Best Buy Comes To The UK

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

I do not know if this is old news, or if stores have already started opening up, but I just saw a "BEST BUY, A new way to buy Technology! - Coming Soon" the new stores location will be quite near to me. 

I can absolutely say, that I do not want. :( 

Anybody else having a Best Buy store opening up near them? Or is it happening anywhere else in Europe? What do you think? Will you welcome them, or does this anger you?

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By arkasai

Overpriced where I live...everything is 20-200% more expensive than newegg.com 

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By FLStyle

Best Buy Stores

Best Buy, a leading global electronics retailer, launched its first store in the UK in Thurrock on April 30th 2010. This is being followed by Hedge End in Southampton on 28th May and Merry Hill in the West Midlands opening in June. Stores in Aintree near Liverpool and Croydon will open later in the year.

Follow the links below for more information, and check back regularly as we announce more news.

Source: http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/page/custom.aspx?PageName=BestBuy%20Stores
Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sadisticham

Don't care. Unless there cheaper than the rip off that is Currys and the bigger rip off that is PC World I'll continue to shop online for my electronics..where it's at a reasonable price.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By auspiciousqueue

You are all doomed.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Elazul

What the hell kind of multinational corperation opens their first three UK stores in Thurrock, Southampton and the West fucking Midlands?

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By time allen

surely manchester, london and liverpool alone would have been a better opening for best buy.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Elazul said:
" What the hell kind of multinational corperation opens their first three UK stores in Thurrock, Southampton and the West fucking Midlands? "
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By SlowHands
@Sadisticham said:
" Don't care. Unless there cheaper than the rip off that is Currys and the bigger rip off that is PC World I'll continue to shop online for my electronics..where it's at a reasonable price. "
Curry's, PC World and Dixon's are all the same company, I think.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Elazul
@Toms115 said:
" surely manchester, london and liverpool alone would have been a better opening for best buy. "
Absolutely! You have also just proven yourself as a better businessman than whoever the hell is in charge of Best Buy's shabby UK operation.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Elazul said:
" @Toms115 said:
" surely manchester, london and liverpool alone would have been a better opening for best buy. "
Absolutely! You have also just proven yourself as a better businessman than whoever the hell is in charge of Best Buy's shabby UK operation. "
Except, (I can only speak for Southampton here) opening a store in any of those locations costs a fuckton more than it would to open a store in the areas they have chosen, it is highly likely that they have chosen areas with high student populations (students, especially at my university, tend to be dumb and have quite a bit of money) and low setup costs. 

If those stores do well, I suspect the bigger cities will be first on their list for the next set of stores. If it all goes horribly wrong, then they have lost much less than they would have opening a store in London or Manchester. So yeah... 
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
@Elazul said:
" What the hell kind of multinational corperation opens their first three UK stores in Thurrock, Southampton and the West fucking Midlands? "
HOI!
Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sadisticham
@SlowHands:  I knew Dixons was owned by one of those two i didn't realize they was also both owned by the same lot. Does explain a lot though.
lynchtheram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lynchtheram
@dudeglove said:

" What about GAME? I've not been back home in a while, but they haven't gone bankrupt, have they? "

GAME are still going. There's about 4 within 5 miles of me, though granted two are in the same place.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By time allen
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Elazul said:
" @Toms115 said:
Absolutely! You have also just proven yourself as a better businessman than whoever the hell is in charge of Best Buy's shabby UK operation. "
Except, (I can only speak for Southampton here) opening a store in any of those locations costs a fuckton more than it would to open a store in the areas they have chosen, it is highly likely that they have chosen areas with high student populations (students, especially at my university, tend to be dumb and have quite a bit of money) and low setup costs.  If those stores do well, I suspect the bigger cities will be first on their list for the next set of stores. If it all goes horribly wrong, then they have lost much less than they would have opening a store in London or Manchester. So yeah...  "

most of the students i know (and i live in north wales, so i could be completely wrong :P) are relatively poor. unless the suits at best buy decide to cut the costs of products, i can't see student areas being a huge success, as they will more than likely turn to microdirect or dabs, or other such websites, to get their gear.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Elazul
@The_A_Drain said:

" @Elazul said:

" @Toms115 said:
Except, (I can only speak for Southampton here) opening a store in any of those locations costs a fuckton more than it would to open a store in the areas they have chosen, it is highly likely that they have chosen areas with high student populations (students, especially at my university, tend to be dumb and have quite a bit of money) and low setup costs.  If those stores do well, I suspect the bigger cities will be first on their list for the next set of stores. If it all goes horribly wrong, then they have lost much less than they would have opening a store in London or Manchester. So yeah...  "
 While I get your point about rent, those areas cost more because they generate more bussiness, so it wouldn't exactly be wasted money, and especially considering the possible 20% VAT rate we may have in the near future, opening a store of that type anywhere other than rich shopping district would be commercial suicide. Also, all of the students I know (myself included) don't have much money and buy most of their stuff (or at least the stuff Best Buy would stock) online.
mattbirdy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mattbirdy1986

The one in Merryhill Is on the shopping center complex  

that was built from nothing as its out the center and in the middle of dudley and Wolverhampton i guess its cheap rent and easy access

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By I_smell

I saw a GameStop once.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By KaosAngel

Congrats UK, you too can see the epic-ness that us Americans feel every weekend when we walk into a Best Buy.  Now all you need is a Wal-Mart.  :P

No but seriously, Best Buy is pretty sweet for deals once a week or so.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Elazul:  The students that you know don't even equate to a tenth of a percent of all the students in your local area, and trust me, a lot of students can be very very dumb with money.  I know a lot of people who buy stuff online too, but again, it's not the normal for a lot of students. 

Commercial suicide? I doubt it, otherwise they would be doing something different, i'm not talking about base rent either, i'm talking about the whole lot, advertising costs, setup, wages, everything is cheaper in a town like Southampton, so they can use it as a trial run to see if the UK even wants a Best Buy. If it goes badly, they will lose a huge amount more money somewhere like London than they would somewhere like Southampton. 

@KaosAngel:  We have Wal-Mart, or at least I think the company is owned by Wal-Mart, it's called Asda. Not 100% sure.
Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Furyjoell
@Elazul said:
Good fucking question.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove said:
" What about GAME? I've not been back home in a while, but they haven't gone bankrupt, have they? "
Hopefully
EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EthanielRain

Best Buy is generally overpriced, but it's nice to go look at/demo something there in person before buying it online ^_^

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KaosAngel
@Furyjoell said:
" @Elazul said:
Good fucking question. "
Pretend I'm from the States....what are those areas like compared to cities in the USA?
Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Furyjoell
@KaosAngel said:
" @Furyjoell said:
" @Elazul said:
Good fucking question. "
Pretend I'm from the States....what are those areas like compared to cities in the USA? "  
If I knew cities in the states, I could answer your question 

@KaosAngel said:

" Congrats UK, you too can see the epic-ness that us Americans feel every weekend when we walk into a Best Buy.  Now all you need is a Wal-Mart.  :P  No but seriously, Best Buy is pretty sweet for deals once a week or so. "

We have ASDA, ASDA is Wal-Mart, I have a job there :(
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KaosAngel
@Furyjoell said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" Congrats UK, you too can see the epic-ness that us Americans feel every weekend when we walk into a Best Buy.  Now all you need is a Wal-Mart.  :P  No but seriously, Best Buy is pretty sweet for deals once a week or so. "
We have ASDA, ASDA is Wal-Mart, I have a job there :( "
You should never be ashamed of your job!  Be proud you get paid for a day's work.  Hopefully you can work at the new Best Buy and get those fancy discounts! 
Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Furyjoell
@KaosAngel said:
" @Furyjoell said:
" @KaosAngel said:
You should never be ashamed of your job!  Be proud you get paid for a day's work.  Hopefully you can work at the new Best Buy and get those fancy discounts!  "
Nah thankyou, selling things aint for me, I'm better at doing lazy peoples' shopping at stupid o'clock in the morning.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Elazul
@The_A_Drain said:

" @Elazul:  The students that you know don't even equate to a tenth of a percent of all the students in your local area, and trust me, a lot of students can be very very dumb with money.  I know a lot of people who buy stuff online too, but again, it's not the normal for a lot of students. 

Commercial suicide? I doubt it, otherwise they would be doing something different, i'm not talking about base rent either, i'm talking about the whole lot, advertising costs, setup, wages, everything is cheaper in a town like Southampton, so they can use it as a trial run to see if the UK even wants a Best Buy. If it goes badly, they will lose a huge amount more money somewhere like London than they would somewhere like Southampton. "

Okay, you're right in that Southampton makes more sense as a test case because obviously there's less money on the line if it were to go bad, but in terms of pure business numbers and potential profit I'm pretty sure London would've been a better choice overall. It's really the fact that they are opening not one but three "test case" stores within such a short period of time that leads me to believe it's less to do with being cautious and more to do with bad business sense.

@KaosAngel said:
"Pretend I'm from the States....what are those areas like compared to cities in the USA? "
I don't know, Fresno, Detroit and Coney Island?
Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sadisticham
Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Clembo

Good luck competing in a foreign market.  Empire building is harder than it looks.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Elazul
Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sadisticham
@Elazul: 
That good is it? :O Perhaps i could find a reason to head to lakeside. :P
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Elazul
@Sadisticham said:
" @Elazul:  That good is it? :O Perhaps i could find a reason to head to lakeside. :P "
It's really not, especially if you're used to real Mexican food, I just used to go there a lot when I was in the states. I guess It's more nostalgia than anything else, as bizarre as that may sound.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Elazul:  

Since when is one of anything a good sample? Especially from which to judge a multi-million dollar business expansion into a foreign country on. 

That's why they are opening 3... I'm surprised they aren't opening more tbh, but i'm sure they will soon.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Elazul
@The_A_Drain:   

One store seems to be a fine test case for most chains looking to cautiously expand. For example, the aforementioned Taco Bell only seem to be opening one store for now. Although they do have plans to open more over the next year, they likely won't be doing so until the first one proves profitable.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By masternater27
@Furyjoell said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Furyjoell said:
" @KaosAngel said:
You should never be ashamed of your job!  Be proud you get paid for a day's work.  Hopefully you can work at the new Best Buy and get those fancy discounts!  "
Nah thankyou, selling things aint for me, I'm better at doing lazy peoples' shopping at stupid o'clock in the morning. "
Well, you can do what I do at a stateside Best Buy.  Media merchandising.  Basically just organizing and stocking anything games, music, or movies.  As well as managing the inventory of them, maintaining prices etc.  Pretty much never have to deal with people (managers or customers).  Hours are pretty rough though, waking up at 5 am every day is a bummer.  Discount is pretty baller and worth it, assuming the same rules transfer overseas.  Everything is slightly over what the store pays for it.  I'm not legally supposed to go into specifics, but basically when you see electronics at discount stores or whatever for crazy low prices, it's about that but actually brands you've heard of :)
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By swamplord666

I love bestbuy and i'm happy to see it in the uk! I loved coming into bestbuy and having that giddy excitment at all the technology! Hopefully it'll be good

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Buy does have some nice deals, and they do price matching (they'll match any price you find that is cheaper than their price other than websites).  Employees get a HUGE discount.  They get stuff for what it costs Best Buy to buy the item + 10% if I remember correctly.

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EliasT
@Arkasai said:
" Overpriced where I live...everything is 20-200% more expensive than newegg.com  "
I know, it's fucking ridiculous! They made me pay $80 for a Radeon 4350, when you can find a Radeon 4670 on Newegg for $70.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HandsomeDead
@FLStyle said:
" Best Buy Stores

Best Buy, a leading global electronics retailer, launched its first store in the UK in Thurrock on April 30th 2010. This is being followed by Hedge End in Southampton on 28th May and Merry Hill in the West Midlands opening in June. Stores in Aintree near Liverpool and Croydon will open later in the year.

Follow the links below for more information, and check back regularly as we announce more news.

Source: http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/page/custom.aspx?PageName=BestBuy%20Stores "
That Liverpool one is right next to me and it explains the merging of Currys and PC World into one massive superstore. Seems like a weird place for an opening though as it's a long way away from the city centre.