#1 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I'm just going to be moving on from something I've spent too much time dwelling on this year. I was going to make it to start running but I already did that just because.

...and maybe I'll use my time more wisely next this year.

#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

If I was going to start acting like a better person I'd do it at a better time of the year, rather than at a time when I just received a lot of free stuff and ate way more than a person should.

#3 Posted by _Horde (837 posts) -

Getting into Platinum league.

Maybe making my Large shirts fit me even better.

#4 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I'm really resolved to lose weight this year. I'm not grossly obese or anything, but I have been a lazy turd this year.....and the one before that. I guess that means fewer video games, but I'm almost 30, and I need to start being responsible with my weight and overall health.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I'm resolving not to have any resolutions.

#6 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

You can not change perfection

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36015 posts) -

Hell no. What's the point when I'm going to forget/abandon said resolution in a few weeks?

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I keep flip-flopping on the whole "quitting smoking" thing. Frankly, it's just getting too expensive at this point. $40-$50 a week for smokes is getting kind of dumb, and moreover, I've got a car payment now that the money could easily be going to.

Nonetheless, one thing that IS changing is that I'm getting a gym membership and I'm going to start taking better care of myself.

#9 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

Sort my life out

#10 Posted by Village_Guy (2495 posts) -

I'm probably going to say to myself that know I'm gonna get in better shape and lose a bit of weight, and then never actually get it done.

#11 Posted by _Chad (963 posts) -

I want to get closer to Chie.

#12 Edited by Sanity (1891 posts) -

Nope, i think there dumb as most people never stick with them more then a few weeks. Besides, if it takes a new year to get you to change something then im guessing your not willing to change. Its not always the case but i watch people put extreme expectations on themselves only to be bummed out 2 weeks later when they cant go through with it.

#13 Posted by Giantstalker (1533 posts) -

Probably to go to Afghanistan again, the weather's not so bad & the pay's fantastic.

#14 Posted by Empirepaintball (1392 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

If I was going to start acting like a better person I'd do it at a better time of the year, rather than at a time when I just received a lot of free stuff and ate way more than a person should.

Fantastic.

#15 Posted by BaneFireLord (2911 posts) -

Be generally more sociable and do my damnedest to obtain a girlfriend.

#16 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

No, if I want to make a change I'll do it now.

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

Nope. I've already made resolutions and have kept to them rather well.

#18 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I don't make new years resolutions. But If I were to make one it'd be get in shape, stop smoking.

#19 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

Work out more. I probably won't.

#20 Posted by RecSpec (3764 posts) -

The same one I make every year: "Don't die." 

#21 Posted by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

More consistent exercise, dedicate at least 1 hour/day to non-work-related side projects, get the apartment more organized.

#22 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

higher quality masturbation, more exploratory sandwiches, learn to play piano

#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

My resolution is to not make any. Fuck.

#24 Edited by TorMasturba (1095 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

I'm really resolved to lose weight this year. I'm not grossly obese or anything, but I have been a lazy turd this year.....and the one before that. I guess that means fewer video games, but I'm almost 30, and I need to start being responsible with my weight and overall health.

My advice, look into reading Paleo solution and attending a crossfit gym, the book covers pretty much everything nutrition related and will educate you on the real facts of food fats.(ie: Low fat foods are actually not good for you etc). Crossfit will make you the fittest guy in your area and VERY quickly reduce bodyfat, and make it considerably easier to build muscle.

Good luck on your resolution, whatever you choose to do, and be willing to put more effort than you expect to for health and physique goals. These changes don't happen with a gentle jog or light weights. Walk alot more and sprint and deadlift challenging weights which give your body the signals that it needs to start improving in all areas.

#25 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

Join the gym, I know that's the typical answer, but I really am going to probably.

I've already been way more active this year than I have been for a while - now I just have to bulk up a bit more

#26 Posted by Solh0und (1756 posts) -

Resolutions are for suckers.....except you guys. You're the exception

#27 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

To expand on my resolution I put too much time into a girl this year only to get jerked around, so for a while I'm going to focus on myself and university.

#28 Posted by JBG4 (388 posts) -

My resolution is to improve my overall health. In 2012 I was stricken with a rare condition called RSD that has taken away my ability to use my left arm so my resolution is to work as hard as I possibly can to beat this and get my life back the way it was before.

#29 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Buying less crap that I don't need.. specially gadgets.

#30 Posted by Ben_H (3311 posts) -

Lose 30 pounds. I've already lost 5 so I am off to a good start. Christmas kinda messed that up though. I should get back into the swing of things when school starts again. 

Save more money. I saved a fair amount last summer but spent a good $1500 the last couple months so I would like to save and do that again, or save money so I can get a newer car when I finish university, though that isn't a huge deal because I love my VW. I might just try to get an apartment instead. That won't be for at least 2 years so I have time to figure that out.

#31 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Someone once told me about an article or something saying that New Year's Resolutions are doomed to fail because you're waiting for the turn of the calender to magically assist you to make changes in your life (or something like that). Make the resolutions now, or in March, or September or something if you really want the changes to happen.

#32 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -
@Sooty: Had the same experience, have been actively been staying away from women and I've been in a remarkably good mood since then.
#33 Posted by Hunter5024 (5543 posts) -

Reduce amount of time spent crying with my arm wrapped around a tub of ice cream.

#34 Posted by Sweep (8818 posts) -

I'm going to quit drinking.

#35 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

#36 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Finish uni and radically reduce my alcohol consumption. During the last few years I developed a habit of drinking beer when playing videogames etc. It's become rather problematic, hardly a day went by without me drinking a few cold ones. That needs to stop. It's not good for me.

edit: Also, continue working out. I made pretty good progress this year (lost about 15 pounds) which I am pretty happy about. I'm in pretty good shape now but I want to lose, let's say, another 5 pounds.

#37 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

My resolution for next year will remain at 1920*1080

#38 Posted by MoonlightMoth (462 posts) -

I'm not making any actual resolutions but I'd like to try and drop a few dress sizes, if my general laziness will allow for it.

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

- No more flings (read: don't ruin my ex's new relationship)
- More saving (both the financial and videogame kind)
- Back up all my files more often
- Play more games and finish/archive games when done so I don't end up with a huge backlog.

#40 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@stonepawfox said:

higher quality masturbation, more exploratory sandwiches, learn to play piano

If you're clever, you can combine all three!

#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

Probably something vague like "get my shit together." I wouldn't want to be too specific, that would open the door for failure.

#42 Posted by Petturi (55 posts) -

Continue losing weight, play more PC games, get over 300,000 gamerscore and win a fighting game tournament.

#43 Edited by Spaceyoghurt (159 posts) -

A lot of small things, behaviors and cognitive stuff. But most important is probably a deal I've with my dad. He promised he would quit smoking if I would cut the whole Snus thingy. Him quitting that foul stuff is the best motivator I could think of.

#44 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@mercutio123 said:

@Sooty: Had the same experience, have been actively been staying away from women and I've been in a remarkably good mood since then.

Sounds good, for now I'm just going to do my own thing, focus on university and if someone grand comes along we'll see what's up. Not going to fool myself into thinking I need a relationship again though, jumping into the last one proved a mistake.

#45 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

Beat more games before I finish high school.

#46 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

I'm going to watch all of the Indiana Jones movies, on Blu-Ray. I've never seen their unedited versions so I am fucking stoked to see them in glorious blu-ray with my 7.1 surround sound headphones.

Even the Crystal Skull :(

#47 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Nah, if there was something I really wanted to do, it wouldn't take a new years resolution to make me do it.