• 60 results
Posted by DuskVamp (679 posts) -

So it's my birthday today. Happy Birthday to me! It's been a pretty dull one so far, slept for most of the day and did some painting around the house. Just waiting for my boyfriend to get home.

I miss how exciting birthdays used to be, bags of presents and having all my friends round my house to have fun. I've never had big family celebrations as only my mum and brother live anywhere near me, and now all my friends have left for university I'm the only one left in my town.

I am going for a meal with my mum and brother tomorrow which should be nice. But I'm most looking forward to seeing Jason Manford on tour with them and then seeing Stephen Merchant the very next day with some friends that are coming down to visit. Thats not until next month though...

Long story short. What's the best/worst birthday you've had so far? Or what would you love to do for your birthday one year?

#1 Posted by DuskVamp (679 posts) -

So it's my birthday today. Happy Birthday to me! It's been a pretty dull one so far, slept for most of the day and did some painting around the house. Just waiting for my boyfriend to get home.

I miss how exciting birthdays used to be, bags of presents and having all my friends round my house to have fun. I've never had big family celebrations as only my mum and brother live anywhere near me, and now all my friends have left for university I'm the only one left in my town.

I am going for a meal with my mum and brother tomorrow which should be nice. But I'm most looking forward to seeing Jason Manford on tour with them and then seeing Stephen Merchant the very next day with some friends that are coming down to visit. Thats not until next month though...

Long story short. What's the best/worst birthday you've had so far? Or what would you love to do for your birthday one year?

#2 Posted by rmanthorp (3696 posts) -

Happy Birthday and whatnot!!

My Birthday is always just a reason to hang out with friends it never seems special but it's awesome fun!

#3 Edited by zyn (2591 posts) -

Happy Birthday!

EDIT: Best birthday was when I got some games for my 10th birthday... I think. Never had a worst birthday. Nowadays, I just celebrate by sleeping all day. LOL.

#4 Edited by AlexW00d (6062 posts) -

I grew out of seeing birthdays as anything other than another day when I was ~14, so I don't know if I have a best/worst.

But happy birthday nonetheless.

Also I enjoy Jason Manford.

#5 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

Happy birthday!!!!!

#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5399 posts) -

So jealous that you are seeing Jason Manford. That would be better than any birthday celebration.

#7 Posted by hippocrit (214 posts) -

My birthday is Chrismas Eve, so the focus was ne'er really on me. Presents always sucked, too. Today is my wife's birthday as well- happy birthday to both of you!

#8 Posted by BoFooQ (620 posts) -

happy birthday!! my birthday was a few weeks ago and I didn't plan to do anything, I was working with one of my brothers at night and when we were on our way home his wife called and when he said I was there she asked what i was doing for my birthday. my brother looked at me and asked if it was my birthday? we went out and had dinner no big deal. my oldest brother actually called me 2 days before my birthday and said sorry I missed your birthday.

#9 Posted by MackGyver (508 posts) -

First of all, you have someone to share your birthday with and you call it dull? Sorry to hear that. If it was my girlfriends birthday I would make it anything but dull. But that's just me. At least you're going to do something with family and then friends later on so it's not a loss. How old are you again?

Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (6359 posts) -

HEPPY BATHDAY!

#11 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I got a 1-terabyte SS hard drive from my dad on boxing day (bought it for $150). He told me "Happy birthday! And that's it, I'm not getting you anything else from now on." I turned 18 in April.

#12 Posted by Akrid (1346 posts) -

Happy birthday! 

I hit the point a couple years ago where my birthdays transitioned from my family throwing a big thing for me to, "So, whaddya wanna do today?". Which is admittedly more then most get.

#13 Edited by MikeFightNight (1052 posts) -

My last birthday was awesome!

I woke up early because I could barley keep my excitement in! Had to get all the party decorations ready. People starting showing up around 2:00 PM with presents in hand and stacking them up in a big pile! There was an awkward divide between the guys and girls until we busted out twister and went outside to play on the slip and slide. Everyone gathered around and sung me "Happy Birthday©" as I blew the candles out on my ice cream cake, fully chocolate I might add! We even sneaked in a few games of truth and dare and my friend Randy told us all about "spin the bottle", which started with him spinning and landing on my other friend Matt. We stopped after that. Played some nintendo later on as people started to get going but I made sure they all got there party bags on the way out...wait a minuet, that was when I was 11 years old...

Yeah I don't remember exactly what happened on my last birthday. I know I was out with friend's but the minuet alcohol started getting invovled on birthdays is when things got kinda blurry.

#14 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

I drink with friends until I go blind and wake up in a strange house.

#15 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Well happy birthday! I miss those huge and crazy childhood celebrations. Since then my birthdays have been alright but my next birthday will probably be really crazy

#16 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

I like to just go out to an event or something on my birthday, see a show, go to a concert, head to a Sox game, things like that. I'm not much of a drinker, and I don't need all the attention... I just want to have fun with my friends.

#17 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1760 posts) -

Happy Birthday! Yo, I want to go to the zoo on my birthday.

#18 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -
#19 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

yep, that feel when waking up to realize it's nothing special.

i know that feeling of feeling nothing. o well on that, mine is in a couple of weeks. i don't know what i'm going to do.

#20 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

@MackGyver said:

First of all, you have someone to share your birthday with and you call it dull? Sorry to hear that. If it was my girlfriends birthday I would make it anything but dull. But that's just me. At least you're going to do something with family and then friends later on so it's not a loss. How old are you again?

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know, how did your boyfriend manage to blow your birthday? Drop him and find someone worthwhile, whydontcha?

#21 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Birthdays don't really mean anything to me anymore, money ruins birthdays. Everything I would want for my birthday I would be able to buy myself, so I usually just ask for a surprise. My best birthday was when I got a bunch of new PS3 games, Uncharted Drakes Fortune included. But yeah now the best thing to look forward to is an excuse to get drunk, oh and being closer to being old enough to get into a gay night club!

#22 Posted by Lotan (215 posts) -

I worked on my birthday this year. And not because I had to, i just didn't feel like it was anything special.

Looking back; that was lame.

#23 Posted by nickb64 (214 posts) -

Never had a party or anything really in my entire 18 years on this planet. My grandma would occaisionally bake a cake and we'd go over whenever the closest weekend to my birthday was, or sometimes between my sister's and my birthdays, since they're only ~2 weeks apart.

For a couple years, my friends were mad that I didn't invite them to my party, because they couldn't fathom that that was just not something my family did. After that, they just thought we were kind of crazy to not have birthday parties.

The only time we apparently ever tried to have a party was my 1st birthday, and no one showed. Had to reschedule for my parents anniversary 25 days later, lol.

Also, my grandma's kind of weird, Christmas is pretty much all about my Uncle, since it's his birthday. So for the most part he's the center of attention at any kind of family gathering around Christmas.

#24 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Happy Beastday!

I haven't had any really bad birthdays but I will say my first one was my worst because I can't remember anything about it, though some people do say that the nights you don't remember are the best ones... I was probably totally wasted on concentrated apple juice.

My best b-dizzle was probably the year all my friends came round my house (it was really nice for both of them to make the effort) and then we ate cake and jelly, played in the bouncy castle, got balloon animals from the clown and watched in awe as a magician amazed us with his card tricks.

I was 27.

#25 Posted by Muerthoz (344 posts) -

@manaseviglietta said:

My birthday is Chrismas Eve, so the focus was ne'er really on me. Presents always sucked, too. Today is my wife's birthday as well- happy birthday to both of you!

Sucks to have a birthday so close to Christmas. Mine is Dec 20th. When I was in school and it was time for my birthday, everybody was out of town for Christmas Break. I've gotten used to not making a big deal about my birthday.

#26 Posted by Taefarinas (87 posts) -

Worst birthday: (not that it was actually that bad, just that it was a bad birthday) My 19th, which is the age of majority in my province. I was also failing linear algebra. I spent over 10 hours that day after classes in the Linear Algebra Lab with some T.A.'s trying to understand enough to pass my last math class ever. It was the Tuesday before exams.

I did pass though, so I guess it was well worth that birthday to make up for never having to take it again.

#27 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

My birthdays suck.

#28 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Most of my birthday's after 15 have been very uneventful.

I just consider it a way of forgetting that getting older means you're getting deader :(

(I don't feel like answering all those questions)

#29 Posted by LimpBishop (220 posts) -

Might be an old fart - but for several years I have not given a rats ass about turning another year. The next one will be 30, and everyone want me to have some big party - but I have no idea as to why I would want that.

Spend a lot of money on a bunch of people, where 3/4 of them are stuck with huge mortgages, kids and a tendency to be more boring than a cooking book (you know the people where ALL their Facebook updates are either pictures of their ugly and equally boring kids, or those stupid games they play there) - I have absolutely nothing to speak with these people about.

Currently I am living abroad hence having a very good excuse to not spending time with before mentioned people, but for some reason most of them are disappointed why I won't hold something - seems like most people see a birthday more as a thing for them to attend, than actually for it to be my day to spend as I see fit.

But come on! I understand that when you are 10, such a day is fun. But when adult - cut that crap, and spend that money/time on something useful. But I guess most people like to be the centre of attention for one day a year.....

Happy b-day still!

#30 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

Man, you guys are all depressing. Doesn't anyone actually enjoy their birthdays anymore?

#31 Posted by MachoFantastico (4307 posts) -

Happy Birthday! Personally don't like to even acknowledge my birthday now, it's just a normal day to me and seems pretty meaningless in most regards. That said, I'm part of a family that will celebrate anything they possibly can so I have to put on a smile and pretend it's the best day ever. Not grumpy about it, just don't see the point unless it's meaningful.

#32 Edited by MachoFantastico (4307 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

Man, you guys are all depressing. Doesn't anyone actually enjoy their birthdays anymore?

:D It's personal preference, a mate of mine adores his birthday and makes a big thing about it. I don't like being the centre of attention (probably a psychological thing) and obviously birthdays generally make you the centre of attention. Even as a kid I wasn't that bothered, only about the presents and that's something I no longer care for.

Give me some quiet time, possibly at a pub (with a pint of Hobgoblin) looking out at the sea and I'm happy... yes I'm bloody boring :)

#33 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day.

Birthdays are cool I guess. I don't like to make a big deal out of it. Having a few people over for cake and ice cream and then saying goodbye as I play any video games I got as presents is my happy ending. Birthdays are more of a reflection for me.

#34 Posted by Dunchad (460 posts) -

I haven't celebrated my birthdays in a long time, I find them rather depressing. I can't remember ever having a "birthday party" with cake and guests and stuff - I know I had some back when I was a little kid only because there are pictures.

So my best birthday would probably be my 6th - I have a picture in which I'm sitting by a table that has a chocolate cake on it and around me are sitting 3 girls who lived nearby. That was probably when I peaked as far as my popularity with women goes.

#35 Posted by Example1013 (4749 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

My birthdays suck.
#36 Posted by JackSukeru (5817 posts) -

My last birthday was probably the worst one I've had so far because it felt exactly like every other day of that week. I didn't do anything besides work, came home tired, ate something and then went to sleep.

My little sister had her birthday this past Sunday. Despite now being in her early twenties she's very insistant on celerbating it with her family, more so than the rest of us anyway. I guess it's her way of keeping the magic of birthdays alive, even as an adult.

It's been a good excuse to come together anyways, even though my oldest sister's son, who is turning one later this month, managed to steal most of the attention from her ^_^

#37 Posted by dudeglove (7257 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@MackGyver said:

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know, how did your boyfriend manage to blow your birthday? Drop him and find someone worthwhile, whydontcha?

And, of course, the best place to find that is via a video game forum.

#38 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@MackGyver said:

Clearly MackGyver knows the proper way to make a girl feel special on her birthday. Perhaps he can enlighten us? Maybe Dusk should drop her bum boyfriend and give this internet hero a chance.

#39 Edited by MackGyver (508 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@MackGyver said:

Clearly MackGyver knows the proper way to make a girl feel special on her birthday. Perhaps he can enlighten us? Maybe Dusk should drop her bum boyfriend and give this internet hero a chance.

I actually do know how to make a girl feel special on her birthday. Thanks for pointing that out dudeglove. It's really not that hard, but if you stumped so low as to ask a stranger how to make your girlfriend feel special on her birthday, then I'd say you got bigger problems than worrying about her birthday, assuming you even have one.

So why not just stop being a sarcastic idiot and worry about your own comments? Just a friendly tip.

#40 Posted by Deusx (1879 posts) -
#41 Posted by dudeglove (7257 posts) -

@MackGyver said:

@dudeglove said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@MackGyver said:

I actually do know how to make a girl feel special on her birthday. Thanks for pointing that out dudeglove. It's really not that hard, but if you stumped so low as to ask a stranger how to make your girlfriend feel special on her birthday, then I'd say you got bigger problems than worrying about her birthday, assuming you even have one.

So why not just stop being a sarcastic idiot and worry about your own comments? Just a friendly tip.

None of what you said makes any sense whatsoever.

#42 Posted by MackGyver (508 posts) -

I'm sorry but I got neither the time or the will to explain it to you. Maybe if you read it once every day for the next few months you'll get it eventually.

#43 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

Happy Birthday, yo. Seems to be a whole lot of birthdays these last few days.

#44 Posted by dudeglove (7257 posts) -

@MackGyver said:

I'm sorry but I got neither the time or the will to explain it to you. Maybe if you read it once every day for the next few months you'll get it eventually.

I'm amazed that you failed to notice my original comment wasn't even aimed at you in the first place, but uhh... thanks for the advice?

#45 Posted by MackGyver (508 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@MackGyver said:

I'm amazed that you failed to notice my original comment wasn't even aimed at you in the first place, but uhh... thanks for the advice?

No problem.

#46 Posted by Butler (376 posts) -

I buried my grandma on my 21rst birthday. Lady always knew how to be the center of attention in life and in death.

#47 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

@MackGyver said:

#48 Posted by arab_prince (2052 posts) -

@MackGyver said:

Does it usually take people a few months to understand your gibberish?

#49 Posted by AgnosticJesus (532 posts) -

My birthday falls on Thanksgiving every 6-7 years depending if there's a leap year.  It sucks when it does because absolutely no one gives a shit it's my birthday, more of an after thought.  Now I really don't care about my birthday.  Six years ago my son was born on my birthday, easily the best present I've ever received.  I make sure that it's his day and he feels special.  Seeing the joy on his face every year is enough for me.
#50 Posted by DuskVamp (679 posts) -

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes :)

It's kind of nice to know that I'm not the only one that doesn't make a big deal out of my birthday anymore. But also kind of depressing how many people have crappy birthdays.

In response to @MackGyver: @Wrighteous86: and @dudeglove: My boyfriend couldn't help being out during the day of my birthday, but when he got home we had a really nice time :)

@RockmanBionics said:

My last birthday was probably the worst one I've had so far because it felt exactly like every other day of that week. I didn't do anything besides work, came home tired, ate something and then went to sleep.

My little sister had her birthday this past Sunday. Despite now being in her early twenties she's very insistant on celerbating it with her family, more so than the rest of us anyway. I guess it's her way of keeping the magic of birthdays alive, even as an adult.

It's been a good excuse to come together anyways, even though my oldest sister's son, who is turning one later this month, managed to steal most of the attention from her ^_^

My last birthday was exactly the same and it was my 21st :( Which is supposed to be the birthday to put all birthdays to shame. Me and your sister have the same birthday, I hope she had a better day than I did :P

Thanks again guys!