• 99 results
#1 Edited by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

So I was just watching the latest random pc game and when they showed one of the characters typing he was doing it using one finger on each hand. Dave called him a pecker and this made me laugh. So giantbomb are you guys peckers or do you type like pros? I am a pecker sadly. Are peckers looked down upon as inferior human beings?

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

I don't peck, but one of my friends does.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

Hugos haunted mansion taught me right

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6898 posts) -

I am not a pecker

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

Oi! I am not a pecker!

#6 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

If it makes it any better I use 2 fingers on my right hand and 1 on my left. I am still somewhat ashamed though.

#7 Posted by SpaceRunaway (809 posts) -

EXCUSE ME?!?

#8 Posted by aceofspudz (877 posts) -

I can touch type the letters, but I do peck the number row.

#9 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I've been typing with all my fingers since I was about 9 or so. Now that I don't play WoW any more though I don't have to write out well articulated messages full of hate while also maintaining a 1.5 second pulse on the lightning bolt button, so my typing has slowed down quite a lot and I make a lot more mistakes.

#10 Edited by weegieanawrench (1918 posts) -

No, I don't peck. I wouldn't say I'm a pro either, my fingers trip a lot, but hey that's what backspace is for.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -

Have you seen how much I type? How would I peck that shit out?

#12 Posted by Galiant (2164 posts) -

I'm a programmer. All fingers, all the time.

#13 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -

No but I also type do not properly at all. I switch from looking at the keyboard to not looking left hand only to both... using the right hand for only a small number of keys ect.

#14 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

I mainly use my index and middle fingers in typing, but do so at 73 wpm with high accuracy. I don't know if that counts as pecking. I do use my ring finger for Q, tab and pinkies for shifts, alts, ctrls, etc. I can type properly, but it's much faster for me to do it the way I do it.

#15 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Jack268: I had a crippling wow addiction for 3 years and keybinded everything so I guess that makes me even worse.

#16 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

If it makes it any better I use 2 fingers on my right hand and 1 on my left. I am still somewhat ashamed though.

Dear god, you've made over 2000 posts using only three fingers!? What dedication!

I type using pretty much all my fingers. Also don't look when I type so I see if I make an error pretty quick. I'm not at code monkey speed, but I'm fairly close.

#17 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@Vodun: Granted most of my posts are super short snarky remarks that shouldnt have been made. Maybe this is why I dont blog?

#18 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Pecker? I hardly even know her!

#19 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

@Hockeymask27 said:

No but I also type do not properly at all. I switch from looking at the keyboard to not looking left hand only to both... using the right hand for only a small number of keys ect.

That's how I type as well.

#20 Posted by thellama042 (102 posts) -

I peck, but it's with both hand on the correct sides of the keyboard. My hunt & peck days were over when I got a desk job that required me to type a lot of emails...

Hmmm... I suppose you could say that I'm not actually a pecker then, huh?

#21 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I'm not an organized typer as my fingers are all over the keyboard (FUCK YOU HOME ROW), but I'm fairly proficient. This has got to be a generational thing, right? I mean, I had a class on typing in elementary school, and I assume this kind of thing is at least fairly standard these days. Why else would you be a pecker?

#22 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

I am not a penis and I am offended that you would ask me if I was one. I demand an apology!

#23 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -

I'm not a pecker I don't think, but my style of typing is a little irregular. I use two fingers from my right hand and basically only the index finger from my left hand. The strange thing is that I am left handed with a pen, so it could almost be my body compensating for that or something. I never learned how to type 'properly', but the method I have works well enough for me. When I'm trying to type quickly I can get 100WPM with correct grammar and punctuation. I suppose I do peck at the number row or attempt to take a guess, but considering how few numbers I really use on the internet it works well enough for me.

#24 Posted by Linkster7 (1002 posts) -

I taught my self to type through various 90's windows software, so I'm proficient to say the least.

#25 Posted by Brendan (7521 posts) -

I'm not a proper typer, but I use three fingers on each hand. I have never used my pinky fingers.

#26 Posted by Rerejo28 (135 posts) -

I peck like fuck. I (thankfully) don't hunt and peck anymore. That shit sucked... Now I at least know where all of the keys are! So yeah, I peck, I wish I knew a good way to fix it, tho.

#27 Posted by FesteringNeon (2153 posts) -

Do you remember MSN Messenger? I learned how to sext there.. thus, naturally rubbing away at my previous pecking skills.

#28 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

Between my friends a pecker means a small penis. Just thought I'd share. No for both meanings.

#29 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I type with my Jew nose.

#30 Posted by kidman (458 posts) -

IRC taught me to touch type

#31 Posted by Bollard (5027 posts) -

@xobballox said:

I mainly use my index and middle fingers in typing, but do so at 73 wpm with high accuracy. I don't know if that counts as pecking. I do use my ring finger for Q, tab and pinkies for shifts, alts, ctrls, etc. I can type properly, but it's much faster for me to do it the way I do it.

I'm pretty much the same as this, mostly middle and index, and other fingers for the outliers. And my typing still pretty fast and accurate in my opinion, haven't done any tests though.

#32 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

No.

#33 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1221 posts) -

I'm a huge pecker.

#34 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Hugos haunted mansion taught me right

wow.. forgot about these games

#35 Posted by Masha2932 (1237 posts) -

No, but I did that when I was learning to type.

#36 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

I'm not a pecker, I can type 80+ WPM all day without looking at the keyboard. 

The thing is, though, I don't use the traditional home keys. I mean, I do with my right hand, but my left hand is permanently stuck on the WASD keys (Shift & ASD actually).

Hey, it works.

#37 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1437 posts) -

Nope. See? when typing the word "Nope" I had to use four fingers.

#38 Posted by CookieMonster (2408 posts) -

I have no idea.

#39 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

I certainly don't use proper form but I have decent WPM and accuracy.

@Video_Game_King said:

Have you seen how much I type? How would I peck that shit out?

Thousands of moon-monkeys randomly bashing moon-typewriters...

#40 Posted by jasonefmonk (336 posts) -

Not really a hunt-and-peck type but I'm a far cry from home row. I touch type with about six digits, although I do need to glance down every few minutes if my hands get misplaced.

#41 Posted by bennyboy (327 posts) -

no i type like a regular person. it netted me 152 wpm on a facebook typing app once :)

#42 Posted by pyromagnestir (3965 posts) -

I type properly. Unless I don't have too, in which case I'm a one handed half pecker half proper or somewhere in between.

#43 Posted by BRich (428 posts) -

How did anyone under the age of 35 manage to grow up as a pecker in today's world? That's insane.

#44 Posted by CptPanda29 (189 posts) -

I'm a pecker, but I'm really fucking good at it.

#45 Posted by newt (92 posts) -

I touch type on the colemak layout.

#46 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

All ten fingers are being used when I type stuff. 

#47 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

I was a pecker until I started playing MMOs, now I use all my fingers, but it's not proper typing at all, feels more like I'm playing a piano if that makes any sense.

#48 Posted by NegativeCero (2927 posts) -

I thought you were talking about something else if you know what I mean...I mean a penis.

But to actually answer your question, no I'm not a pecker, but I'm not the fastest typist either.

#49 Posted by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -

@Ravenlight:

You're closer to the answer than you know.

#50 Posted by wewantsthering (1459 posts) -

Nope!