• 117 results
#1 Posted by IAmNotBatman (655 posts) -

So for me I think I'm usually myself, non-committal one-liners or just single sentences. Sometimes though, (not as often as I used to) I just turn into an asshole and sorta regret it later... Like kinda judging other people, trying to categorise others, not being patient, insulting people and all of which is very unlike me in real life :/

I was just curious if anyone else sees themselves acting as they don't feel they otherwise would in real life, on GB or otherwise.

#2 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'm not really that sexy :(

#3 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

I don't really put on any personas for the internet. The stuff I post is reflective of what I would actually say in person.

#4 Posted by CornBREDX (5631 posts) -

Yes. I am me on the internet and off.

#5 Posted by Random45 (1234 posts) -

I'm a lot more vocal online of course, since I'm anonymous. I voice my disagreements more often, and I get into stupid arguments as well because again, I'm anonymous on here. I feel that this is the case for most people as well.

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (9323 posts) -

My internet persona is as much a part of me as the way I am with people in person. There are many different parts to who I am online, and that matches the many different ways I may be around different people in different situations in person.

There's no way I could be exactly the same in the typed word as I am in person, but I think I provide a decent representation of myself on here and elsewhere.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Why would you assume otherwise?

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

As far as I'm aware. Posting here is just a way for me to get thoughts out so other people can ignore it or insult me for having a different opinion than them. In RL i'm just sitting in my room alone playing video games and dicking around on my computer. I don't pretend to be something. You gotta have a pretty sad life to feel the need to pretend to be something online. I just can't imagine what a person would get out of it.

#9 Edited by freakin9 (1153 posts) -

I don't really have a persona on this forum, but on the ones I do I'd say I'm a lot more honest in real life, where on the internet I'm prone to bullshit posts because I think it's more entertaining. In real life that type of bullshit would make me seem crazy, so I don't get as nuts, and if I do, I tend to make it obvious I'm being sarcastic, where on the internet I tend to just let it sit there, without explanation.

#10 Edited by IAmNotBatman (655 posts) -

I don't see a crown in sight!

#11 Posted by wjb (1676 posts) -

I am.

#12 Posted by jkz (4043 posts) -

I'm a pretty huge asshole

#13 Posted by TheRealMoot (399 posts) -

I'am always me, here and otherwise.

#14 Posted by believer258 (12000 posts) -

Kinda.

Well, OK, yeah, pretty much, though the fact that I'm behind a screen and can scan over what I'm about to post for five minutes before posting it makes a difference.

Though, my speech in real life is sometimes terrible, grammatically, and it's sometimes a little slurred. I also sometimes stumble over my words when trying to get a sentence out. Needless to say, I'm far from a social butterfly. I do talk to people, it's just that at the end of the day, I like my own time.

I curse more in these posts than I do in real life, though I have no shortage of f-bombs said aloud under my belt.

You missed an opportunity for a Persona-related joke. Are you feeling OK tonight, VGK?

#15 Posted by AMyggen (3341 posts) -

That's a really good question, actually. I guess I'm more outspoken on the internet than IRL, I tend to not be the best around people I don't know in social situations. But overall I think I'm more or less the same guy.

#16 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3577 posts) -

I'm not really a ghostbuster coffee mug.

#17 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

No.

#18 Posted by Flappy (2302 posts) -

Flappy is a sarcastic asshat.

I am a sarcastic asshole.

Dwayne Casey is the greatest tank commander in the NBA.

#19 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I am and always have been a sentient pair of sunglasses.

#20 Posted by gokaired (557 posts) -

Yes and No, it varies. I am a Power Ranger/Super Sentai nut in real life though :)

#21 Posted by VoshiNova (1698 posts) -

@sexytoad: Oh pish posh, we know of your sexiness!

I am VoshiNova. But I'm more of a Jered.

#22 Posted by Fattony12000 (7528 posts) -

Hah.

I wish.

I'd get all the sweet babes and hot boys IRL if I were.

#23 Posted by Nux (2383 posts) -

I try to be, yeah.

#24 Edited by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

In real life, it's often hard to see how you come across.

Online, I think it's ten times as hard. At least in person you can control inflection and tone, and you can read others to see if somethings getting lost in translation. So...we're probably the worst people to judge. The people we see ourselves as being online is probably very different from the people everyone else see. It also probably compounds the little differences anonymity affects but we don't really notice.

#25 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

I don't really have an internet persona, but I think one tends to carry oneself in quite a self assured, irreverent, and easy-going manner on the internet, and very often that is absolutely not at all reflective of what I'm like in real life. I'm just as honest in real life as I am on the internet, but often I'm less confident in stating my opinion, but that's not just an internet thing; I've always been more comfortable with expressing myself in a written form as opposed to talking.

If my internet persona comes across as considerate, meditative, and willing to learn and engage, then I would like to think that this is also how I conduct myself in the real world.

#26 Posted by afabs515 (1191 posts) -

Sarcasm with a bit of pretentiousness? Sounds kind of like me.

#27 Posted by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

More or less. That extra time to think through a response can do wonders, both good and bad. I don't put on a persona, though, unless I'm using a gimmick account for laughs or something.

One big difference is that I'm extremely quiet in person until I get to know somebody. It's not shyness, I just have a rough time with the "when"s and "what"s of socially acceptable conversation. I can't lead a conversation to save my life, but if the other person leads, I'm totally fine.

#28 Edited by Dalai (7042 posts) -

You got me, I'm not a llama.

However, what you see from me on the internet is essentially what you get in real life, I think. Maybe I'm less of an asshole compared to how I'm conveyed on the internet? Maybe?

#29 Posted by OtakuGamer (1263 posts) -

Well... I wouldn't be talking to random dudes without a good reason that’s for sure. I would be very hesitant to get into a conversation with people, especially something involving religion or politics. I also wouldn't talk much like this without a couple of “you know” and “errs” somewhere in-between.

My opinions and personality are the same though.

#30 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -

I sure am. Although, I'm usually pretty keen on coming up with plans and strategies. I just use this alias to lull others into a false sense of security.

I'm actually Sinatra's ghost come back to life through the Giant Bomb forums. Ring a ding ding!

#31 Edited by GaspoweR (3178 posts) -

Well, I do come type in all caps from time to time in comments but really though I don't just blurt out one-liners in real life but most of the time, I'm pretty much myself on here. Another difference is that I don't talk about video games on a daily basis outside the internet.

#32 Edited by RespitefortheLovelorn (17 posts) -

Yes, it feels like I live behind a one way mirror.Oh boy

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258:

There hasn't been an Internet Persona, yet. I didn't want to be premature. Wait twelve years for Persona 6.

#34 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

Indeed

#35 Posted by Tireyo (6446 posts) -

Pretty much. I'm very quiet and outspoken in person though... I rarely say a word to most anybody. I don't normally talk about whats going on with me either like I do here sometimes, because real life people are much more critical. Otherwise, what you see is what you get with me. I've never been sure if thats a good or bad thing though.

#36 Edited by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

Yes. I am one of the biggest assholes you will find. I do a lot of shit out of pure spite and love to play devil's advocate without actually letting that be known.

#37 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1622 posts) -

Yes. But I'm a jerk in real life.

#38 Posted by Belegorm (462 posts) -

I tend to be more polite, calm, and use well-thought out sentences online. I tend to put my foot in my mouth much more often when talking out loud though, and I mumble quite a bit.

#39 Posted by Rorie (3117 posts) -

i actually ate a puppy yesterday

Staff
#40 Posted by ConfusedOwl (952 posts) -

For the most part I'd say yes I'm pretty much the same offline. The biggest difference being that I'm way quieter in real life and far more hesitant to share my opinions.

#41 Posted by BaneFireLord (2952 posts) -

I'm a lot louder, more bitter, more argumentative (when bluntly provoked; my disinterest in sparking confrontations or getting in the middle of shit-flinging contests on the internet does carry over to reality) and more passionate in real life than on the internet. Kind of the reverse of what you would expect.

#42 Edited by NTM (7486 posts) -

Yes I am the same, though I can go into more detail on certain things than in real life, and sometimes I use words on the internet that I think would just sound stupid in reality and perhaps pretentious... Perhaps and pretentious being two of them. Actually, I don't really know. I'm probably different. I'll just say that I don't treat the internet like some others where they act different due to the anonymity. On or off, people are people and we can all feel, so I wouldn't act like an asshole to a stranger, since I wouldn't do it in real life, as an example.

#43 Posted by TubaCroc (10 posts) -

Man you guys are boring.

#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@rorie said:

i actually ate a puppy yesterday

Did you? Or did you just hold a puppy really close to your face and exclaim, "LOOKATDATPUPPY!THATSACUTEPUPPY,ICOULDEATYOURIGHTUPNUMNUMNUMNUM!"?

#45 Posted by Hunter5024 (5821 posts) -

I'm actually way more intelligent and funny in real life, but I have to tone it down a bit online so you guys don't feel bad.

#46 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

So for me I think I'm usually myself, non-committal one-liners or just single sentences. Sometimes though, (not as often as I used to) I just turn into an asshole and sorta regret it later... Like kinda judging other people, trying to categorise others, not being patient, insulting people and all of which is very unlike me in real life :/

I was just curious if anyone else sees themselves acting as they don't feel they otherwise would in real life, on GB or otherwise.

Online persona? Is this the kind of dumb shit kids worry about?

#47 Edited by Aetheldod (3632 posts) -

Im a bit funnier and put a lot of emoticons (even my brother commented once on this, that I was funnier while typing to him than talking IRL)... my real self is more quiet and distant

#48 Posted by ZolRoyce (736 posts) -

I'm not really a ghostbuster coffee mug.

My world has been shattered like the mug you are not.

The internet allows for me to be more well though about things I say, given I can wait minutes or days to respond to someone. It also gives me the ability to be a bit more of an asshat then I normally would be.
But over all it's all pretty much the same.

#49 Posted by GnomeonFire (769 posts) -

No.

#50 Posted by GnomeonFire (769 posts) -