At what age did you move out of your parents' home?

• 78 results
erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll At what age did you move out of your parents' home? (360 votes)

<16 2%
17 6%
18 18%
19 9%
20 8%
21 8%
22 11%
23 7%
24 6%
>25 16%
9%

I'm kind of at a crossroads and I'd like to know when you people moved out to get some discussion going. If you haven't moved out yet, ignore the poll.

• 
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By JZ

I just yesterday turned 27 and never moved out. they put my name on the deed so I technically own the house too.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By FengShuiGod

Moved out when I was 17, moved back in at 21 to help my Dad shut down his business after a back injury rendered him unable to perform the kinds of physical work his job demanded, and I will be moving back across the country in a few months after my Mom graduates nursing school in December and gets a job. So 17 and 22...?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@tireyo said:
@believer258 said:

@artelinarose said:

@believer258: l stayed with that friend and her parents for a year and a half before I managed to get back to Washington. It was one of the worst periods of my life. I hated every single day I was there. Her parents are horrible people and I had to deal with them verbally abusing her and taking advantage of her every single day because I had nowhere to go. She lives up here with me now.

Sounds like things are going better for both of you. Maybe not great, but better.

@falserelic said:

I'm currently living with my mom and her boyfriend. At the moment I'm trying to get my life together, and trying to resolve a stupid decision I made when I was a teen. At times I feel like I don't know what to do with my life, and I have my share of regrets. I get stressed alot and I usually workout to relieve it, but I also went back to smoking again to clear my mind.

At this point I don't care if I live or die. There's nothing in my life I feel proud about.

I definitely understand this feeling. I look back and I'm like "OK, what have I done that's noteworthy"? And the answer is "pretty much nothing." And it sometimes depresses me so much, especially considering that it isn't only me but my family's once-constant praise that I'm failing to live up to.

You've gotta care about seeing tomorrow, though. There's gotta be someone, somewhere who wants to see you make it through, and that's what makes getting through every day worth it. Pride doesn't really have anything to do with it.

You don't have to live up to nothing, so therefore you aren't failing. Don't ever think you're obligated. What matters is how you think of yourself rather than what others think of you, whether it be family or friends. Once you can tell the difference, then perhaps you won't be as depressed sometimes.

Word. Fuck societies expectations do whatever makes you fucking happy. I'm 29 and I still live at home ATM I know a lot of people would think that is infinitely sad but here is the thing I help out and pay bills I'm not a bum. I could probably move out but I'd have to find roommates and Im entirely picky about who I live with and since all my friends are already married my options are limited. So, why not continue to live with family instead of moving out because society thinks that is what I should do and be miserable with roommates I'll almost assuredly hate.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

18 of course. School, Army(traveled around the globe a few times), then became a Systems Engineer.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I haven't really lived with my parents since I was 18 (or 15, if counting boarding school), but I don't think I've really moved out because I'm still not paying 100% of my bills and everything. I'm lucky enough to not have much responsibilities living out of my parents', and it made the transition relatively easy for me.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

20. Didn't need to move as my first two years of college were in my home town (10 minute drive). When I did move out, however, it was to the US, so that was a big step.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

17, if you count me going to another city (1.5 hours away) for university. But I wouldn't count that.

I'm 28 now, not married, still living with my parents. I'm ethnically Chinese, and as far as I know, it is very unusual for a Chinese person to leave home before they get married. Especially a girl.

... but my parents are starting to drive me nuts, and I have no intention of getting married, so I am itching to leave soon...

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 24 and still living at home. I've been working a terrible job since the age of 18 and just finished college last year but I have no chance of being able to move out any time soon. I have so few hours (can't get more) that I can't even afford to start paying my student loans and I can't seem to find a new job either.

I would love to be able to move out but my life has been a mess for the past few years so I need to figure out how to sort that all first.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't yet, not enough money. Then again, the whole moving out when you are 18 is more of an american thing. In a lot of countries, if you ain't married or have enough money, moving out on your own isn't the best idea.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, what a really diverse split.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I'm 26. My parents had a new house built two years ago that included a full apartment in the basement for my girlfriend and I. I pay them pretty decent rent but for the money it's better than anything else I'd find, living in New Jersey can be stupid expensive. I'll probably be here another two years or so before looking for a house.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Moved out when I was 22. Moved back at 27. Which is now. My defense is that I've return to school but... adult men can't really get away with that one.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By onyxghost

Joined the military and went to the coast. I had a great time.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

18 and out!

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By leinad44

I moved out to go to university when I was 21, however during my final year, my Mum died and my Dad got diagnosed with Alzeimers. So I felt that I had to move back to look after him. I'm 25 now, still living in my parents house, I dont know if that going to uni counts or not :S.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Where's the "never" option?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought my first house at 23, after finishing college and finding a decent job. Lost it at 28, after losing said job, and had to move back in with my parents for two years. Retrained for a different career, succeeded in said career, bought new house. Sold that house after two years, and moved into a better one. I'm probably done moving for a while.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Wow, what a really diverse split.

It is, but the 3 leading options make sense. There are the people that move out when they turn 18 and/or graduate high school, the people that move out after finishing (a 4 year undergrad program at) college, and there are the people in various situations where there aren't sufficient reasons/means to move out immediately.

Personally, I moved out just a hair over 25 (within about 2 weeks), in part because I have been working for/with my parents who work out of a home office. So for a few years, I had the super easy commute consisting entirely of "walk down the stairs"

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was 19 and felt bad that I was that late to get out on my own.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Snail

Even though I wasn't going to college, I moved out to a student residence a few months after I turned 19. A few months later I left the country.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ajamafalous

17. College.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#72  Edited By Superkenon

25 and haven't moved out. I've got a full-time job that keeps me busy 6 days a week, but it wouldn't be enough to live comfortably on. Living at home, however, I'm accruing money, and can help the family.

And that's kinda the main thing. I get along really well with my parents and siblings, and living at home makes it easy to spend time with them and help out. Alone, I'd really only be able to worry about myself, and I'd probably barely see 'em. And that'd be a bummer.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#73  Edited By Tireyo

@believer258 said:

@tireyo: Yeah, but I have some expectations for myself too that sometimes feel out of my reach.

Having expectations for yourself is fine. Just know that it takes time and effort for certain things to work out, no matter how out of reach it is or may be. The real true failure is when you give up, so it's the matter of trying again.

I haven't been employed for quite some time now after I graduated college. I've set a certain expectation for myself to find a job locally. I was offered two interviews for jobs, but one required me to move to another state, and another was to a close by city that is an hour away. It really devastated me that I turned down the one that was offered to me in the city. Thing is, most people think that what I've done about that was a mistake. I, however, know that it wasn't a mistake. For one thing, I do take care of my mom and I need to be close by to get to her quickly... because there is no one else here that would really know what to do with her till I come around. No one will ever understand the relationship that my mother and I have, because I will never leave her knowing that she is sick, disabled, and that there is no one that would take care of her like I do. No matter what anyone thinks, I'll take care of her till it's her or even my time to go. It's just the way it is no matter what anybody says. One has even told me, well you should go take that job anyways. If you go, then your mom will shortly follow. That there to me is a load of bullshit. Sure my mom would follow, but again, who would take care of her in that "in between transition time from one place to another" while I work? What makes them so sure that she and I want to go to the city in the first place? She and I hate the city and the city life! This can go on and on, and I do want to cut this short. I don't really want to talk about about it any further because it'll all just wind up in a big circle like it always does.

The point is... I've set an expectation for myself to get a job locally, and I feel that expectation is out of reach no matter what kind of education and lack of experience I possess. The thing is that I will keep trying until I can get what I want, regardless if I'll like the job or not, and regardless of what anybody thinks, because I'm looking out for myself and my mother. My mom has even said that if she were me, she would do the same that I'm doing now. It's normal to feel depressed sometimes, but don't let it consume you. I'm not letting the depression consume me, though I admit that I do go through some spells of depression and pure insanity sometimes. BUT, no matter how out of reach your expectations may be, take baby steps to reach those expectations. If those expectations aren't what YOU really desire, then set a new one... or welcome any change that comes your way. Anything worthwhile is worth fighting for, and that is what I'm doing right now.

Best of luck and wishes to you. If you need someone to listen to you, then you know where to find me because I WILL listen.

RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

19, but it wasn't handled well. I basically had a free ride that I blew by screwing around instead of concentrating on college, which led to me working full time in order to keep my apartment. So, if you do move out, make sure you have a plan. Kinda goes without saying, but doesn't hurt to mention.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

21, still live at home, plan on moving away next summer though. I like living at home, but it's time for me to get out on my own, would make social life a lot easier too since I wouldn't have to depend on transportation home from parties where I study, which is an our away from where I live.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I was off and on living with them through college. At 22 I moved out for two years until I was 25, then moved back in with them for two years before going off to grad school. But, when I moved back, I was paying for most of my own food and paying my own bills.

There is a difference between mooching and paying your own way, even if you do live with your parents. My rule is if you have a job, if you pay your own bills, buy your own food, etc than living with your parents is FINE. I had a girlfriend for a short time that said, "Ugg, you live with your parents?!" But the deal was I WAS independent - paying my own way. She had her own place but DADDY was paying her rent, her bills, and giving her food money.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

18. I joined the military.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#78  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

27 and still living at home, the market for renting an apartment is totally fucked here right now, with people queuing for 7-25 years at to get a legal first hand contract, or shelling out the equivalent of tens of thousands of dollars on black market apartments. I've only been in the waiting list for 5 years, so I expect to have to wait another two years until I have a remote chance of getting a cheap apartment, unless someone finally starts building non-luxury housing around here again. I'd consider moving elsewhere if it was viable, but currently that does not seem like a working option.