Are you a cable subscriber?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine

I live with my parents and they have cable, but once I move out I'm not sure if I would subscribe. Almost all of the content I'd ever want to watch is available on the internet legally for free or for a very low price. The only thing I'm concerned about is football, but I could always get Sunday Ticket on my PS3.

Do you guys subscribe to cable?

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nemt

I do, but my cable company sucks.

Cablevision

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

I used to split the entire cable bill with my parents, home phone, internet, TV etc, but now I only pay for half of the internet cost as I never watch TV by cable, I haven't sat down to watch a television show on cable in more than a year. I primarily watch stuff on Youtube or through iTunes and PSN but soon I am going to pay for a Netflix streaming plan, it's very cheap at $7.99 a month, by myself and allow everyone in the house to use it if they desire.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By clumsyninja1

Directv, mate

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matthias2437

I do, with Time Warner. I kind of hate it but my internet I get from them is hella fast so I just stick with it.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DopeToast

Yes.

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BC_

I no longer subscribe to cable, but I really really miss my sports. Going to bars to hella expensive.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By rawrnosaurous

There are only maybe a handful of shows that I watch that are even currently running. So no, I find that it's easier for me to watch online or grab a torrent of the newest episode. I will go out and buy the boxed set dvd's of shows that I feel deserve the money, but I don't want to waste so much money on a monthly cable bill when I won't be using it more than maybe 2-3 hours a week.

Avatar image for girlsgeneration
GirlsGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GirlsGeneration

I used to have cable but I don't have it anymore, I just have the internet now that's all I ever need, cable so 2000 = )

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

Hell no. 

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McShank

I have cable. Love it but i dont use it often, Mainly for crap like Blue Mountain state (Now on netflix), UFC or the occasional movie which is all available online but i like to watch on the bigger tv sometimes :D I only have to pay for the internet since im the only one using, otherwise i dont think id have cable if i lived alone.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

yes, i have cable. the cable has been crappy. in august we got these new small boxes for the cable. for some reason comcast said they updated to boxes. we used them for a couple of weeks and then problem started. it didn't get fixed. now the regular cable doesn't work, i don't have a couple of channels. 

for some reason my brother doesn't have internet or cable. i guess we watches stuff at other people's houses and netflix mail service.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JJOR64

Nope.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By ki11tank

broadband and directv

tv is really just for sports and my woman likes to watch american idol and bullshit.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Hamst3r

Nope. I've got the Internet.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Portis

Nah. Cancelled it a few months ago.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp

Yeah, but really it's because of room mates who have shows they actually watch.

But we have FiOS so the price isn't too bad and the internet is good which is all that's important.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust

@clumsyninja1 said:

Directv, mate

This. The first year wasn't too bad, but the second year the price jumped up to a bit over $100 per month since all the bonuses and credits expired. Still better than Dish Network or Comcast, though.

If all you plan to watch it football, why not just go with a free-over-the-airwaves antenna? You should be able to watch FOX, CBS and NBC's games that way. Monday Night Football and the forthcoming Thursday night games will be out, though.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ch13696

I do. I really have no choice because you know... they run a monopoly with the internet in my area.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doctorchimp

@PenguinDust said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

Directv, mate

This. The first year wasn't too bad, but the second year the price jumped up to a bit over $100 per month since all the bonuses and credits expired. Still better than Dish Network or Comcast, though.

If all you plan to watch it football, why not just go with a free-over-the-airwaves antenna? You should be able to watch FOX, CBS and NBC's games that way. Monday Night Football and the forthcoming Thursday night games will be out, though.

Are you a football fan?

If you're stuck in a city with a team you don't care about that significantly cuts your chances to watch amazing games happening around the league.

If I didn't have FiOS in my neighborhood I'd definitely jump on DirecTV's NFL sunday ticket offer.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar

Nope

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vexxan

Nope, I only watch TV when I'm visiting my parents. The shows I wanna watch I can just get from the web.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead

Same as OP. Parents have it but it seems like a waste for anything beyond sports if you're outside of EST.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By haggis

Three-years cable free, here. Haven't missed anything. I manage to get most of the shows I want to see off Hulu and other digital services for less than a quarter what I was paying for cable. Now, granted, I don't watch sports. That makes things difficult for some. But I haven't missed it at all. And I spend less time watching shit that just happens to be on, and am a bit more thoughtful about what I watch. When I sit down to watch something, it's because I want to.

It's certainly not for everyone. It depends a lot on what you want to watch. But in general I'd say that the internet provides so much that I'd definitely recommend trying to go without cable to see if it's a good fit. Cable is too expensive for what it offers. I doubt I'll ever subscribe to it again.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

I cancelled mine about a year ago. 

The only thing I miss is hockey, but I'm not in the right region to get most of the games I want to watch anyways, and I still get Saturday night games on CBC.