.

#16 Edited by notdavid (820 posts) -

Crap. It has hard consonants that sound more violent and descriptive than shit, and describes the exact same concept, but it's allowed on television.

#17 Edited by BeachThunder (11687 posts) -

Squelching is pretty bad.

For the most part though, I don't dislike words, I dislike how words are used/misused.

#18 Posted by erhard (388 posts) -

"Sincere" and "democratize" are at the top of my list, probably. Hearing someone use either of those words makes me like them less.

It's a phrase rather than a word, but "in my opinion" is also grating. It's always either an attempt at fake diplomacy or it's badly misused in cases where opinions have nothing to do with the matter at hand. Even when it is used correctly, its usual effect is to make what you have to say seem timid rather than humble.

#19 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3733 posts) -

Chunks.

#20 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5309 posts) -

@psylah: Like is just a fill-in, such as "you know" or "umm" or "OMG," it's probably the least stupid sounding of the group; but still undoubtedly annoying if you pay too much attention to it. Everyone has words they overuse.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -
#22 Posted by Emoney244 (153 posts) -

"Epic". I hate hate hate it!

#23 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5309 posts) -

@video_game_king: There's a pretty good scene (well, several scenes) in Collateral where Tom Cruise says "like that" to express a comparison simply; he seems like someone who might overuse "like."

#24 Posted by Pr1mus (3802 posts) -

I mostly hate it when people use french words in english, because more often than not they don't spell them right and usually have no clue how to pronounce them right. I always picture people who do this as trying to sound sophisticated but really they just sound like some pretentious idiot.

#25 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2556 posts) -

I like all the words. I like the ones people don't like. When people say they don't like moist, slimy, muck or panties; I just laugh because those are great words. English is one of those borrower languages that picks up words all the time, or makes up words on a whim.

#26 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11461 posts) -

"Fail" is one of those words that I will call people out on if they use it as a noun because it's so dumb.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

"Epic". I hate hate hate it!

Yes. Absolutely an over used word. Especially in the hyperbolic world of video games and people trying to sell you shit.

#28 Edited by Dylstew (20 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

Squelching is pretty bad.

For the most part though, I don't dislike words, I dislike how words are used/misused.

Here's the thing. If I don't say ''In my opinion'' at the end of my post on the internet, people will flame me. If I do, they don't. It's pretty strange, but it happened a lot. If I don't do it I ususally have to explain it's just my opinion and that I wasn't stating a fact, asif that wasn't obvious enough -_-. I'm really tempted to end this post with a certian sentance, but I'm not gonna do that xD.

#29 Posted by Aetheldod (3509 posts) -

Look at all of you 1984ers ..... I will wait for your great New diccionary. Long live big brother!!!!!!

#30 Posted by Jackentrote (43 posts) -

Look at all of you 1984ers ..... I will wait for your great New diccionary. Long live big brother!!!!!!

I totally wanna re-read that now

#31 Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

Correct words and not annoying grammar mistakes?

I'm kind of annoyed by February and Wednesday because I can never figure out if I need to pronounce the middle stuff or not. I think about how things are spelled a little too much.

#32 Posted by 49th (2686 posts) -

Particularly. I started sounding it out in my head when I wrote it... now during conversation it's hard not to say "part-i-cu-lar-ly".

#33 Posted by believer258 (11622 posts) -

There aren't any words that I hate intrinsically, but there are words that I try to avoid using because of the mangling they get in modern day speech. "Awesome", "epic", "literally", and "fail" are all examples that have already been mentioned and for good reason.

Correct words and not annoying grammar mistakes?

I'm kind of annoyed by February and Wednesday because I can never figure out if I need to pronounce the middle stuff or not. I think about how things are spelled a little too much.

Yes, this is a problem. I've tried to pronounce that first R in February but it's almost impossible.

#34 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7047 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

I love this gif like I imagine I would love my own child.

It's pretty epic, guys.

#35 Posted by edsone (214 posts) -

Yes, this is a problem. I've tried to pronounce that first R in February but it's almost impossible.

That has more to do with american pronunciation I guess. I've always pronounced the R but my american friends usually do not.

#36 Posted by Bobbyr (79 posts) -

Totes. Specifically, when people use it in the same sense as totally. Drives me insane

#37 Posted by lead_dispencer (34 posts) -

Alot of the things Bros in a frat say bug me. Things like yolked, swol, and merc'd. The first two mean someone who is muscular and mer'c apparently means killing someone or owning them (usually used within games). Depending on who is saying it, the use of "hella" instead of very makes me grind my teeth.

#38 Posted by believer258 (11622 posts) -

@edsone said:

@believer258 said:

That has more to do with american pronunciation I guess. I've always pronounced the R but my american friends usually do not.

I was actually going to type something along those lines, but I was going to more specifically say the American South. I decided not to for some reason.

#39 Posted by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

@edsone said:

@believer258 said:

I was actually going to type something along those lines, but I was going to more specifically say the American South. I decided not to for some reason.

It just reminds me of the Simpsons and Homer not being able to pronounce Library.

#40 Posted by believer258 (11622 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@believer258 said:

@edsone said:

@believer258 said:

It just reminds me of the Simpsons and Homer not being able to pronounce Library.

Yes, I used to pronounce "library" as "libary". I've since corrected that. but I still catch myself doing it sometimes. The dialect 'round here usually involves a pretty big emphasis on the "r", and it means that words with multiple r sounds near each other can be a little harder to say.

#41 Posted by Fattony12000 (7030 posts) -

Gangfelching.

#42 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

Yes, I used to pronounce "library" as "libary". I've since corrected that. but I still catch myself doing it sometimes.

That one sounds a little weird. I thought people stopped doing that when they were children.

The dialect 'round here usually involves a pretty big emphasis on the "r", and it means that words with multiple r sounds near each other can be a little harder to say.

I feel like that's the best way to define some accents/dialects/whatever. Boston accents tend to abuse the hell out of that poor little letter.

#43 Posted by laserguy (438 posts) -

Sourmouth, I Dont like that word.

#44 Posted by believer258 (11622 posts) -

@laserguy said:

Sourmouth, I Dont like that word.

I don't think that's a word.

#45 Edited by Brodehouse (9567 posts) -

I can't decide whether oughtn't is my favorite or least favorite word. Technically I suppose it's a contraction. I oughtn't say more.

#46 Edited by DoctorDonkey (181 posts) -

The word "Edgy" needs to be officially retired from overuse. It has completely lost all meaning and now people constantly make jokes akin to "I cut myself watching this, it was so edgy lols" and it has become used to dismiss pretty much anything people don't like. Every time somebody uses it to dismiss something that doesn't even fall into the category of edgy (which is most of the time), I want to slam them through a fucking wall.

#47 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

Extraordinary. I always look at it as "extra ordinary" and every time think to myself, "how can one be more ordinary?". Obviously that is not the definition and I do not read it as "extra ordinary", but I despise the fact that it is those two words combined.

#48 Posted by Hailinel (23848 posts) -

People have started using the word "ask" as a noun. As in "This is an ask" rather than "This is a request."

I scream inside every time I hear someone use it in that context.

#49 Posted by csl316 (8082 posts) -

Morning. I hate it so.

#50 Posted by shinjin977 (747 posts) -

I am no native speaker but the word "literally" because, if I am correct, it is being use wrong most of the time and the word "like". I studied in the US so I hear the word "like" about 2 times in every sentence. Drove me nearly mad for a while.