• 170 results
#151 Posted by localhost (19 posts) -

Autolux. Future Perfect was sublime. Transit Transit was fifty shades of meh.

#152 Edited by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

@rflx said:

Muse.

This is the perfect response. Their first showed promise, second and third albums were so excellent, then something just happened and they're utter shit today.

@ProfessorEss said:

The first one that always comes to mind for me is Radiohead.

Personally I think they should spend less time looking for new sounds and technologies and more time writing better songs. Also, when you have a voice like Thom Yorke you should showcase it, not bury it in ambient noise and effects.

But King of Limbs was so new for them. That album is so minimalistic and different than anything they've ever done. It's definitely an album for those who love percussion, and it's something that Radiohead have never really put at the forefront. Hell they even have two sets of drummers with analog and digital drums for the live album From the Basement. It's my favorite one of theirs. And Thom Yorke has definitely been showcasing his vocals, he's just not Leona Lewis and doesn't aim to showcase his vocals in a sense other types of artists do. Listen to Bloom, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Lotus Flower, and Videotape for very recent examples of his bone-chilling vocals.

#153 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

I mean, take Weezer, who's contribution to music was essentially bleeding out how lonely and messed up Rivers Cuomo was. That just doesn't play anymore when he's rich, married to a model and playing in front of thousands of fans who adore him every night.

Weezer's first two records are incredible. The reason everything they've done after that has been mediocre is because of the initial response to Pinkerton. Rivers put his all into that record and it initially wasn't well received and didn't sell as well as he hoped, and it scared him off from making more music like Pinkerton. After that, he resorted to playing more generic sounding, radio friendly songs that would sell. By the time everyone started praising Pinkerton years later, he had forgotten how to write songs like that and has been trying to ever since. Thats why we'll get a decent song like Pork and Beans or that State Farm jingle every now and then, but the other 99% is the same generic music they've been putting out since the Green album.

#154 Posted by Vod_Crack (722 posts) -

@brophdog said:

Not Clutch.

Winner!

#155 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

Mastodon's last album was a pretty depressing lesson.

Haven't cared for Mogwai's last two albums much either.

#156 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

@bushpusherr said:

@TeflonBilly said:

@bushpusherr said:

Thrice.

Artist in the Ambulence was awesome, Vheissu was pretty different but I still liked it a lot. The Alchemy Index stuff was pretty hit and miss with me. Didn't really care for Beggars much at all.

I loved what Thrice did with Vheissu and The Alchemy Index volumes. I thought it was really bold experimentation with their music and produced some absolutely amazing tracks like Red Sky, Stand And Fell Your Worth, For Miles, Digital Sea, Moving Mountains, Digging My Own Grave, hell I can keep listing songs all day. I never did delve to deeply into Beggars and Major/Minor. The times I listened to them I felt like they were such a step back. And not even a good step back to Artist In The Ambulance. Kinda like they were trying to ease back into that sound a bit and stumbled.

Still having loved Thrice since The Illusion Of Safety, I really loved their progression from that to Artist In The Ambulance to Vheissu to The Alchemy Index volumes.

I was reminded of back in the day when Deftones went from Adrenaline to Around The Fur to White Pony. I hesitate to put Deftones on this list, though they haven't managed to top the utterly transcendent White Pony, it's not as if they've shit the bed. And considering Chi's car accident, it obviously hurt the band overall. Deftones, Saturday Night Wrist and Diamond Eyes were still albums I enjoyed a lot, but White Pony is just a magical album for me.

Yeah I really liked Vheissu, and I dug most of the Fire/Water albums. There were only a few songs a liked on Earth/Air, but I appreciated the experimentation. I still didn't really like the style as much as Artist in the Ambulence though.

my top 3 thrice albums are probably Vheissu, Beggars and Major/Minor in that order, Vheissu is a fucking masterpiece

all their old punky metal stuff just makes me feel 17- in a bad way, for some reason i just dont enjoy listening to it anymore

#157 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior: Wasting Light is a great album, yes, but I wouldn't say it's as good as Colour and the Shape.
#158 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I can think of few bands that nosedived as hard as Weezer did. First two albums were awesome then they started sliding. Their recent stuff is terrible.

Agree. Rivers went into depression and came out of it all pop.

He's absolutely the worst offender in the group. They can still write some catchy hooks, I wanna like some of the newer songs but his lyrics are so godawful it makes me cringe.

@Bourbon_Warrior: Yeah I really liked the last Foo album. They can be pretty hit or miss but the last album was pretty great. There was nothing nearly as bad as "Long Road to Ruin" on it. Wow that was a stinker.

#159 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

@JazGalaxy said:

I mean, take Weezer, who's contribution to music was essentially bleeding out how lonely and messed up Rivers Cuomo was. That just doesn't play anymore when he's rich, married to a model and playing in front of thousands of fans who adore him every night.

Weezer's first two records are incredible. The reason everything they've done after that has been mediocre is because of the initial response to Pinkerton. Rivers put his all into that record and it initially wasn't well received and didn't sell as well as he hoped, and it scared him off from making more music like Pinkerton. After that, he resorted to playing more generic sounding, radio friendly songs that would sell. By the time everyone started praising Pinkerton years later, he had forgotten how to write songs like that and has been trying to ever since. Thats why we'll get a decent song like Pork and Beans or that State Farm jingle every now and then, but the other 99% is the same generic music they've been putting out since the Green album.

that's not what River's would say. He says he's just not at the place he was when he was writing those songs.

The same goes for other artists. Kevin Smith spoke about it rather eloquently during one of his college tours. He basically said he couldn't possibly write another mall rats without it sounding fake because when he did those, he was young, single, fat and frustrated. If he tried, it would be hollow and fake and everyone would know it. So he writes stuff instead that more fits where he is in life these days.

#160 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

@WilliamHenry said:

@JazGalaxy said:

that's not what River's would say. He says he's just not at the place he was when he was writing those songs.

The same goes for other artists. Kevin Smith spoke about it rather eloquently during one of his college tours. He basically said he couldn't possibly write another mall rats without it sounding fake because when he did those, he was young, single, fat and frustrated. If he tried, it would be hollow and fake and everyone would know it. So he writes stuff instead that more fits where he is in life these days.

So he makes films about being old, married, fat and frustrated now? :P

On the topic of Weezer, I am curious about how the original idea for Pinkerton would've been. If I remember correctly it was supposed to be a rock opera set in space.

#161 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

I don't know, I like songs from the new Weezer stuff. But the Blue Album is damn near perfect as far as songs go but the newer albums are just good but without being standouts.

I will definitely say Green Day. It's like either the success of American Idiot or the desire to be taken more seriously has them make just really bland albums.

#162 Posted by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

In Flames.

That was a heartbreaker.

#163 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

@JazGalaxy said:

@WilliamHenry said:

@JazGalaxy said:

So he makes films about being old, married, fat and frustrated now? :P

On the topic of Weezer, I am curious about how the original idea for Pinkerton would've been. If I remember correctly it was supposed to be a rock opera set in space.

That's right, it was.

Many of those songs, like Tired of Sex, are still on pinkerton. The rest you can piece together from stuff that's out there. For instance, the "I Just Threw Out The Love Of My Dreams" B-Side that's been out forever as well as the "Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo" albums that came out a few years ago.

Don't waste your time though, it's probably not what you think it is. Pinkerton was the right thing to come out of the cosmos in that situation.

#164 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Queen yes, AC/DC no. The thing about AC/DC is that at least their tribute to their late frontman is fitting; although Brian Johnson's voice is very different from Bon Scott's, his performance with the band comes off as putting flowers on the grave instead of pissing on it. Certainly can't say the same thing for Adam Lambert and Rome Ramirez... urgh.

#165 Edited by emem (1968 posts) -

There are tons, but the first that comes to mind is "Live". Throwing Copper was an amazing album... sadly it's the only great album they ever released.

@Brodehouse

said:

@MariachiMacabre

@ian280291

Nickelback...

I don't remember them ever being on a hill to go down.
I remember actually liking a couple Nickelback tunes. But then Leader of Men got huge, so they made their next album full of Leader of Men-style tunes; How You Remind Me. And it's been that since then. I think the song is called Breathe and I think it's actually kind of alright. But I'm really into 90s alternative, so consider that.
I don't really know or understand why a lot of the "cool kids" dislike Nickelback. It's because they are mainstream (and because of the way they look), right? I personally like a lot of their songs, almost all of them are easy to listen to. 
#166 Edited by Witzig (327 posts) -

I would say say the Misfits or Offspring.

#167 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3154 posts) -

God, I could go forever. Green Day, Linkin Park, Cryptopsy, Celtic Frost, Morbid Angel, Blink 182s newest album wasn't great. Eminem, Brand New, Marilyn Manson, Earth Crisis, AFI, My Chemical Romance, Nile, Chimaira after The Infection.

#168 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Danko Jones is one of the greatest live bands I've ever seen, but after Sleep Is The Enemy, I've found their albums to get a little too formulaic and for a lack of a better word "safe". Same goes for The Hives after Tyrannosaurus Hives. They didn't get bad per se, just that their output wasn't as exciting. Especially for two bands who have the most charismatic and dynamic frontmen in rock music today. Howlin' Pelle and Danko Jones are just magic on stage and I implore anyone who has a chance to catch them live to do so to see some just amazing performances.

Turbonegro is another band that comes to mind. After ending the millennium with one of the greatest rock albums ever in Apocalypse Dudes and taking a break they returned after a 5 year hiatus with the pretty good Scandinavian Leather. Then they seemed to lose the spark a bit and are now pretty unrecognizable after they got a new frontman. The band is as good as ever, but the new guy isn't close to as dynamic as Hank von Helvete was (Not that he seems like that much nowadays after sobering up. Good for him though) and the material just isn't grabbing me.

#169 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@emem
There are tons, but the first that comes to mind is "Live". Throwing Copper was an amazing album... sadly it's the only great album they ever released.

@Brodehouse

said:

@MariachiMacabre

@ian280291

Nickelback...

I don't remember them ever being on a hill to go down.
I remember actually liking a couple Nickelback tunes. But then Leader of Men got huge, so they made their next album full of Leader of Men-style tunes; How You Remind Me. And it's been that since then. I think the song is called Breathe and I think it's actually kind of alright. But I'm really into 90s alternative, so consider that.
I don't really know or understand why a lot of the "cool kids" dislike Nickelback. It's because they are mainstream (and because of the way they look), right? I personally like a lot of their songs, almost all of them are easy to listen to. 
Nope. It's because nearly all of their songs sound identical. They refuse to do any experimenting. Also, they're just not good at all.
#170 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

Linkin Park i guess, they are still pretty good but they are completely different now

#171 Posted by Gradev (43 posts) -

Damn everyone said Muse already....*facepalm*