Posted by BlameGamer (80 posts) -

I'm a new user here at GiantBomb and I absolutely love how the site runs. Ajax here and there, tastefully placed to make the end user have a better experience. It should be a hallmark for how web design is done.

After browsing around the site and filling in my profile, I wanted to start some conversation on the Batman: Arkham City forums, but after a few back and forths I ran into a stinky issue.

Really bummed me out. I can't participate on a site I like, and I'm not told how long I have to wait before I can play with others.

How long is the "high enough post count", who knows?

I'd much rather prefer to enter a captcha code during this "trial" period than be locked out of participation.

What are your thoughts?

#1 Posted by BlameGamer (80 posts) -

I'm a new user here at GiantBomb and I absolutely love how the site runs. Ajax here and there, tastefully placed to make the end user have a better experience. It should be a hallmark for how web design is done.

After browsing around the site and filling in my profile, I wanted to start some conversation on the Batman: Arkham City forums, but after a few back and forths I ran into a stinky issue.

Really bummed me out. I can't participate on a site I like, and I'm not told how long I have to wait before I can play with others.

I'd much rather prefer to enter a captcha code during this "trial" period than be locked out of participation.

What are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

@BlameGamer said:

25 posts.

We have it for good reason.

#3 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

We get enough spam on here as it is.

#4 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

It went away after a day or two for me, but it does suck those first few days.

That said, we get enough annoying troll posts and comments from starting accounts as it is that I still think it's a good policy overall.

You just have to be patient and you'll still be able to have your Arkham City discussion before the game's release.

#5 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -

You should see all of the spam we get here with that post limitation in place.

It's a bummer duder, but we all went through it once upon a time. Think of it as a right of passage. If you can outlive this, you can outlive ANYTHING.

#6 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -

Hiya duder. Don't worry, 25 posts ain't nothin'.

#7 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

You'll have to bear it through the first five days. We know it seems stupid but we've had a period where a reeeeally large number of spam accounts was getting made.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Welcome to the Bomb! While it kinda sucks for legit new users, everybody's spot on about the post limit being a necessity.

While you're waiting for your post counter to reset, might I suggest you peruse the Endurance Runs archive?

#9 Posted by Brendan (7694 posts) -

Yep, definitely sucks for new users, but it's totally necessary for those damn spam accounts. Sorry :(

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

The post count limit is better than CAPTCHA imo. Not all spammers are bots; the limit prevents spam accounts from posting a fuck ton of threads and clogging up the forums.

#11 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (490 posts) -

Blame the spammers. The post restriction is really a good feature that benefits us all in the end.

#12 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I think it may be less than 25 now.

#13 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@N7 said:

You should see all of the spam we get here with that post limitation in place.

It's a bummer duder, but we all went through it once upon a time. Think of it as a right of passage. If you can outlive this, you can outlive ANYTHING.

Not all of us. :)

#14 Posted by SSully (4128 posts) -

This shall pass brother, just stay strong.

#15 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

I never posted enough for this to ever show up. I'm glad it's in place though now I know it's there.

#16 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

@Vestigial_Man said:

I never posted enough for this to ever show up. I'm glad it's in place though now I know it's there.

Let's share this boat we are both in!

#17 Posted by BlameGamer (80 posts) -

So the post limit is 25, eh?

I guess I'll just suck it up then. :) This site is worth it.

#18 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
You'll have to bear it through the first five days. We know it seems stupid but we've had a period where a reeeeally large number of spam accounts was getting made.
Haha, you mean now?
#19 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

And definitely can't be too careful with so many AAA games coming out soon. We don't need some less-than-awesome people spamming topics with spoilers.

#20 Posted by wh1terav3n (656 posts) -

@AyKay_47 said:

@Vestigial_Man said:

Let's share this boat we are both in!

You need a bigger boat, I'm getting it too.