Bioshock and Nine Inch Nails: Closer video clip - feel the same?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By oldschool

I was recording some video clips that make up the Triple J 100 Hottest Songs of All Time and there was Nine Inch Nails, Closer, at 50 something. Now, I confess to be a fan of NIN and in particular, this song and film clip. As videos go, it would probably be the best video clip of all time.  Having only recently played Bioshock and not having seen the video of Closer for a while, it immediately struck me how much Bioshock "felt' like Closer. 

Yes, I realise that they are both copying a architectural style from long ago, but it is more than the basic mechanics.  It is the colour, the graininess of the film and, well, just more - it is hard to describe a feeling.

Warning: Video has adult content (the good stuff).

So a question for players of Bioshock.  Is it just me or do you get the same vibe when you are watching the video clip?  Watching it made me want to play Bioshock  :-)
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By oldschool

I was recording some video clips that make up the Triple J 100 Hottest Songs of All Time and there was Nine Inch Nails, Closer, at 50 something. Now, I confess to be a fan of NIN and in particular, this song and film clip. As videos go, it would probably be the best video clip of all time.  Having only recently played Bioshock and not having seen the video of Closer for a while, it immediately struck me how much Bioshock "felt' like Closer. 

Yes, I realise that they are both copying a architectural style from long ago, but it is more than the basic mechanics.  It is the colour, the graininess of the film and, well, just more - it is hard to describe a feeling.

Warning: Video has adult content (the good stuff).

So a question for players of Bioshock.  Is it just me or do you get the same vibe when you are watching the video clip?  Watching it made me want to play Bioshock  :-)
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I can see it. I think it's the colors and the over-all macabre effect.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

Good choice. NIN are good and I like how Trent Wont compromise on his music one bit. He is one of the few guys that has his finger on the pulse of the music industry. I really liked The Slip and I love Year Zero. The ARG game for Year Zero was fucking insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

I don't really see much of a visual similarity, though I understand where you're coming from. "The Downward Spiral" (the song on the album, not the whole album) reminds me of Bioshock the most.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By grilledcheez

It definitely reminds me of BioShock, especially the way the one guy is moving...very splicer esque (even the woman with the mask reminds me of a splicers).  As for the video, it's quite awesome (I never saw the video)...and of course the song is great.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By ArcBorealis

Even though the video was just a bit much for me, I can see the similarities between the style and Bioshock.  

Oh, and thanks for bringing back up that song. Haven't listened to NIN in a while.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sodiumCyclops

finally some one post about this band. As far as the video is concerned, I put it up there with the video for 'the day the whole world went away'. 

Best 2 NIN videos ever.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
@GrilledCheez01 said:
" It definitely reminds me of BioShock, especially the way the one guy is moving...very splicer esque (even the woman with the mask reminds me of a splicers).  As for the video, it's quite awesome (I never saw the video)...and of course the song is great. "

@GrilledCheez01 said:
" It definitely reminds me of BioShock, especially the way the one guy is moving...very splicer esque (even the woman with the mask reminds me of a splicers).  As for the video, it's quite awesome (I never saw the video)...and of course the song is great. "

Glad to see someone can see it.  My 16 year old daughter said "That reminds me, I want to play Bioshock again" when she was watching it.  She loves NIN, so it is good to see my musical tastes being used for some good  :-)
Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Civraz

Yeah, i can see the similarities. Great song from a great band, though.  Pretty weird too...
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By ahoodedfigure

You familiar with the work of George Tooker?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
@ahoodedfigure said:
" You familiar with the work of George Tooker? "
Only what I just read on Wikipedia.  Is his art similar or influential?
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#12  Edited By ahoodedfigure

The scene with the old guy looking through the peep hole is from Tooker's Government Bureau.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

yes, it reminds me a lot of bioshock.