#1 Posted by LocoRocker (210 posts) -
#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Band of Brothers is awesome, but I still need to wathc The Pacific.

#3 Posted by Jimbo (9711 posts) -

Tour of Duty is the only 'nam series that springs to mind, but I don't recall ever seeing anything after the Paint it Black intro.

The Pacific is boring as fuck.  Band of Brothers is incredible.  Generation Kill was alright, but way too navel gazey.

#4 Edited by mrfizzy (1464 posts) -

Loved Band of Brothers and Generation Kill, the Pacific wasnt as good but i cant agree with people who say it was a terrible piece of crap. I have crazy fond memories of Tour of Duty coz they replayed every ep on tv here a few years ago, it was on at like 11.30 every night and id tape it whenever i could.   

EDIT: If you are looking to find Tour of Duty, see if you can somehow get the original TV version (no idea how you would do it legally but anyway). The original TV version had a ton of 60's-70's licenced music, by the time they came to release the series on dvd those licenses had expired so they were replaced with generic no name music. nowhere near as good! 

#5 Posted by Impossibilium (679 posts) -

Over There wasn't a mini-series. It was a full series that only got one season.

#6 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
@mrfizzy said:

" Loved Band of Brothers and Generation Kill, the Pacific wasnt as good but i cant agree with people who say it was a terrible piece of crap. I have crazy fond memories of Tour of Duty coz they replayed every ep on tv here a few years ago, it was on at like 11.30 every night and id tape it whenever i could.   "

I agree with you, The Pacific is not as bad as people make it, I think. I believe a lot of people were just expecting another Band of Brothers, but they have to realize that the war in the Pacific was fought very differently than the one that took place all over Europe, and that comes across in the series. Band of Brothers is still better, of course, but The Pacific is also really good, in my opinion.
#7 Edited by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -

I can't recall the name of it, but there was a BBC series about a group of guys that came home and through various reasons ended up joining a PMC and going back. The series followed the arch of that PMC and an old medic dealing with life and family troubles at the same time. I found it on netflix.ca and loved it, but sadly I can't remember the name of it. If you can find it though, I highly recommend it. 

EDIT: Got it! It's called Occupation.
#8 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

That seems like a narrow category. If you also included movies in your search, you would get a lot more hits.

#9 Posted by RTSlord (1195 posts) -

band of brothers
#10 Posted by Empirepaintball (1385 posts) -

Not only is Band of Brothers the best war miniseries' ever, if it was one huge movie it would be my favorite.

I loved the characters, I loved the action, I LOVE IT ALL.

#11 Posted by JeanLuc (3525 posts) -

I watched and enjoyed The Pacific, but it can't hold a candle to Band of Brothers.

#12 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5804 posts) -

The A-Team!  War!  It's fantastic!

#13 Posted by happyfatman (148 posts) -

Band of Brothers is my favorite of the ones I've seen (The Pacific being the other).  My issue with The Pacific is the fact that it tried to focus more on the personal lives of the characters rather than the big picture, which I think made it more boring than Band of Brothers.

#14 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Band of Brothers is much much much much better than The Pacific.  The characters, action, story are just all better. 

That said there's some good scenes in The Pacific but I found the cast very unlikable, especially the dickweed that portrayed Snafu. He can go get bent.

#15 Posted by LocoRocker (210 posts) -
@happyfatman said:
" Band of Brothers is my favorite of the ones I've seen (The Pacific being the other).  My issue with The Pacific is the fact that it tried to focus more on the personal lives of the characters rather than the big picture, which I think made it more boring than Band of Brothers. "
I agree, it should have concentrated more on the conflict and the relationships between the soldiers

@crusader8463
said:
" I can't recall the name of it, but there was a BBC series about a group of guys that came home and through various reasons ended up joining a PMC and going back. The series followed the arch of that PMC and an old medic dealing with life and family troubles at the same time. I found it on netflix.ca and loved it, but sadly I can't remember the name of it. If you can find it though, I highly recommend it. 

EDIT: Got it! It's called Occupation. "
awesome, i'll check it out!
#16 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Some day I'm going to watch Band of Brothers.

#17 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

I like "Danger , UXB" a WW2 BBC miniseries available on YouTube.

#18 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4678 posts) -
#19 Posted by Ishoturface (421 posts) -

Band of brothers is the best.

#20 Posted by teh_destroyer (3557 posts) -

The obviousness of Band of Brothers, I haven't gotten around to seeing the Pacific yet as its at the bottom of my netflix dvd que somewhere.........

#21 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

It's probably hard to find these days, and it won't compare to modern "gritty" war dramas, but for epic scope and star power, I really enjoyed "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance".  The first one is 15 hours long and the second is 25 hours long.  The two mini-series cover one extended family's involvement in the Second World War from before Hitler's invasion of Poland to the Japanese surrender.  Practically all theaters of conflict are depicted and every major event from start to end.   

For Vietnam, I don't think there are any mini-series, but there was the TV series Tour of Duty and China Beach.  I prefer the latter even though it has much much less fighting in it.  It's about a battlefield aid-station similar to MASH, but a little better constructed.  The plot is centered around army nurse Colleen McMurphy and her struggles during the bloody conflict.  I think the characters had more depth in China Beach.  When some died (and some do) I felt it deeply.  Of course, all of these met US broadcast standards, which Band of Brothers and The Pacific do not need to follow since they're premium cable shows. 

#22 Edited by Venatio (4485 posts) -

I really like both Generation Kill and Band of Brothers very much, they both represented their time periods well 

The Pacific is okay

#23 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

Band of Brothers is the only one I've finished watching. Tried watching The Pacific, but it's not good at all.

#25 Posted by Contro (2040 posts) -
#26 Edited by Esten (143 posts) -

Band of Brothers is easily the best one out there, with Generation Kill as a close second. If you'd ever want to try an another kind of Mini-series, I do recommend John Adams. My second favorite miniseries, after BoB.

#27 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

The Civil War by Ken Burns.

#28 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -

Generation Kill and The Pacific were both very good miniseries, but none can stand against Band of Brothers. It was just epic.

#29 Posted by LocoRocker (210 posts) -
@ptc said:
" The Civil War by Ken Burns. "
aaah, the ken burns effect! :) 

@Esten said:
" Band of Brothers is easily the best one out there, with Generation Kill as a close second. If you'd ever want to try an another kind of Mini-series, I do recommend John Adams. My second favorite miniseries, after BoB. "
John Adams sounds interesting, I'll check it out
#30 Posted by Bucketdeth (7983 posts) -

I've only watched Band of Brothers which I bought on Blu-ray (Looks amazing) and was a great mini-series. There were one or two episodes I found a little on the less interesting side but it's a fine piece of work.

#31 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3032 posts) -

The only one I've ever seen is Band of Brothers. 

#32 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -
#33 Posted by Example1013 (4750 posts) -
@PenguinDust: Didn't he also do one on WWI or WWII? I feel like he did...
#34 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Loved both Band of Brothers and Generation kill 

while not a war series might i suggest the John Adams mini-series

#35 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

Band of Brothers is the best, but I enjoyed the Pacific more due to my family's history with Marine Corp.

#36 Posted by EpicSteve (6444 posts) -

Generation Kill is amazing. Every scene is like a giant inside joke for people in the military. I don't know any civilians that enjoy it though. Band of Brothers is king though. Hands down. Top quality in every regard. 

#37 Posted by Soapy86 (2599 posts) -

Band of Brothers is incredible.  

Generation Kill made me feel very uncomfortable watching it and if it's what being in the military is really like it also made me lose much respect for them. 

#38 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -
@example1013 said:

" @PenguinDust: Didn't he also do one on WWI or WWII? I feel like he did... "

World War II back in 2007.  It was shorter than his more well known works (Civil War, Baseball, Jazz) so it's probably easier to forget about it.  Plus, there's so much on the Second World War that even a project from him could get lost among the deluge.  Ken Burns' The War.  PBS Extended Video Preview
#39 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5118 posts) -

Band of Brothers by far.