Being able to blur your own vision.

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Please lock.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NegativeCero

If it is a disorder then I'm fucked too. Although I have awful vision so it isn't based on that. Also, what brought this on?

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Zoning out?

Happens to me all the time when a Professor is blathering on and there is no note taking to be done :P

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Neferon

It's done by relaxing the muscles controlling your eye lenses and/or looking off in the distance, like you're looking at something behind your tv/monitor. It usually happens when you're tired or bored. I'm not entirely sure why people do it, some do it more than others. Maybe it's something a way to relax the muscles in your eyes so your vision doesn't deteriorate.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By niall_sg1

Isn't that crossing your eyes? I think everyone can do it.

It useful when you have to spot the differences between two near identical pictures. Cross your eyes and the differences really stand out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@NegativeCero: No, it's no eye problem. I think everyone can do it. I think it's just to relax a part of your vision, though it's not really that relaxing. It makes it so your eyes don't focus on any one thing. I want to know what it's called. I also just wondered, is it possible to get 20/8 vision? Huh. Oh, the reason it came up with it was because I was watching a YouTube video of some Modern Warfare 3 gameplay; I started thinking about the game and not so much on what I was watching, then I noticed my vision blurred the video out, as if my brain didn't want to multitask in a way.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@Niall_Sg1: No, it's not the same thing.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vodun

It's eye cancer, your eyes will slowly pop out of their sockets and be replaced by pussy tumors spewing pus.

gale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gale

I'm pretty sure that's just letting your eyes go out of focus. There's no special name for it, other than any special name given to regular focus mechanisms. You understand that you're constantly focusing and re-focusing your eyesight when you look at things at different distances, right? It's like with a pair of binoculars, or a microscope; the lenses can be perfectly shaped and aligned, but only for a very specific range. Anything else is blurry, until you adjust the focus to fit what you're trying to see.

And yes, as you've found, if you concentrate, it's something you can consciously adjust. Close one eye, and hold a hand in front of your face so it half covers your field of view. If you look at your hand, you can make yourself see it clearly, but everything behind it will be blurry. If you look at the monitor, your hand will go out of focus instead. That's all that's happening when you notice yourself zoning out in front of Uncharted 2. Instead of focusing on the screen, your eyes are relaxing, and looking into the middle distance.

You only really need especially fine control over your focus when looking at stereograms or magic eye pictures. Your eyes try to focus at the distance the 3D illusion presents itself, but you have to force them to adjust to the flat surface of the image, instead. The effort involved is one of the reasons why people complain about 3D effects giving them headaches or eye strain.

This was a way more serious answer than I wanted to give, but oh well.

ETA: And theoretically, yes, it may be possible for some people to focus their eyes independently. Most people can't, for much the same reason that most people can't make their eyes look in two different directions. You kind of treat both of your eyes as a single object, most of the time, and it's exceptionally unusual for people to do otherwise to any significant degree.

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Neferon
Look, pictures!
Look, pictures!
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@gale: Wow. No, I guess I was a little too serious with my post to. I guess I don't want to know what it is in detail since I know why it happens, I just want to know what it's called. And no, actually the reason it happens when I played Uncharted 2 was because for me personally, it was kind of a sign that I was bored with the game and I'd rather focus on something more exciting. For games that bore me, it doesn't blur just an area, it blurs the whole screen. I know I said I don't know why it happens or what it is, but I was just curious for a while. Now I feel kind of stupid. It was a terrible question. I guess that's what I get for waking up and not thinking straight. How do I erase a thread? :P

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By fini_fly
@Neferon said:
Look, pictures!
Look, pictures!
Can't seem to focus on it...
SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

We developed this ability in order to properly see Magic Eyes.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Jams

@SpunkyHePanda said:

We developed this ability in order to properly see Magic Eyes.

I LIKE THIS ANSWER!

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Neferon

@fini_fly said:

Hehehe, I think we all SAW that one coming! *crickets*

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlinkyTM

@Neferon said:

@fini_fly said:

I SEE what you did there.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Synaptic

It's not unusual. Unfocusing your eyes isn't exactly a talent, it's just something no one talks about.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Karl_Boss

When I squint my eyes enough the text gets blurrier.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@BlinkyTM said:

@Neferon said:

@fini_fly said:

What has been seen cannot be unseen :D ... D:

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kazzurak

i can do it on purpose is that weird? also i use glasses normally (can do it both wearing glasses and without)

durailcolvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look, I know exactly what you're talking about I don't believe that the rest of you truly understands what he means when he says "blurring his vision" he means that it goes completely fuzzy and when you look at lights from a distance they have the color of the light surrounded in a rainbow kind of like you're separating the colors? Is that what you mean? Because if so I know what you're going through I've looked and looked and I can't find any REAL answers it frustrates me. It's at will there is no specific time when it just happens for me I can do it whenever, my eyes don't just relax or slowly start to blur its instant. I don't wear glasses and I've always have 20/20 it is something completely unreal, and another thing when I do it I can hear EVERYTHING and I mean everything, sometimes even the electric buzz from an appliance that is turned off or the sizzle in a light bulb, yes everything. I need answers and I want them. I know how you feel.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durailcolvin: What the hell did you search on to find this old ass thread? I really want to know how people find these random threads that are 1-4 years old and always have 1 post.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: Google searches, usually. When you're looking up some obscure question, you'll frequently find threads on forums with strings of 1-post users spaced apart by months or years, asking the same question. It's most common in medical and tech-support questions, I've found.

Zoeytrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zoeytrope

Definitely, absolutely, unquestionably cancer lupus.

unordinarily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By unordinarily

I do this when I don't want to look someone in the eye but want them to think I am.

I am strange?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I do this when I don't want to look someone in the eye but want them to think I am.

I am strange?

Hell, that sounds like a great strategy.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I know it might be early in the judging, but c'mon, this is clearly...

THE BEST POINTLESS NECRO THREAD OF 2013!

Don't let the fun die now folks. I know, with our powers combined, we can keep this going way past a burger debate or an Anita argument. We haven't even scratched the surface of this sexxxy, controversial topic of eye blurring and the ability to or not thereof.

Dig in deep,

blur dat shit.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
No Caption Provided

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShaggE

@joshwent: I'm amazed at how quickly that skill came back to me, having not looked at a Magic Eye in years.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@shagge: Yep magic eye still doesn't fuckin work. What am I looking at here?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Yep magic eye still doesn't fuckin work. What am I looking at here?

Hell if I know, I can just see a 3D shape of something. :P

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

It's called non-refractory divergent, hypermetropic Graves ophthalmopathy with a relative afferent pupil defect.

Don't worry, normal people call it crossing the eyes.

CAVECOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not simply crossing your eyes I've been able to do this since I was a child and I can do it while staring at myself in the mirror. I looked at that brown picture a few posts up and blurred it as well. This is very strange I've never met another person who quite understands what I'm talking about when I describe it so until now I just don't ever bring it up.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old thread bumped by a person with 1 post. The theorem holds true.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Looks like this thread is persistent.

Good thing, too, 'cause if this didn't come back up I never woulda known my vision-blurring powers aren't actually unique.

Avatar image for jeremy_washington_9
jeremy_washington_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: pretty late for a response but I know exactly what your talking about. You can blur your eyes at any point and move around, look at other things like normal but while blurring your eyes right? It feels like the muscles in my eyes are pushing forward or flexing like I would my biceps. For me I believe it make me near sighted as everything in the distance is blurred but things about 4 inches away are clear. The only thing I've found it to be useful when I look at those pictures where it's just black and white lines and you have to shake your head to see the hidden picture I don't need to if I blur my eyes. Anyways I get you unlike most of the comments on here.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would anyone think this was a unique ability? It's just unfocusing your eyes. I do it all the time while drawing from a figure. It helps me look at a scene as areas of light and dark instead of as three dimensional objects.

For real, though, every human with properly functioning eyes can do this. Your eye changes its focal length all the time.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I do this too, I actually started when I was a kid, it was my way of "enhancing the image" that the terminator and or Robocop did, or a sniper scope/binoculars. Good times, I have on occasion thought about it but ya, never heard anyone talk about it.

zg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok people, its not the same as focusing on one thing and blurring everything else out. Its simply blurring EVERYTHING. Near and far. I was just having a convo with people who thought it was strange that I can do this and had to look it up. I have 20/20 vision too. Thats the similarity I've found in all those who have posted that they can blur everything.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

This is a good necro! I sometimes do this (blurring) when there's a disgusting scene in a film or something and I don't wanna turn away completely either :P

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit. This thread is necro'd all the damn time. I count four times. WHY!!??

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb said:

Holy shit. This thread is necro'd all the damn time. I count four times. WHY!!??

It's the first result when you Google "blur your own vision".

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe people think this is a thing. Anyone and everyone is capable of defocusing their eyes.

More interesting question: can anyone else vibrate their eyes back and forth very rapidly such that everything is a blurry mess bouncing left to right? I can do it, I have a couple of cousins who can do it, but otherwise I've never met anyone else who could. Not that I normally go around asking strangers if they can vibrate their eyes back and forth...

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Are you talking about adjusting your focus?

You shouldn't make forum threads when tripping balls...

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#47 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Holy shit, like fucking clockwork with the necros. Also that magic eye picture says China Don't Care.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, cool. I'd forgotten I made that sweet magic eye image for this thread. Necro-mantic!

8TeKeNt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello internet, google brought me here. I was curious why I would have a skill of blurring my eyes. It's not like crossing your eyes I see it like unfocusing but who knows how to explain how to do it. Funny I think of it like eagle vision but of course by ubfocusing its only blurry. 20/20 vision left eye is 20/15 lol learned at Meps and color deficiant. Maybe just a useless skill to do.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@BlinkyTM said:

@Neferon said:

@fini_fly said: