Based On A TRU Story by 2 Chainz (greatest rap album of 2012?!)

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You know what, Based On A TRU Story by 2 Chainz is the greatest album of the year.    

Ok no its not but 2 Chainz is probably my favourite rapper that I first heard of in 2012 because his music is stupid fun.  There, I said it.  This is the kind of music that just makes me want to go insane and wave my arms and shit.  I like 2 Chainz.  He doesnt have thought provoking lyrics but I think theyre hilarious.  Hes different and hes likable.  Other rappers talk about the same stuff that he talks about (money, women, etc.) but something about the way 2 Chainz brings himself together is just amazing.   

Honestly, once you accept that youre listening to bad music it becomes so much more likeable for some strange reason.  I could just be an insanely pretentious "hip hop head" and bash this album but I embraced the amazing ratchetness that is this album.   

I give this album 34300 chains out of 24093 dollar bills.   

**EDIT** 
Forgot to add the part where I got into his music through that Drake song where I was listening to it and I turned up the volume just loud to mock the song but something about that clicked with me.  
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

2 Chainz has been around for a while. Some of his songs/feature are decent, but he raps like he has a wad of spit in his mouth.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Getz

I'm not impressed, can't see the appeal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BraveToaster: Thats true, I found out about him this year though.  Im not gonna look up his older stuff where he was in that group and stuff.   I figured that his delivery has to do with southern slang.

@Getz: you just have to embrace the stupidity but I can see where youre coming from.  It took a while for him to grow on me.  
Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a year where both El-P and Aesop Rock have new albums I'm very inclined to disagree with your statement.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

What the hell are Drake and Kanye doing throwing down rhymes for this hack? Is there some sort of hidden genius here that I'm not picking up on because to me it seems like this is pretty bad. The lyrics, beats, and delivery all seem sub-par.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By smitty86

Just off the top: Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music & Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions trump that. But I get it, the statement was more for shock value than truth. He gained my respect as a rapper when he stole the show on "Mercy." Still, he will always be remembered first as Titi Boi first to me.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By SmasheControllers

Just had an Ad for it on Spotify and man I couldn't believe it. Reminds me that all modern rappers are really bad.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By beepmachine

@SmasheControllers: Nah you just gotta look a little harder.

In terms of rap, Lupe Fiasco has Food & Liquor II out in September, and Tyler the Creator is supposed to release an album too (I don't really "get" his stuff but it's definitely more interesting than this guy). But hey man, it's all subjective so play that shit loud!

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By intro

@Getz said:

I'm not impressed, can't see the appeal.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NegativeCero

I've only heard him featuring on a Big KRIT song which I thought did alright on. Other than that, this is my first exposure to him. Can't say I'm a fan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chaser324: I found it really weird that Kanye signed him to his label.  The same label with him, Common and John Legend.  Its a weird world.   

@TheVeteran13: I agree with yours because I said that its not the best rap album of 2012.  Didnt the Ab Soul album come out this year?  I would say that and the Rone album are definitely better as all around projects.  I just like the silliness of his music.   

@smitty86: Did Habits and Contraditions really come out this year?  Man, Ive been bumping that shit for so long that I thought it came out a while back.   

@dennisthemennis: Oh shit, you just reminded me.  Im really looking forward to F&L II.  Im really impressed with all 3 of the tracks he dropped so far.  I dont really like Tyler the Creator and OF in general.  I feel like their flow has a 90s feel to it but I really cant get behind the lyrics.  If youre rapping like that, I want to hear really good lyrics.  
blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blindisaac

I love 2 Chainz. Not everything I listen to has to be profound and critically acclaimed. I love how he believes he isnt human.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

kendrick lamar is probably gonna drop some game changing shit october 2nd. if it dont get delayed; aftermath has a poor track record with that kinda thing.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'd rather listen to that upcoming ASAP Mob album for my simple minded rap music. At least they can get some good beats on their songs. Something about 2 chainz just makes him come off as a boring lame-wad who will appear on garbage like bees in the trap. Also if you want some bad rap check out Flatbush Zombies:

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

Only thing I've heard him on was the track he did with Kreayshawn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vinny_Says: Honestly, 2 Chainz is a hoe when it comes to those features.  I wouldve agreed about the beats if I didnt like that kind of trashy rap but I just got so accustomed to trap beats this year.  I havent really gotten into ASAP Mob and even Rocky himself.  Sure, he has those songs where you can mellow out to but I would rather go all out if I want to hear something stupid.   And Flatbush Zombies are fantastic.  

Like Riff Raff 

I feel like Im losing brain cells after listening to all this type of music.  I need help.  
sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sissylion

Man, 2 Chainz is the worst.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beepmachine

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: Yeah I think Around My Way is my favourite Lupe song thus far actually. Sick beat and his wordplay is better than ever. I'm not a big OF fan either, but I like that they stand out and are totally different from anything else, and I love that they will say anything. I think Yonkers is a fucking kick ass song though, and the music video is amazing. I think when Tyler grows up a bit he could be amazing.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By david3cm

The best thing about 2 Chainz is that he used to go by Titi Boi, which is the best rep moniker there ever was.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By bed

this shit is dumb. i don't think it's very good. although i kind of have a soft spot for dumb rap/hiphop in my heart. although that spot is mostly filled by Lil B, i have some sort of liking to music that kills my brain cells the more i listen to it. not for long, thankfully since it also gets boring really fast.

if anything, that one song reminded me of how much i don't like Drake. he could be reading a death threat to me and his voice would make me fall asleep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dennisthemennis: His wordplay is pretty insane.  Some of those entendres in The Cool, holy shit.  I personally like Bad Bitch because of how his conversationalist flow is really outside of the box.  But he did really great on the TROY beat.  Although I dont like their music, I really like the crew.  Theyre young, stupid, immature and funny.  What more could you want?  Yeah Yonkers has a really great feel to it.  And I agree, Tyler is a pretty young dude.  
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meltac

I liked him better when he called himself Tity Boi

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thedj93

@AjayRaz: woop woop swag

this songs not even that dumb forreal

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bed
thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thedj93

@AjayRaz: BITCH IM BESS DRESSD

ok

SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpecDotSign

@dennisthemennis said:

In terms of rap, Lupe Fiasco has Food & Liquor II out in September, and Tyler the Creator is supposed to release an album too (I don't really "get" his stuff but it's definitely more interesting than this guy). But hey man, it's all subjective so play that shit loud!

Nas' album is pretty legit. But you're right, Lupe's album is gonna destroy anything "hip hop" related this year. In my opinion he is the best mainstream hip hop artist out that gets NO LOVE.

SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpecDotSign

@thedj93: Oh snap?! Lil' B the #basedgawd himself? lmaooo. he sucks though.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bed

@thedj93: still one of the best songs i've heard in my entire life. the last minute or so is some of the most philosophical and wise shit that i've ever been graced with.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thedj93

@SpecDotSign said:

Nas' album is pretty legit. But you're right, Lupe's album is gonna destroy anything "hip hop" related this year. In my opinion he is the best mainstream hip hop artist out that gets NO LOVE.

i think it'll come down between Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid, Mad City and Lupe Fiasco's Food/Liquor 2. in fact, im willing to bet that if they both come out on schedule they'll be competing in one way or another. probably only between fan boys and shit but who knows.

i have a feeling lupe may have an ace up his sleeve. kendrick's album on the other hand is something of a known quantity. it's probably going to explore many of the same themes as section 80 (dissecting hedonism in a way that speaks to his generation). i hope food and liquor 2 marks a comeback for lupe cause lasers was a little low-impact.

also, this

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By jonnyboy

The fact that this could be genuinely considered the best rap album of 2012 is the most depressing statement of the music industry today.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By MariachiMacabre

OJT-bro, I love you and all but...I don't see what's good about 2 Chainz.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thedj93

@jonnyboy said:

The fact that this could be genuinely considered the best rap album of 2012 is the most depressing statement of the music industry today.

it's not all bad

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates

@jonnyboy said:

That's because it can't be. Regardless of my opinion that 2 Chainz is one of the worst, no one is very seriously saying that it is or could be. My only exposure to him is his verse on "Mercy", which takes a song I don't like and throws it into the dirt to be stomped on like a bad, bad joke.

My money's with Azealia Banks stealing the show.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vinny_Says

@thedj93 said:

@SpecDotSign said:

i think it'll come down between Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid, Mad City and Lupe Fiasco's Food/Liquor 2. in fact, im willing to bet that if they both come out on schedule they'll be competing in one way or another. probably only between fan boys and shit but who knows.

i have a feeling lupe may have an ace up his sleeve. kendrick's album on the other hand is something of a known quantity. it's probably going to explore many of the same themes as section 80 (dissecting hedonism in a way that speaks to his generation). i hope food and liquor 2 marks a comeback for lupe cause lasers was a little low-impact.

also, this

Lupe will probably just fuck up again like he did with lasers; I really hope he was joking when he said 97% of today's rap is garbage. Kendrick pretty much has the freedom to do whatever he wants but he might also fall into the same trap that every rapper seems to these days (really wanting to be played on the radio 26 times a day).

But honestly, I doubt either album will "destroy" Killer Mike's R.A.P. music.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thedj93

on an unrelated note, feel free to stream mf doom's new album dropping on monday here

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By jonnyboy

@thedj93: Nice, the associated track 'anywhere but here' sounds like a dark De La Soul joint. Like it.

SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SpecDotSign

@Vinny_Says said:

@thedj93 said:

@SpecDotSign said:

also, this

Lupe will probably just fuck up again like he did with lasers; I really hope he was joking when he said 97% of today's rap is garbage. Kendrick pretty much has the freedom to do whatever he wants but he might also fall into the same trap that every rapper seems to these days (really wanting to be played on the radio 26 times a day).

I really liked Lasers. Despite all the crap his record label put him through, I think he did a great job. I trust Lupe lyrically. And I haven't heard any of Killer Mike's new stuff so I'll check that out. I have no idea who Kendrick Lamar is. I'm into conscious hip hop and spoken word stuff, Is KL any of that? If so, I'll have to give him a listen.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@TheVeteran13 said:

In a year where both El-P and Aesop Rock have new albums I'm very inclined to disagree with your statement.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@SpecDotSign said:

@dennisthemennis said:

Maybe he gets "no love" for releasing that shit storm Lasers. You can't spoil us with something great like The Cool and just expect us to embrace that crap.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vinny_Says

@SpecDotSign said:

@Vinny_Says said:

@thedj93 said:

@SpecDotSign said:

also, this

I really liked Lasers. Despite all the crap his record label put him through, I think he did a great job. I trust Lupe lyrically. And I haven't heard any of Killer Mike's new stuff so I'll check that out. I have no idea who Kendrick Lamar is. I'm into conscious hip hop and spoken word stuff, Is KL any of that? If so, I'll have to give him a listen.

There's some conscious stuff in his catalogue. A mix of mainstream beats, a good message and strong lyrics/wordplay is how I would describe him.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'm listening to No Lie right now. Love that song. I don't care how bad or untalented people think hip hop is. It's one of the funnest genres to listen to.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By billyhoush

It's a good album to throw on while at the gym.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By WMWA

I always get kinda self conscious when I type the whole 2 CHAAAAIIINZ thing. Like, is there a certain amount of A's and I's I should use? Was it a Z or an S on the end? These are things I need to know.

On a more serious note, I just can't get into 2 Chainz. He's been ruining mad Kanye songs for me lately. =\