Are you on medication/Do you see a therapist?

• 65 results
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

So this question has been buring in my mind and I finally asked it. I myself take medication for deppresion and see someone as well, and I have many friends who do as well. So it got me thinking, does our demigraphic have a high rate of people who do also? Is the fact that we play video games make us a little depressed/mentaly affcted, or does the fact that we are like this make us like video games. Maybe the fact that people look down on us a lot was a factor. Just most of my friends are like me and a majority of them are also on meds. I don't know if the medication is really helping my depression that much though...

So what about you? And I don't mean medication for allergies or anything like that. You obviously don't need to tell us what mental illness you need to take them for or explaine.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cube

Not...anymore...

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fwylo

I do not do either.

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Blueman

Nope.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Hourai

No. I deal with my problems myself. 

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daveyo520
@Hourai:
Sometimes people need help, but that is understandable.
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HS21

Endurance runs are my anti depressants. And cocaine....lots and lots of cocaine.

DEllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By DEllen

Not for mental health issues.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I used to see a therapist, but was never put on medication. I have a generalized anxiety disorder, nothing real grave. My wife is bipolar and takes medication.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Kyreo
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daveyo520
@HS21 said:
"Endurance runs are my anti depressants. And cocaine....lots and lots of cocaine. "

Sigh...
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Cwaff

I deal with my own craziness myself.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

I don't see a therapist anymore though I'm still on AD's.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond

I used to, but I went off them several years ago and I've been probably even better since.  I don't know if meds ever actually helped me, learning to control my own thoughts / emotions worked better.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By natetodamax

Thankfully no.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Nope.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By aleryn

No, but if your medication is what keeps you functional, more power to you.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 9cupsoftea

You should have made this a poll, I would have been interested in seeing the results. I did take them, long ago, and my girlfriend took them up until recently. I think it's really common these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm bipolar but I don't take meds anymore.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sixghost

I think depression and ADD/ADHD are overly diagnosed these days.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Skytylz

Hell no, I'm not a crazy person!

crazygirl413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crazygirl413

All I have is ADD.  My Mom is making take fiveance.  Don't want it though.  I feel it is better to work on things yourself.  I don't want rely on medicine to fix my problems.  

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daveyo520
@9cupsoftea:  There is a double edge sword with polls, you can see all the results but o have to reply to my own topic to write something. I wish I could just make a poll with what I have to say about it right there.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c1337us

I don't take any medication, never have. I also do not see a therapist as I am an advocate for bottling up your emotions "like a real man." However there was this one time in my last year of school that I painted myself as a corpse for an art project. My teacher freaked out and thought I was suicidal and crying out for help so I got sent to the schools chaplain. Turns out though I was an 18 year old dude who just thought it would be a fun thing to do something a little different (and look awesome) to paint myself as a rotting corpse. That was the one and only time I have ever "seen" anyone like that and it was the most tedious and pointless hour of my education.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Daveyo520
@c1337us said:
" I don't take any medication, never have. I also do not see a therapist as I am an advocate for bottling up your emotions "like a real man." However there was this one time in my last year of school that I painted myself as a corpse for an art project. My teacher freaked out and thought I was suicidal and crying out for help so I got sent to the schools chaplain. Turns out though I was an 18 year old dude who just thought it would be a fun thing to do something a little different (and look awesome) to paint myself as a rotting corpse. That was the one and only time I have ever "seen" anyone like that and it was the most tedious and pointless hour of my education. "
My ex used to just let things roll off like that. BUT she is a real crazy person and has no real emotions because she is a sociopath. 

@Skytylz:  This stuff doesn't make you a crazy person.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm on anti psychotics. Don't ask.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Daveyo520
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I'm on anti psychotics. Don't ask.

"
I was hoping people wouldn't unless you/others volunteered to share. 
lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lolicanseeyou

yup, i am on drugs

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Whisperkill

Nah. Once I was absent a bunch in school and they made me go see some dude probably because they thought I was depressed or something. Turns out I just got sick and went on a vacation in the span of a month. I had to go a few more times even though I had nothing wrong with me...

Irish87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Irish87

I'm what you call a Functioning Alcoholic. In theory I probably should go see a doctor and get some pills or something, but I don't like driving drunk. 

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nail1080

Dude those meds don't work do you realise how complicated the central nervous system is, scientists have barely scratched the surface of their understanding of it. Not to mention how hard it is to design drugs which are effective and which can actually access the brain through penetration of the periphery into the CNS. Dude screw the meds and do what people before you have done for generations to cure depressive states. Smoke pot.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Hamst3r

I self-medicate with tacos.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ

This here forum is probably my "medication".  This and video games.  I've never seen a doctor/therapist/anything to get diagnosed with something, but I probably have something as I'm kinda messed up when compared to "normal" teenagers of my age. 

If I didn't have forums where I could actually discuss stuff with people who share my interests or video games where I could spend my time and let my imagination run wild, I'd probably way more messed up than I am now. 

Edit: I do have an extreme need for sweets when I get really emotionally on edge, though.  Calms me down.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hitchenson

I take some pills to help me not get too stressed over OCD, been on them for a few months now, shit helps a lot. Also, I see a councillor at my local GP's every other week. It's been more than helpful, all of '09 I slept on the couch out of fear of creasing the duvet on my bed. Was a pretty shitty year, I must say. 

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pox22

I used to be on anti-depressants and saw a psychiatrist for pretty severe depression back in....junior year of high school?  I really disliked my shrink; she was very distant, couldn't relate to anyone, and I wasn't comfortable opening up to her at all.  I also disliked taking medication; I did not like the thought that good feelings were artificial and administered.  I reasoned that I would rather be depressed than worry about any happiness coming from medication as opposed to my own ability to handle my life.

So I stopped taking the pills without telling my parents, waited for two months before telling them--demonstrating that the pills weren't needed and thus I didn't need to keep seeing my shrink, since she wrote my prescriptions.

Of course, my problems weren't solved; I was still depressed.  But I suppose I convinced myself that suffering is noble, and that genuine ennui is preferable to artificial happiness.

Once I transferred to Illinois State from a local community college after my sophomore year of college, I was pretty much "better" at that point.  Life has never been better, and when things aren't rainbows and sunshine, I can deal with it like a big boy.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By swamplord666

nope and happy about it. Hopefully i don't come to it at any point before i'm old and breaking down

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HS21
@c1337us said:

" I don't take any medication, never have. I also do not see a therapist as I am an advocate for bottling up your emotions "like a real man." However there was this one time in my last year of school that I painted myself as a corpse for an art project. My teacher freaked out and thought I was suicidal and crying out for help so I got sent to the schools chaplain. Turns out though I was an 18 year old dude who just thought it would be a fun thing to do something a little different (and look awesome) to paint myself as a rotting corpse. That was the one and only time I have ever "seen" anyone like that and it was the most tedious and pointless hour of my education. "

I kinda envy you. I think it would be really interesting to have a conversation with a psychiatrist. I'd love to see what they wrote on their clipboard of judgement when it's all over.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@HS21 said:
" Endurance runs are my anti depressants. And cocaine....lots and lots of cocaine. "
same.
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HS21
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @HS21 said:
" Endurance runs are my anti depressants. And cocaine....lots and lots of cocaine. "
same. "
You never ask me to hang out and kill hookers with you. What's up with that Bateman? 
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By c1337us

My mum still talks about that all the time. She kept pretty much every art project I ever did for school and she tried to get it back from the school for years with no luck. Eventually the faculty of the Art Department changed and I wasn't a student anymore and the painting got lost after it was entered into some youth art comp or some such thing. It wouldn't surprise me if it is rotting in some land fill somewhere.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cube
@nail1080: They do work. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HS21 said:
" @Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @HS21 said:
same. "
You never ask me to hang out and kill hookers with you. What's up with that Bateman?  "
I have an 8:30 res at Dorsia tomorrow. Maybe afterwards?
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By Coombs

No, the fact that the parents of the current generation consider typical teenage angst to be a disorder 
That is the reason so many people are on these meds.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HS21
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @HS21 said:
" @Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @HS21 said:
same. "
You never ask me to hang out and kill hookers with you. What's up with that Bateman?  "
I have an 8:30 res at Dorsia tomorrow. Maybe afterwards? "
Sure, sure. Take my card, it's eggshell white with Romalian type. Call me when you're free Patrick. 
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#45  Edited By the8bitNacho

I take Paxil.  Anti-anxiety stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HS21: I absolutely love your tan. Where do you summer?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cube
@Kombat said:
" I take Paxil.  Anti-anxiety stuff. "
My dad took that and came off cold turkey and had to leave work for like a year from withdrawal. 

Brootul
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HS21
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @HS21: I absolutely love your tan. Where do you summer? "
I've got a tanning bed at home, you should look into it. I used to go to the Hamptons though. 
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Daveyo520
@Coombs:
I am beyond a teenager and so is everyone I know.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GreggD

I just take some bipolar medicine, that also helps me sleep. I would consider myself functional.