Are Utensils Kinda Gross?

• 93 results
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Poll Are Utensils Kinda Gross? (253 votes)

Yeah they are! 2%
If I think about it, yes. But I don't think about it. 11%
You're an idiot. 77%
I love saliva! 9%

So, utensils kind of gross me out and I need to know who else is with me. I ask because I, at times, worry and stress out about really dumb things. So I'm curious if this is a dumb thing.

So think about eating soup with a spoon. The first time you dunk the spoon and bring it to your mouth that spoon is clean. But once it touches your lips and and the inside of your mouth you get saliva and whatever else is in your mouth all over that spoon. Then, you dunk that now dirty spoon back in the soup! All that saliva and shit spreads through all that soup and by the time your down to the last bit of soup I imagine that soup is half soup half saliva. It's so gross! It's this way with all utensils and I have to work hard not to think about this or I'll lose my appetite. And I know it's my saliva but saliva, even mine, is fucking gross man.

So, am I an idiot or rare y'all feeling me?

• 
egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Guess what OP, all food enters your mouth... so all food touches your saliva.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

Guess what OP, all food enters your mouth... so all food touches your saliva.

Like hell it does!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar said:

This seems like an irrational tick to me. Perhaps born (bourne?) from the germ paranoia of today's society.

So you are worried about putting a trace amount of something into your body, that came from your body shortly beforehand? You are not an idiot any more so than I was an idiot as a kid and broke down nearly crying that an ice cream sandwich broke as it came out the wrapper (my parents assured me that I could still indeed eat it in that state and I managed to survive).

Are you aware that a small amount of saliva reaches your beverage of choice each time you take a sip? Regardless of the means in which you consume it.

Have you ever looked at a bun of a hotdog or hamburger and noticed there are teeth marks left behind? That's from you. You put that there. You monster.

Have you kissed a someone else? You sick monster!

You would probably die (I'm no health duder so no definitive statement) without saliva. It is in you always. You *need* it. The natural process of the stomach actually kills a lot of bacteria.

So no, utensils are not gross in any fashion. Assuming they are washed in stuff, I guess.

Also this thread is *literally* crazy. Sorry guys.

It was a bit of a joke thread. It bugs me if I think about it but I rarely do. Y'all need to stop thinking so seriously about it. You remember the thread Jeff created about whether a hamburger was a sandwich or not? I'm trying my hardest to bring dumb shit like that back and if I have to make a dumb thread to do it then so be it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By TruthTellah

@jasonr86 Utensils are pretty clean compared to most things in life.

Have you read The Jungle? Or modern research on what's allowed in the process of making food today? How many bug parts are in so much of what you eat? The allowable amount of insect eggs that will enter your body from everyday food?

Or how many germs are on every inch of you right now? The germs and bacteria kicked up every time you use a water faucet? The bacteria that makes its home inside you?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wouldn't say you're an idiot but I would say it's no big deal.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By tourgen

Get a job at a pig farm or a slaughter house or something equally filthy. Do some back-to-back 12hr shifts until you're exhausted and sore every waking moment.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

The saliva-ignorance is too damn high in this thread. Saliva has numerous antibacterial, antifungal and even antiviral properties. It is essentially the primary barrier to not let your teeth get rotten because of all that soda and beer crap.

Some people are real unfortunate to suffer from Sjögren's syndrome. They can't even swallow a cracker anymore. Cherish the fun times with your saliva, the times you're eating a sandwich on a sunsetting beach. Your long forsaken childhood teddybear covered in saliva. The first time you spat a gob 10 ft. away at high school. The first time you made out. Your dog covering you in its saliva after 10 years of service in the middle-east. Share it with your loved one(s), savour it. The harsh times without saliva may just be within spitting distance.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ripelivejam

thought this was gonna be a thread about the weirdness of the utensil having ever been in ANYONE else's mouf, regardless of having been thoroughly cleansed.

my own juices don't bug me none.

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it a thing where you live to eat with your mouth wide open?

Do you just open gob , shovel in matter then wipe the spoon around on the inside for good measure?

Just use your lips as two soft wipers to pull any food/spit off the spoon as you retract it. Also don't ever go to the hospital as that stuff in your mouth might have once been in someone's ass.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I've never had issues with anything like this. I also have a strong immune system and rarely get sick. I don't know if there's any correlation to me picking a piece of pepperoni up off of the floor and shouting "TEN SECOND RULE" before digesting the sweet, sweet delicious meat but maybe there is. Or isn't. I don't know.

The general sentiment I express whenever people bring up their fear of icky germs is "stop being a pussy". Medical conditions like OCD are exempt of course. They lead harder lives than I do, but if you're just squeamish because you're easily grossed out by the human body then yeah, nut up. Or ovary up. Whichever.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

I've put far dirtier things into my mouth.

Other people's saliva wouldn't even make top fifty on that list.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#62  Edited By TobbRobb

I've thought utensils were gross ever since I understood what cleaning them actually means. They sure aren't sterilized after doing the dishes....

But yeah, we will probably survive anyways. :C

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idiot

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been doing it like this for 17 years why would I give up now

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Well, I don't like utensils but for different reasons than you. I don't care about my own spit and germs- they're already mine haha

I don't like metallic utensils because it can get in the food so it tastes funny. More than that I cant stand water stains, rust or other weirdness that comes with metallic utensils even though they've been washed. I still use them occasionally but I am very picky and put ones I think are dirty back in the sink to be washed again.

I tend to use plastic utensils unless it's something that will cause it to melt.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well now I find it gross. Thanks a lot @jasonr86

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JZ

It's your mouth!

How gross is your mouth, that you didn't even want anything to do with it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Well now I find it gross. Thanks a lot @jasonr86

FINALLY someone is feeling me!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

*sigh*

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's saliva in your mouth RIGHT NOW.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By penguindust

If you're willing to let someone else's tongue in your mouth, a fork or spoon can't be all that bad.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sporks are gross in concept, but that's about it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If this bugs you that much you should be paralyzed by fear about everything ever. Nothing is clean. Poop is everywhere!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Saliva the band SUCKS

We need a song to play over these highlights of football players hitting each other though.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't you like swallow tonnes of your own saliva every day?

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheHumanDove

I voted that you were an idiot.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No. You know whats gross, is toothbrushes, You brush your teeth with a, essentaly piece of cloth on a stick, and then put it in a cup next to the sink in the room where people poo.

These are the same people who are afraid to eat food off the ground after 5 seconds, and they are using a toothbrush 6+ months after they first used it to get that rotten steak out of their mouth. Who knows what else is growing on it 6 months down the line.

Toothbrushes are gross.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By JasonR86

@dagbiker said:

No. You know whats gross, is toothbrushes, You brush your teeth with a, essentaly piece of cloth on a stick, and then put it in a cup next to the sink in the room where people poo.

These are the same people who are afraid to eat food off the ground after 5 seconds, and they are using a toothbrush 6+ months after they first used it to get that rotten steak out of their mouth. Who knows what else is growing on it 6 months down the line.

Toothbrushes are gross.

You know you're right.

We should just invest in big ass bubbles where we live and are cleaned by hoses that spray water at high pressure at us to clean us. And hoses that spray food at us.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seek therapy.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I eat yogurt with a fork because I think spoons have more of the gross potential that you seem to be also concerned about. I'm with you, man. At least to a point. Can't worry about it too much, though.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#83  Edited By audioBusting

I like saliva. It keeps my mouth moist. But I do try to have them stay in my mouth. I don't know about you guys but I usually pull utensils out of my mouth dry by pressing my lips around them.

One thing that weirds me out is how weird saliva smells sometimes, but I don't smell it while it's in my mouth... Is it because I get used to the smell in my mouth? So I don't barf or something? Yuck.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@dagbiker said:

Who knows what else is growing on it 6 months down the line.

A baby?

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#85  Edited By Whitestripes09

I mean... it's not like you salivate pools of drool onto the spoon. Do people even put the whole spoon part into their mouth when eating soup? Usually I'm cautious about getting burned by soup so I tilt small portions of it into my mouth with the spoon and from the very edge of it against my lips. The only time I could ever think about putting the whole spoon part in my mouth is when I'm probably eating ice cream or yogurt, but even then, with ice cream that usually gives me a brain freeze.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think something's wrong in your head. Maybe you should talk to a professional. I'll tag @jasonr86.

Wait... dammit!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By JasonR86

@pr1mus:

Now you know my hidden shame.

Ancient_Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bit silly to be grossed out with what's already in your mouth to begin with. You're just popping it right back in.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So here's a cool story. I'm a practical nurse by profession, though I don't practice it any more. However during the time I was in school for it, I had to go to work for X amount of weeks in various places. One of which was a hospital ward for the mentally insane. Going there made it so I can never use utensils that I haven't personally cleaned or taken out of the dishwasher. Don't read the rest of this unless you want to be really grossed out.

So 't was an evening shift, followed by a morning shift. In the evening, we gave out supper as usual. It was something to be eaten with a knife and a fork. When we brought the utensils back to the kitchen, we missed that one of the knives was missing. It's a real dull knife, not exactly anything harmful, and the typical mental illness here was dementia so there was no real worry that someone would kill someone with a butter knife - it wasn't a ward for the criminally insane after all.

So, during the night, the night shift did her rounds, checking up on sleeping patients. Nothing special to be seen. In the morning we come in, and I get one fairly large lady assigned to me. I go to her room and switch on the lights, something the night shifter hadn't done all night and I see and immediately smell something really, really off. Her sheets are almost covered in dark red, dried blood, and she's laying on her bed, passed out, with her legs spread wide across, with her genitals aptly on display, and they're covered in tiny lacerations she was able to do with that dull-ass fork. So we start administering first-aid, call out for a doctor, all that stuff. This is all gross, but then the next day I'm in morning shift again. I go to the cafeteria that's in the hospital during my lunch, and get something dull to eat. It's knife-and-fork-stuff again, so I grab a knife and a fork from those bins that the utensils are held in.

After eating about three forkfuls of food, I notice something off in my knife. It seems a bit rusty or something. So I look at it closer, wipe it off a bit with the napkin, and notice that it has several strands of dried, blackened blood on it. I freak the fuck out, immediately go tell the kitchen staff about this and head off for a few blood tests in the lab to ensure I haven't caught whatever horrid crap the patient had. Thankfully, I didn't. The hospital eventually traced the knife back to where it came from somehow, and it indeed was the knife the patient had used to cut herself. So this is why I can never use utensils that I haven't washed myself. Because I'll always remember noticing the blood on that knife and get that fucking awful taste of rust in my mouth.

"ewww"

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

It was a bit of a joke thread. It bugs me if I think about it but I rarely do. Y'all need to stop thinking so seriously about it. You remember the thread Jeff created about whether a hamburger was a sandwich or not? I'm trying my hardest to bring dumb shit like that back and if I have to make a dumb thread to do it then so be it.

Gosh darn you. Everyone knows Giant Bomb's forums are for discussing social plights and serious topics. What would Patrick think if he saw a joke on the internet?

Also I was kinda drunk when I posted that long rant. As I often am. I swear half my posts on Giant Bomb are me and too much bourbon. The other half being me pretending I'm tech support.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you think about it, you're always swallowing your own saliva. It's not gross at all.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@brodehouse:

I know it's my saliva but it's gross! It's not even that I'm worried about germs. Saliva is just fucking gross. The fact that it is always in my mouth kind of freaks me out a little too if I think about it. Like I am now. Damn it.

There are all sorts of fluids coursing through your body right now. Some of them are sticky. Some of them are toxic. Some of them smell bad.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the hell do you ever open mouth kiss somebody?

And you are a therapist?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman said:

And you are a therapist?

Of the couple therapists I have had, the better one was also the one I would consider a bit nutty herself. It was easier to describe my issues with the person who has a toe tipped in the crazy pool as well.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was going to be about using public utensils in restaurants, because that is actually gross. I might be crazy but I bring my own spoon and chopstick whenever I go out.