• 81 results
#1 Posted by IamNOTatalkingpony (264 posts) -

Just thought I'd see how the UK users are coping with the snow that's hit. I recently moved here from the tropics so I'm FUCKING FREEZING!!! Although school closing is quite fun (:

#2 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I dont understand how im supposed to respond to this. 

ermmm, Yes?

#3 Edited by SubwayD (538 posts) -

Big freeze? Pfft! Ain't no thang compared to last year.  
Things better get a whole lot worse if it want's to be considered a "big" anything. Right now it's just a pitiful dusting of snow!

#4 Posted by WanderingBear (84 posts) -

I got a day off work so i'm happy.

#5 Posted by RoboRobb (1053 posts) -

I hate snow. Luckily it's not as bad as last year....yet.

#6 Posted by FLStyle (4842 posts) -

Someone told me that a relative of theirs who lives in South Africa said that the South African news reported that the UK is bracing itself for its coldest December on record.

Another thing the government is not telling us then.

#7 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

The news are making a huge deal about nothing. 

That being said, I don't know how I'm going to walk to work in this blizzard.

#8 Posted by hunkaburningluv (568 posts) -
@SubwayD said:
" Big freeze? Pfft! Ain't no thang compared to last year.  Things better get a whole lot worse if it want's to be considered a "big" anything. Right now it's just a pitiful dusting of snow! "

we've got about a foot of snow up here - pretty bad. 

My workplace had ground to a halt - (I'm a community nurse) all non-essentiall home visits were cancelled and we had to push a few cars out of the car park. It's that bad today I had to take a snow day - which will probably go down as annual leave. 
#9 Posted by IamNOTatalkingpony (264 posts) -
@SubwayD said:
" Big freeze? Pfft! Ain't no thang compared to last year.  Things better get a whole lot worse if it want's to be considered a "big" anything. Right now it's just a pitiful dusting of snow! "
You better be joking, I'M IN BED AND I'M COLD! 
Guess I'll have to get used to this sort of thing now.
#10 Posted by hunkaburningluv (568 posts) -
@FLStyle said:
" Someone told me that a relative of theirs who lives in South Africa said that the South African news reported that the UK is bracing itself for its coldest December on record.  Another thing the government is not telling us then. "
it's been on the news up here mate - they are saying it could go down to -20 by the end of the weel
#11 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@IamNOTatalkingpony said:
" @SubwayD said:
You better be joking, I'M IN BED AND I'M COLD! Guess I'll have to get used to this sort of thing now. "
... then shut your window and turn the heat on.
#12 Posted by JBird (490 posts) -

Im loving it. I live on a phat hill so if i wanna go somewhere i walk! the snow is super deep and its still snowing. and its awesome. Lets just hope that its driveable in time for christmas!
#13 Posted by IamNOTatalkingpony (264 posts) -
@MysteriousBob:  
I have, getting used to this weather's a bit tricky that's all. 
Is it okay to wear socks in bed or is that nasty?
#14 Edited by Jasta (2217 posts) -

The one time of year my dogs don't look completely out of place. Its funny seeing them re-introduce themselves to it each year.

It's gotten a few inches deeper since yesterday and I found this icicle hanging from my bedroom window this morning. Car won't get out of my street (live at the bottom of a hill) and the local shops shelves are looking a little bare. Great!

#15 Posted by Sirico (53 posts) -

Meanwhile in Yorkshire........    
#16 Posted by IamNOTatalkingpony (264 posts) -
@Jasta:  
Holy Halibut your dogs look awesome!
#17 Posted by MikeinSC (910 posts) -
@IamNOTatalkingpony said:
" Just thought I'd see how the UK users are coping with the snow that's hit. I recently moved here from the tropics so I'm FUCKING FREEZING!!! Although school closing is quite fun (: "
I bet, somehow, this is caused by global warming. Sure it's logically inconsistent, but that has never slowed down that religion.
#18 Posted by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -
@SubwayD said:
 I'm guessing you're from the south, since they haven't had much snow down there. Here in the north east it's quite a bit worse than it was last year. We've had more snow, and rather than all coming down mostly at once like it did last year, it has been snowing on and off for nearly a week now, which makes it far worse.
@FLStyle said:
" Someone told me that a relative of theirs who lives in South Africa said that the South African news reported that the UK is bracing itself for its coldest December on record.  Another thing the government is not telling us then. "
It's pretty obvious that we're on track for a cold winter. With us having such heavy snowfall so early, all the heat in the ground from summer is now gone much earlier than usual. The government doesn't need to tell us, it's simple logic.
#19 Posted by hunkaburningluv (568 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" @SubwayD said:
 I'm guessing you're from the south, since they haven't had much snow down there. Here in the north east it's quite a bit worse than it was last year. We've had more snow, and rather than all coming down mostly at once like it did last year, it has been snowing on and off for nearly a week now, which makes it far worse.
@FLStyle said:
It's pretty obvious that we're on track for a cold winter. With us having such heavy snowfall so early, all the heat in the ground from summer is now gone much earlier than usual. The government doesn't need to tell us, it's simple logic. "

North east england or Scotland? 

It's terrible up here outside Glasgow - it's a blizzard right now!
#20 Posted by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -
@hunkaburningluv: North East England. I should have been more clear about that.
#21 Posted by hunkaburningluv (568 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" @hunkaburningluv: North East England. I should have been more clear about that. "

you guys are getting pumped with the weather! It's still heavy up here -we've had at least a foot and a half of snow, which is far out with what we get normally.
#22 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@MattyFTM: Dude... no. I live in East Lothian and its been pretty fucking mental here, but it still doesn't compare to last year. 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/05/uk-faces-coldest-winter-weather     

@SubwayD said:

This is what I was thinking. Last year we had absolutely MENTAL weather; the snow lasted for weeks and it was much worse than it is now. 

People don't seem capable of remembering what they had for dinner, let alone what happened a year ago. 

The media will continue to cling onto this, too. Fear sells, people!
#23 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) -

It's an hour and a half commute into Uni for me, and with intermittent train cancellations I'm pretty worried that I'll miss one of my exams.

#24 Posted by intoblivion (314 posts) -

I saw a bus slide over somebodies lawn, its was crazy awesome

#25 Posted by Hooded (435 posts) -

Its not too bad here (Coventry, West Midlands) but its still snowing every day. Got to walk to work today. Hopefully it all clears up in a couple of weeks.

#26 Posted by CookieMonster (2442 posts) -

I couldn't get to my university interview today. Hopefully they'll have time to re-schedule it.

#27 Edited by Falx (347 posts) -

This is why we have been stereotyped to only ever talk about the weather. Also, yeah snows pretty deep, good job Uni is a 5 minute walk.

#28 Edited by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -
@hunkaburningluv said:

" @MattyFTM said:

" @hunkaburningluv: North East England. I should have been more clear about that. "
 you guys are getting pumped with the weather! It's still heavy up here -we've had at least a foot and a half of snow, which is far out with what we get normally. "
I live right by the coast, which always gets less snow than area's further inland, so it's not too bad here, but we've still had a lot of snow.  

@GetEveryone

said:

" @MattyFTM: Dude... no. I live in East Lothian and its been pretty fucking mental here, but it still doesn't compare to last year. 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/05/uk-faces-coldest-winter-weather  "

It obviously varies from place to place, but here it is most definitely worse than it was last year.
#29 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Snows pretty tame round here at the moment (Rutland, england) but god damn me the temperature is fucking atrocious!  

It probably seems worse because this house has no heating or double glazing but believe me right now my bed is actually the coldest place in the house  - and i managed to burn my hand when my hot water bottle splurted boiling water over me - haha! 

But yeah, soon as the heat comes back ill be happy, the snow aint an issue, its the fucking temperature! 

#30 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

Last year was worse because it snowed, rained, then froze over. I remember sliding out of the car park at work sideways because it was so icy. 

#31 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

How long till everything collapses again?

#32 Posted by GS_Dan (1406 posts) -

Newcastle is a bit chilly at the mo'.

#33 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I think all the snow in Cornwall's passed now, it's still pretty icy, but that's about it.

#34 Posted by dudeglove (8150 posts) -

Not to sneer, but it's always amusing with the UK whenever it snows - even by a tiny amount. The whole of the UK considers it the friggin' apocalypse.

#35 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -

The hill I need to walk down to get to the shops is covered in snow and ice like the rest of the campus. I guess I'll need to go down there at some point to avoid starving. Otherwise I'm enjoying the snow.

#36 Posted by Meltbrain (2975 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" @SubwayD said:
@FLStyle said:
It's pretty obvious that we're on track for a cold winter. With us having such heavy snowfall so early, all the heat in the ground from summer is now gone much earlier than usual. The government doesn't need to tell us, it's simple logic. "
Yarp. You guys in the south can't really speak for the severity of this weather. Up here in the north east it's pretty gnarly. I honestly thought it would have started melting yesterday, if not today. It doesn't look like it's going to go away anytime soon.
#37 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" Not to sneer, but it's always amusing with the UK whenever it snows - even by a tiny amount. The whole of the UK considers it the friggin' apocalypse. "
Well perhaps its because we're not used to it. If this was say... Canada- then yeah. Of course we would be prepared.
#38 Posted by dagas (2901 posts) -

I had to walk to school in -21C here in Sweden. You Brits close your schools just because it's cold and snowy? 

#39 Posted by fetchfox (1338 posts) -

The UK has never been known for handling and controlling snowfall. Not mocking, just stating. But on another note, what are the expected lowpoints in the UK this winter, or how could does it usually get?

#40 Posted by Lumley (963 posts) -

It's pretty bad for me in the North East. On the plus side I've got a day off college though :) 

#41 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

Preston Lancashire here. Barely a sprinkle. It's snowing right now but not very heavy at all. It's still super cold though.

#42 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

No snow here :(

Fucking colder than a nun's cunt, though.

#43 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

Durham, it's absolutely fucking it down as we speak. We have about 8 inches at its lowest point.  

I can't leave the house :(

#45 Posted by dudeglove (8150 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @dudeglove said:
" Not to sneer, but it's always amusing with the UK whenever it snows - even by a tiny amount. The whole of the UK considers it the friggin' apocalypse. "
Well perhaps its because we're not used to it. If this was say... Canada- then yeah. Of course we would be prepared. "
That's pretty much it, in fact. What differs the UK from Canada/the Alps/anywhere else snowy is that the gritting trucks they use tend to only be rolled out once a year. For the rest of that time they just sit in depots, only to suddenly need maintenance when they're actually required. Canada et al. have their machines working all year round for purposes other than clearing/gritting snow (carrying maple syrup or something mundane, maybe).
#46 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Anyone from Newcastle? Because it's freezing here. I had to wait half an hour in the cold for the bus to uni, got there and got told my seminar was cancelled because the lecturer's garage had collapsed due to the weight of the snow.

#47 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

There's hardly been any snow here in Portsmouth, there's meant to be lots tonight though. It's still so cold here though.

#48 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

Well I'll be damned. The only food I have in my flat is half a pizza, and it's snowing pretty hard now. Might venture to Iceland in a bit...

#49 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -
@Jonny7892: Haha, that's fantastic. I would just head home. Newcastle got hit by snow storms last night didn't it? 
#50 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I'm in the West Mids and it's been a good amount of snow I think! Not enough to bring things to a stand still but enough to make snowthings out of! 

Also a lot of people are saying that it's not as bad as last year. Hasn't it started earlier this year though? I wonder if it will get worse than last year because of that if it has.