• 139 results
#151 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Its simple, Life's not fair.

Certain people either won the genetic lottery and worked thier asses off to get to that point. They live the good life and so on until one day career ending injury. Those millions made is now something different. Did that athlete have some kind of backup plan? Did he waste his entire life on the sport he was in?

Also, think of everything from the parking and food money to actually buying a ticket to see them play. You are the ones that ultimately pay these athletes.

#152 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Seeing as how players get about 10% or less of what the team is making, I'm offended they don't get more.

#153 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2495 posts) -

Offended is maybe the wrong word I'd use. Ridiculous seems more appropriate.

It's ridiculous how much money professional athletes make.

#154 Posted by ManMadeGod (1584 posts) -
@seppli said:

Just saying. Who's more important to your life? The soccer superstar? Or the fruitpicker who picked the oranges for your breakfast orange juice. Sure, you can easily replace the fruit picker. All it takes is a semi-able body. Regardless, the fruitpicker made a more meaningful contribution to your wellbeing than a the soccer superstar ever could. True fact.

The lowly fruitpicker makes minimum wage, if that. The soccer superstar is an idol to young and old, and rakes in millions and millions. What does that say about the world?

People derive entertainment from sports. It helps them relax. For millions, the soccer star is more important than the fruitpicker.

I myself don't watch sports, but for other it's a religion.

#155 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

First of all... offended? Ugh.

And second, so tired of hearing complaints about pro athletes. The money goes into the sports... should the players not make their fair share? It's incredibly hard for them to reach the level they do. In the NFL, the average career is like 2 years. These guys earn their money and are an extremely elite group. Do people suggest we'd rather just have owners take even more of the money instead?

It's such a silly, childish argument. Really, it uses so little logic and the funny thing is people who are usually anti-big business in all other areas make it.

@seppli said:

Just saying. Who's more important to your life? The soccer superstar? Or the fruitpicker who picked the oranges for your breakfast orange juice. Sure, you can easily replace the fruit picker. All it takes is a semi-able body. Regardless, the fruitpicker made a more meaningful contribution to your wellbeing than a the soccer superstar ever could. True fact.

The lowly fruitpicker makes minimum wage, if that. The soccer superstar is an idol to young and old, and rakes in millions and millions. What does that say about the world?

..... it says we can find almost anyone to fruitpick? Vs athletes with ultra rare combination of athletic ability, hard work, and skill.

Entertainment is a very important part of most people's lives. You are on a videogame website. People don't buy tickets to or watch fruitpicking on cable every week.

Is this stuff really that hard to understand? I'm confused.

I don't think this has ever been more relevant. You are "offended" by someone else succeeding in their field... such a joke.

#156 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

Don't worry, once the world picks up the pieces after a nuclear holocaust and the barter system becomes the global exchange of choice, everything will be fair.

#157 Posted by OurSin_360 (941 posts) -

You would need to say the same thing about actors and directors, they get paid off how many people watch their product. Sports is entertainment, end of story. The value is based solely on the amount of money it brings in, which is why college sports players not getting paid is such a controversy, since college sports make more money than pro sports. And as much money as the talent makes, just think how much more the owners make who REALLY don't do shit

Also, athletics is just as grueling and requires as much hard work as any job to me anyway, they get the money and the fame because people pay to see them play.