• 68 results
#1 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

Now, despite being an atheist, I'm not using this video as some sort of ammunition to belittle religious people. Pray for the Oklahoma tornado victims if you want to, who am I to judge? But I just think it's pretty damn funny how visibly surprised Wolf Blitzer gets when he interviews a survivor of the tornado, saying "I guess you gotta thank the Lord, you gotta thank the Lord right?" expecting her to nod accordingly and voice her thanks to God.

But nope, she just kinda hesitates a bit before saying "....I'm actually an atheist..." Awkward but hilarious all the same. I think that here in the US religion is this thing people are just assumed to believe in, and when someone deviates from that norm, it alienates the religious in ways they just aren't used to be alienated in, and in some ways makes them look...well, weird. I realize that makes me sound like a condescending prick but I only speak from experience. When I went from 15 years of Catholic school and having morning and afternoon prayer to having no prayer whatsoever in college, it made me feel a bit odd to have broken from that routine. Anyways, here's the video.

#2 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I just wasted a minute of my life watching that pointless video. it wasn't awkard or weird or anything. she responded "im actually an athiest" he was like "oh, ok cool" then she was like "yeah but i dont blame anyone for thanking the lord".

seemed calm reasonable and normal. why even make this a youtube clip? why make a thread about it? seems entirely pointless

#3 Posted by Patman99 (1583 posts) -

When I am confronted in a similar, albeit way less devastating situation, and people ask me about the Lord or whoever, I just say that I am thankful. In saying that, she handled the situation very gracefully.

E.g.

"I guess you gotta thank the Lord, right... Do you thank the Lord?"

"I am just thankful that we are this fortunate."

OR

"I am not Christian but I am thankful that we are this fortunate."

#4 Edited by ripelivejam (3946 posts) -

for me it's THANK THE LORDS OF KOBOL

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

I think this video is funny but I also think Wolf handled it like a goddamn champ. He was very respectful of her once he found out. Good on him.

#6 Posted by DarthOrange (3861 posts) -

http://i.imgur.com/aVZgT.gif

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

Im sure r/atheism is all over this one

#8 Edited by BeachThunder (11929 posts) -

That was a really weird title to read, at first I thought we were talking about an atheist tornado...

#9 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I'm pretty sure Wolf wouldn't have made the same assumption if he was interviewing someone surviving a disaster in a more liberal area like the north east or pac NW.

Oklahoma, though? not that unsafe an assumption.

#10 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

I just don't understand what the point of the question was. Who gives a fuck if she thanked the Jeevus, or didn't. It was a dumb question asked by an out of touch dope. The wise thing to do, by a human instead of a robot, would be to just say, "Well thank God you're alive," which would be a vague figure of speech instead of delving deeper into something like that.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this site, and also biased since I absolutely despise CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc. etc. etc., but he comes across as a presumptuous ass that assumes she's religious because she's from Oklahoma.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

Oh wait I forgot wolf blitzer is an idiot

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

@animasta said:

Hahahaha that is the first time I've seen that. Fantastic.

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@animasta said:

His name is WOLF. Come on.

#14 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

She isn't wearing a cowboy hat and overalls, can we be sure she is from Oklahoma?

Probably a crisis actor. Fucking Obama.

#15 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

That was a super clumsy question, but otherwise I don't think that was all that awkward.

@animasta: That's fantastic. Also, I had no idea Andy Richter was a goddamn genius.

#16 Edited by maskedarcstrike (701 posts) -

@animasta: Haha, what happens if you go into negative for Celebrity Jeopardy? Since the money goes to the contestants charity of choice.

edit:I actually just watched that episode and it has one other hilarious moment. I marked the spot.

#17 Posted by probablytuna (3657 posts) -

I thought that was handled very well, wasn't awkward at all. Don't see what the fuss is about.

#18 Posted by LiquidPrince (15946 posts) -

I have no idea who Wolf Blitzer is, so when I read the title I was very confused. I envisioned:

#19 Edited by uniform (1835 posts) -

can we be sure she is from Oklahoma?

Louisiana

#20 Posted by troll93 (388 posts) -

What was more awkward was him trying to high five that baby for what felt like hours. THE BABY CAN'T HI FIVE YOU, IT'S A BABY!

#21 Posted by Brendan (7806 posts) -

I get that the example was partially a platform to share your personal experience, but I don't think you're thread title accurately described that video. Neither person looked bad in any way and Wolf was fine.

#22 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

@troll93 said:

What was more awkward was him trying to high five that baby for what felt like hours. THE BABY CAN'T HI FIVE YOU, IT'S A BABY!

It sure aint no Cool Baby.

#23 Edited by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

I noticed that every government official interviewed about the tornado in Oklahoma thanked the Lord. Hello, where is the separation of church and state? But then NYTimes front page article about the tornado had a tween girl with hands folded in prayer and I understood that everyone is religious as fuck in OK. I probably would be too if I lived in a place where God takes his mile wide tornados for walks twice a day. I wouldnt say "here in America" because there are many places where people are pretty subtle about their spirituality in America.

#24 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

Man, for as much talk I've seen about that video, now that I watch it it doesn't seem awkward at all. He made an assumption, she corrected it, they moved on.

#25 Edited by Sergio (2122 posts) -

Thank the Lord she and her baby were saved. Too bad the Lord sent that tornado.

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9703 posts) -

Thank God for that clip.

#27 Posted by gaminghooligan (1443 posts) -

Thank Thor her child was safe!

#28 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I just wasted a minute of my life watching that pointless video. it wasn't awkard or weird or anything. she responded "im actually an athiest" he was like "oh, ok cool" then she was like "yeah but i dont blame anyone for thanking the lord".

seemed calm reasonable and normal. why even make this a youtube clip? why make a thread about it? seems entirely pointless

Yeah. Honestly I wish more exchanges between believers and non-belivers were like this.

#29 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@sergio said:

Thank the Lord she and her were saved. Too bad the Lord sent that tornado.

I laughed waaaaaay harder at this than I should have.

#30 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

I don't see anything that looks awkward.

#31 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Thank the Lord you're all right, but all those other poor people that died? Must not have been living right.

#32 Posted by gaminghooligan (1443 posts) -

@mcghee said:

Thank the Lord you're all right, but all those other poor people that died? Must not have been living right.

they were sinners... clearly

#33 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I really don't understand why this has been such a news story lately. Sure, it was a tad awkward, but they both handled it reasonably and exited the interview. The question was weird and a bit presumptuous but it wasn't anything offensive, even as a non-theist.

#34 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Lady should have stared Wolf Blitzer in the face for a full thirty seconds before screaming PRAISE BE TO ORCUS, DEFILER OF THE FLESH, LORD OF THE UNDEAD, NEMESIS OF DEMOGORGON, FOR ONLY HE MAY WIELD DOMINION OVER THE CORRUPT! while throwing fistfuls of d8s at him. That's a youtube video that I would have watched.

#35 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@rebgav: I like the way you think. haha

#36 Edited by Slaegar (709 posts) -

Perhaps he meant the House of Lords, Upper House of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. I don't know why he would bring that up after a tornado in Oklahoma, but he is getting pretty old.

#37 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5479 posts) -

What's awkward is the reaction it's gotten.

#38 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

What's actually awkward is the group of people trying to pretend that this is awkward.

#39 Edited by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

Thank Thor her child was safe!

You just gotta thank Thor. Do you thank Thor?

#40 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

That was a really weird title to read, at first I thought we were talking about an atheist tornado...

For the record, the tornado thinks it is all a bunch of superstition.

#41 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3727 posts) -

@subjugation said:

What's actually awkward is the group of people trying to pretend that this is awkward.

Agreed. It reminds me of the time I was at work and I said Merry Christmas to a customer, and then she replied "actually, I'm Jewish." Without hesitation, I simply responded "oh, well happy Hanukkah then!" And then we both moved on with our lives.

Based on the thread title, I actually expected Wolf Blitzer to at least stammer or stutter a bit somewhere in this interview.

Many atheists are really cool people, who just don't see a reason to believe that there is a God. It's a shame that some other atheists apparently feel the need to look down their nose at people who do believe in God, and feel themselves superior to theists, which just gives decent decent atheists like the women in this video a bad name. You fuckers are just as annoying as religious people who look down their nose and feel superior to people who don't believe in God, or people who aren't behaving exactly as they personally feel that people should.

Both of you do a disservice to humanity.

Please note that none of that is directed towards the thread creator, although I still don't personally see why this video was worth posting in the first place.

#42 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@subjugation said:

Agreed. It reminds me of the time I was at work and I said Merry Christmas to a customer, and then she replied "actually, I'm Jewish." Without hesitation, I simply responded "oh, well happy Hanukkah then!" And then we both moved on with our lives.

Based on the thread title, I actually expected Wolf Blitzer to at least stammer or stutter a bit somewhere in this interview.

Some atheists are really cool people, who just don't see a reason to believe that there is a God. It's a shame other atheists feel some need to look down their nose at people who do believe in God, and feel themselves superior to theists, which just gives decent decent atheists like the women in this video a bad name. You fuckers are just as annoying as religious people who look down their nose and feel superior to people who don't believe in God, or people who aren't behaving exactly as they personally feel that people should.

Both of you do a disservice to humanity.

Please note that none of that is directed towards the thread creator, although I still don't personally see why this video was worth posting in the first place.

I think the word you're looking for is "proselyte": a person who tries to force others into "converting" into their way of thinking. It doesn't matter whether it's Christianity, atheism, Judaism, Veganism, Nazism, PS4 fanboyism, etc.

But, honestly, I would as far as saying that most atheists are good people. Saying that just "some" of us are feels as condecending and patronizing as saying that "well, some Christians aren't assholes, you know". Vocal minorities always fuck up everything for everyone else.

#43 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3727 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

But, honestly, I would as far as saying that most atheists are good people. Saying that just "some" of us are feels as condecending and patronizing as saying that "well, some Christians aren't assholes, you know". Vocal minorities always fuck up everything for everyone else.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that most atheists are good people, but I wouldn't say that most theists are good people either, at least not in the respect of not feeling superior to those who they don't agree with. I have no idea how that pie chart would look, and I don't think anyone does.

I didn't mean "some" as in a tiny amount either. I really meant "some" are like this and "some" are like that, but I can see why it could be read as condescending and patronizing. I'll go ahead and edit the word "many" into my post for a clarification.

But no, I didn't mean "proselyte," as I think quite a few people on both sides of the fence ENJOY the feeling of superiority their viewpoint on religion gives them, and they would prefer to be smug and belligerent rather than actively work to change anyone's mind with polite disagreement and discussion.

#44 Edited by casper_ (903 posts) -

has to suck being the only athiest in oklahoma

#45 Edited by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

@casper_ said:

has to suck being the only athiest in oklahoma

That's why this is getting so much play. Wolf managed to find an atheist in OK.

#46 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

What's that thing people say, about stirring up shit when there is none?
Or that one with molehills and mountains?

That's what springs to mind here.

#47 Posted by ripelivejam (3946 posts) -

I have no idea who Wolf Blitzer is, so when I read the title I was very confused. I envisioned:

viral marketing for Dust: An Elysian Tail's Steam release??? :D

#48 Edited by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Woo atheism! Wooooo!

I'm an atheist. All of my close friends except one are Christians/theists. One is actually a pastor. Doesn't bother my ass.

Then again... They are some extremely secular Christians. I think they're only theists in that they belong to theist communities that they identify with, and not necessarily because they believe there is unseen, unmeasurable forces in this world or the Bible is the infallible word of a creator being. They're theists because they were born and raised in a community of theists, and they identify with that community in the same way we might identify with this one. I won't hold that against them. One is a biologist, another an engineer; I don't think "because God did it" is an acceptable solution for either, and I think they all believe in evolution. Don't ask me how they juggle all that and not come out at the same conclusion I did, but that's how it is.

#49 Posted by leebmx (2244 posts) -

Why the fuck would she thank the Lord? He created tornadoes.

#50 Edited by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Also, if anyone is weirded out by my excitement and enthusiasm for atheism, it's not to convert unwilling theists, but to demonstrate that conversion is both possible and life affirming. Plenty of atheists, agnostics, and those unsure are so to speak, in the closet, and perhaps me showing some atheist pride would take a burden off them. Not to fight with theists but to combat any feelings of shame placed upon people who are questioning the faith they were raised in.