#1 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2049 posts) -
It's starting to look like Warner Bros may hold Christopher Nolan in the highest possible regard, but that in the end, they own their characters and they will decide what they're going to do with them.
After all, we heard much talk this summer about how the Batman franchise was ending, at least as far as the current version is concerned, and I believe that Nolan was serious when he said that was the last story he had to tell about the character. But Nolan is working with Warner Bros. on the "Man Of Steel" relaunch this summer, and as we reported earlier today, director Zack Snyder is starting to hint at the idea that his film is part of a larger continuity.
Certainly, the ending of "The Dark Knight Rises" hints at a possible future for the franchise, and there has been much speculation about whether or not they'll work to connect the end of that film to the larger world of DC properties that Warner is so desperate to create. Over the last couple of weeks, that speculation seems to have turned into conversation, and that conversation seems to be solidifying into a plan.
According to sources, Joseph Gordon-Levitt absolutely will be appearing in "Justice League" as the new Batman.
Now here's where things get interesting. The more insistent the drumbeat has become, the more poking around I've been doing, and it's looking like we may see Gordon-Levitt in the suit earlier than that. They're a long way from filming anything "Justice League" related, but they appear to be solidifying deals for Gordon-Levitt and, potentially, at least one other actor from the Nolan films to do… something.
So let's take what we know and speculate a little bit. How crazy do you think fans would go if Superman were to take to the skies at the end of "Man Of Steel," finally ready to fully accept his role as mankind's most powerful protector, only to have the closing credits interrupted when something catches his attention and he swoops down out of that sky, landing on a rooftop where Jim Gordon stands next to the Bat-Signal, interrupting just as the new Batman arrives for a chat about Gotham's latest problem?
Pretty crazy, I'd wager.
Keep in mind, I'm not saying that will happen at the end of "Man Of Steel." I'm just saying that Warner Bros. has been studying the way Marvel handled their build-up to "The Avengers," and once they've made the decision they've apparently made, why not start laying the groundwork as soon as possible?
More than ever, I'm curious to lay eyes on "Man Of Steel," and to see just what Warner has in mind for the future. It's going to be fascinating.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/exclusive-is-joseph-gordon-levitt-already-set-to-play-batman-in-justice-league#M6olAwlQC5koAa34.99

Well, this all makes sense considering the super comic book-y tone of TDKR and Nolan's heavy involvement at Warner. Personally, I'm a-okay with this because JGL can do no wrong and also fuck another Batman reboot. Anyway, I would guess the 'other' Nolan actor would be Morgan Freeman, seeing as how his character would work extremely well in the context of a Justice League movie.

#2 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

I hope the future of Batman drops the whole Nolan street war soldier thing. I would like to see another rooftop vigilante Batman movie again. BRING BACK THE NIPPLES!

#3 Edited by murisan (1119 posts) -

I absolutely loved TDKR, and Mr. Gordon-Levitt would be a fine replacement as the Bat, but (SPOILERS SUPER OBVIOUSLY)

SERIOUSLY THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW THIS.

.I DONT KNOW HOW TO SPOILER TAG

They called him John Robin. Wouldn't he be Robin? Didn't Mr. Wayne survive the end of TDKR? He reprogrammed the autopilot; I thought he escaped before the bomb (and vehicle) went boom...

#4 Posted by N7 (3570 posts) -

Wow, that sounds pretty cool. I hope they can do it as well as Marvel, even though Captain America and Thor were pretty weak standalones. I hope they do these movies well and not do them just for the sake of tying in with The Justice League. For instance, Green Lantern sucked ass. They have to start over there, or at least I hope so. But since a Nolan is involved with Superman, I hope that he's the thread that will end up tying all of the other movies together. Like he did Batman and now Superman, maybe he can also do The Flash and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, and whatnot else.

#5 Posted by pandorasbox (301 posts) -

The original robin in the comics went on to become batman, so there is plenty of precedence to do something similar with their cannon. I would expect it to be more akin to batman beyond in style.

#6 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2049 posts) -

@murisan said:

I absolutely loved TDKR, and Mr. Gordon-Levitt would be a fine replacement as the Bat, but (SPOILERS SUPER OBVIOUSLY)

They called him John Robin. Wouldn't he be Robin? Didn't Mr. Wayne survive the end of TDKR? He reprogrammed the autopilot; I thought he escaped before the bomb (and vehicle) went boom...

He became Batman. He went to the cave, stood with the bats ala Begins and literally rose up with a sudden cut to "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES" title screen. Also, rebuilt batsignal.

#7 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

He is not Bruce Wayne, he would not have the same relationship with Superman, I just don't think it can be done the right way if you get me.

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15609 posts) -

@murisan said:

.I DONT KNOW HOW TO SPOILER TAG

The name Robin was just an homage to the character of Robin. He is actually going to be the new Batman. It was the one thing I hated as I left the theatre... Robin... Blech. Seriously, just name him Dick Grayson and at least have the continuity make sense. I mean Dick becomes Batman in the comics anyways...

#9 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

@murisan said:

He became Batman. He went to the cave, stood with the bats ala Begins and literally rose up with a sudden cut to "THE DARK KNIGHT RISES" title screen. Also, rebuilt batsignal.

Shit, if they make him the Batman Beyond version, I will see every goddamn movie he's in. That's such a good transition. between that and Skyfall, I'm so stoked for 2013/2014's movies.

#10 Edited by kindgineer (2486 posts) -
Unless it's some sort of Batman Beyond story-arc, does it make much sense for the guy who was hinted to be Robin to play Batman in an upcoming movie? JGL is a great actor, but until I see him don the suit and see his acting skills as Batman, I'll be cautious optimistic.
#11 Posted by Jay_Ray (1009 posts) -

@murisan: You could interpret it that way. Also I think the name Robin was kind of a nod/wink to Dick Grayson without naming JGL's character that. Also Dick does become Batman in the comics a couple of times.

#12 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@murisan: for the record, if you wanna spoiler tag, add a space if the line you are spoilering is on the absolute left; i noticed spoiler tags don't work unless there's a space there.

#13 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

JLG is too hawt to be Batman

#14 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I sincerely hope they don't go the Blake route. It's decent, but Blake has a horrid level of skill. The Batman that goes on JLA shouldn't struggle with taking down regular thugs.

#15 Posted by Wampa1 (592 posts) -

I get the feeling Warner Bros. are going to rush into the JLA movie and fumble while chasing the cash Disney have been raking in. Avengers was a project that was planned before Iron man was even shot. This feels like a project being stitched onto other films that were never intended to fit into a larger more complex (and outlandish) world.

#16 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

Dunno, the ending of TDKR made perfect sense to me without looking at a potential JLA movie.

Either way, meh. I don't think the Avengers was a very good movie and that despite me thinking that those heroes can at least work together. But anything combined with Superman is just laughable. I cannot really imagine a compelling plot, although I'm also not at all into the comics.

I guess I don't really need to care, C. Nolan had his great Batman trilogy and while it's a bit annoying that they'll fuck with the Blake character now that's just minor. The worst would be if C. Nolan was further involved than just Superman now because while I love his Batman trilogy I'd like to see him turn back to his own shit now.

#17 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2049 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo:

Yeah, Begins was all about building up Batman as an immortal symbol, TDKR's ending was simply the realization of that idea.

#18 Posted by Wampa1 (592 posts) -

@rebgav: I do, but i think the key difference was that that project had an entirely separate continuity. Unless I remember it wrong, they had cast a different Batman from Bale. That would be fine, but grafting it onto the more realistic Nolan films just seems silly to me.

#19 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

I would be interested to see JGL as Batman.He has gained quite a big momentum over the past several years.Avengers 2 vs JlA 2015!It will definitely be an epic year.

#20 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

I am more interested in a GLA movie.

Anything that gets me more Squirrel Girl.

#21 Posted by Kalel805 (1 posts) -

Here's how I see a potential sequel to T.D.K.R., would be JGL acting as Gothams "Knight", but not as Batman. Yes we know the bat signal is there, but Batmans a symbol, and you don't have to be Batman to honor that. I see him taking a path were in his mind, he's Nightwing, representing Batman. I'd spend the first sequel having Blake come into his own, as Gothams Knight. They use the bat signal so Gotham believes that Batman is still there. At the end though, he and Gordon find a man running around calling himself Batman, only he is willing to kill... The sequel to that, would have Blake tracking down this "Batman", and come to find out that the man wearing the mask was "Todd". If u remember, Todd had a role in Batman Begins, the little boy who saw Batman in the narrows. He also got caught up in crazy drug clouds that covered the Narrows, sorta messing up his head. With that, when he sees that Gotham is missing Batman, he decides that he should be the one to wear mantle, then decides he's Batman. Obviously, Blake (Nightwing) has to stop him from ruining the legacy of the Batman. Therefore, Blake has to beat him, and to save the legacy, he has to become THE BATMAN, saving Gotham yet again

#22 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

Honestly, I'd rather have JGL be free to be in all the movies in the world rather than tied down to a franchise.

#23 Posted by awesomeusername (4057 posts) -

They want a JLA movie out in 2015. I'm calling it now. If it does come out then, it will be complete SHIT. They are trying to shit out this movie ASAP. There have been rumors that they want to make a JLA movie and depending on the success, they will decide if they want to start making movies for the other characters (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc.)

If they seriously rush it like this instead of making movies for the other characters first, then I hope the movie flops to shit.