• 51 results
#1 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I hope this doesn't count as spam or advertising. This isn't my site, but I just found it and thought it was the best site I've discovered this year.

http://undergroundnewyorkpubliclibrary.com/

It's basically just a page where this guy posts pictures he takes of people reading books on the NYC subway. Street photography has always fascinated me, and so this website got my attention right away. I've just been scrolling down the page and looking at his pictures for a while now. Here are some I liked:

In an age where most people sit with cellphones all the time or listening to music, it's just kind of nice to see that people still read books. I love seeing how they're absorbed in their book even though they're in a loud, crowded subway. I always got a little smile whenever I saw a person reading a book I had read. Even though e-readers and stuff are way more convenient and usually cheaper, I hope physical books exist for as long as possible. There's something special about them that can't be replaced by iPads or Kindles.

So, yea. I like reading. And I also like seeing other people read.

#2 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -

Where's the guy watching the UMD of Van Helsing on his PSP?

#3 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

How to be black?

#4 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I want the book the lady is reading in that photo. I think it would be hilarious to see non black people reading it. Anyway, rule 34 and all.

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Voxel said:

How to be black?

I'd read that book.

#6 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@Mushir said:

Never reading in public again.

#7 Posted by AndrewB (7567 posts) -

@Voxel said:

How to be black?

If you listen to TWiT, you'd have definitely heard about it. It's by Baratunde Thurston. Satirical, since he's a comedian.

#8 Posted by jsnyder82 (730 posts) -

This is why I don't like public transportation. Everybody's taking photos of everybody else on buses and subways and posting them to Facebook like anybody gives a damn. Let me have my privacy and go get yourself a life, people taking pictures.

#9 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Mushir said:

He likes to watch.

#10 Edited by Chrjz (326 posts) -

I wish I could read on subway or in a similarly noisy area; I like to read but find it too distracting in that kind of environment.

Instead I prefer heaphones + Bombcast.

#11 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Mushir said:

He likes to watch.

Oh, you have no idea!

#12 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

I just read the first couple pages of "How to Be Black" on Amazon. This book is definitely going on my Christmas list.

#13 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

Also, I've never got the hang of listening to music whilst reading a book, for me it's either one or the other.

#14 Posted by Clonedzero (4198 posts) -

what kind of creeper takes pictures of people who are reading?

#15 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

Also, I've never got the hang of listening to music whilst reading a book, for me it's either one or the other.

Same here. Not even instrumental music.

@Clonedzero said:

what kind of creeper takes pictures of people who are reading?

It's not against the law. Street photography is an art.

#16 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

That one dude is reading 1984!

#17 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

@kmdrkul said:

I know! That's why I included it. It's my favorite book. On his website there's one of a women reading Animal Farm. Another Orwell book I loved.

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

This is fucking weird.

#19 Posted by Blackout62 (1336 posts) -

@kmdrkul said:

That dude looks like a guy who'd be reading Orwell. He's got the government subversion look to him.

#20 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

No.. apparently it's art.

#21 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I still don't know how people read books on the subway while standing up. I lived in montreal for a couple of months and would always see people holding on to the handle bars for dear life while reading a book. How do they concentrate on what they're reading? Also, one of the picture on that blog had someone reading a heavy hard cover book while walking! It seems very impractical.

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

#23 Posted by Jrinswand (1701 posts) -

I don't know why you guys think that this is so weird. I really enjoy street photography and think that the photographer's idea is a pretty good one.

#24 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

Doesn't mean it can't be weird. I understand how some people think it's weird. I think it's really interesting.

#25 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@Mushir said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

Doesn't mean it can't be weird. I understand how some people think it's weird. I think it's really interesting.

Fine. This is fucking weird.

#26 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

@kmdrkul said:

That dude looks like a guy who'd be reading Orwell. He's got the government subversion look to him.

That's what I thought, except in my head I phrased it as "That guy totally looks like a skinhead."

Sometimes I try to read on the bus, but I'm never able to get into it as well as sitting in a comfy chair.

#27 Posted by jsnyder82 (730 posts) -

@Mushir said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

But do you not think people have a right to privacy? This just seems wrong to me.

#28 Edited by CaLe (3944 posts) -

I'm sorry, but this is better: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

A "random" sample.

#29 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

I usually use music to drown out foreign noise while reading. A lesser evil sort of thing, if that makes any sense.

I find it actually improves my concentration; it decreases my awareness of the outside world -not to a dangerous degree- and it allows me to focus solely on the book.

This is, of course, only in noisy areas like a bus or any other public location. No music at home while reading.

#30 Posted by smokeyd123 (329 posts) -

@jsnyder82: Not in public.

#31 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Last time I read in the subway the book got stolen. Somehow I always get into trouble on the subway, but never on the train. Quality difference I guess.

#32 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -
#33 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

@Mushir said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

But do you not think people have a right to privacy? This just seems wrong to me.

They're sat in a crowded public area reading. If they wanted privacy they wouldn't do that

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -

@benpicko said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@Mushir said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

They're sat in a crowded public area reading. If they wanted privacy they wouldn't do that

?

#35 Edited by jsnyder82 (730 posts) -

@smokeyd123 said:

@jsnyder82: Not in public.

Even in public, you have the right not to have pictures taken of you.

And I'm not saying that it's illegal for somebody to take pictures of you. I know it's perfectly legal to do so. But it doesn't make the photographer any less of a creeper douchebag.

#36 Posted by PenguinDust (12483 posts) -

I don't think it's that weird.

Everyone has some sort of fetish...mine is cute Japanese girls stuffing their faces with food.

Wait, what was the topic again? Photos of people reading on the subway?

Sicko.

#37 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:

@benpicko said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@Mushir said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

?

wut
#38 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@JasonR86 said:

@benpicko said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@Mushir said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@JasonR86 said:

This is fucking weird.

?

wut
#39 Posted by Jrinswand (1701 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Everyone has some sort of fetish...mine is cute Japanese girls stuffing their faces with food.

Who said anything about a fetish? Street photography ≠ fetish

#40 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Voxel said:

How to be black?

I'd read that book.

I think the most important question is why is that not a book you can read in Persona?

You could gain all sorts of charisma.

#41 Posted by medacris (648 posts) -

Street photography isn't creepy if it's a) journalism, or b) you sign a release form and the person says it's okay to release their picture.

I'm glad people still read at all, even if they're reading on a Kindle/Nook/iPad. Even before iPods really got popular, as a kid, I knew people, adults and kids, who never read any kind of book, magazine, newspaper, or anything. "Reading is boring and stupid and I don't care", they said. I became thankful that these people even picked up Twilight or another equally stupid book, because at least they were reading something.

I don't read on the subway, because I get on it so infrequently that I still need to pay absolute attention, I'm worried I'll miss my stop. I haven't been on a plane in a very long time, but I used to wear out my copies of Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes on plane trips as a kid.

#42 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

This is very cool. I spent a little too much time browsing the gallery. It's fun to see the variety of people reading. Some of them go so well with their books, and some of them don't, and that's what is so great. I also like seeing cute girls reading cool things. Kudos to the cutie reading Neruda poetry.

#43 Posted by Blackout62 (1336 posts) -

@zoozilla said:

@Blackout62 said:

@kmdrkul said:

That's what I thought, except in my head I phrased it as "That guy totally looks like a skinhead."

Sometimes I try to read on the bus, but I'm never able to get into it as well as sitting in a comfy chair.

See that's the fine point of it. Bald white guy with glasses: intellectual, creative, possibly radical, possibly Moby. Bald white guy without glasses: Skinhead or Bruce Willis.

#44 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

@Mushir said:

@RazielCuts said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Mushir said:

He likes to watch.

Oh, you have no idea!

#45 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

This is why the Internet is the greatest invention of modern times. The amount of information being stored by people all over the world doing all sorts of things will stay somewhere for as long as we will live, and one day we will be able to look back at today and read what people thought, see what people looked like and hear what they had to say in a way that 30 years ago would have been impossible. This art is just part of the greater art that is the archival of individual moments, billions of times a day on the internet for the world to see, forever.

#46 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6141 posts) -

Damn, that's a pretty cool site. I like the idea that the titles of the books are posted. Neat to see so many classics mixed with modern books.

#47 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

@zoozilla said:

@Blackout62 said:

@kmdrkul said:

See that's the fine point of it. Bald white guy with glasses: intellectual, creative, possibly radical, possibly Moby. Bald white guy without glasses: Skinhead or Bruce Willis.

Then there's also bald white guy with a little hair on the sides: Tobias Funke.

And looking again, the guy in the picture is wearing glasses. My whole world is being turned upside down!

#48 Posted by Blackout62 (1336 posts) -

@zoozilla said:

@Blackout62 said:

@zoozilla said:

@Blackout62 said:

@kmdrkul said:

Then there's also bald white guy with a little hair on the sides: Tobias Funke.

And looking again, the guy in the picture is wearing glasses. My whole world is being turned upside down!

You're interpreting it wrong, bald white guy with a little hair on the sides: Patrick Stewart.

#49 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

I agree. I cant concentrate on reading something while listening to music.

#50 Posted by mlarrabee (2910 posts) -

I like those a lot, and this is relevant.