• 144 results
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jay444111

The thing people don't realize is that Toonami REALLY popularized anime in the western audience. Hell, without it many studios in Japan may have closed down. There are a higher tier of quality in animation all around and people had to compete with Japan to beat it's best shows. Hell, CN has NEVER gotten ratings like they did with DBZ back then.

Anime in general is better than about 90% of western animation automatically.

This news is going to cause a resergence in anime and it being popular once more. This time. Lets not fail it.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By icytower38

I don't trust the Adult Swim guys enough to get even remotely excited for something like this.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call me if they do something interesting with the show, they wont it will either be a rush job or a fake out.

Actually call me if it is a fake out because I want to see a certain someone in this thread freak the fuck out.

Also call me if they run code lyoko, minus that weird opening theme, that show wasn't half bad.

Er...perhaps just don't call me...

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Coafi

Good news, everyone!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By Animasta

@Jay444111 said:

The thing people don't realize is that Toonami REALLY popularized anime in the western audience. Hell, without it many studios in Japan may have closed down. There are a higher tier of quality in animation all around and people had to compete with Japan to beat it's best shows. Hell, CN has NEVER gotten ratings like they did with DBZ back then.

This news is going to cause a resergence in anime and it being popular once more. This time. Lets not fail it.

rofl are you serious? I don't think you could be any more wrong if you tried.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Jay444111 said:

Stop lying, Jay. I know you're excited about Toonami and all, but that is straight up not true.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By tim_the_corsair

This'll be awesome for the first week, and then the so-called Internet faithful who raged and pissed and moaned will find something else that is incredibly dumb to rage and piss and moan about, and it'll go off the air with about 4 actual viewers.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jay444111

@Cloudenvy:

@Animasta:

What? For real, DBZ was one of if not THE highest rating show they ever had! I am not lying about that!

Also the fact that plenty of shows then were trying to go with a anime/kinda anime look such as any show the PPG Samurai Jack guy did. Nowadays most animation in America is completely flash based and fake looking. Johnny test being the biggest example. At least back then they had to COMPETE with each show but now any slob with a computer can put a cartoon on that channel very easily.

Another fact is that Toonami got a shitton of kids and people into anime. Most people never knew it existed until either they saw Akira/Hayo miyazaki movies or they watched Toonami. There was a drought in anime for a few years there, mainly due to the fact that Toonami and so many other stations were just airing repeats upon repeats without anything new. It was corperate greed/impatient people that had killed Toonami, not anime.

If you want anime to become popular again. I sugguest watching Toonami before another drought happens because of all of you.

Also, Big-O was canceled after the first season. Yet thanks to Toonami and Adult Swim an actual 2nd season was going to be made completely by cartoon network. (which is why they can show it all the time!)

So yes, America really did help out the anime market quite a bit.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Paindamnation

10 really long days. Remember when Toonami was..I dunno Toonami? DBZ and Reboot and Beast Wars, remember that? i do.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Jay444111: You know the part I put in bold? that was the part you were lying about. You know, the "Hell, without it many studios in Japan may have closed down." part.

That is a lie.

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Paindamnation

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Animasta said:

@scarace360 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@scarace360 said:

So what are they showing?

Mediocre and outdated anime they've already aired before, I assume.

So naruto? Man i thought they where gonna show something good like the new Hunter X Hunter or even maybe some Eyeshield 21.

why would they need to show new shit? this thread is literally getting excited over steve blum

Steve blum has been in newer shit. Also i would think when you bring something back that you would modernize your lineup a bit.

no way

they gonna ride this nostalgia train until it crashes

bring back Reboot Beast wars, Good old TV shows and I don't care what else they do.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Animasta

@Jay444111: t'was corporate greed on the anime side more than the CN side really. DBZ is also a shitty anime (as is Naruto) and the good, new stuff is stuff we won't likely get. That listing is full of pretty old shit (the only not old thing is brotherhood and I mean I like FMA but). It's also not going to get the ratings you think it will because it's on late at night.

Also, there's a whole lot of shitty anime! They don't generally bring the real bad stuff over (even naruto and DBZ are better) so saying anime is better than 90% of cartoons is a goddamn lie.

also avatar is better than all anime even though I like anime better usually

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By Justin258

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy:

@Animasta:

What? For real, DBZ was one of if not THE highest rating show they ever had! I am not lying about that!

Also the fact that plenty of shows then were trying to go with a anime/kinda anime look such as any show the PPG Samurai Jack guy did. Nowadays most animation in America is completely flash based and fake looking. Johnny test being the biggest example. At least back then they had to COMPETE with each show but now any slob with a computer can put a cartoon on that channel very easily.

Another fact is that Toonami got a shitton of kids and people into anime. Most people never knew it existed until either they saw Akira/Hayo miyazaki movies or they watched Toonami. There was a drought in anime for a few years there, mainly due to the fact that Toonami and so many other stations were just airing repeats upon repeats without anything new. It was corperate greed/impatient people that had killed Toonami, not anime.

If you want anime to become popular again. I sugguest watching Toonami before another drought happens because of all of you.

Also, Big-O was canceled after the first season. Yet thanks to Toonami and Adult Swim an actual 2nd season was going to be made completely by cartoon network. (which is why they can show it all the time!)

Ever heard of Speed Racer? Pokemon? Akira (not sure if you meant the movie or a name)? Ghost in the Shell? Robotech? Neon Genesis Evangelion? All of those predate Toonami.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jay444111

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy:

@Animasta:

Ever heard of Speed Racer? Pokemon? Akira (not sure if you meant the movie or a name)? Ghost in the Shell? Robotech? Neon Genesis Evangelion? All of those predate Toonami.

Wait... how old is pokemon? Because I remember it being shown next to Toonami quite often. Speed Racer, I knew that one... even though the weirdness and jankiness makes me never want to watch it. Ghost in the shell? Which ones? The movies or the TV shows? Robotech... I am fully honest in saying I never heard of that one... is it any good?

Akria, fuck yeah... my brother had me watch it when I was 5... it scared the shit out of me seeing so much blood in a cartoon! It was fucking AMAZING!

Neon Genesis Evangelion, I have yet to see it but isn't it like... a billion dollar a year thing for Gianax with... somehow, it's own theme park?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Jay444111: Oh, so you're just going to ignore my response? I'm disappointed, Jay!

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jay444111

@Cloudenvy said:

@Jay444111: Oh, so you're just going to ignore my response? I'm disappointed, Jay!

No... it's just I didn't see it until now... I do apologize and I admit that I didn't know any of that and lied on that one part, but I am fully honest in all the other parts.

Sorry...

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Have they said what show's are to accompany this return?

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By intro

Thank you Jesus

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

No... it's just I didn't see it until now... I do apologize and I admit that I didn't know any of that and lied on that one part, but I am fully honest in all the other parts.

Sorry...

Good on you for admitting it! now try to avoid doing that in the future and it's all good.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jay444111

@Intro said:

Thank you Jesus

Don't thank him! Thank humanity for bringing this back once and for all!

HUMANITY FOR THE FUCKING WIN!!! FUCK YEAH!!!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By Justin258

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy:

@Animasta:

Wait... how old is pokemon? Because I remember it being shown next to Toonami quite often. Speed Racer, I knew that one... even though the weirdness and jankiness makes me never want to watch it. Ghost in the shell? Which ones? The movies or the TV shows? Robotech... I am fully honest in saying I never heard of that one... is it any good?

Neon Genesis Evangelion, I have yet to see it but isn't it like... a billion dollar a year thing for Gianax with... somehow, it's own theme park?

The Ghost in the Shell movie came to America in the mid-'90's. The TV show came later. It greatly influenced the Wachowski brothers when they made The Matrix.

Robotech is actually a dubbing of three different anime mecha shows into one story - somehow, a lot of people thought it worked because video games and other such content were made for it. It started in 1985 and a PS2 game was released for it. I'm not sure of the quality.

EDIT: Holy shit. On the subject of Robotech, Tobey Maguire and several other Hollywood figures with credit are working on a live-action Robotech movie. Cool.

Pokemon was brought here in 1998, I believe. Unfortunately, Toonami started in late 1997 so I was partly wrong on this account. "Partly" because Toonami didn't show Pokemon much, that was another channel.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a big deconstrution of the mecha genre, dating back to 1995. I don't think it has its own theme park, but it has quite a fanbase.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By iam3green

i hope that it is going to be good. i hope that it just isn't something like the character but just not everything.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MikeGosot
@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Sorry...

Wait, Jay. That's not how the internet works!
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MikeGosot said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Sorry...

This is a step forward for Jay! we should be happy!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By NegativeCero

I'm ready to be disappointed. I grew up in the 90s, but even I can see that despite loving the shows they played, a lot of it wasn't good.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MikeGosot
@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Sorry...

Jay's cool. Except for that fucking weird pool he made some time ago. But he's cool.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jay444111

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Sorry...

Jay's cool. Except for that fucking weird pool he made some time ago. But he's cool.

Wait... how does one make a weird pool? Is it filled with cosplayers while Jehova's witnesses are entertaining the party? All the while the bizarre foods guys comes out and makes everyone eat scorpion testicles? That is practically the only way I could figure out on how to make such a pool weird.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#78  Edited By Phatmac

I bet 10% of you will actually watch it when it comes back. The internet is notorious for not giving a shit about stuff coming back when it comes back. Mark my words. No one will care about this in about a week.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jay444111

@Phatmac said:

I bet 10% of you will actually watch it when it comes back. The internet is notorious for not giving a shit about stuff coming back when it comes back. Mark my words. No one will care about this in about a week.

Family Guy, Big-O, Futurama, and so many more examples. It is going to be a huge hit at first and it will dwindle down a bit unless it has new programming.

Persona 4 the animation? Gurren Lagann? Panty and Stocking? (that last one is a maybe and I will be SHOCKED if it did get on air.)

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MikeGosot
@Jay444111 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Sorry...

Wait... how does one make a weird pool? Is it filled with cosplayers while Jehova's witnesses are entertaining the party? All the while the bizarre foods guys comes out and makes everyone eat scorpion testicles? That is practically the only way I could figure out on how to make such a pool weird.

That typo was so dumb i'm not even going to edit it. But you know, the poll about the wifefucker dog.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jay444111

@MikeGosot: Is it not funny? Besides I SUGGUESTED it... I didn't outright say it.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Butler

Strike down this false impersonator. You know somehow, the powers that be, will find a way to ruin it. Toonami died and should remain so. This happens in one way or another every single time. Or I'm wrong and I'll rescind my words and we have a new and awesome cultural entity. Or I am right and its status quo.

Also you duders should just check out toonamiaftermath.com which plays old lineups, old commercials, other decent animes and some extra stuff like Daft Punk and Rifftrax on the weekends. It is the closest and best incarnation of "Toonami" that existed since the original was taken off the air.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MikeGosot
@Jay444111: It's only funny in Cards Against Humanity. I guess.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jay444111

@Butler said:

Strike down this false impersonator. You know somehow, the powers that be, will find a way to ruin it. Toonami died and should remain so. This happens in one way or another every single time. Or I'm wrong and I'll rescind my words and we have a new and awesome cultural entity. Or I am right and its status quo.

Also you duders should just check out toonamiaftermath.com which plays old lineups, old commercials, other decent animes and some extra stuff like Daft Punk and Rifftrax on the weekends. It is the closest and best incarnation of "Toonami" that existed since the original was taken off the air.

Beavis and Butthead came back and it was awesome, and it is even older than Toonami ever was. Toonami has a high chance of being great again. Hell, just listen to the fans and it is going to be garenteed to be awesome.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By N7

You guys are welcome. After the extensive campaign I ran here on Giant Bomb, you should have known it was inevitable.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jay444111

@N7 said:

You guys are welcome. After the extensive campaign I ran here on Giant Bomb, you should have known it was inevitable.

Don't forget my own campaign as well! I think we each deserve a toast... to victory and for Toonami for the future of children everywhere, and our own childhoods brought back to us once again!

A toast for a better tomorrow!
A toast for a better tomorrow!

Onwards internet! To a better tomorrow filled with even greater challanges!

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#87  Edited By B0nd07

@N7: @Jay444111: *cough* Twitter */cough* Seriously, there was a near constant campaign on Twitter. However, I do appreciate N7 bringing it to the attention of those that might have otherwise missed it and Jay's... Enthusiasm?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By DriveupLife

A BOY HAS THE RIGHT TO DREAM

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By soldierg654342

I'm having a hard time coming to terms with this brave new world where the internet actually matters.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By N7
@B0nd07: I like to think that everyone at Giant Bomb had a hand. I was merely a conduit for the information to spread.

A big round of applause for Giant Bomb, everyone.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DriveupLife said:

A BOY HAS THE RIGHT TO DREAM

SPACE IS THE PLACE

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By NickL

I hate to burst your bubble but Giant Bomb was probably insignificant compared to the enthusiasm shown by reddit and twitter users...

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93  Edited By JJOR64

@NickL said:

I hate to burst your bubble but Giant Bomb was probably insignificant compared to the enthusiasm shown by reddit and twitter users...

True, but there are fans on here as well.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Sweet?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Animasta

clearly a showing of how powerful misplaced nostalgia can be.

dwgill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By dwgill

That's pretty incredible. Toonami being revived has been a pie in the sky sort of deal for a lot of people basically ever since the block was canceled. Hopefully this will signal a shift of television companies giving even a bit more attention to their fanbases.

As it is, I hope it goes well. I certainly have a lot of fond memories of toonami, but I wouldn't rule out my adolescence influencing a lot of that appreciation. Considering most of their audience has matured considerably since Toonami's heyday, Adult Swim's going to have to meet a much higher standard than the original programming block ever had to.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#97  Edited By aleryn

They should screen Berserk, Devilman, or at least one seinen anime among all the shonen. Fist of the North Star would work too. All well known stuff that has broad appeal.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#98  Edited By shiftymagician

I'll just laugh that after all this, if the ratings for Toonami are low shortly after its re-launch, causing it to go off the air again. If that happens, people should tell their nostalgia to fuck off. Hope it does well this time around though regardless of my scepticism.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#99  Edited By dichemstys

Lots of my friends are way into this, so it's pretty cool. Unless they re-start all their series I won't watch it because I've never been into any of those shows. I'm cool with it as long as they don't take away my Aqua Teens.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I just came buckets. Fucking awesome.