• 73 results
#1 Edited by Vitor (2809 posts) -

So I really enjoyed the Tron legacy soundtrack and have been a big fan of Discovery for a while. Having said that, I found the middle half of Discovery to drag on and far preferred the opening 5 tracks to everything else. With this in mind, is there any album in particular that you guys would recommend? It's the repetition I don't like - while the first 5 tracks reuse a lot of stuff, it at least feels like there's a sense of momentum and that the songs are building to something or at least playing with the themes, something I felt was lacking in the middle of the album and consequently made it a bit of a bore for me. 

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

The only good track is The Game Has Changed, their older stuff is still better. 

Sorry, but my facts aren't opinion in this case.

#3 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

I find it difficult to listen to a whole Daft Punk album in one sitting.  That being said, Homework is by far my favorite.

#4 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

Human After All. Robot Rock can be listened to on repeat but that entire album is pure futuristic gold.

#5 Posted by allenibrahim (377 posts) -

Discovery, like the new Kanye West album, is uplifted by a few amazing tracks. Gotta givie it to Discovery. Tron Legacy's not very Daft Punk.

#6 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

The answer is Discovery.

#7 Edited by sixghost (1679 posts) -

I'm really disappointed by the Tron soundtrack, maybe I was expecting too much for an OST to be as good as their other stuff.

Homework is great. Alive 2007 is amazing as well. I was never really a fan of Human after All on its own. That's really all their music. You can listen to some of the stuff the two have them have done individually, or you can see if you like Danger, Justice or Kavinsky, as those 3 are very similar to daft punk.

#8 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Alive 2007.  That's there best album in recent years.  There best album overall is Discovery.  Every track is perfection personified.

#9 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

Homework

#10 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Discovery.

#11 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Discovery

#12 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Alive 1997, though that isn't exactly an album, just one 45 minute track that is exceedingly awesome. I love "Discovery" a great deal but I think "Homework" still takes it.

#13 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

Consensus seems to be going towards Homework at the moment - might give that a shot next, thanks!

#14 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

Discovery 
Homework closely followed

#15 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Human After All for me.

#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" Alive 2007.  That's there best album in recent years.  There best album overall is Discovery.  Every track is perfection personified. "
This. The Music Sounds Better With You bonus track is the best things they've done since Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger was released as a single.
#17 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@HandsomeDead:  Yep and Stardust was Bangalter's work before he got into Daft Punk with Homem-Christo.  Love that track so much.
#18 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5036 posts) -

I'm quite partial to discovery although I haven't heard the Tron album yet.

#19 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Discovery. I suggest watching Interstella 5555, it might alleviate the monotony you say that you're having.

#20 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

Alive 2007. Especially if you were at any of the Alive concerts.

Ho. 

Ly. 

Shit.

#21 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

This is the track that HandsomeDead and I were talking about

#22 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -
@moelarrycurly said:
" I find it difficult to listen to a whole Daft Punk album in one sitting.  That being said, Homework is by far my favorite. "
This exactly. 

Also, loving the soundtrack.
#23 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: Fuck. Yes.
#24 Posted by Delorean (60 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" Alive 2007.  That's there best album in recent years.  There best album overall is Discovery.  Every track is perfection personified. "
This. The Music Sounds Better With You bonus track is the best things they've done since Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger was released as a single. "
Seconded
#25 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Ugh, i hate when i see topics like this that arent polls. Anyway, Discovery is really the only choice here, it is by far their best work.

#26 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -

Well I think you already have the answer.  

Gotta add, nothing on the Tron Legacy Soundtrack has really grabbed me yet. 

#27 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@one_2nd:  Mhm.
#28 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -
@SumDeus said:
" @one_2nd:  Mhm. "
uhh yeah.. did you listen to it yet? I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing...or just being a dick.
#29 Posted by Gramiero (142 posts) -

It's hard to compare the Tron soundtrack to their other albums, but I wasn't a fan of it.

Alive 2007 and Discovery are their best albums.

#30 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -

I really like the Tron soundtrack, but it's a little too soundtracky to be their best.

#31 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@one_2nd: Yeah, I listened to it a while ago. It was boring me, but I just might've not been in the mood for it.
#32 Posted by Brians (1455 posts) -

The soundtrack is on sale at Amazon mp3 for 3.99 right now till midnight probably.

#33 Posted by Jesus (1116 posts) -

Discovery by far. I can see your points about repetition but I still enjoyed it. I think the experience was better for me when experiencing the album through Interstella 5555. As for the Tron Soundtrack. It's just a soundtrack. I think it's pretty solid but the appeal of a soundtrack only goes so far.

#34 Posted by mithhunter55 (593 posts) -
@aurahack said:
" Alive 2007. Especially if you were at any of the Alive concerts.  Ho.   Ly.   Shit. "
Yeah, its my most listened to of their albums. I wonder if i would love it as much had i not heard there original albums first.  I wish i had been to their concerts, I was scared of concerts at the time. Had a chance to see System of a Down in 2006 and missed it too. Some day I shall see one of them!
#35 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

Discovery is probably the best one 
However my favorite one to listen to is Alive 2007, it's fucking amazing

#36 Posted by GunstarRed (4992 posts) -

Discovery to listen to as a whole. The Tron soundtrack is kinda brilliant in places.
#37 Posted by blackbird415 (777 posts) -

the tron album is out?!?!?!? I need to get it

#38 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -

Discovery was my first foray into Daft Punk.

#39 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -
@Vitor:  

Discovery, without question.
#40 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Discovery, easily.

#41 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -
@Jesus said:
" Discovery by far. I can see your points about repetition but I still enjoyed it. I think the experience was better for me when experiencing the album through Interstella 5555. As for the Tron Soundtrack. It's just a soundtrack. I think it's pretty solid but the appeal of a soundtrack only goes so far. "
Agreed - the visuals helped stave off a lot of the repetition. As far as I'm concerned, that was their first OST, not Tron in a lot of ways.
#42 Posted by Parabole (216 posts) -

Interstella 5555. I liked certain songs and the anime music videos until I found out it was an entire movie.

#43 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Vitor said:
" @Jesus said:
" Discovery by far. I can see your points about repetition but I still enjoyed it. I think the experience was better for me when experiencing the album through Interstella 5555. As for the Tron Soundtrack. It's just a soundtrack. I think it's pretty solid but the appeal of a soundtrack only goes so far. "
Agreed - the visuals helped stave off a lot of the repetition. As far as I'm concerned, that was their first OST, not Tron in a lot of ways. "
Not really.  They did a movie before Interstella 5555, it was largely about Tomatoes.
#44 Posted by jlev880 (204 posts) -

I personally love every track on Discovery, Human After All was decent but just didn't leave the same feeling that Discovery did.  Homework is pretty awesome too.

#45 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

If Alive 2007 counts, that.  Their best standard album is Discovery, hands down.  There's really no argument.

#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10261 posts) -

Discovery is their best studio album, but Alive 2007 is most definitely worth listening to. 

#47 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow: Really? I had no idea, Limited Daft Punk knowledge to be honest here, hence the thread.
#48 Posted by EnchantedEcho (738 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
" Discovery Homework closely followed "
#49 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Vitor said:
" @SeriouslyNow: Really? I had no idea, Limited Daft Punk knowledge to be honest here, hence the thread. "
D.A.F.T.
#50 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -
@Vitor:  

ok I've got to crack my knuckles and really settle into this one because it's something I've thought about for a long, long time. 

My favorite Daft Punk album is Alive 2007. I know it might seem weird to pick a non-studio album as their best but I really feel like it's their most-realized version of what they've tried to do. After the tepid response to Human After All I think a lot of people were unsure if they could deliver a new album as good as Discovery or even Homework. I think a lot of people still hold Discovery as their greatest achievement. Alive 2007 sounds, to me, like what Human After All should have been. They took some of the lesser tracks from that album and breathed new life into them. In addition, they took older songs like Around the World and Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger and transformed them into something completely new and exciting. This album has shown me that Daft Punk understand the mechanics of their music so completely. It's an incredible experience. I'm obviously a huge fan and I must have listened to hundreds of hours of Daft Punk over the last ten or more years. Alive 2007 is a dense, complex, but incredibly potent piece of music.  

Runner up: Discovery.