• 84 results
#1 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -
#2 Posted by pweidman (2299 posts) -

I'll check it out on the LEP on XBL. The show just started btw. The 7 Minutes of Terror clip is amazing. I'm betting they pull this off. Then we get 2 years of Curiosity roaming and studying Mars and it's geology. Too freakin' awesome. :)

#3 Posted by Sign (291 posts) -

I am watching the live stream now. I know there won't be a whole lot to it other than Mission Control shots but goddamn this stuff is exciting to me. They say there is about a 33% chance of success.

#4 Posted by TurboMan (7406 posts) -
#5 Posted by Kscorps (55 posts) -

eyes.nasa.gov

I've had this app open for a few hours now, going to have this running with the TV feed later tonight!

#6 Edited by Sign (291 posts) -
#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well now i am. i'm downloading arm2 it's been downloading all day so when it's done i'll watch it.

#8 Posted by lightsoda (540 posts) -

Just woke up and tuned in. Morning all :)

#9 Posted by lightsoda (540 posts) -

@Kscorps said:

eyes.nasa.gov

I've had this app open for a few hours now, going to have this running with the TV feed later tonight!

Cool, live simulation.

#10 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -
#11 Posted by Sign (291 posts) -

I wonder what the tension level is like at Mission Control

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

The Martians will be none too pleased with that. I'll end this by saying their planet's moniker is but a happy coincidence.

#13 Posted by natetodamax (19176 posts) -

Yep!

#14 Edited by Jrad (621 posts) -

Might want to add this to the first post -- NASA's Eyes on the Solar System has a realtime visualization of the progress. http://eyes.nasa.gov/

#15 Posted by TruthTellah (8551 posts) -

You're darn right I am. It's quite exciting! :)

#16 Edited by Sign (291 posts) -

I hope they release the viewer statistics. I would love to see how many people across the world watched this.

Flipped back the the Eyes on Solar System app, jesus christ that thing is still accelerating, 10580 mph and climbing

#17 Posted by Isaiah (172 posts) -

Yep NASA stream seems laggy

#18 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

I wasn't watching it until I stumbled upon this thread. I don't really have anything else to do at the moment so I suppose I'll see it through! Here's to hoping it doesn't end terribly.

#19 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I guess it's no Apollo but I'm still pretty excited to watch some space work getting done.

@Sign said:

I hope they release the viewer statistics. I would love to see how many people across the world watched this.

It says on the UStream, 1188 currently watching 15872 total.

#20 Posted by jakob187 (21644 posts) -

Indeed I am. I want to see the surface of Mars, dammit...or I want to see a $2.5 billion experiment burst in an explosion.

#21 Edited by NTM (7269 posts) -

Yes, I was waiting for this. I thought it was on tomorrow dammit. Thanks!

#22 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

The mohawk guy is the best.

#23 Posted by MrRedwine (429 posts) -

I am seriously considering waking my 2 year old up to watch this...

#24 Posted by Strife777 (1503 posts) -

Oh yes I am. This is a pretty important step for humanity, everybody should be watching.

Also, Mohawk Guy is awesome, he stands out a bit from the rest for some reason.

#25 Posted by lightsoda (540 posts) -
#26 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

10 more mins till touchdown! Playing Mass Effect while watching, haha.

#27 Posted by Nev (540 posts) -

Very exciting.

#28 Posted by rachelepithet (1349 posts) -

Ugh, science is too depressing. Maybe someday the archaic beliefs and values of the intellectual community will catch up with the rest of society. For now, geeks line up pretty analogous with imbicle lottery-ticket-religious jocks in terms of how they feel about women, gays, the poor, the elderly, the handicapped, child abuse, gun control, etc. It's the same reason it's nearly impossible to talk about video games online, or to follow the industry. Makes me wonder if there's a math/science equivalent to Giantbomb (a small, ego free, exploitation free community that genuinely cares about games rather than arguing about them... without PSP licking, without Top Ten Gamer Girlz We'd Like to See in Playboy lists, without forum members sending death threats to and posting social security numbers of other forum members who disagreed with them.) Yes, someone find me a website, a website about math and science, that isn't merely a bunch of basement dwelling "jailbait-trading" sociopaths that claim if NASA were run by Goldman Sachs, and all the astronaut jobs were outsourced to east Asian child labor camps, we'd be decades advanced in scientific knowledge! A math and science website were people don't talk about hitler's "good ideas" or how terrible it is how much money taxpayers spend on assistance for the disabled (like NASA, we don't really spend jack shit on helping the poor, sick, and retarded, compared to war) and how science has proven we need to practice eugenics and get rid of these filthy handout-seeking autistic bastards. A math and science website that allows women, and laughs at the preposterousness of even having to consider that a choice. A math and science website that allows people of all races, not just a few token extremely anglicized Koreans and Jews that only care about intellectual subjects as a contest to prove themselves to their strict fathers or to afford Botox for their wives.

#29 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I like the old hippie two seats to the left of the mohawk guy.

#30 Posted by lightsoda (540 posts) -

Holy, 180k viewers.

#31 Edited by Hadoken101 (723 posts) -
#32 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Woooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

#33 Edited by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

THUMBNAILS, FUCK YEAHH

BLURRY GREY CIRCLE, AND A FUCKING WHEEL AHH SHIT YES. FUCK.

#34 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

And we made it!

#35 Posted by Zacagawea (1582 posts) -

THUMBNAILS.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

Wait, I forgot: what's especially remarkable about this? Haven't there been Mars landings like this before? Is it in degree and not in type?

#37 Posted by Giantstalker (1533 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: This vehicle is supposedly much bigger than older ones, about a ton in weight and able to operate for over a decade

#38 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, I forgot: what's especially remarkable about this? Haven't there been Mars landings like this before? Is it in degree and not in type?

This one has thumbnails of blurry grey circles and a barley visible wheel.

#39 Edited by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Touchdown confirmed.

So much hugging. Dudes crying. Clapping.

#40 Posted by Muerthoz (347 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I think because the previous rovers have been smaller than this one. This one is about the size of a Mini Cooper from what I hear.

#41 Posted by Strife777 (1503 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: The rover is much much bigger, about as big as an SUV. It's basically a rolling laboratory, so data is going to be much better.

Great job NASA. I'm pretty proud to have witnessed this, in whatever way.

#42 Posted by pweidman (2299 posts) -

Fuck yeah!!!

It's a car sized rover King, with a much larger range and lifetime, and a far larger research agenda. I wonder how far it'll be able to climb up that mountain it landed by.

#43 Posted by ashogo (943 posts) -

It's total mayhem in there/

#44 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

WOOHOO!!!

#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (36047 posts) -

@Muerthoz said:

@Video_Game_King: I think because the previous rovers have been smaller than this one. This one is about the size of a Mini Cooper from what I hear.

@Strife777 said:

@Video_Game_King: The rover is much much bigger, about as big as an SUV. It's basically a rolling laboratory, so data is going to be much better.

Great job NASA. I'm pretty proud to have witnessed this, in whatever way.

It better have played "America Fuck Yeah" when it landed if it's the size of an SUV.

#46 Posted by Daveyo520 (6653 posts) -

I was indeed.

#47 Posted by selbie (1844 posts) -

FUCK YEAH NASA GUY!!

#48 Posted by Muerthoz (347 posts) -

It's been a long road, gettin' from there to here...

#49 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Science, Bitches

#50 Posted by NathHaw (2760 posts) -

So glad I could make it happen.