#1 Posted by believer258 (11906 posts) -

...or, rather, he was arrested for trying to hire somebody to murder his estranged wife.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/as-i-lay-dying-singer-arrested-in-murder-for-hire-plot-20130508

And here's a Google search if you want more sources.

And here's the article quoted:

Tim Lambesis, singer for the heavy metal band As I Lay Dying, was arrested yesterday near San Diego on charges that he tried to hire an undercover detective to kill his estranged wife. San Diego County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell said the police learned late last week that Lambesis was seeking someone to carry out the murder. "We acted quickly on it," Caldwell said, as reported by Reuters. "I believe that we averted a great tragedy."

Meggan Lambesis had sought a dissolution of marriage in San Diego Superior Court last September. Caldwell was thin on details, saying the ongoing investigation prevented her from shedding light on why Lambesis wanted his wife dead or how police initially learned of the plan.

Although As I Lay Dying have been described as a Christian band, the musicians have downplayed the tag. "Five or so years ago when magazines would try and press that point we decided to stay silent on the spiritual topic so that they would have to pay attention to our music and nothing more. We didn't preach at our shows, our goal has always been to just write the best music we can write," Lambesis told Noisecreep in January. "Religion has some influence on the things that we write about just like all of our life experiences do but as a band, we want to be judged on the music rather than what our personal beliefs are."

The metalcore group released their latest album, Awakened, last September.

This came out of nowhere. I listened to these fellows through most of high school and I still listen to them occasionally to this very day. Just the idea that someone who was part of the music that I once greatly enjoyed wanted to kill his wife is really shocking, and it will forever color my memories of their music, if I ever do listen to their music again.

#2 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Holy shit, that's fucked up. I've never been a fan of their music and this makes me not want to listen to it at all. It could also further damages the reputation of metal music, as if it needed more people attacking it. Glad they caught the idiot, though.

#3 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

That's pretty rough.

One thing though; why would you try to hire a PUBLIC INVESTIGATOR to murder your wife? I'm pretty sure their job does not extend to murder.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@animasta said:

That's pretty rough.

One thing though; why would you try to hire a PUBLIC INVESTIGATOR to murder your wife? I'm pretty sure their job does not extend to murder.

Well I would guess he didn't know the guy was a public investigator.

#5 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

They never really stood out musically to me. I just lumped them into the malcore category for a while, until I started listening to their side-project Austrian Death Machine(which is really great.)

The whole ordeal is really fucked up.

Off topic: Never knew they were a Christian band though.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11906 posts) -

That's really fucked up.

The way they often put it was that all of the members were (supposedly) Christian, but they didn't want the label "Christian" applied to the band as a whole.

I guess if the allegations turn out to be true, then the singer at least wasn't a particularly faithful Christian. Or a hypocrite. Well, he was a hypocrite either way, but doubly so if he still claims to be faithful if this is proven.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14829 posts) -

Well thats pretty scummy.

#8 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Shouldn't this "up" their metal cred?

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24785 posts) -

@animasta said:

That's pretty rough.

Undercover sting, plain and simple.

#10 Edited by Poppduder (460 posts) -

My brother, who works at a recording studio, hangs out with a lot of guys from metal bands. Ones of these guys he hangs out with was telling me that a guy from a metal band I cant remember the name of solicited a mother of a two year old to let him have sex with ... her two year old. Really though, people are fucked up regardless of what they're involved in musically or otherwise.

#11 Posted by mlarrabee (2955 posts) -

What is up with celebrities lately?! They used to just wear tacky clothing and occasionally make sex tapes. Now suddenly they're getting nasty.

@ahaisthisourchance said:

That's really fucked up.

The way they often put it was that all of the members were (supposedly) Christian, but they didn't want the label "Christian" applied to the band as a whole.

I guess if the allegations turn out to be true, then the singer at least wasn't a particularly faithful Christian. Or a hypocrite. Well, he was a hypocrite either way, but doubly so if he still claims to be faithful if this is proven.

Here's a bit from his Wiki page:

Lambesis stated on his Tumblr page, "Every year that I had put toward my degree in Religious Studies caused me to see the god of tradition and ritual that I grew up with as less and less of a probable truth. By the time I graduated, my entire concept of the divine had changed as I sought to reconcile spirituality and reason. The more I sought truth uncorrupted by years of religious history, the more I kept finding answers I didn’t want to find. Emotionally, it would have been easiest for me to just hold on to what I grew up believing, but mentally that wasn’t an option anymore."

#12 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5039 posts) -

Death Metal

#13 Edited by Egg0 (169 posts) -

Never liked this band, but this dude was the creator of Austrian Death Machine, a tribute band to Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. Which was pretty good. Oh well. Good thing they got the guy.

#14 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5495 posts) -

That's Heavy Metal.

#15 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

His wife was gonna be the one lay dying *zing*

#16 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

What is up with celebrities lately?! They used to just wear tacky clothing and occasionally make sex tapes. Now suddenly they're getting nasty.

those kids and their crazy music

#17 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3150 posts) -

I think there has to be a lot more to this than what we know now.

#18 Posted by Strife777 (1579 posts) -

I guess those wonderful christian values don't always come in handy in relation to NOT WANTING PEOPLE DEAD!

Never really been a fan of the band.

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

If he actually did try to arrange her murder, not much else matters anymore.

#20 Edited by DukesT3 (1917 posts) -

Holy fucking shit... I actually really love this band.. that's fucked up..

Fuck.

#21 Posted by Ghostiet (5272 posts) -

@apparatus_unearth said:

If he actually did try to arrange her murder, not much else matters anymore.

More like nothing else matters, right?