• 165 results
#101 Posted by meaninoflife42 (497 posts) -

I stayed up all night like an idiot and marathon-ed the entire season and I actually quite liked it. It does take a few episodes to get into the new style of the show but once you get past it, you'll enjoy it.

Also, MST3K returns to the small screen for about 10 seconds.

#102 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

This show wasn't that great when it was cancelled, I don't get what's so exciting.

It was cancelled because people didn't watch it. People didn't watch it because it wasn't funny. The following it has gathered on the internet always baffled me.

#103 Posted by 49th (2688 posts) -

I've just watched the first episode so far and thought it was pretty good. I've never found this show that hilarious but it is certainly entertaining and I thought it was on par with many of the older episodes.

#104 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

I don't expect it to live up the original run, but that's ok with me.

#105 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

The "And Jeremy Piven" joke is the best thing that has ever appeared on a television show.

#106 Edited by damswedon (3174 posts) -

I gave up on episode 9. The funniest thing to happen in the whole series is that the actor who plays Chas Dingle's son in Emmerdale is the guy on the British Gay magazine's cover.

#107 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1590 posts) -

Watched 7 of the new episodes, and I'm really disappointed so far. The references and subtle background jokes are great, and I love the interlocking story concept, but... I just don't think the writing is there. I'm as big an AD fan as there ever was, but I'm real sad today.

#108 Posted by mracoon (4952 posts) -

The season has quite a slow start which is shame because I thought the back half has some really hilarious episodes.

Moderator Online
#110 Edited by ICantBeStopped (357 posts) -

@icantbestopped said:

This show wasn't that great when it was cancelled, I don't get what's so exciting.

It was cancelled because people didn't watch it. People didn't watch it because it wasn't funny. The following it has gathered on the internet always baffled me.

At least someone's not crazy.

#111 Edited by Chop (1994 posts) -

@mracoon said:

The season has quite a slow start which is shame because I thought the back half has some really hilarious episodes.

Mmmhmm this. The first four episodes are easily the weakest and unfortunately, I can see them putting people off. Especially the Lindsay one.

#112 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3735 posts) -

The internet is always so negative. I don't know if people expected this show to pick up right where it left off and feel exactly the same, but that's impossible, especially given the audience's different perspective of the show now.

Taken on its own, and viewed more as a "where are they now" kind of thing instead of a straight up fourth season, I think this is great so far, and each episode is better than the last. I like the new season a lot, and in the long run, I think history will agree with me. It's just heightened expectations and shock that are souring things at the moment, I think. The mood will likely swing more positive in the coming weeks/months.

Also, damn, the last 7 years have been rough on Steve Holt.

PS Where did this guy come from?

First he was in that shitty Three Stooges movie as Moe, then he came and helped ruin the last season of The Office, then he took part in the worst plotline in the new Arrested Development season. How does he keep getting these big terrible roles? Is he famous from something? Is he GOOD in anything?

#113 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1590 posts) -

Also, damn, the last 7 years have been rough on Steve Holt.

Dude, yeah, what was that about? I thought that may have been part of the joke with Gob not recognizing him and all, but I'm not sure.

#114 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3735 posts) -

@spunkyhepanda: No, I've seen pics of him recently. I just Googled him to find out if it was a joke. They MIGHT have gave him a receding hairline, but the rest is all real.

#115 Edited by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

Its really weird that seth rogan is george sr but young like it totally made me go "wtf" but other than that really enjoying it so far. I'm on episode 3 or 4 so far.

#116 Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

I really really really enjoyed it. I rewatched all the season to prep. Then had a few friends over to watch them all. I think they used a lot of the same footage over and over but that is only a small problem. I loved how it all came together. The first GOB episode was amazing. Really impressed and I want to go back and see what I missed.

#117 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11468 posts) -

It took a bit to get up to speed, but I started enjoying it a lot more past the first 3 or 4 episodes. Past that point it's gotten a lot better. Gob's first episode is... magical. Illusionary, even.

#118 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

There are way too many damn cameos in this. 8 episodes in and it's extremely distracting.

#119 Posted by ripelivejam (3525 posts) -

@manmadegod said:
@icantbestopped said:

At least someone's not crazy.

outside looking in i'm afraid.

#120 Posted by Hunter5024 (5536 posts) -

A couple of months ago I watched the whole series again for the first time since it aired, and I just marathoned the whole new season, and honestly it feels kind of like it fits right in. It may not be as laugh out loud funny as some of the earlier episodes were, but I think maybe that has more to do with modern tv expectations rather than a decline in quality. I liked it better than season 3 at least. Also the ending was excellent, I'm curious to see what the future holds.

#121 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I just started watching AD a few days ago to see what all the excitement was over. It's justified, this shit is amazing.

#122 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@rentfn said:

I really really really enjoyed it. I rewatched all the season to prep. Then had a few friends over to watch them all. I think they used a lot of the same footage over and over but that is only a small problem. I loved how it all came together. The first GOB episode was amazing. Really impressed and I want to go back and see what I missed.

That first Gob episode is so bleak at times. Especially when he has that "Should -sh-sh" breakdown. It's really great, but also really weird.

I'll admit that its not as good as the old ones, but it's stll funnier than almost anything else. David Cross is still amazing as Tobias

#123 Edited by Irvandus (2817 posts) -

The first couple of episodes are super rough. I also don't think the new format of the show is that great. It's still enjoyable but disappointing at the same time. It's just not as funny without the whole ensemble.

#124 Edited by SlashDance (1803 posts) -

Holy shit Lindsay, what happened to your face ???

#125 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

Only watched the first episode so far and I enjoyed it felt like a re-introduction but still good. Might go back and watch the first 3 seasons then come back as I marathoned the first three seasons last year in around a week. I'm not sure about the character per episode format I loved the concept when I heard about it but in practice I don't know, it seems more disjointed rather than interconnected but hopefully it will come into it's own in the later episodes

This leads to a question I have. Now I'm probably being an idiot but are you meant to watch all the episodes in order normally so Michael 1 then George Sr 1 then Lucille 1 etc or do you watch all Michael, all GOB etc. It's just I felt i was missing something when I was halfway through episode 2 in a new story leaving the old one cold or is the list of episodes I'm going off in the wrong order?

#126 Posted by Vrikk (886 posts) -

Tobias has gained a lot of weight. Steve Holt attacked a buffet. And Lindsay looked like she drowned... but other than that the show is great. It definitely takes a few episodes to lay all of the ground work, so don't give up on it. Once it starts looping back in on itself it gets hilarious.

And honestly people, if you didn't like the show the first time it was on why are you in this thread? You aren't going to like it this time, especially because it's a different format and cannot just start like a new season.

#127 Edited by theguy (796 posts) -

Watched the first two episodes so far. Boring and not funny. Dissapointed :(

#128 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Just got done with the 3rd episode and my god the show is just boring to watch.

#129 Edited by Jaqen_HGhar (864 posts) -

Had only planned to see a few of the episodes yesterday, saw them all... I also just recently saw the show for the first time, so I only had two weeks to wait between Series 3 and Series 4.

Here is my quick impression (might contain spoilers):
A few weak episodes, but all in all really fun.
Gob's arc is bleak as hell, yet really funny (sound... of silence....).
Love the "young Lucille and George Sr.", they really nailed it.
Maeby is the best of the gang. All that swearing...
Lindsay... if I din't know it was her I would think they replaced the actor. Sorry, but it really bugged me, and made me not enjoy her episodes as much.
A few of the gags are so great that it took me a few seconds before I broke out into laughter. Like the brilliant variation of "her?". You'll know which I am talking about.

So yeah, I liked it. The structure make you think you know what is happening to someone, then when you follow them later you realize you actually knew nothing. Which was pretty funny in George-Micheal's arc.

#130 Edited by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

I don't know what people are talking about "the first few episodes are slow." The first episode was one of the my favorites of the season.

And the people saying shit like "why are people excited about Arrested Development?" are just beyond fucking saving.

#131 Edited by Daneian (1207 posts) -

I'm halfway into my second viewing. I was really put off at first because the criss crossing of characters plotlines was really obvious at the expense of it feeling organic and the references to old jokes is as subtle as a sledgehammer but by the end the developing narrative pays off more and I'm enjoying those early episodes too.

I completely understand people disappointment but i'm on board now. The lack of a the Lucille 2 resolution is bizarre but supposedly that's a mystery we can puzzle out if we investigate.

#132 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11468 posts) -

Finished it last night, and it ends a bit abruptly. I assume they're doing that movie or another season or something? The character focused nature of the episodes lead themselves to a bit of incoherency, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Also, I think this was the straw that broke the camel's back on Michael Cera for me, in that I can no longer appreciate him ironically and just sort of think he's a poor actor incapable of playing anything other than himself.

#133 Edited by Butano (1728 posts) -

@andorski said:

There are way too many damn cameos in this. 8 episodes in and it's extremely distracting.

I agree. I'm only 4 episodes in, and it seems like Netflix spent most of it's money getting all these cameos rather than getting decent writers for the show. I mean, I understand that the setting is happening in Hollywood and all, but jeebus....always nice to see Isla Fisher though.

#134 Posted by jsnyder82 (726 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: You didn't see that pretty much with every movie after Superbad? I can't fucking stand him. Such a terrible actor among the sea of talent that is the Arrested Development cast.

#135 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1590 posts) -

Okay, after watching the whole season, I'm not as disappointed as I was halfway through. I actually think it's pretty brilliant in its own way. I just didn't think enough of it was funny, and that's a pretty big bummer. I hope they get to do more. I'd like to see what they can do with the movie

#136 Edited by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

I'm on the second to last episode and am loving it and am sad it's almost over. I'm so glad this show is back! And I'm loving the cameos.

#137 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11468 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: You didn't see that pretty much with every movie after Superbad? I can't fucking stand him. Such a terrible actor among the sea of talent that is the Arrested Development cast.

To be fair, I never watched Scott Pilgrim so I imagine my Michael Cera tolerance lasted far longer than most people.

#138 Posted by jsnyder82 (726 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Yeah, a lot of people love that movie for some reason. But I have a hard time enjoying a movie when the main character has absolutely no personality.

#139 Posted by Hunter5024 (5536 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

Finished it last night, and it ends a bit abruptly. I assume they're doing that movie or another season or something?

This part kind of bugs me. The abrupt ending was pretty hilarious, but it also feels like a cliff hanger. I have more questions now than I did at the end of the 3rd season.

#140 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@vrikk said:

Tobias has gained a lot of weight. Steve Holt attacked a buffet. And Lindsay looked like she drowned... but other than that the show is great. It definitely takes a few episodes to lay all of the ground work, so don't give up on it. Once it starts looping back in on itself it gets hilarious.

I'm not entirely sure that Steve Holt isn't wearing make-up. He's almost definitely wearing a wig because he has the same weird hairline that Lindsay has at the start. His gut also looks more like padding. Remember that an element of his initial reveal is that Gob doesn't recognize him, and that isn't all roofie induced. Also, he was kind of chubby to begin with

I can't figure out the Lindsay face. The weird wig hairline certainly isn't helping, but it looks like she had a bad eye job. I just can't imagine that plucking her eyebrows differently would have that much of an effect on her appearance

#141 Edited by spraynardtatum (2597 posts) -

I loooove this new season. It's freaking edgy! Netflix was the right call.

"There's a racoon out on the porch"

"Bullshit!"

#142 Edited by Irvandus (2817 posts) -

The last episode is pretty great. It's a slow build but the last third of the season is quite amazing.

#143 Posted by poopmcgeegee (1 posts) -

they better not screw this up.

#144 Edited by spraynardtatum (2597 posts) -

they better not screw this up.

They really didn't. It's solid.

#145 Edited by Samael2138 (231 posts) -

Much like the original seasons, the more you watch and observe, the more you get out of it.

I've probably watched the first three seasons 7-8 times, and I am still finding little gags and inside jokes. Keep in mind that we have had years to re-watch and find all of these things.

This new season is no different. I watched the first half right after they released, then restarted it because I was watching with someone else yesterday. I found so many little things that made me crack up in the in the first episode that I was completely oblivious to initially.

This new season is only a couple days old. Watch it, re-watch it, and absorb it.

When you're done the first time, just give it A NU START.

#146 Edited by Milkman (16515 posts) -

I just finished it and overall, I really enjoyed it. I think it starts a little slow but definitely picks up around the midway point. I had pretty low expectations but they did the series justice.

#147 Edited by Nicked (246 posts) -

I really liked it. It did feel uncannily different from the original seasons, like you could tell they did a lot of ADR and used doubles for shot/reverse-shot conversations, and I also thought it was harder to sympathize with the characters (read: Michael), but all around I thought it was very good.

One other kind of weird thing was all the shots with camera crew in them. I wasn't sure if they were going somewhere with that gag or if it was just there to break the 4th wall.

The writing and editing are still really best in class, the editing especially. You've got tons of flashbacks and point of view shifts that all work together miraculously. Even movies (where you've got more post-production time than normal TV to edit) are not edited with this much finesse. The editing's really superb and editors (like a lot of film/TV crew roles) are under-appreciated so I just want to point out how fantastic a job they did.

#148 Posted by Aegon (5394 posts) -

They're gonna have a major Mongolian beef with us.

#149 Edited by InsaneGenis (95 posts) -

@slashdance: I think she looks good now. I kept wondering what the deal was. "Why does she look good, but somehow totally different."

Thought about it for a bit and I'm going Botox. She's used Botox to fill in places that Hollywood makes you paranoid about. She still looks good, but it looks likes she's been self concious "fixing" things she believes are wrong.

#150 Edited by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

You can really tell when they dub in lines for times people are not actually in tyhe same place as the person they are talking to.