User Lists: 5

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Yeah. The Release Preview has been stable and snappy. I can understand some people's misgivings about Windows 8, but I think a majority of them are following a herd mentality and are misguided.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

So windows 8 is out for $70 or $40 dollars for an upgrade from XP, Vista or 7.

For me personally I like the look of the metro interface but I'm slightly concerened how it will handle on a desktop. I feel like I need to ry it out before I'm ready to commit.

labman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By labman

No, it looks like shit! Okay, so I will probably give it a try...but, if it turns out that it's shit (which I think it will be), I'll just stick with Win 7. I really hope I'm wrong about the shittiness of it, though.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By TyCobb

The only reason why I am currently holding off is I work from home and I just don't want to format my machine and re-install all of my dev tools. Perhaps in a couple of months when I take a week vacation. If anything goes wrong, I'll have plenty of time to solve it.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Giantstalker

Currently, no.

eSci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By eSci

I get it free through my university, and funny enough all my instructors say not to bother yet unless you want to be a bug tester. But, since it's free I might give it a go.

Avatar image for themaineevent33
theMAINEevent33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theMAINEevent33

I'm gonna get it. Getting a new laptop next week and it will have it preinstalled. Plus, I get a free copy from work which I'll most likely install on my desktop if I like it enough.

sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sterbacblu

Think I'm about to do it. I have one of those $15 upgrade codes. I only use my PC for gaming, so it probably serves no purpose to do so, but what the hell?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver

If it's like what I used in the consumer preview, absolutely not. If they fixed the corner prompts to actually appear when I want it and not accidentally all the time, then sure.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By myniceicelife

I may get it for my laptop, but not my desktop.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mendelson9

I also just got an email from school where I could download Windows 8, 2 versions of Windows 7 and Office for Windows and Mac. Sweet. I was never planning on getting Win8 for my gaming PC but since it's free, ill give it a shot. I just hope I don't find many games that break in Win8.

On a side note, does anyone know how to get a copy of Windows XP or 98? I have some old games that don't work on 64-bit and would like to install it on an old hard drive. I really have the urge to play Chips Challenge and MindMaze.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

Yep. Definitely, it's great.

@BestUsernameEver said:

If it's like what I used in the consumer preview, absolutely not. If they fixed the corner prompts to actually appear when I want it and not accidentally all the time, then sure.

They have made such massive improvements from the Consumer Preview. I DLed the CP, then the RP (which they updated drastically) and apparently from the reviews I've read even the RTM has far more than the RP ever did. And they're going to keep updating it and possibly add new features that people clamour for, like boot to desktop.

@eSci said:

I get it free through my university, and funny enough all my instructors say not to bother yet unless you want to be a bug tester. But, since it's free I might give it a go.

They've been bug testing for over a year now since the release of the developer preview. The RTM build is extremely stable, so says every review I've read. Even the RP was extremely stable from my use of it.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slay3r1583

I'm still using an old Windows XP machine so there is no way I'm going to try upgrading that. By the time I get around to buying or building a new computer Windows 8 will probably be the only version available.

eSci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eSci

@Mendelson9 said:

I also just got an email from school where I could download Windows 8, 2 versions of Windows 7 and Office for Windows and Mac.

Damn you are lucky. That is the ONLY Microsoft product I don't get for free. Granted, I got a discount (total ended up being $90 or so for office 2010) but still that would have been great to get that shit for free.

@xyzygy said:

@eSci said:

They've been bug testing for over a year now since the release of the developer preview. The RTM build is extremely stable, so says every review I've read. Even the RP was extremely stable from my use of it.

Good to hear, funny enough I just bought Windows 7 x64 when I built my current computer a few weeks ago, before I had my MSDN account. Too bad I wasn't more persistent on getting the account setup, would have saved me $100 but oh well.

But, I am extremely interested in checking out Windows 8. As an IT student, I probably should anyways just in case I have to support it in the future.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By l4wd0g
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

C.

I've seen nothing about Windows 8 that would make me want to upgrade from Windows 7.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By JJOR64

I'm going to stick with Windows 7. If I hear enough good buzz about it, I might switch to it eventually.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cloudenvy

Nope! I'm as cool as I can be with Windows 7!

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By Levio

Based on the features I've seen, I'm inclined to say "Why bother", but based on the incredibly low price, I'm also inclined to say "Why not".

Quite the pickle.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Subjugation

Don't get it yet. I got it for free through my university and it was just one big headache.

I had it installed on my desktop and Windows 8 currently has issues connecting to wireless networks with the WPA2-PSK enterprise encryption (what my apartment complex and university use) so I spent a good couple of weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't get on the internet. That's a pretty big deal considering how much of my work requires the internet. An ethernet connection will work just fine, but wireless is not there yet. Maybe I'll switch to 8 a few months down the line but I've already had a taste of "bug testing" and I don't like it.

Besides, there isn't anything earth shattering about 8 that I'm just clamoring to have.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By BeachThunder

I'll wait for 9.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By audiosnow

@eSci said:

Unfortunately, that's hard truth for every OS upgrade. I'm still getting random cursor disappearance from upgrading to OS 10.8, despite that it came out in July and has had two x.x.X updates. If you can get a retail copy for free, I would suggest installing it in a virtual machine and keeping your working OS standing. Always let other people bug test software...

EDIT:

@Subjugation said:

Don't get it yet. I got it for free through my university and it was just one big headache.

I had it installed on my desktop and Windows 8 currently has issues connecting to wireless networks with the WPA2-PSK enterprise encryption (what my apartment complex and university use) so I spent a good couple of weeks trying to figure out why I couldn't get on the internet. That's a pretty big deal considering how much of my work requires the internet. An ethernet connection will work just fine, but wireless is not there yet. Maybe I'll switch to 8 a few months down the line but I've already had a taste of "bug testing" and I don't like it.

Besides, there isn't anything earth shattering about 8 that I'm just clamoring to have.

Have you tried it with other WPA2-PSK networks? It's what I use, and my (long-gone) virtual machine of the W8 consumer preview handled it fine. Although it's entirely possible they broke something after that point!

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nadril

I'm debating getting it. $40 isn't bad. I'm just not entirely sure yet if it's worth it.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iceman228433

Fuck that shit.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By happenstance

Im completely happy with Windows 7 at the moment and dont see the point in a lot of the new stuff in Windows 8. I get it for a tablet but I dont think its needed for a PC.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Geralt

Sure, I'll get a capacitive multi-touch monitor while I'm at it too. Acer or Dell, not sure yet.

I like to buy things...it fills the void inside.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctorchimp

I actually have that stupid thing Jeff had and I could have gotten it like months ago. It doesn't even seem like worth the hassle.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Daryl

Nah looks shit, nobody cares about Windows 8. XP4life

johnaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By johnaze

Even though I may not use it right away, I've preordererd the upgrade version from Amazon, only because it was like 50 bucks.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Stete

Windows 7 works fine for me. I'll wait for Windows 9 when it comes to changing OS.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Worcanna

Ive not heard enough about it. For something that is meant to be a big deal, so little information has been given. Are they going to push a new DirectX with it, do you HAVE to have a touch screen stuff (because i know it has a huge amount of stuff with it) :/ i guess im just needing info.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Worcanna: to your two questions no and no.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sungahymn

B.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Funkydupe

Are there any features to it that Windows 7 doesn't have? Does it use less system power? I don't care for the App/Widget approach.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Vexxan

Not for a while, W7 is still rocking on.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By lumley

I'm considering giving it a shot.
I think I can get it free via DreamSpark. The website shows it available for my uni and course but I have a feeling I'll need to get login details from our IT department or something. Even if I can't it is pretty cheap so I might give it a shot.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Wemibelle

I certainly wouldn't get it for at least a year. Microsoft has had some pretty bad history with early usage of its OS's. There is no guarantee the same thing would happen here but I've never been a huge early adopter of technology.

Even past that point, I'm not really sure. Everything I've seen about it looks like the opposite I want from my OS - something simple and unobtrusive that lets me play video games easily. I'm not a huge fan of the whole Metro thing and the close-minded nature of the whole app marketplace is a bit depressing.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Im waiting for controller support in Metro, then I will get it. Don't really use start menu any way apart from control panel, got all the programs I use on the task bar anyway.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Any performance gains in games?

Does it boot\load faster?

Is there much apps on the Metro store?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bourbon_Warrior:The answers to your first 2 questions are no and yes (there are tests done which are easy to find if you google) as for the third question from what I understand no but that will probably change.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

After the first service pack.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#43  Edited By Mnemoidian

I think the upgrade price is good - they've finally gotten something.

However, it the OS sounds like a mess to me. But I'll probably upgrade eventually.

For now, my plan is to wait for Surface Pro, hear how that is and maybe get one of those, if they are really good. Maybe that will inspire me to upgrade my primary computer.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SamStrife

All of you saying wait a year...the $40 price tag lasts only until January 2013, then it goes up to standard Windows Prices.

I have 8 and it is absolutely fine. I have very few issues with it. It's also frighteningly fast to load of my hard drive, which has pretty average read speeds.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By supamon

I will probably get it sooner or later since I'll probably need it for developing purposes. So far I'm not feeling it since I feel it's trying to cater to an invisible audience but who knows, it might catch on.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not, I'll stick with Windows 7 until I need a new PC.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jams

I tried the release preview earlier and I HATED IT. It so counter intuitive to how I use a computer that I ended up canceling my preorder. I decided that I'll wait until Windows 9. But if they go down the same path as they are with 8 then I guess I'll end up sticking with 7 or Linux for good. Yes, it was that bad for me. Everything that would normally take 2 to 3 steps to accomplish ended up taking 4 to 5. All the menus worked for touch screen but didn't make sense for a mouse. Ugh, my experience was so bad. If I ended up having to get any new Windows OS, I'll finally have a good reason to dual boot to it. As it is now, Linux and Windows GUI are about the same. Now since Windows is going the touch route, LInux would be a lot easier to handle desktop work and W8/9/10 or whatever for gaming ONLY.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense. I have a cold, just woke up and am waiting for coffee to brew.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ravenlight

Am I guaranteed zero compatibility issues with my current software library? No? Then I don't want an upgrade.

42manZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By 42manZ

I'll probably wait until I want to upgrade my PC. That way the jump will be bigger. Also I want to see if it's actually worth having. At this point I'm not so sure. Sometimes you wait through a Vista to get a Windows 7.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By PerryVandell

No, Windows 7 works fine and I haven't seen anything from 8 that makes me want to sprint to the nearest electronics store.