• 139 results
#101 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

It's just supply and demand. People pay a ton of money to watch and support athletes. There's only a handful of people who can compete at that level. However, pretty much anybody with a teaching degree is qualified to teach. The same goes for most careers.

#102 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

It's simple supply and demand, not many people are super,super, super talented at football (soccer). Lot's of people like to pay to watch and support teams of talented players.

Limited supply, high demand you know the rest.

#103 Edited by spraynardtatum (2943 posts) -

Athletes are entitled whiny crybabies. I get more offended when they go on strike so they can make more.

#104 Posted by Flappy (2241 posts) -

Nope. Business is business, man. Besides, if someone offered me millions to do something that I loved, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#105 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3364 posts) -

A little but at the same time it doesn't amount to the money the popular organizations make off the player themselves. For those who follow the NFL they recently settled the lawsuit with players due to concussions for 765 million dollars. About 625 million of that will be divided among 6,000 former players some now suffering ill effects due to their time in the NFl. This may sound like a lot of money but if you read the articles out there, the players were originally asking for 2 billion from a company that generates around 10 billion annually. In about 10 years its predicted the NFL will double their revenue to around 20 million by 2020, that's insane.

#106 Posted by Hunter5024 (5671 posts) -

I don't think there's any job in the world that deserves that kind of money. It just reminds me that for all of the progress our societies have made throughout the centuries, one thing will always remain true: there will always be people working their ass off so their family can barely scrape together a living, and there will always be people living in palaces entitled to every luxury they could possibly dream of. We've still got peasants and lords, except now they're called blue collars and celebrities.

#107 Edited by JadeGL (865 posts) -

No. Some sports stars make a lot of money, yes, but there are plenty of minor leaguers in various sports and even people who make it to the professional leagues who make nowhere near as much as a top star. I figure for every Tom Brady (to borrow a player from the NFL) there are probably quite a few players who make much less. The average income of an NFL player was 1.9 million dollars in 2011. However, that’s just an average, and for every star quarterback making the news with a new, record-breaking contract, there are players making the league minimum as well. You also have to consider how much revenue is generated by professional sports. Professional sports are beloved by their fans and the money that they generate is crazy, so why can’t the salaries for the people playing the sport be just as crazy?

If you want to get offended by something, get offended by things like how long the NFL tried to stonewall the research and findings in regards to concussions in the NFL, or get offended by how many professional sports leagues (both owners and players) fought so long and hard against proper testing and punishment for things like the use of PEDs. Or get offended by some of the information coming out about how long players and coaches can get away with anything, including murder, so long as their colleagues can look a blind eye to their conduct, the examples of which could fill a phone book and go all the way from college to the pros.

I am mainly using examples from American sports leagues, so forgive me if I am kind of taking a broad approach. I find that the amount that people are paid in sports can be silly, but no more silly than what a CEO makes when compared to the employees in the trenches of the company or to a doctor or teacher. Also, I find that there are much more pressing matters to be focusing on in professional sports, including access to healthcare for retired players, the concussion issue I already mentioned, the deification of players to an unhealthy degree that leads to things like them getting away with crimes that a normal person could never avoid, and on and on.

#108 Posted by Pr1mus (3905 posts) -

As opposed to the owners making even more? Not one bit. Where should the money go otherwise?

#109 Posted by redelectric (160 posts) -

@jadegl: I'd wager there are prolly more murders inspired by soccer than by America's sports leagues combined.

#110 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Offended? Not even in the slighest.

Does it make me go "What?" when I see how much some people are making just for acting or playing sports? sure.

Especially crazy when it's a big(at that moment) star that everyone wants and he/she just makes a cameo on a show or something.
"So we want you on the show/in this movie for, 30 seconds maybe and you say two things. How does 500 gajillion dollars sound?"

Same goes for the sports people as well, they make money playing sports, sometimes crazy money.
They show up in a commercial and boom, even crazier amounts of money just for pretending to like a toothbrush.

#111 Edited by JadeGL (865 posts) -

@redelectric: Perhaps. :)

What I know about soccer (gah, footy! Sorry!) could fit on the head of a pin. My knowledge of American sports, however, including American Football, I consider pretty good.

Of course I was talking more about actual players and coaches committing crimes, not so much fans being inspired by or instigated into committing crimes.

#112 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

I think our society overvalues sports, entertainment and entertainers in general and this is coming from someone in the entertainment industry. I don't know it ended up that the modern equivalent of minstrels became some of our most highly paid (and therefore most highly valued) people.

#113 Edited by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

Everyone has beaten the argument I'd present into the ground in the fact that it's because the organizations make so much money that the players get they're bit. So what I add is that with the deranged amount of money these organizations make from the public they could lower ticket and concessions prices so damn much to make it more affordable and they'd ALL STILL be making more than enough money about middle-class men/women to complain about. The matter of the fact is that there is a high demand; everyone wants to watch these games and the ticket prices are in the range that the right amount of people are willing to pay to watch them. If the prices were lowered everyone would be able to afford it and the supply not support the demand in a sense. Now, could organizations simply expand the stadiums to accommodate more fans? Sure, why not, but in a capitalist view, why should they. They want to maximize profits and this is how they do it.

Capitalism my friends is fair but unethical to the whole, and those two rarely coincide.

#114 Edited by Flappy (2241 posts) -

Nope. Business is business, man. Besides, if someone offered me millions to do something that I loved, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#115 Edited by redelectric (160 posts) -

@jadegl: Me too, as far as coaches go. Great post, by the way, I'd forgotten about the concussion issues..that's the real tragedy in sports. These guys get about the same treatment as racehorses; racing healthy one day, glue after a trip.

#117 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (168 posts) -

If the athletes weren't getting it than someone else would. The money is going to be coming in regardless of how much they pay the players. They aren't really being paid for playing football, they are being paid to make a bunch of money for other people by playing football. So, yeah, they aren't saving anyone's life or anything but they deserve a (big) slice of all that money.

#118 Posted by JadeGL (865 posts) -

@redelectric: That's the thing I think a lot of people forget. These players need to make guaranteed money while they can because their careers can be over in an instant. Not every baseball player will have the longevity of a Nolan Ryan or Tim Wakefield and not every football player can play into their late 30s, let alone into their early 40s, especially considering the physical toll that the game can take. Yes, it's a lot of money for some players, but tomorrow they could be paralyzed or suffer some other injury that may not be as severe, but could end their career by making them less effective at their position.

#119 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

It really doesn't bother me how much athletes make.

It is extremely hard to keep your body in the kind of shape it needs to be, to even compete in these sports. Even the worst NBA player on any roster is better than 95% of the people out there who play basketball and aren't in the NBA.

While these guys do make a lot of money, you have to remember the constant travel and constant team appointments they have to keep. Playing on a professional sports team is more then just showing up for the game. And players like LeBron James, or Kobe Bryant who make 15 million dollars a season? That's a lot, but you have to understand that teams like the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers make tons of money off of them and their names. Merchandise, appearances...them just being on the team sells tickets and they aren't cheap. Season tickets for the Lakers are literally thousands of dollars.

In the end, it all works out. The highest paid players are making money for the teams they play for. It isn't the one sided deal it may seem to be.

#120 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

It really doesn't bother me how much athletes make.

It is extremely hard to keep your body in the kind of shape it needs to be, to even compete in these sports. Even the worst NBA player on any roster is better than 95% of the people out there who play basketball and aren't in the NBA.

While these guys do make a lot of money, you have to remember the constant travel and constant team appointments they have to keep. Playing on a professional sports team is more then just showing up for the game. And players like LeBron James, or Kobe Bryant who make 15 million dollars a season? That's a lot, but you have to understand that teams like the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers make tons of money off of them and their names. Merchandise, appearances...them just being on the team sells tickets and they aren't cheap. Season tickets for the Lakers are literally thousands of dollars.

In the end, it all works out. The highest paid players are making money for the teams they play for. It isn't the one sided deal it may seem to be.

#121 Posted by Slag (4348 posts) -

Offended no, are they vastly overpaid? yes.

Do they deserve what they get yet? yes.

Why? Because the sports league are exempt from anti trust by the gov't disallowing true competition and players have no say where they get to work. Which creates an imbalanced market in terms of supply and demand.

Furthermore in some sports (NFL) take great personal physical risk coupled with short careers. So by making the owners have to compete for talent at least the money circulates more through the economy instead of owners hoarding insane amounts of money. Not to mention the owners have their biggest expense financed by the public.

Should sports facilities be funded by the public's tax money? Hell to the no.

And the fact they are is what actually bothers me.

#122 Posted by The_Tolman (433 posts) -

Eh, they're personalities. Their paycheck is just part of the spectical that is professional sports. People talk about these crazy numbers and it gets them thinking about the sport, turning into more overall views and more revanue for the teams and networks. I guarantee the logic behind the high wages for the teams is that "you gotta spend money to make money."

#123 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

"are you offended by..." is quickly reaching the level of hate that I have for other stuff like "am I the only one..." thread titles

#124 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

"are you offended by..." is quickly reaching the level of hate that I have for other stuff like "am I the only one..." thread titles

#125 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -
#126 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3312 posts) -

Huh?

So if a team makes 100 million a year they shouldnt pay the players who make them popular or succesful their fair share? It's not actors and sports stars who are overpaid - no, they get their cut of the millions, as they should, its YOU and ME and most of us who are underpaid. And yeah, sometimes we deserve not to be paid a lot. What you deserve has nothing to do with how important your job is or how hard it is, not in this world.

#127 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

@fallen189: It's just the way how the system works at the moment - these franchises make a tonne of money - and their players and staff are paid accordingly. If anything, it's society who has it backwards on what should be supported more... but saving lives and teaching the next generation etc.. isn't as sexy as sports / entertainment / fashion I guess.

#128 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Offended? No, i don't think thats the right word for it.

Disgusted? Absolutely. They make millions and millions of dollars for effectively playing a game. Kinda crazy.

I'm also pretty grossed out by how much actors make. Robert Downy Jr. is supposed to be getting like 50-75 million for the next avengers movie. The fuck???

I'm not going to get pitchforks nad torches or anything, but it's still gross.

#129 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

What I dislike about it is that they are getting paid partly by the huge rise in the cost of ticket prices over the last 20 years. Football clubs are different from normal businesses in that they are part of the community, like the social clubs and the church, People in a lot of cases don't make a rational choice to support a football team, for a lot of people it is part of their identity and represents where they come from.

Clubs have taken this loyalty and used it to push up the prices at games which has forced out the traditional working class fans and young kids (the average age of a football fan at a match in the Premier League is 46) and it I don't think it is right that a big part of the these huge salaries is based on this exploitation of the fanbase.

I know people are going to say that its just ecomomics and people are prepared to spend this much so they are worth it. But for me it is another example of the way that the push to maximise revenues just ruins the thing which is being sold.

Additionally, most clubs, even with the huge ticket prices and Sky revenues, are still in debt. Lots of clubs in the past ten years have gone in administration, usually leaving strings of unpaid debts, all through trying to chase this inflated wage, and transfer market. Add to this the fact that clubs like West Ham and Spurs have the cheek to expect hand-outs from the local council to build or move stadiums.

Football has a huge problem with money, there are only a few clubs that can afford to pay these huge wages and it is bankrupting the rest trying to keep up.

#130 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

I'm not offended by market economics. Sports players don't get paid that much because as a society we've decided they're ethically superior to doctors. They get paid that much because that amount of people will pay to watch them ply their craft.

Its nothing to do with ethics. There are no ethics in capitalism. They earn more money because football clubs are more profitable per person than private medicine and they pay much more unequally. No-one's decided anyone is ethically superior.

#131 Posted by Ares42 (2662 posts) -

While sports stars might be more visible there are plenty of people that earn way more with even less effort. However you have to remember that in most cases (even with sports stars) their efforts create jobs. Sure, they might just throw or kick or catch a ball, but because they do it hundreds of people get to earn a living selling tickets and beer etc etc. They are not really paid for the work effort, it's mostly dividents on all the other work they create.

#132 Posted by ajamafalous (11992 posts) -

Not even almost. They are the best in the world at what they do and they are paid as such.

They also only play for 5-20 years depending on the sport, as opposed to getting paid that much until they're 65.

#133 Posted by ajamafalous (11992 posts) -

Not even almost. They are the best in the world at what they do and they are paid as such.

They also only play for 5-20 years depending on the sport, as opposed to getting paid that much until they're 65.

#134 Posted by arg3n7um (67 posts) -

Professional athletes are ultimately entertainers. The difference being of course, that the entertainment they provide is competing in a particular sport. As long as people pay to view them, they will have these salaries. I am not offended, nor am I jealous of athletes and the amount of money they make. They spend their entire lives sacrificing, training, and working to play at that level.

I personally have an issue with reality "stars", but that is a different topic.

#135 Posted by hermes (1480 posts) -

Not particularly. Like it or not, most athletes train and work pretty hard to get to be in that position as professionals.

Do other people work hard? Yes. Do they deserve more recognition? Yes. But that doesn't mean professional athletes "had it easy" or "don't deserve what they get". If anything, the public enables them to get that kind of money.

#137 Edited by noizy (666 posts) -
#138 Edited by noizy (666 posts) -

Scalable vs. Non-Scalable Careers. Here's a little blurb: http://casnocha.com/2009/03/scalable-vs-non-scalable-careers.html

#139 Edited by The_Ruiner (1052 posts) -

Considering the amount of money the games they play in are making..they deserve a slice of that. Even though their slice is insanely small compared to what the owners and ad people involved are making. Not offended by that at all?

#141 Posted by The_Ruiner (1052 posts) -

Considering the amount of money the games they play in are making..they deserve a slice of that. Even though their slice is insanely small compared to what the owners and ad people involved are making. Not offended by that at all?

#142 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -

No, compared to the amount of money they bring in if anything they should make more.

As for the OP, I also think that teachers are underpaid but that's another argument.

#143 Posted by nick_verissimo (1385 posts) -
#144 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

I wait for this quote every time I see a complaint thread, thanks.

#145 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

I wait for this quote every time I see a complaint thread, thanks.

#146 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

Think about it, greater chance of injury and endless hours of practice and training for 5-10 years of fame and money. Also for every sports star there's 1000 wannabe sports superstar, the ones at the top give there life to the sport. and should be paid like it.

#149 Posted by Dalai (7028 posts) -

Definitely not offended. If people are willing to give out those contracts, have at it. And I think some people who are offended are missing the fact that only a handful of athletes in sports are given these monster contracts where a player can make $10-30 million per year. Most pro athletes in the major sports do make good money, even those who are given the minimum, but how long do some play at a high level? Football players have an average shelf-life of about 3 years. There are hundreds of players in the minor league baseball system that make wages that are closer to us regular people who are absolute shit at sports. Not everybody can be as lucky as Alex Rodriguez or Kobe Bryant who can attract an audience and bring home championships.

Well... maybe not A-Rod, but you all get my point, right?