Are you the same person in RL as your internet persona?

• 116 results
IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So for me I think I'm usually myself, non-committal one-liners or just single sentences. Sometimes though, (not as often as I used to) I just turn into an asshole and sorta regret it later... Like kinda judging other people, trying to categorise others, not being patient, insulting people and all of which is very unlike me in real life :/

I was just curious if anyone else sees themselves acting as they don't feel they otherwise would in real life, on GB or otherwise.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SexyToad

I'm not really that sexy :(

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't really put on any personas for the internet. The stuff I post is reflective of what I would actually say in person.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4 cornbredx  Online

Yes. I am me on the internet and off.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a lot more vocal online of course, since I'm anonymous. I voice my disagreements more often, and I get into stupid arguments as well because again, I'm anonymous on here. I feel that this is the case for most people as well.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My internet persona is as much a part of me as the way I am with people in person. There are many different parts to who I am online, and that matches the many different ways I may be around different people in different situations in person.

There's no way I could be exactly the same in the typed word as I am in person, but I think I provide a decent representation of myself on here and elsewhere.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Why would you assume otherwise?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

As far as I'm aware. Posting here is just a way for me to get thoughts out so other people can ignore it or insult me for having a different opinion than them. In RL i'm just sitting in my room alone playing video games and dicking around on my computer. I don't pretend to be something. You gotta have a pretty sad life to feel the need to pretend to be something online. I just can't imagine what a person would get out of it.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By freakin9

I don't really have a persona on this forum, but on the ones I do I'd say I'm a lot more honest in real life, where on the internet I'm prone to bullshit posts because I think it's more entertaining. In real life that type of bullshit would make me seem crazy, so I don't get as nuts, and if I do, I tend to make it obvious I'm being sarcastic, where on the internet I tend to just let it sit there, without explanation.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IAmNotBatman

I don't see a crown in sight!

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm a pretty huge asshole

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'am always me, here and otherwise.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Kinda.

Well, OK, yeah, pretty much, though the fact that I'm behind a screen and can scan over what I'm about to post for five minutes before posting it makes a difference.

Though, my speech in real life is sometimes terrible, grammatically, and it's sometimes a little slurred. I also sometimes stumble over my words when trying to get a sentence out. Needless to say, I'm far from a social butterfly. I do talk to people, it's just that at the end of the day, I like my own time.

I curse more in these posts than I do in real life, though I have no shortage of f-bombs said aloud under my belt.

You missed an opportunity for a Persona-related joke. Are you feeling OK tonight, VGK?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's a really good question, actually. I guess I'm more outspoken on the internet than IRL, I tend to not be the best around people I don't know in social situations. But overall I think I'm more or less the same guy.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'm not really a ghostbuster coffee mug.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Flappy is a sarcastic asshat.

I am a sarcastic asshole.

Dwayne Casey is the greatest tank commander in the NBA.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I am and always have been a sentient pair of sunglasses.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and No, it varies. I am a Power Ranger/Super Sentai nut in real life though :)

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad: Oh pish posh, we know of your sexiness!

I am VoshiNova. But I'm more of a Jered.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah.

I wish.

I'd get all the sweet babes and hot boys IRL if I were.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Nux  Online

I try to be, yeah.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TowerSixteen

In real life, it's often hard to see how you come across.

Online, I think it's ten times as hard. At least in person you can control inflection and tone, and you can read others to see if somethings getting lost in translation. So...we're probably the worst people to judge. The people we see ourselves as being online is probably very different from the people everyone else see. It also probably compounds the little differences anonymity affects but we don't really notice.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I don't really have an internet persona, but I think one tends to carry oneself in quite a self assured, irreverent, and easy-going manner on the internet, and very often that is absolutely not at all reflective of what I'm like in real life. I'm just as honest in real life as I am on the internet, but often I'm less confident in stating my opinion, but that's not just an internet thing; I've always been more comfortable with expressing myself in a written form as opposed to talking.

If my internet persona comes across as considerate, meditative, and willing to learn and engage, then I would like to think that this is also how I conduct myself in the real world.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sarcasm with a bit of pretentiousness? Sounds kind of like me.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

More or less. That extra time to think through a response can do wonders, both good and bad. I don't put on a persona, though, unless I'm using a gimmick account for laughs or something.

One big difference is that I'm extremely quiet in person until I get to know somebody. It's not shyness, I just have a rough time with the "when"s and "what"s of socially acceptable conversation. I can't lead a conversation to save my life, but if the other person leads, I'm totally fine.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Dalai

You got me, I'm not a llama.

However, what you see from me on the internet is essentially what you get in real life, I think. Maybe I'm less of an asshole compared to how I'm conveyed on the internet? Maybe?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I sure am. Although, I'm usually pretty keen on coming up with plans and strategies. I just use this alias to lull others into a false sense of security.

I'm actually Sinatra's ghost come back to life through the Giant Bomb forums. Ring a ding ding!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GaspoweR

Well, I do come type in all caps from time to time in comments but really though I don't just blurt out one-liners in real life but most of the time, I'm pretty much myself on here. Another difference is that I don't talk about video games on a daily basis outside the internet.

Avatar image for respiteforthelovelorn
RespitefortheLovelorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it feels like I live behind a one way mirror.Oh boy

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

There hasn't been an Internet Persona, yet. I didn't want to be premature. Wait twelve years for Persona 6.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indeed

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Pretty much. I'm very quiet and outspoken in person though... I rarely say a word to most anybody. I don't normally talk about whats going on with me either like I do here sometimes, because real life people are much more critical. Otherwise, what you see is what you get with me. I've never been sure if thats a good or bad thing though.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TyCobb

Yes. I am one of the biggest assholes you will find. I do a lot of shit out of pure spite and love to play devil's advocate without actually letting that be known.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Yes. But I'm a jerk in real life.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to be more polite, calm, and use well-thought out sentences online. I tend to put my foot in my mouth much more often when talking out loud though, and I mumble quite a bit.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

i actually ate a puppy yesterday

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

For the most part I'd say yes I'm pretty much the same offline. The biggest difference being that I'm way quieter in real life and far more hesitant to share my opinions.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a lot louder, more bitter, more argumentative (when bluntly provoked; my disinterest in sparking confrontations or getting in the middle of shit-flinging contests on the internet does carry over to reality) and more passionate in real life than on the internet. Kind of the reverse of what you would expect.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

Yes I am the same, though I can go into more detail on certain things than in real life, and sometimes I use words on the internet that I think would just sound stupid in reality and perhaps pretentious... Perhaps and pretentious being two of them. Actually, I don't really know. I'm probably different. I'll just say that I don't treat the internet like some others where they act different due to the anonymity. On or off, people are people and we can all feel, so I wouldn't act like an asshole to a stranger, since I wouldn't do it in real life, as an example.

TubaCroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man you guys are boring.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

i actually ate a puppy yesterday

Did you? Or did you just hold a puppy really close to your face and exclaim, "LOOKATDATPUPPY!THATSACUTEPUPPY,ICOULDEATYOURIGHTUPNUMNUMNUMNUM!"?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm actually way more intelligent and funny in real life, but I have to tone it down a bit online so you guys don't feel bad.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So for me I think I'm usually myself, non-committal one-liners or just single sentences. Sometimes though, (not as often as I used to) I just turn into an asshole and sorta regret it later... Like kinda judging other people, trying to categorise others, not being patient, insulting people and all of which is very unlike me in real life :/

I was just curious if anyone else sees themselves acting as they don't feel they otherwise would in real life, on GB or otherwise.

Online persona? Is this the kind of dumb shit kids worry about?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aetheldod

Im a bit funnier and put a lot of emoticons (even my brother commented once on this, that I was funnier while typing to him than talking IRL)... my real self is more quiet and distant

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers