#1 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -
#2 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

I used this as a rerference. http://infobella.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/banana-ripeness-scale/ To them, once a bannana is brown it is unedible. For me, that is ridiculous. I like most of my bannans at around 75% brownness (?). Sometimes at that level you will get bad bruises but I sometimes find 90% browned bannanas that are perfectly fine. Sorry for shitty layout, I'm on ios.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

People that enjoy brown bananas are heathens.

Wow, that sounds racist.

#5 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1669 posts) -

They're best when they got black spots on them. Just the right softness and they're deliciously sweet.

#6 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Once bananas turn brown you're supposed to make them into banana bread, yumyumyumyum.

#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

Gimme some of dat green

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (12411 posts) -

10 - Black.

#9 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: also: freeze them and use them in smoothies. Or blend them up on their own to make banana "ice cream." It's awesome.

#10 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

People that enjoy brown bananas are heathens.

Wow, that sounds racist.

#11 Edited by John1912 (1969 posts) -

Im picky about my fruit. Brown I just have to feel like is spoiling. Long as the banana is all white, or VERY slight browning on the inside Ill eat it. A banana does have to be properly ripe. I like them 1-2 days after they have turned all yellow. If they are too green they taste like shit.

#12 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I despise bananas. I can't even touch the inside of a banana peel without getting grossed out.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Where is the "Fuck Bannanas" button?

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Kerned

@PeasantAbuse: also: freeze them and use them in smoothies. Or blend them up on their own to make banana "ice cream." It's awesome.

Holy shit that ice cream sounds amazing.
#15 Posted by SSully (4322 posts) -

I dont understand why I click on these threads.

#16 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

@SSully said:

I dont understand why I click on these threads.

me either but fuck yeh im gonna vote and then explain what i picked

I like mine yellow with a little brown, so that its nice and soft, for smoothies though they need to be fully yellow

#17 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

If it's soft my gag reflex kicks in, every fucking time. Just a hint of green is the way to go. Brown= inedible.

#18 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (635 posts) -

all yellow, green isn't good enough and brown is too mushy. although banana bread should be made anytime they're brown so maybe brown is the best ripeness level for a banana.

#19 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Hey man whatever you wanna do on your own time, more power to ya.

..But in here we're talking about eating 'em.

#20 Posted by TobbRobb (4841 posts) -

They have to be browning. Green bananas are gross.

#21 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

I hate bananas they're the worst and give me heartburn. THEY BURN MY HEART!

edit: all yellow :(

#22 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2404 posts) -

No matter what you gotta watch out for Banana Mouth.

#23 Posted by Krullban (1062 posts) -

I prefer the ones that are a little bit green. Yellow ones taste a little bit bland to me.

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5963 posts) -

There's like a 3 hour window where Bananas are great, and it's somewhere between slightly green, and all yellow.

#25 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

All yellow all the time

#26 Posted by mellotronrules (1246 posts) -

2 banana pro tips:

1) peel from the bottom (not the stem side)- it's easier to crack into and you don't mush it up trying to get it open

2) if you buy a large quantity, throw it in the fridge- it'll still go completely brown, but they'll remain edible for a longer period (as opposed to them ripening at room temp and then all going off at the same time)

#27 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

The numbers on this scale correspond to the number of instances of passed gas

#28 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3085 posts) -

I don't like bananas, but I definitely wouldn't eat a brown one.

#29 Posted by Levius (1228 posts) -
@Demoskinos

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Yellow with green tint and keep them cool in the fridge too.

#31 Edited by Sanj (2537 posts) -

Yellow banana goes in, brown banana comes out.

#32 Posted by NakAttack (1292 posts) -

@Sanj said:

Yellow banana goes in, brown banana comes out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#33 Posted by Dark (402 posts) -

If its at the colour my eyes can see as yellowey brown, then I classify it as safe. Being colour blind I have been tricked once or twice thinking they where yellow, I just can't take that risk anymore.

#34 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -

Yellow with green end. I hate brownish bananas. Always have.

#35 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Brown - when I have Bananas in my daily diet, I'm buying them a week in advance. Almost all brown & tangy sweet.

#36 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

Bananas with just the start of brown spots showing are technically at their sweetest. I prefer them at this point because they're not too soft or too firm. Many like more firm bananas (my wife is this way), and yet others prefer them soft. Whatever. There's a point when they're so soft that I just don't like the texture, and too-green bananas just don't taste right to me.

I always freeze my bananas that have gone too brown, for use either in banana ice cream or to thaw and use in banana bread.

#37 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (461 posts) -

I like them pink, hold on what were you asking!

#38 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

The only answer, and this is not some stupid opinion, it's fact, is that a ripe banana would be what you have up there at seven. I personally hate eating it then though, and go with it being all yellow 'cause it taste the best and isn't mushy. Too green is too hard.

#39 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

#40 Edited by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Yellow with the green stem - yellowish brown is usually my range for banana eatin'. I can live with a few brown spots but when the browness starts transferring to the inner banana, I'm out.

That was a really weird thing to think about and then type. Everyone should be in touch with their inner banana.

#41 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2120 posts) -

7 or 8 for me. Yellow with a few small brown speckles or dots is usually good with me. They get sweeter it seems the darker they are. I don't like eating them just plain when they are all dark brown and mush, but then just use them for banana bread! Yummm.