Bass or Guitar?

way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By way

I have both a Bass and Guitar, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to master.

I know this sounds weird, but I like the feeling of the Guitar better because I became sort of a masochist when it comes to sinking my left hands into the thin strings.

The Bass is heavier but I never have to worry about dropping the pick and you don't have to replace the strings as much.

Help?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

guitar becuase you will get more girls at partys .

CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CursaKuma
turbomonkey138 said:
"guitar becuase you will get more girls at partys . "
sexond that 

second***
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002

Bassists are by far the coolest people in a band. They are rock solid, and if not very good, can break the whole band. As a drummer, I have a distinct dislike of Lead Guitarists, or at least the ones I know, for being extremely up their own arses and thinking they are the best thing under the sun. Having said that though, they are both very good instruments, and I'd say master both, yet master Bass first, for there are less bassists and its much easier to make an impact and get involved with bands etc. as a bassist rather than a guitarist. If you plan on writing songs, then DEFINATELY master both as Bass is often reduced to bars of one notes and changing, yet not even the best guitarsolo in the world can beat a funky bassline.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By JonathanMoore

Guitar, no doubt.

-- God Bless.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Bass!

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Master the Skin Flute and the Guitar.

SoFuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SoFuLL

Guitar : best way to pick up chicks:)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

Bass. Songs would sound shit without bass, but everyone seems to overlook that part of the band.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kmdrkul

1.  Bring girl home.
2.  Plug bass in.
3.  Sit girl on amp.
4.  Smile.

In all seriousness though, good bass players that can really play and not just repeat the same thing for every song are godly. 

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lashe

Guitar. The theory you learn will be absolutely beneficial to bass should you choose to pick it up later on. Once you have the theory on either instrument it will help learn the other, however the number of techniques used in guitar is far more extensive.

Guitar (should you choose to learn it properly) is also a natively treble clef instrument which is a good standard to have - it would be illogical for a pianist to learn bass clef or 'left hand' first.

Just avoid tab at all costs. It might seem like an easy method at first but it will take far longer to 'master' the instrument if you can only work from tab. I would go so far as to say it is impossible to 'master' without being able to understand notation and music theory.

Please note here that I've been playing both instruments for 8 years now and have completed all ABRSM exams in both - I know what I'm talking about. Although I wouldn't consider myself as to have 'mastered' either, and would question anyone who considered themselves to have mastered an instrument.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGremp

I personally love the sound of bass, and like the role of the bassist as well.  I don't really plan on learning guitar, because I've noticed that at least 90% of the lead guitarists I know are full of themselves, and I would rather not join them.

I'm also not a fan of being in the spotlight, so it's all good.  Note that if you play bass, you will, without a doubt, be overlooked constantly.  Most of my friends that aren't musicians can't even hear the bass line in most songs, so don't expect to get all the attention at gigs.

So if you're just in it for the girls, (like many lead guitarists are these days) Go for guitar, if you want to make good music, choose whichever you prefer.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jesus

try to do both

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bonesofwar

So you are deciding which one to "master"...your post makes it sound like you are the kind of person who doesn't take music seriously.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jesus

to add to my post... by learning both... you can start writing music... and I'm telling you... thats the most fun part... try giving singing a go to if you don't

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolverine

Master guitar first because it is easier to pick up bass later once your good at guitar.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GnaTSoL

Go with the guitar first. As you master that, you supposedly, slightly unlock the doors to mastering bass cause your skills on a guitar should translate well to a bass.

Do this and conquer both, like I'm trying to do.

Conquer both and you unlock the gold-plated doors to mastering THE GREAT KEYTAR! Then you're ballin. :P

Stingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stingray

Don't pick an instrument based on which one feels better in your hands, or how often you have to change strings, chose your instrument based on what kind of role you want to be when you play/create music. If you enjoy being the foundation of music, where melody takes a step back compared to rhythm and groove, then take up bass. However, if you prefer melodic sounds and prefer to be 'the icing on top of the cake' then take up guitar. Both instruments obviously have elements of melody and rhythm respectively, but they both have different focuses. I'm a bass player that also knows how to play guitar and I can say from experience that its far more difficult to master the role of the bassist than the lead guitarist; btw when I say 'bassist' i don't mean like the lame pop bassist like pete wentz, I mean someone who knows how to own their bass, like Flea, Geddy of Victor Wooten.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ

The Bass would be my pick, but dont let my choice influence yours. But you have problems with your bass strings breaking? I always had that problem when i was learning the Guitar (It was always the last string).

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By diz

Bass

But! - Bass strings still break often and your ends of your r/h fingers will get sore from all the plucking. Plus the  amp gear is usually bigger and heavier to lug about.

Still bass though - good guitarists are ten-a-penny.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shotaro
diz said:
good guitarists are ten-a-penny
Give a guitarist a bass, a couple of weeks and some hot plates to give them callouses on their right hand and they will be reasonable bassists (Just simple stuff mind no slapping/popping or anything)

Give a  bassist a guitar, a couple of weeks and a handful of plectrums and they will be reasonable guitarists (Just very simple guitar riffs but still it's true)

My honest advice is learn both, the skills are VERY transferable and the more you play the better the feel you will get for the instrument.  Also the quality of the guitar/bass makes a huge difference.  If you get a £200 guitar and a £100 bass the difference in quality will be noticable.
PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PowerSerj
way said:
"I have both a Bass and Guitar, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to master.I know this sounds weird, but I like the feeling of the Guitar better because I became sort of a masochist when it comes to sinking my left hands into the thin strings.The Bass is heavier but I never have to worry about dropping the pick and you don't have to replace the strings as much.Help?"
Whichever one you pick, you better be willing to spend the next decade trying to "master" it. Seriously, be realistic and don't have high hopes of even becoming really good at either one unless you spend a shitload of time practicing.
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By diz

Shotaro, I was coming at it from the angle of more people playing guitars than bass in general (for good reason), therefore good bass players to be rarer in my experience.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Bass: for people who really love the theoretical part of music

Guitarists: people who really likes the groupie part of music.

Long story short, I'm a guitarist.

But become a bassist, the world needs good bassists!

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By subject2change

Bass; everyone and their mother picks guitar, you'll have more band opportunities as a bassist.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive

bass, because its way more fun. their are so many different ways to play it and everyone loves a good bass player, they are hard to come by.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Gunner
Wolverine said:
"Master guitar first because it is easier to pick up bass later once your good at guitar. "
this.
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By REDRUN
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By JJOR64

I wish I knew how to play a guitar like this kid:

The closest thing to playing a real guitar is Guitar Hero for me.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Arkthemaniac
I'd have to say that bass can help just as much with theory as guitar, if not more. Bassists usually play the roots of the chord, so you'd probably learn harmonic progression better. I wouldn't know, because I don't play guitar, but am going into college specifically for bass. I guess it depends on which you think sounds cooler. This? Or this? (sure, the bass video is very distorted, but COME ON. It's BOOTSY, BABY!

I love both Bootsy and Hendrix, but the bass can groove like a guitar can't. A guitar, on the reverse, has the higher end that can really move people, as well as having clearer chord distinction. Also, there's a ton of ways to play the bass. Looking at two electric guitarists, let's say . . . Pete Townshend (The Who) and Kim Thayil (Soundgarden), which come from fairly different bands, you'll see a lot of similarities in their sound. If someone has a better divide of guitarists that I don't know, then please, speak up. But, when you look at BOOTSY, BABY! up there, and compare him to someone like Jaco Pastorius or Michael Manring, or even the fucking psycho Les Claypool or the groovin' James Jamerson (no great vids for him, but just know that he performed on probably 90 percent of the Motown records from the 60s, and is called by quite a few the best there ever was), You'll think they aren't playing the same instrument.

That's why I choose bass. Guitar is cool, so long as you don't get full of yourself over two extra strings, so it just depends on whether or not you want to play the crazy soloes or if you want to groove. Also, if you play with a drummer a lot, they'd thank you if you'd play bass.

Also, as a side note . . . playing bass guitar can and will make you blacker, which is a good thing. You won't be so awkward when you dance.
JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JazzyJeff

I say bass because we need more bass players in the world. :)