• 170 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#101 Posted by Morningstar (2139 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Morningstar

@MariachiMacabre said:

The only band I can think of would be In Flames. I still love their newest album, Sounds of a Playground Fading, but it's nothing close to the masterpieces they've made previously like Whoracle and The Jester Race. To be fair, it's hard to match two of the greatest albums metal has to offer.

Two of the greatest albums metal has to offer? What? I agree they are pretty damn good, but come on ^^

Yep. They've both appeared on several "Best Metal Albums of All Time" lists.

Have they now? I guess I can see where you are coming from then.

#102 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Disturbed for me. Nothing like pumping out the same song over and over.

#103 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

Weezer is the obvious answer. Also Green Day and probably a slew of other pop punk bands from the 90's. Oh yeah, and Smash Mouth. Fush Yu Mang was a pretty great album.

#104 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Almost every band goes downhill after their first album. If not, definitely after their third haha

#105 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Morningstar

@MariachiMacabre said:

The only band I can think of would be In Flames. I still love their newest album, Sounds of a Playground Fading, but it's nothing close to the masterpieces they've made previously like Whoracle and The Jester Race. To be fair, it's hard to match two of the greatest albums metal has to offer.

Two of the greatest albums metal has to offer? What? I agree they are pretty damn good, but come on ^^

Yep. They've both appeared on several "Best Metal Albums of All Time" lists.

Have they now? I guess I can see where you are coming from then.

Neither of them are remotely close to Lunar Strain imo.

#106 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7049 posts) -
@A_Talking_Donkey

@Morningstar said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Morningstar

@MariachiMacabre said:

The only band I can think of would be In Flames. I still love their newest album, Sounds of a Playground Fading, but it's nothing close to the masterpieces they've made previously like Whoracle and The Jester Race. To be fair, it's hard to match two of the greatest albums metal has to offer.

Two of the greatest albums metal has to offer? What? I agree they are pretty damn good, but come on ^^

Yep. They've both appeared on several "Best Metal Albums of All Time" lists.

Have they now? I guess I can see where you are coming from then.

Neither of them are remotely close to Lunar Strain imo.

I don't know. I think Whoracle is their strongest album but Lunar Strain is fantastic too.
#107 Posted by Pimpsandwich (72 posts) -

@innacces14 said:

("DAY AFTER DAY, NIGHT AFTER NIGHT..." somebody will know what I'm talking about).

Oh I know what you're talking about. Ugh.

Anyway, I never actually thought about that, and I can totally see that making sense. I guess I'll just look forward to seeing what they make next.

#108 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

Dir en Grey.

Everything after SixUgly / Vulgar was pretty terrible, even those albums were love it or hate it.

#109 Edited by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Avenged Sevenfold. I used to really like them, but at some point it became too same-y and they lost something that drew me to them in their first 3 albums. And I don't think its the obvious thing in that Rev died because I felt this way on the last album he was on too. I totally agree with Coheed and Cambria too.

#110 Posted by PSNgamesun (394 posts) -

I have to say Guns N' Roses. I love GnRs original work(Spaghetti Incident was a bunch of cover songs so i don't count that). The reason I say GnR is because like most bands from 2 decades ago they've fallen to no were land. GnR ruled the world for a good 7 years and then BAM!!!! just like that they disbanded and Axl Rose vanished and then came back with a cd 16 years(good rock record btw) in the making; and vanished again and then came back as a lazy singer. It pains me to see GnR in their current status but I will always love that band and will defend them till the end, fuck it lol.

#111 Posted by coribald (310 posts) -

U2 - They abandoned the 90's (which gave us Achtung Baby and Zooropa, their best albums imo), and haven't even come close to recapturing the 80's. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was boring and soul-less, and No Line On The Horizon was a confusing mess. They're done.

Gotta throw in Muse again too. I loved Origin Of Symmetry, Loved Absolution, and that's about where the love stopped. Black Holes had a few good songs but was stylistically ALL OVER THE PLACE.

#112 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I wouldn't say it's all Kevin Moore though. I mean songs like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Disappear, Beyond This Life, and Octavarium exist. They have that mindset to take those dynamic 'vocabularies' and give us a hell of an alphabet soup. I guess it just comes down to them breaking in Manjini with a tour and seeing what happens next. I mean I'll be the first to say that Surrounded from Images & Words sounds like a cheesy tune you would put in a high school educational video, but fuck, do I love how it all comes together for that delayed guitar solo. I want more Surrounded and less attempts at a single dynamic. lol

#113 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

@innacces14 said:

@Brodehouse: I wouldn't say it's all Kevin Moore though. I mean songs like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Disappear, Beyond This Life, and Octavarium exist. They have that mindset to take those dynamic 'vocabularies' and give us a hell of an alphabet soup. I guess it just comes down to them breaking in Manjini with a tour and seeing what happens next. I mean I'll be the first to say that Surrounded from Images & Words sounds like a cheesy tune you would put in a high school educational video, but fuck, do I love how it all comes together for that delayed guitar solo. I want more Surrounded and less attempts at a single dynamic. lol

But there's the thing; A Change of Seasons feels like one song that keeps interpolating and evolving, whereas Six Degrees and Octavarium felt like a medley of explicit songs called one; disparate ideas thrown together (I hold that side one of Six Degrees is awesome and the epic itself is a letdown). Octavarium was what got me all the way out.

And yeah, Surrounded is great. It's got so many good transitions and the song itself varies as you go through it, it progresses, which is what I thought the point of progressive music was. The verses and refrains are different, changing with each return, taking underlying themes and exploring them in different directions, not just simple repetition broken up by the interlude and a series of solos. That's what I was missing.

#114 Posted by CommodoreJenkins (32 posts) -

I was underwhelmed by the last two Firewind albums. They weren't bad by any means, but there wasn't anything truly amazing on either of them. Compare that to Allegiance, where almost EVERYTHING was!

#115 Posted by brophdog (87 posts) -

Not Clutch.

#116 Edited by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

Oh yeah, mandatory in any discussion like this. FUCKING METALLICA!

The undeniably correct choice. In fairness to them 99.9% of bands start slipping as soon as they start making big money. I imagine it's hard to maintain any angst with a Ferrari in the driveway and a 20 year old with big tits in your bed, but Metallica's huge collapse has been sad just the same.

#117 Posted by newfire (27 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

So after listening to newest coheed and cambria album I thought this would be a decent topic to bring up. I mean I absolutely loved coheed and cambria's first 2 albums and even there third one a bit but man have they shit the bed since. After listening to the newest album I feel I am done with this band at this point. Im glad I got to see them live back when they were still putting out creative music but fuck its a shame that this is what they have become. I know this is basically a thread with me raggin on the new coheed but I can think of some other examples. Take Foo Fighters for instance. Color and the shape was a fantastic album and I really enjoyed Theres nothing left to lose but man have their newest albums been underwhelming. Jesus even Blink 182. I loved dude ranch, enema of the state, and take off your pants and jacket was by far their best album but when I look at Neighbourhoods I feel like shitting myself. Lupe Fiasco is another example. His first 2 albums are my favorite rap albums ever made but then I look at lasers and his newest album and I cant help but feel disappointed. Anyways this is mostly just a thread for music lovers to vent about how their favorite bands "grew" into shit.

Don't completely agree about Coheed. I'm digging the Afterman... never got into Year of The Black Rainbow though. I don't know if I'd say it sucks, but I definitely don't care for it much- save for two or three tracks. I think the latest release has restored my faith in them though. BTW they are still that awesome band they were 10 years ago... I went to the Second Stage Turbine Blade full album show last year and they blew me away. Even the Year of the Black Rainbow songs were pretty kickass live.

Kinda feel the same about Blink 182. Loved Dude Ranch also (and not to mention Cheshire Cat). I thought the self titled album was pretty bad and can't think of a single song on there that I enjoy. But Neighborhoods... I thought it was decent! A big step up from the self titled but still no Take Off Your Pants.

But anyways, Green Day. I thought they went downhill after Warning. Although... I don't much care for Warning or Nimrod as full albums. Soo I guess they started going downhill after Insomniac?

#118 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

Fuck you Foo Fighters are awesome. But I see where you're coming from. 
As much as I love Weezer, there's no doubt they're not as good as they were in the 90s. 

#119 Edited by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

I have to say, Every Time I Die. Hot Damn! is a classic, Gutter Phenomenon is amazing, The Big Dirty is awesome, New Junk Aesthetic has some skip-able songs and Ex Lives just seems like they're trying too hard. Other than 'Underwater Bimbos From Outer Space' (which is a great song), maybe 3 songs are ok? Everything else is kind of sucks. It sucks too, because ETID.

Wow, I'm also going to say GlassJAw, my favorite band and the reason for my username. They finally came out with 2 new EPs last year after years without a release (2002 full and 2005 unreleased tracks). I haven't listened to those songs since the first week or so they came out. I guess that means they weren't that great.

@bushpusherr said:

Thrice.

Artist in the Ambulence was awesome, Vheissu was pretty different but I still liked it a lot. The Alchemy Index stuff was pretty hit and miss with me. Didn't really care for Beggars much at all.

I completely agree. My favorite band at the time, I didn't really like Artist in the Ambulance, as it was less 'heavy' than Identity Crisis and The Illusion of Safety. Years later it became one of my favorite albums. But I never really got into Vheissu, although it had some good songs. Some of my friends like The Alchemy Index and nothing else from them, but I only listened to it a few times and found it too weird. I guess I should go back and check it out, along with Beggars.

#120 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

So many bands really. It's kind of inevitable.

I'm sure not everyone would agree with this, but I think it shows how great the Beatles were, that they could continually make great music for years and years. I think Abbey Road is their best album.

The Descnedents, Black Sabbath, Metric, and Led Zeppelin are all bands that come to mind for going downhill. Especially Metric. Fuck their new stuff. I think we're in the middle of the Black Keys imploding too. Didn't like El Camino at all.

#121 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2196 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@habster3 said:

The Offspring: A band known for great, metallic punk songs like Genocide and Come Out and Play resorting to Katy Perry-esque "parody" shit? Dear lord, even Pretty Fly wasn't that bad; at least it was kind of amusing.

Are you talking about this?

Yeah... I remember when I first saw this video brought up in a tweet with someone complaining about them and I could not understand why until I actually watched the video.

@EquitasInvictus: Now I understand why my most of my musical tastes are stuck before 2000. Holy crap...

Online
#122 Posted by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

AFI, Rise Against, NOFX, Sum41, Blink 182...just about every band lives beyond their shelf life.

#123 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Spank rock, metallica, daft punk and Foo fighters are ones that I know of.

#124 Posted by TopSteer (636 posts) -

@Toxin066: I'd disagree about Rise Against, I think Appeal to Reason is their best album but I still really like their newer stuff.

#125 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

Pretty disappointed in Giant Bomb's "Metal" community. Uhhg.

#126 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

@Akeldama: Well it's not like we're gonna mention Desultory, Ensiferum, The Faceless, and Meshuggah here. lol

#127 Edited by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@innacces14 said:

@Akeldama: Well it's not like we're gonna mention Desultory, Ensiferum, The Faceless, and Meshuggah here. lol

Why not? I think 3 out of those 4 bands have had terrible late careers. Why is there no mention of Celtic Frost? Carcass? Cryptopsy? Decapitated? Morbid Angel? Satyricon? Testament?

Instead, it's all herp derp Metallica, Disturbed Cradle of Filth and other crap that was either dead decades ago or never good in the first place.

#128 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Weezer.

#129 Posted by moffattron9000 (351 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@ian280291

Nickelback...

I don't remember them ever being on a hill to go down.

You can always dig a deeper hole.

#130 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@innacces14 said:

@Akeldama: Well it's not like we're gonna mention Desultory, Ensiferum, The Faceless, and Meshuggah here. lol

Why not? I think 3 out of those 4 bands have had terrible late careers. Why is there no mention of Celtic Frost? Carcass? Cryptopsy? Decapitated? Morbid Angel? Satyricon? Testament?

Instead, it's all herp derp Metallica, Disturbed Cradle of Filth and other crap that was either dead decades ago or never good in the first place.

Could just mention them instead of disbelievingly asking why nobody else mentioned them. There are a lot of bands out there, and a lot of people here, some with different tastes.

#131 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

Not so much disbelief as it is honest disappointment. Call me an elistest, whatever. Tired of hearing about the same handful of bands.

#132 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

Not so much disbelief as it is honest disappointment. Call me an elistest, whatever. Tired of hearing about the same handful of bands.

Not calling you an elitist, just saying that it's a given that more well-known bands will get mentioned more often. Believe me, I get the frustration at the limited opportunities to discuss lesser-known favorites, but so it has always gone, and so it shall continue to go. Nothing wrong with starting a metal thread to talk more specifically about the aforementioned bands. There are a lot of metalheads here, if the "favorite albums of the year" thread is any indication.

#133 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

@Akeldama said:

Not so much disbelief as it is honest disappointment. Call me an elistest, whatever. Tired of hearing about the same handful of bands.

Not calling you an elitist, just saying that it's a given that more well-known bands will get mentioned more often. Believe me, I get the frustration at the limited opportunities to discuss lesser-known favorites, but so it has always gone, and so it shall continue to go. Nothing wrong with starting a metal thread to talk more specifically about the aforementioned bands. There are a lot of metalheads here, if the "favorite albums of the year" thread is any indication.

I suppose.

#134 Posted by dudeglove (7685 posts) -

Originally read this as "Boards that went downhill".

Off the top of my head... NIN, I guess, but that's only because Reznor stopped drinking and doing drugs so it doesn't count. Also punk and ska were always shit, folks.

#135 Posted by Mercy_ (259 posts) -

Evanescence. No Ben Moody = no bueno.

#136 Posted by Onkel_Apan (56 posts) -

@Brendan said:

Weezer.

Yeah, everything after Pinkerton was a let down. maybe because Pinkerton is so good.

#137 Posted by celciusdj (3 posts) -

Silverchair and Linkin Park both started off great and went in strange directions

#138 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@Jazzycola said:

@JazGalaxy said:

most bands peak after a couple of albums unless they're full on REAL musicians.

Don't be that guy. A musician is musician because he/she makes music. He/she may not be very good, but that doesn't change the fact that he/she is a musician. Every band has it's peaks and valleys, saying stuff like that is ridiculous and ignorant.

Garbage.

I play bass and I have for years. I am by no means a real musician. I just don't have the talent for it. I can play songs and make up some fills based on stuff I've heard before and patterns I've worked out, but I am not a REAL musican who understands sound on a level that exists outside of genres. (genres, of course, being music based on pre-existing music with slight variations to call it new.)

REALmusicians, people who actually students of sound, can transcend the natural stopping point that age tends to bring.

#139 Posted by DirtyEagles (274 posts) -

Downhill Domination for the ps2

#140 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Oh yeah, mandatory in any discussion like this. FUCKING METALLICA!

The undeniably correct choice. In fairness to them 99.9% of bands start slipping as soon as they start making big money. I imagine it's hard to maintain any angst with a Ferrari in the driveway and a 20 year old with big tits in your bed, but Metallica's huge collapse has been sad just the same.

One could argue that Cliff Burton was the true artistic soul of Metallica. He seems to be the one most willing to push the boundaries of their music. I bet we'd see a very different band if he didn't die. I mean Kirk seems just happy to go along with whatever, Robert too after he joined. Jason was never truly accepted (It's fucking criminal what they did to him on Justice). And James and Lars just happilyfollowed Bob Rock in streamlining their music and taking swims in their money bins. As I said, I don't mind a lot of Metallica's new stuff, but it's just such a steep and noticeable decline even when you don't take into consideration the rest of the bullshit associated with them with Napster, Some Kind Of Monster and Lars Ulrich being Lars Ulrich.

#141 Posted by Cheesebob (1231 posts) -

Wu Tang Clan

#142 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

@Jazzycola said:

@JazGalaxy said:

most bands peak after a couple of albums unless they're full on REAL musicians.

Don't be that guy. A musician is musician because he/she makes music. He/she may not be very good, but that doesn't change the fact that he/she is a musician. Every band has it's peaks and valleys, saying stuff like that is ridiculous and ignorant.

Garbage.

I play bass and I have for years. I am by no means a real musician. I just don't have the talent for it. I can play songs and make up some fills based on stuff I've heard before and patterns I've worked out, but I am not a REAL musican who understands sound on a level that exists outside of genres. (genres, of course, being music based on pre-existing music with slight variations to call it new.)

REALmusicians, people who actually students of sound, can transcend the natural stopping point that age tends to bring.

YOU CAN CAPITALIZE REAL AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE BUT ITS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT A RATIONAL ARGUMENT. REAL is not a qualification. You may not be a talented musician. Doesn't mean that you're not a REAL. Here's the proper definition for a musician. So again you may not be very good at making new music but that doesn't make you not a REAL musician.

  1. A person who is talented or skilled in music.
  2. A person who plays a musical instrument, esp. professionally.
#143 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

@Jazzycola said:

@JazGalaxy said:

@Jazzycola said:

@JazGalaxy said:

most bands peak after a couple of albums unless they're full on REAL musicians.

Don't be that guy. A musician is musician because he/she makes music. He/she may not be very good, but that doesn't change the fact that he/she is a musician. Every band has it's peaks and valleys, saying stuff like that is ridiculous and ignorant.

Garbage.

I play bass and I have for years. I am by no means a real musician. I just don't have the talent for it. I can play songs and make up some fills based on stuff I've heard before and patterns I've worked out, but I am not a REAL musican who understands sound on a level that exists outside of genres. (genres, of course, being music based on pre-existing music with slight variations to call it new.)

REALmusicians, people who actually students of sound, can transcend the natural stopping point that age tends to bring.

YOU CAN CAPITALIZE REAL AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE BUT ITS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT A RATIONAL ARGUMENT. REAL is not a qualification. You may not be a talented musician. Doesn't mean that you're not a REAL. Here's the proper definition for a musician. So again you may not be very good at making new music but that doesn't make you not a REAL musician.

  1. A person who is talented or skilled in music.
  2. A person who plays a musical instrument, esp. professionally.

I think he is mixing up words or something. I think when he says REAL he actually means good or something? Otherwise this makes no sense. Jazgalaxy you play bass. You are a musician. Sure you may be a pretty shit musician but as long as you possess some skills you are a musician. Jesus fucking Nickleback are musicians and they are beyong garbage.

#144 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@TeflonBilly said:

@shinboy630 said:

@TeflonBilly: Yeah they dropped off big time, but I really liked Death Magnetic.

Death Magnetic was by no means a bad album. It just wasn't that memorable or exceptional. Especially after all the fanfare leading up to it. Hell, I'm one of the few people who didn't mind Metallica cutting their hair back in 97. I still maintain that if Load and ReLoad had trimmed and made a single album, you'd have a pretty damn good rock album. Hell, I cn even see kernel's of good ideas under the horrible production and general overwroughtness of St. Anger. But have a listen to Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets and it's such an immense decline in quality pver the years that it's spirit crushing.

Death Magnetic wasn't "that memorable or exceptional", like you said. But damn, that Video for All Nightmare Long is one of the best things ever. The Sovietic United States Flag is one of my things i use as an avatar in other forums.

I brought Death Magnetic day one for Guitar Hero, it was so much fun to play the songs in that DLC. killed my drum kit on that album.

#145 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I can think of few bands that nosedived as hard as Weezer did. First two albums were awesome then they started sliding. Their recent stuff is terrible.

Agree. Rivers went into depression and came out of it all pop.

#146 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@MetalGearSunny said:

Fuck you Foo Fighters are awesome. But I see where you're coming from. As much as I love Weezer, there's no doubt they're not as good as they were in the 90s.

I thought their last album was their best since Colour and the Shape. Krist Novoselic even laid down the bass track for this song, I think it's about the end of Nirvana\Kurt

#147 Posted by Shaka999 (451 posts) -

@ConstantRyan said:

Smashing Pumpkins. "The world is a vampire, sent to drayiyiyaiin". The death knell.

I've been scrolling through this topic to try to engage in anything because I couldn't think of anything, but holy fucking shit, Smashing Pumpkins by miles. Billy Corgan needs to make music under a different name, just stop bastardizing SP.

#148 Posted by ProfessorEss (7280 posts) -

The first one that always comes to mind for me is Radiohead.

Personally I think they should spend less time looking for new sounds and technologies and more time writing better songs. Also, when you have a voice like Thom Yorke you should showcase it, not bury it in ambient noise and effects.

#149 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@AlmostSwedish said:

@TeflonBilly said:

@rflx said:

Muse.

I really wonder what the hell happened after Black Holes And Revelations. That was like the fourth amazing album in a row with Showbiz, Origin Of Symmetry and Absolution managing to fill the rock star void that Radiohead didn't want to be in after OK Computer the best of all the other pretenders to the throne. Their mesh of what OK Computer hinted at and with a dash of Queen and their own magic was great. Then they shat the bed completely with the two subsequent albums.

While there is some truth to this, Animals is one of the best songs they have written. But yeah, Bellamys Queen complex is ridiculous, to the point that I enjoyed the last half of The 2nd much more than the first.

Fucking great song. Haven't brought a Muse album in a while might pick this up. Still think their best Song is Knights on Cyndonia.

#150 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

@ConstantRyan said:

Smashing Pumpkins. "The world is a vampire, sent to drayiyiyaiin". The death knell.

I've been scrolling through this topic to try to engage in anything because I couldn't think of anything, but holy fucking shit, Smashing Pumpkins by miles. Billy Corgan needs to make music under a different name, just stop bastardizing SP.

I reckon as soon as the band has less than 50% of their original members they should change their name. And if the singer dies please respectfully change the name of the band, I'm looking at you Queen\Sublime.