AVG vs Norton

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By breadfan

So I got a new laptop about a month ago and the free trial for Norton has expired.  I have heard that AVG is much better and more reliable, but I get a 50% off discount for Norton for being a college student.   

With that said which program is better?  I have used AVG in the past and I did not notice a huge difference between the two, but I have heard conflicting things whenever I ask someone. 

Any opinions on either program would be appreciated.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Eisen

Both are terrible to be quite honest.  AVG has several false postive alerts.  Norton is a system resource hog.  If I had to choose between the two, i'd just use AVG as there is a free copy.

ESET NOD32 is the best as it uses least amount of resources and best results when tested.  I would suggest Avast over AVG if you want to go the free route.

Stay away from Norton and Mcafee.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mhkjtha

AVG Free is shit it doesn't detect rootkits. But im guessing you where considering buying one.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

I've been using a mix of AVG (for the virus part) and Zone Alarm as a firewall. 
And I've never had any problems with AVG at all.  
Oh well, there was this one point where AVG would not update at all but since the internet was down for an hour, that's kinda why :P

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By breadfan

Yes I am looking for a full version of the two, or any other program that someone can recommend.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

I prefer AVG as I find Norton a little annoying. Damn thing keeps telling to update my database and register for this and that whereas AVG is a lot more subtle. However, Norton, being a major company should mean better protection over AVG. I've been using AVG for a few years and I havn't had any problems so far.

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By aceedkins

If you're gaming, I recommend bitdefender gamesafe. It's pretty cheap, highly rated, and has a "game" button that minimizes CPU usage.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't claim myself to be an expert on these things but I've had a good amount of experience with both of those security packages and I found that AVG used by far the less system resources, but Norton was actually better at defending against viruses.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Br3adfan said:
" Yes I am looking for a full version of the two, or any other program that someone can recommend. "
I have weebroot, I like it
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake

If you're actually planning on buying one then I'd say Bullguard is your best bet. I've had the trial version for a year once and I found it good balance between protection and resource management.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By breadfan
@eroticfishcake said:
" If you're actually planning on buying one then I'd say Bullguard is your best bet. I've had the trial version for a year once and I found it good balance between protection and resource management. "
I just tried downloading the year trial (if I can get a good program for a year, why pay now) and it said it is not supported for Vista.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By breadfan

I was searching CNet and I came across a program called Avast.   

It got great user ratings and it is free.  I guess I'll give that a go before I spend money on a retail program.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Br3adfan: Whoops. I would've thought it worked for Vista. I also failed to mention that I got it with my new PC so that's why I had years trial. Sorry mate! But go with AVG since I've had no problems with it. Or just try Weebroot or BitDefender that some of the other guys mentioned.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

none, get Avast!

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller

AVG I guess.   Norton isn't free.

the_stig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_stig
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" none, get Avast! "

I agree, I have been using it for the past 3 years or so with absolutely no problems.

Norton is the best virus you can put on your computer, in other words never get Norton.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Termite

AVG is fine for most things (although it does have a lot of false positives) but the problem is that, last time I checked, it had a smaller feature set and wasn't as good at detecting some of the really nasty stuff. You'll probably be fine, but there are some viruses that Norton would be able to help deal with that'll stump AVG.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By VisariLoyalist

cough cough get a mac

raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By raegunz_

Between the two, AVG is better. It's a lighter, less intrusive program. Norton eats up tons of memory.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Karmum

Between those two -- AVG. I used AVG for years, but I switched to Avira recently when AVG kept listing iTunes as a virus, and subsequently, could not play any music off of it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Hamst3r
@Br3adfan said:
" So I got a new laptop about a month ago and the free trial for Norton has expired.  I have heard that AVG is much better and more reliable, but I get a 50% off discount for Norton for being a college student.    With that said which program is better?  I have used AVG in the past and I did not notice a huge difference between the two, but I have heard conflicting things whenever I ask someone.  Any opinions on either program would be appreciated. "

Get NOD32. It's better than both of those.