Bands You Like, But Everyone Else Hates.

• 157 results
yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By yetiantics

Counter topic! Okay I searched to see if this topic had already been started, and yes there are some extremely similar, but that was more into what people's "guilty pleasures" were.

This thread is about admitting you like a certain artist/band that everyone else hates.

...and I don't mean "guilty pleasures". You genuinely have to like em. So it's safe to come out now Nickelback fans.

Here, let me start.

I like Linkin Park. Especially their "A Thousand Suns" album. Bummed that their new stuff is basically going back to sounding like their old stuff, but I think it's still okay nonetheless.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By InternetCrab

From those I have talked to (mostly those in my school and my friends) they hate this band. I for one, love them.

Chias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chias

I like Linkin Park, but I really didn't like A Thousand Suns. too.... I dunno, weird?

I also love Crush 40 in a totally unironic fashion, shit's good.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Disturbed I guess.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By topsteer

I agree with you on Linkin Park, liked them years ago and still like them now.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

Hmmm, I don't think I have a band I like that everyone else hates. Nano.RIPE would probably be the most divisive one if I had to choose.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By jacdg

I really, really liked Green Day and Linkin Park for a while, but since I'm primarily listening to hip/hop now I hardly ever throw that stuff on, but I still find it quite entertaining, and least their older stuff, not a huge fan of new Linkin Park. In terms of hip/hop, I usually listen to underground stuff where disliking artist aren't really prevalent, I'm kinda into Kid Cudi though, a lot of people tend not to like him

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NegativeCero

I guess I would say Avenged Sevenfold, though I haven't heard their recent stuff.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#9  Edited By Mystyr_E

I wouldn't say people hate her but they certainly don't talk about Enya so not afraid to admit I adore her music.

And another way to completely lose my street cred...........Britney Spears music is way too catchy for its own good. I swear Until the World Ends was in my head for weeks.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karl_Boss

I have artists that I like that a lot of people dislike......but I can't think of a band like that.

And I wouldn't say everyone hates Linkin Parks, a lot of people like them.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By forkboy

I like lots of artists that a majority would hate if they'd even heard of them

SunnO))), Nadja, Teeth Of The Lion Rule The Divine, Burning Witch, Monarch, Black Sun, early Earth records, & similar stuff with a drone doom vibe. So does it count if most people don't know it, but you can still safely assume folk would loathe it? For example

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FilipHolm

Lady Gaga?

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By habster3

Well, there are a lot of more obscure bands that I listen to that a lot of my friends probably wouldn't like, including: Big Black, Boris (before all that shoegaze-y dance-pop shit), Refused, Japandroids, Melvins, Yuck, and several others. Also, a lot of my friends hate Operation Ivy and Weezer (I don't really like their stuff after 2002, but they were pretty good before that imo).

Then there are some other bands that my friends don't necessarily hate, but a lot of people do. These include: Green Day (I prefer their earlier material), Smash-era The Offspring and Beastie Boys

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JaredA

Midnight Brown

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blink-182. I'm sorry everyone, but they clearly didn't give a shit except having fun and I can totes get down with that.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By habster3

@forkboy: Your tastes... are impeccable, good sir

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Dagbiker

Yes and Coldplay, sometimes.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bybeach

"Lets get freaky now, Lets get fucking freaky now"

(scream)...Liar! Liar!

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By intro

Pretty much everything I listen to people hate. I like a lot of metal/metalcore (and the other million other subgenres) along with electronic music. Very little people I know listen to that, everyone I know is either all mainstream rap or country. I like all kinds of rock/punk and even Jeremy Soule (the Oblivion soundtrack is beautiful).

To the dude above, I also like Blink-182. People hate them? I don't really pay attention to other people's opinions I guess, if I like it I like it, I hate arguing over music.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@JonathanAshleyMoore said:

Blink-182. I'm sorry everyone, but they clearly didn't give a shit except having fun and I can totes get down with that.

Same here, man. It's okay.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Slugabed

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Canteu

@InternetCrab: when you post a TCV song, make sure it's Elephants.

People you know are idiots.

That is all.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Karl_Boss

@forkboy: Why would you assume everyone would hate Drone Metal?....I personally don't care for Drone Metal but that's probably because I'm not a big fan of metal in general, but I don't think everyone would hate it....it doesn't strike me as incredibly inaccessible.....compared to experimental bands like Black Dice I think Drone Metal is a relatively easy listen, I'm just not into the sound.

conformunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By conformunist

Have you seen them recently... it's depressing as hell. They hate each other.

otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By otzlowe

I hear mostly positive things about her looks, but I assume that most people on the internet don't care for her music, but I totally actually blast some Katy Perry from time to time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coldplay, Lady Gaga, and Kanye West. Those are the big ones I like that a lot of people seem to hate, or at least say they hate them.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By drac96

@NegativeCero: Everyone around you hates Avenged Sevenfold?

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sungahymn

I like Linkin Park too, though I've only listened to only two songs.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KirillOrlov

Phantom Planet, god knows people only know them for "California"

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JasonR86

Cauterize

They aren't together anymore because their CD's didn't sell and I totally get it. In every way they aren't a great band. Their lyrics suck. The singer sings through his nose. The music, by and large, is generic as hell. But I can't help it. Maybe it was the time when I heard them first. I was in high school and just starting to really get into music exploration and they were one of the bands I found out about. They do show some music ability. They can write catchy pop-rock songs. And at times they do some pretty neat things especially with the bassist. And they do have some variety with the music from simply pop, to pop-rock, to alternative-rock....ok, that's not a ton of variety but it's better then a lot of bands.

...well, anyway, here's one of their songs. REMEMBER, I admit that they aren't good. I just can't help but kind of like them.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By forkboy

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@forkboy: Why would you assume everyone would hate Drone Metal?....I personally don't care for Drone Metal but that's probably because I'm not a big fan of metal in general, but I don't think everyone would hate it....it doesn't strike me as incredibly inaccessible.....compared to experimental bands like Black Dice I think Drone Metal is a relatively easy listen, I'm just not into the sound.

Drone doom is certainly not the least accessible form of music I've ever heard, but lets not kid ourselves here. It's a niche within the niche of doom, which is itself inside the relative niche of metal. I certainly know a number of metal fans who fight drone utterly unpleasant, or just simply boring. Is it as challenging to listen to as Wolf Eyes? Or Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed? No, probably not although some Khanate probably gets in at least the same ball park as the former. I believe a majority of people who were forced to listen to SunnO))) would want to turn it off It's no decleration from me of "THIS IS THE CRAZIEST SHIT YOU'LL EVER HEAR" because it isn't. It doesn't touch noise as far as difficulty goes. It's merely me contributing to the thread. And if Linkin Park are a band that everybody hates despite being a chart topping group then I contest that SunnO))) would be at least as hated if they had the same level of visibility.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't know what everyone hates.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserbolts

@Conformunist said:

Have you seen them recently... it's depressing as hell. They hate each other.

It's Tom's fault I love Blink pre break up but man that new album is hard to listen to. I saw them live last year and Tom just can't stop trying to sing like he does in the angels and airwaves stuff. Which is just awful imo. Can still listen to their older albums though because they were awesome back in the day and Travis is God.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Midnight Brown. I've met a lot of people who give me shit about listening to their music.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By ch3burashka

I heard "Someday" by Nickelback at a pivotal time in my life, so it has a special place in my heart, as does the rest of the catalog. I'll still maintain they make decent music - they are not the shit some people claim them to be.

PS Pay no heed to the actual video - most of their music videos are pretty atrocious. Except "Hero" - it's about people being saved from death, and seeing everyone else's deathclocks and are stuck in some kind of limbo in which they must save another person to snap out of it. It's pretty neat.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@Dagbiker: Hmm. That really depends on what era of Yes.

The latter days (90125 etc) then yeah; that stuff is hated by most original fans, myself included.

However, if you like the progressive period (The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge etc) then good on you. Fantastic stuff.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karl_Boss

@forkboy: There isn't a lot of music harder to listen to than Metal Machine Music. :P.....I think I got half-way through that album before calling it quits, I just couldn't take it anymore.....I see your point though, to a mainstream audience drone metal wouldn't get many positive reactions.....that's theoretical of course, because drone metal is such a niche genre that it will never be heard by people who just listen to the radio, and it will most likely never become a popular genre that garners enough listeners to be considered hated....but I see your point as kind of a "what if drone metal was popular" analysis.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Illuminosopher

Lords of Acid or Otep

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nickelback. Not to be that guy, but I really like their very first album and even some songs off the second one. There's other shit I enjoy sprinkled in through their work after that but I mostly agree with the rest of the world that it's garbage. Even some of the songs I like by them I realize are corny as shit, but when I'm in the right mood it's great. Another one would be Bush, which is funny since they were touring together this year. I'm a huge fan of '90's music and Bush is one of my favorites of the era. Their newest album blows dick but I saw them live on their headlining tour last fall and they were one of the best live bands I've ever seen. I did not expect them to care nearly as much about the fans as they did, but they really blew me away as performers and showmen, and you can't knock a band for that.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Karl_Boss

I think the problem with this thread is that niche bands that would be hated by a lot of people if they were popular just aren't popular enough to reach the audience that would dislike them.....and bands that are popular aren't hated by everyone or even most people because in order to become popular you generally have to garner a lot of attention by having a sound that appeals towards a large audience.....so even though a lot of people dislike Justin Bieber he still has a massive following, so he's not disliked by everyone......Nickleback is another good example, they get a lot of hate but they still sell a ton of records indicating that many people like them as well.

Now if the topic was titled something along the lines of "bands that you like, but receive a lot of hate" it would make more sense.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IkariNoTekken

@BestUsernameEver:

Time Team could have been better and most of all he doesn't ever try to trend new ground, but is he really hated?

Kenshinfan818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Kenshinfan818

Freshman 15. Those guys are so lame but they always have a soft spot in my heart.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By EmuLeader

@Chias said:

I also love Crush 40 in a totally unironic fashion, shit's good.

People bash those games alot, but I loved the music in them.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@IkariNoTekken said:

@BestUsernameEver:

Time Team could have been better and most of all he doesn't ever try to trend new ground, but is he really hated?

You can say the same about Skrillex and Deadmou5, so the point is it's not a bad thing if they dont try to 'trend new ground'. What slugabed does is great, why should he try to stray from that for the sake of doing it?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NegativeCero

@drac96: Very hit and miss.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AngelN7

Linkin Park , U2 and Nickleback? I don't know this is the internet and this is giantbomb who hates EVERYTHING I like whatever music sounds good to me.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone I know hates Streetlight Manifesto. I can never figure out why.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wjb

@IkariNoTekken said:

@Dagbiker: Hmm. That really depends on what era of Yes.

The latter days (90125 etc) then yeah; that stuff is hated by most original fans, myself included.

However, if you like the progressive period (The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge etc) then good on you. Fantastic stuff.

I enjoy the progressive years in the 70's, but despite being a departure, 90125 is still a great record, I think. At least as far as contemporary rock goes. "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is a good song no matter where it came from.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By djstyles92

@Skyfire543: you know bad people

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EchoEcho

I'll admit to liking Linkin Park, old and new, though I could take or leave Minutes to Midnight. Also like Creed -- which, if you've read any of the other threads about music on this site, apparently makes me the stupidest person on the face of the earth. Looking through my stuff, I think I listen to a lot of music that the majority of people don't like, but oh well. I'm sure I'll survive somehow.