#1 Edited by Chemystery (214 posts) -

College just started up for me again and I was curious what class was the best blow off class for you guys and gals? This semester I have Horticulture 101, it's so easy that it turns into a web class halfway through because the professor knows students stop coming. It's my earliest class of the day too so that is pretty great.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35783 posts) -

So you're going to college so you can skip classes?

#4 Edited by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

I never went to class, that is what friends are for, they went to class and told me what to study. Going to class is pointless, professors just pull examples from the textbooks anyway so i just stayed at home and did the examples on my own, nice and comfortable.

Worked well, graduated with a 3.6 in Mechanical Engineering. I only went to class for tests and quizzes, sometimes i would show up just to see what was going on but even then i would leave in 20 minutes.

#5 Posted by mosespippy (3973 posts) -

In my first semester it was intro to Micro Economics. The professor was very slow. It took him 45 minutes out of a 50 minute class to return our midterms to a class of 60 people. There was no time left to go over the exam so class ended early and we did it next time. It's not exactly the most complicated subject either. It's basic algebra. I made sure to miss between one and two of the three classes each week.

#6 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

Almost all of them. Even when I do goo to class I hardly ever pay attention. It's much more effective for me to just read the textbook and learn things at my own pace.

#7 Edited by Ben_H (3290 posts) -

For me it was a discrete math class last term. The professor was awful to begin with, and all his lecture consisted of was reading through and doing examples he already had posted on powerpoints, so he would be like "here's this example", he would do the example, and then on the next slide would be the entire solution step by step, making that 20 minutes he took to slowly do an example redundant. There was no point in going to the class ever other than to do exams or hand in assignments. About only a quarter of the class showed up on a good day. I would go if I was at the university anyway, but outside of that I just used that hour and a half as time to do other work. The class was one of those "weed out" classes so roughly half the class failed. I had this guy for two classes so I ended up stopping going to the other one too, but only for the last month or so. I did not write nice things about him in my course evaluations. I wasn't mean, just that I thought that either he needs to completely redo his lectures or someone else needs to teach the classes.

This term all of my classes have actual good lecturers who know how to teach, so I am going to them all (well that, and that the one class is supposed to be pretty tough as is, and you have to know his examples in order to do assignments). It also helps that they are all in a row, except for an hour break I use for lunch, so I don't have to waste a couple hours between classes. I never get any work done at school so I try to minimize the space between classes. It's too distracting to work there.

#8 Edited by JadeGL (696 posts) -

For me it wasn't a specific class, but a specific professor. I had a professor for two separate English classes that was so easy compared to the other professors I had. We had to keep a journal of the assigned reading, as well as what we heard presented to the class by other students of what they were reading. This was something that was very easy to keep up with, it mainly seemed like busy work considering it was pretty much replacing formal writing assignments. On top of that, the presentations were pretty laid back and we had plenty of time to complete those and the papers that we had to write.

In fact, he was so easy that there was a group of students that were acing the class. Straight As. I was in this group. He told us, in front of the rest of the class, that he wasn't expecting us to fail our final, since we were acing everything else, so we didn't have to take it. He was just assuming we would ace that too, so he said we were all set.

This professor was my senior seminar prof, btw. So my senior seminar was pretty much a cake walk.

For just straight blowing off classes? I wouldn't blow off really anything. I think the only class I missed more than a few times was a Cold War history/foreign relations class, but that was just because I wasn't focused on the class, but family medical issues beyond my control.

#9 Edited by bybeach (4700 posts) -

I would never blow off a class. I used to have nightmares that I did just that. Professors at a university level are supposed to contribute something of their own, in some way or degree. Having said that, I had one class back in the day that was an absolute joke. The prof. was an alcoholic having his problems, and spent his time over at the pub across the street. He only came to class I/2 the time (late) to be awkward, and mostly left early. It was a class joke to mark the required 20 minutes waiting for him. Only once did he give a convincing lecture. Easy A

#10 Posted by Niblets (18 posts) -

College costs a lot of money. I'm sure when you get around to paying off your student loans you'll be super glad you took a bunch of classes that required nothing more than standing around with your dick in your hand.

#11 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1912 posts) -

The only class I've done that for was a Mass Media class that I was literally acing everything in, and the professor just kept droning. It was pretty much an excuse to write about video games and get credits. Walked out of there with an A- only because of my lack of attendance.

I wouldn't skip any of your ETM/major courses, just because it gets you in a bad habit and might leave your department with a bad impression of you. Exiting school with recommendations and good standing is, arguably, better than leaving with straight-A's and being a recluse where your instructors barely know you.

#12 Posted by ch3burashka (4991 posts) -

@niblets said:

College costs a lot of money. I'm sure when you get around to paying off your student loans you'll be super glad you took a bunch of classes that required nothing more than standing around with your dick in your hand.

Ah yes, Sex Ed 101, I remember it fondly. And fondling.

#13 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3048 posts) -

My university has a strict attendance policy, so I've never had a blow-off class, just some classes that were easy.

#14 Posted by Brewmaster_Andy (520 posts) -

Never really blew off any classes, but changing the subject for a minute:

How many of you college students/graduates have had this exact dream? You sign up for a class, and completely forget you signed up for it. You never go to the class, and then you get your final schedule - and remember you forgot to drop it.

#15 Edited by BaneFireLord (2906 posts) -

My college is extremely strict about class attendance due to the tiny class sizes (it has a very small student body compared to the majority of schools, only around 2000), with a general policy (not universal, but fairly close to it) of grades permanently dropping a whole letter after the third missed session, so I have never blown off a class. On the other hand, I've had multiple professors not show up to class many times, often under very questionable premises. The worst case was a CompSci prof who missed something like five labs and two classes (one two days before the final!) with the explanation given always being "headache."

#16 Edited by pyromagnestir (4190 posts) -

So you're going to college so you can skip classes?

Doesn't everybody?

Exiting school with recommendations and good standing is, arguably, better than leaving with straight-A's and being a recluse where your instructors barely know you.

Well I'm fucked as I'm not getting straight A's and the instructors barely know me.

@niblets said:

Hey he could be taking one easy class so he can have more time to focus on his 3 or 4 other hard classes! Huh?! What say you to that?

I know this upcoming semester I have 3 tough classes I need to take and I'd fucking love a blow off class to get up to the 4 classes I need to be considered a full time student so I can get full benefits or whatever while maybe actually managing to avoiding inducing a stress and self-loathing related implosion at some point during the semester. I don't know if I'll find one though. I should probably start looking, seeing as the semester starts next week...

Or he could be taking a bunch of easy classes and spending all his time partying and having fun and not feeling like a miserable, empty, waste of human existence. Actually that sounds great. I should do that.

#17 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1502 posts) -

I never skipped classes, both because college is hella expensive, but also because all of the classes I took for my major were largely in-class discussion based. If I didn't show up, I would lose mass amounts of points. Also, I never really understood why people missed class. I didn't have anything better to do. I went to University to learn, nothing else.

#18 Posted by SMTDante89 (2540 posts) -

How many of you college students/graduates have had this exact dream? You sign up for a class, and completely forget you signed up for it. You never go to the class, and then you get your final schedule - and remember you forgot to drop it.

Yup, quite a few times I've had those dreams. They became a little more frequent in the last couple of years of college for me.

As for the original question, for the first two years of college, I never skipped classes, even when I felt sick enough that I probably should have but I worried about missing something important or what have you. After that, I would maybe skip once or twice if it was a class I wasn't struggling in.

#19 Posted by joshwent (2041 posts) -

If you want to get the most productive answer, maybe ask whoever is paying for your college what you should blow off. Or if you really want some intriguing feedback, ask someone who'll never be able to go because they can't afford it.

#20 Posted by wjb (1616 posts) -

Maybe I was a nerd, but I didn't skip a lot of classes unless I was sick or I couldn't get out of my place due to snow. I was a B-student, and I always hated being behind (copying notes from someone else wasn't always adequate). Also, I paid for some of my tuition, but my parents helped a lot so I did not want to let them down.

It helped that my schedule after freshman year was perfect: no Friday classes; nothing before 9:30-10:00; nothing after 3:00; time in-between to have a lunch.

#21 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1345 posts) -

Im with some others, It fine if you miss a class or two but just remember you or your family is paying thousands of dollars for those classes. Then again i skipped most of my classes that were before noon then i wised up and next semester made it so all my classes were after noon.

#22 Edited by Chemystery (214 posts) -

Wow some really negativity here. Sometimes in college you have to take classes to fill your schedule. I still go to all of my classes but I don't need to put as much effort in them as I do with my other core classes. These classes are called blow off classes. I don't know if there are different definitions out there or what but rest assured I am not off taking drugs, drinking, and running around with loose women because I scheduled an easy class.

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (35783 posts) -

I don't know if there are different definitions out there or what but rest assured I am not off taking drugs, drinking, and running around with loose women because I scheduled an easy class.

Are you calling your class a whore? Because it can seat up to 20 people.

#24 Posted by audioBusting (1458 posts) -

I took a natural language processing/linguistics class in my college and it was surprisingly hella easy. It was worth it for the lectures and studying material, but I barely had to try to get a good grade. I spent a lot of the contact hours doing assignments from other classes =P

#25 Posted by McDayman (99 posts) -

I wouldn't recommend taking a "blowoff" class. If you need something to fill your schedule, look for a gen ed class in a subject that sounds interesting. With that said, I took Intro to Film my freshman year, which was fairly easy. Watch some movies in class, take easy tests, write a paper on Run, Lola, Run. Really, though, as some people have mentioned, what you get out of college is completely dependent on what you've put into it. Be active, especially in discussion based courses.

#26 Posted by alanm26v5 (434 posts) -

I graduated 9 years ago and I still have that dream.

#27 Edited by Budwyzer (537 posts) -

I minored in Applied Nanoscience while I was in college. One semester we had a lab class, and spent the entire semester building a model of a microscope out of a Lego Mindstorms kit. Yep, spent an entire semester playing with Legos for a class.

Pro: Easiest damn add-on degree that sounds kick-ass on my resume

Con: Pissed that the school charged me to sit in a room and play with Legos.

#28 Posted by Chemystery (214 posts) -

Well this thread went in a direction I wasn't anticipating but it is all good advice. I understand I need to be active in college and I do attend all of my classes no matter what, but with the rest of my schedule (quantum chemistry, physical chemistry lab, sociology, and a lit class) I think I'm better off taking the easy GPA booster this semester. Also I like plants so I am happy with it.

Also, blow off class apparently means a class you never go to. Not an easy class. Thanks for the lesson internet!

#29 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1882 posts) -

I had a level 100 history class where the professor would hand you test the first day and then tell you to just come back on test day if you think you could pass without the class. Then repeat that for all the tests.

I also took a level 100 science class where a different professor said as long as a papers were on time and you could do them without going you didn't need to show up.

(I saved those my none major level 100s for Senior year too knowing that I wouldn't want to do work in my last semester)

I had to show up to a class called "Real Men" but the class was you watch movies like Lethal Weapon and Die Hard and write about the male characters.

In my level 400 World Lit class for some reason we did a mock trial of Adam and Eve as a project that was worth a large chunk of my grade. For some reason I got assigned to be God by the professor and had to "take the stand" as God. So for every question I answered either "because I'm God" or "Because it is my vision" For some unknown reason I got an A.

In graduate school I took a class about the internet where all we did was talk about how cool the internet is. We spent like 2 weeks studying (?) Second Life. My mandatory class for every semester of graduate school was 3 hours long and half of it involved free beer and wine.

I'm starting to think some of my college classes weren't highly educational.

#30 Posted by Budwyzer (537 posts) -

I'm starting to think some of my college classes weren't highly educational.

The more surprising revelation is, some of them were actually educational?!

Universities are becoming more like businesses, focused on making money instead of producing a quality product. :(

#31 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6285 posts) -

I took a Vietnam class in which attendance wasn't required, two tests made up our entire grade, and the only homework was reading the textbooks.

My reaction was, and I quote: "Reading?! Word! That means no homework!" Because that's the type of natural academic instinct that a Catholic school education can get you.

Shockingly enough I failed the class and only went to about a quarter of the sessions. I had more important stuff to do though, like smoke pot and sleep and masturbate.

#32 Posted by Patman99 (1556 posts) -

Not to be the wagging finger asshole here but if you should not be going to college if you want to take a "blow off class". The point of you being there is to take as many courses as possible that will benefit you in your future (both professionally and personally). If you are bad at writing, take a writing course. If you are bad at public speaking, take a public speaking course. If you have an elective, why not choose a course that benefits your career. Accounting students can take economic, business, or political science classes. Engineering students can take astrophysics, or computer science classes. Geography students can take anthropology, chemistry, or biology classes. There's really no end to the potentially beneficial classes you can take regardless of your major.

Many university degrees are being diluted (as in not worth as much anymore) because there are too many people who have borderline ability and drive but enough money to attend university. Once they complete their degree they are barely qualified when compared to other students who put their nose to the grindstone and built up a skill base centred on their major. If you find university boring, then don't go. There are plenty of noble professions out there that require little to no education but help out society greatly. Not saying everyone who skips a class or takes a gimme course is like this but a lot of them are. University is for learning not for tarrying your place amongst the unemployed.

I never skipped classes, both because college is hella expensive, but also because all of the classes I took for my major were largely in-class discussion based. If I didn't show up, I would lose mass amounts of points. Also, I never really understood why people missed class. I didn't have anything better to do. I went to University to learn, nothing else.

Bingo.

#33 Edited by Budwyzer (537 posts) -

@patman99 said:

Not to be the wagging finger asshole here but if you should not be going to college if you want to take a "blow off class". The point of you being there is to take as many courses as possible that will benefit you in your future (both professionally and personally). If you are bad at writing, take a writing course. If you are bad at public speaking, take a public speaking course. If you have an elective, why not choose a course that benefits your career. Accounting students can take economic, business, or political science classes. Engineering students can take astrophysics, or computer science classes. Geography students can take anthropology, chemistry, or biology classes. There's really no end to the potentially beneficial classes you can take regardless of your major.

Many university degrees are being diluted (as in not worth as much anymore) because there are too many people who have borderline ability and drive but enough money to attend university. Once they complete their degree they are barely qualified when compared to other students who put their nose to the grindstone and built up a skill base centred on their major. If you find university boring, then don't go. There are plenty of noble professions out there that require little to no education but help out society greatly. Not saying everyone who skips a class or takes a gimme course is like this but a lot of them are. University is for learning not for tarrying your place amongst the unemployed.

@alwaysbebombing said:

Bingo.

C's get Degrees, bro. Once you got that diploma in your hand, you could be the worst possible candidate for a position but as long as you're charismatic and appear driven in an interview then you got the job. And that's where the real learning begins anyway. Your interviewers don't know what your grades were, and they aren't supposed to ask. Even if they do, lie lie lie. =D

For the record, I graduated 3rd in my class, got my name on a plaque on the wall, and still missed around half my classes. Some of us can miss every day of class and still are naturally better than others. :/

#34 Edited by GorillaMoPena (1882 posts) -

@patman99: I didn't really slack in the classes that were in my major. But the level 100 classes they make you take outside your major I did, I could do more things with my college experience than spend my time taking the same history/math/science class I essentially took in high school.

I had to take a classes that was basically teaching me how to use Microsoft Office and there was no way out of it even though I knew everything I would ever need. So I took it online and did the bare minimum and spent my time doing other stuff with my college experience.

I didn't feel like I was paying for college just for class and my diploma, but to learn outside of class by living. Or something like that.

#35 Posted by senrat (308 posts) -

Its hard for me to believe people who say they hardly go to class and make awesome grades. I guess their professors never do in class quizzes or take attendance. A decent amount of my grade depends on me going to class and participating in the lectures. I wish I was such a genius that I could blow off Calculus III, Physics for Science and Engineering II, and C++. My macroeconomics class might be what you describe as a blow off class. Considering I am minoring in Business I am going to attend that as well.

#36 Posted by Patman99 (1556 posts) -

@gorillamopena: If that's the case then it's poo poo on your institution if they force you to take a 100-level history class and that it has nothing to do with your major. My undergraduate institution also forced me to take a certain amount of classes out of my department/faculty but, like I said previously, there were plenty of relevant choices that benefited me. You can still have a life and attend class. Classes take, at most, a couple of hours out of your day. You never know if there is something useful/applicable in those classes unless you attend. Maybe the prof will say something that triggers something in your head that makes you want to inquire further.

@budwyzer: I know Cs get degrees. That is the problem. I wasn't even talking about grades anyway. There are plenty of students that try really hard but are average students. That's fine. It's the students that don't try that are the problem. If you don't care about learning and making yourself the best possible future candidate, then don't bother with the university course you are taking. You are better off finding what really drives you. It may not be in university and that's totally fine. The employers in my field are totally allowed to ask for your grades. In fact, some ask for a transcript. They also look for what courses you did take to see what relevant experience you got at university.

#37 Posted by MonetaryDread (1986 posts) -

@chemystery: Intro psychology is the biggest blow off class ever.

#38 Posted by TheDoorman (534 posts) -

I had a class last semester for my art elective called "Performance Appreciation" all I had to do was simply show up, sign my name on a sign in sheet, watch movies about performances/documentaries, take a midterm and a final exam, and then critique to live performances. Hands down the easiest class ever. Only reason why I got a Less than an A( ended with B+, she took half a letter grade off every 3 absences) in the class because it was a late at night class and I would often blow it off so I could pull all nighters studying for my Organic chemistry tests

#39 Posted by Hadoken101 (693 posts) -

@budwyzer said:

@patman99 said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

Bingo.

C's get Degrees, bro. Once you got that diploma in your hand, you could be the worst possible candidate for a position but as long as you're charismatic and appear driven in an interview then you got the job. And that's where the real learning begins anyway. Your interviewers don't know what your grades were, and they aren't supposed to ask. Even if they do, lie lie lie. =D

I'll be sure to remember this when I'm making games that you'd want to play, enjoy your broken mess ^_^

#40 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

There were bullshit classes like Exploring The Cosmos and Theatre Studies, but I was already a language student, I didn't need to make my arts degree any worse.

#41 Posted by Hunter5024 (5503 posts) -

Introductory science courses are incredibly easy if you take them online. Generally your grade will depend on how well you do on quizzes, and the answers to all of those quizzes are easily available online in a second window.

#42 Posted by Skyfire543 (648 posts) -

Mage.
Wait... shit.

#43 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (674 posts) -

I have a year and a half left in school and haven't even taken any courses towards my minor. My gen-eds will be done, which will be nice, after this semester. Then I can just focus on a year of non-stop New Media studies. Hopefully my dream of working in a broadcasting station will come to fruition so long as I land that internship, because if I don't I'm kind of fucked. Oh, blow off class? I took Jazz 1. It was pretty easy. Too many guys in it though.