Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

What's up duders?

I just pulled the wrap off of my Call of Duty Black Ops HE and tore into the Multiplayer because I just wanted to shoot some fools. I'm not an advocate of a new Call of Duty being cranked out every year but I do keep buying them. I guess I'm part of the problem. Kinda? I only buy them for the Campaigns. I feel like they're completely bombastic and insane and that's the reason I love them. I expect BLOPS2 to be just as insane as the first one was. I find the Modern Warfare grouping of COD feels more militaristic and tactical in nature and I love them for that aspect but BLOPS is more of a twisted-weave of a cool stories all intertwined by some psycho plot. Love it.

As I said before, I don't play COD for the Multiplayer but I've been hearing that the focus of BLOPS2 is more of a livestream/MLG/hardcore focus and I wanted to experience that before I hopped into the campaign. My first game I went 18-2 and felt pretty damn good considering I haven't played online for at least 6 months. I'm really enthusiastic about this installment but I haven't tore into the campaign (will be doing that right after this post)

What are your thoughts/experiences with the COD franchise and where it could be headed in the future?

Finally, Hitman: Absolution. Totally stoked. But worried. I've beaten all the Hitman games (including Contracts) and definitely enjoy the over-arcing story that ties them all together. I am worried about Absolution because it's been made quite clear that Diana is killed off in the first Prologue Mission by 47. I think Diana is one of the cornerstones of this entire franchise. We were all excited when she saved us at the end of BloodMoney and at the end of Contracts when she was on the plane with 47. Now she's just going to be killed off?

What do you guys think about Diana being killed?

Also, has anyone played the Sniper Challenge? If so what's your score. I've been tinkering and unlocked all the Challenges but can't come close to the current record of 7-8 Million. Hints and Tips?

Happy Gaming Duders.

#1 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

What's up duders?

I just pulled the wrap off of my Call of Duty Black Ops HE and tore into the Multiplayer because I just wanted to shoot some fools. I'm not an advocate of a new Call of Duty being cranked out every year but I do keep buying them. I guess I'm part of the problem. Kinda? I only buy them for the Campaigns. I feel like they're completely bombastic and insane and that's the reason I love them. I expect BLOPS2 to be just as insane as the first one was. I find the Modern Warfare grouping of COD feels more militaristic and tactical in nature and I love them for that aspect but BLOPS is more of a twisted-weave of a cool stories all intertwined by some psycho plot. Love it.

As I said before, I don't play COD for the Multiplayer but I've been hearing that the focus of BLOPS2 is more of a livestream/MLG/hardcore focus and I wanted to experience that before I hopped into the campaign. My first game I went 18-2 and felt pretty damn good considering I haven't played online for at least 6 months. I'm really enthusiastic about this installment but I haven't tore into the campaign (will be doing that right after this post)

What are your thoughts/experiences with the COD franchise and where it could be headed in the future?

Finally, Hitman: Absolution. Totally stoked. But worried. I've beaten all the Hitman games (including Contracts) and definitely enjoy the over-arcing story that ties them all together. I am worried about Absolution because it's been made quite clear that Diana is killed off in the first Prologue Mission by 47. I think Diana is one of the cornerstones of this entire franchise. We were all excited when she saved us at the end of BloodMoney and at the end of Contracts when she was on the plane with 47. Now she's just going to be killed off?

What do you guys think about Diana being killed?

Also, has anyone played the Sniper Challenge? If so what's your score. I've been tinkering and unlocked all the Challenges but can't come close to the current record of 7-8 Million. Hints and Tips?

Happy Gaming Duders.

#2 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

I'm also worried about Hitman: Absolution. I hadn't heard about Diana, but that doesn't bother me too much, as long as the story that follows that is strong. And of course, most importantly, it needs to be a Hitman-ass Hitman game. That's what really worries me. I am reserving judgement until next week when we get to see some reviews, watch a QL, etc.

I really hope it's good. I would love to play a new Hitman game, but I'm probably not interested in playing some weird action-focused Hitman game.

#3 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

Huh. Why am I tempted to buy Blops 2? I haven't bought a CoD since World at War but I have played them all. I'm not a CoD fan but I can pump hours into those games, no matter how much I dislike them. I mainly speak of MW3 because fuck that game. Never played MW2 MP and played some Blops MP. Must not give in to the temptation!

Hitman. My friend asked me if he should get Blops 2 or Hitman. I told him Hitman. So I can borrow it after he finishes it. I played one of the Hitman games, don't remember which. I'm not really excited for it but I want to play it.

#4 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

@Kerned said:

I'm also worried about Hitman: Absolution. I hadn't heard about Diana, but that doesn't bother me too much, as long as the story that follows that is strong. And of course, most importantly, it needs to be a Hitman-ass Hitman game. That's what really worries me. I am reserving judgement until next week when we get to see some reviews, watch a QL, etc.

I really hope it's good. I would love to play a new Hitman game, but I'm probably not interested in playing some weird action-focused Hitman game.

It looks like they're going for a mix of action and stealth. A kind of, choose your own play-style. Which for todays gaming scene is pretty much their only option. A Silent Assassin based game would not fare well in todays market when the kids like lots of blood and explosions.

From the playthroughs I've scene it's pretty linear, but there are options in your traversal through the maps/levels. I guess we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.

@awesomeusername said:

Huh. Why am I tempted to buy Blops 2? I haven't bought a CoD since World at War but I have played them all. I'm not a CoD fan but I can pump hours into those games, no matter how much I dislike them. I mainly speak of MW3 because fuck that game. Never played MW2 MP and played some Blops MP. Must not give in to the temptation!

Hitman. My friend asked me if he should get Blops 2 or Hitman. I told him Hitman. So I can borrow it after he finishes it. I played one of the Hitman games, don't remember which. I'm not really excited for it but I want to play it.

What are your reasons for the hate for MW3? I'm kinda bummed there are a lot of Zombie/Multiplayer based achievements for BLOPS2 :( I just read them. Disappointed.

#5 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@IceColdGamer: Awful spawns, awful maps, awful gunplay and awful story. After CoD4, Infinity Ward died. They barely even patch their games too. If I play it now, I'll just throw knives at people and riot shield trap my team in corners. Because I'm an asshole.

I loved zombies in World at War and hated them in Blop's. It got way harder and I hated the level design for the zombie maps. I find the new zombies mode interesting though. I'll have to play the game at my friends house. Also, fuck multiplayer trophies. They are the WORST.

#6 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Yea I didn't enjoy MW3 as much as MW/MW2 although the first SCUBA mission in New York Harbor was pretty bad-ass. When they killed off Ghost I was pretty much ready to throw in the towel.

I never like the Zombies maps (maybe because I don't play with anyone) but there's so many achievements tied to them it drives me insane. Bane of my S-Rank existence.

#7 Posted by Incapability (197 posts) -

There's video on YouTube of good chunks of Absolution. Disregard the moronic reviews, the hysterically neurotic fanbase and the silly marketing. It looks solid.

Granted, I've not seen the entire game, or even played it for that matter, but what I have seen so far, looks good. They've gone great lengths to make the world believable and interesting, worth exploring, entertaining and challenging.

I honestly don't think Diana being killed is that big a deal, she's been there for the entire four games, even if she only voiced three of them, and killing her means you're free to explore a story where you aren't bound hard and fast to The Agency. It's nice to explore what 47 does outside of that realm, not to mention what leads up to the contract against her, as well 47's disposition towards her after the events of Blood Money.

I mean, 47 doesn't exactly how he was saved. Last thing he knows is being stabbed with a syringe by her, then suddenly waking up in a church, blasting fools. It's possible he could piece together the whole toxin thing, but we don't yet know if he's had contact with The Agency since. That story is going to be interesting, possibly also totally insane, but the story in the Hitman games has always been endearingly nuts.

As I understand, the new Hitman game offers a lot of content - in general, the levels are far bigger than those in Blood Money. They are also far, far more detailed, living, convincing and interactive. Now, some of them I've seen are just straight up sandboxes. Just like Blood Money. But not all of them. Some of them are sandboxes with smaller sandboxes inside. Some of them are sandboxes that are connected by small, more linear sequences. Some of them are more puzzle-y, action-y, stealth-y, adjective-y levels, that offer a little breather. Does that make it a bad game? Absolutely not.

I'd recommend that people make their own opinion about the new game, rather than put all their money on one review or the other. I understand the PC Gamer review has been regarded as a total embarrassment among other game journalists, and from what I've seen, it truly is. People are reacting too fast and thinking too little.

My impression is that it's an impressive, modern and extremely well-made Hitman game. Is it Blood Money? No, it isn't, but on a lot of fronts, I think it's what Blood Money wanted to grow up to be.

Oh, and if you don't like the new Intuition mode, if you don't like the score system, if you don't like HUD-indicators or any of that stuff, just set it to Purist mode! You'll have none of those things available to help you, and you will get your ass kicked mercilessly, over and over again.

#8 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

@Incapability said:

There's video on YouTube of good chunks of Absolution. Disregard the moronic reviews, the hysterically neurotic fanbase and the silly marketing. It looks solid.

Granted, I've not seen the entire game, or even played it for that matter, but what I have seen so far, looks good. They've gone great lengths to make the world believable and interesting, worth exploring, entertaining and challenging.

I honestly don't think Diana being killed is that big a deal, she's been there for the entire four games, even if she only voiced three of them, and killing her means you're free to explore a story where you aren't bound hard and fast to The Agency. It's nice to explore what 47 does outside of that realm, not to mention what leads up to the contract against her, as well 47's disposition towards her after the events of Blood Money.

I mean, 47 doesn't exactly how he was saved. Last thing he knows is being stabbed with a syringe by her, then suddenly waking up in a church, blasting fools. It's possible he could piece together the whole toxin thing, but we don't yet know if he's had contact with The Agency since. That story is going to be interesting, possibly also totally insane, but the story in the Hitman games has always been endearingly nuts.

As I understand, the new Hitman game offers a lot of content - in general, the levels are far bigger than those in Blood Money. They are also far, far more detailed, living, convincing and interactive. Now, some of them I've seen are just straight up sandboxes. Just like Blood Money. But not all of them. Some of them are sandboxes with smaller sandboxes inside. Some of them are sandboxes that are connected by small, more linear sequences. Some of them are more puzzle-y, action-y, stealth-y, adjective-y levels, that offer a little breather. Does that make it a bad game? Absolutely not.

I'd recommend that people make their own opinion about the new game, rather than put all their money on one review or the other. I understand the PC Gamer review has been regarded as a total embarrassment among other game journalists, and from what I've seen, it truly is. People are reacting too fast and thinking too little.

My impression is that it's an impressive, modern and extremely well-made Hitman game. Is it Blood Money? No, it isn't, but on a lot of fronts, I think it's what Blood Money wanted to grow up to be.

Oh, and if you don't like the new Intuition mode, if you don't like the score system, if you don't like HUD-indicators or any of that stuff, just set it to Purist mode! You'll have none of those things available to help you, and you will get your ass kicked mercilessly, over and over again.

Don't make it sound like I expect a shitty game! I'm totally stoked for it! The only thing that worried me was that they said this doesn't really connect to the original Hitman storyline, which I find weird because of the whole Diana thing right off the bat. I'll definitely be playing through on Purist the first time. I do not expect a bad game in anyway, just crossing my fingers they don't change the fiction to suit their needs!

#9 Posted by Incapability (197 posts) -

Alright, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come across like that - but you know, a lot of people have been very vocal about their... dissatisfaction with the series, often based on nothing, really.

What I am genuinely interested to find out, though, story wise, is how the new game will connect to the old games, story wise. They've already dropped a few hints that the mysterious suited man from Hitman 2 will be returning in some sort of role. I'm willing to bet someone will say "Ort-Meyer" once or twice, too. And Agent Smith will probably be caught in some... torture dungeon somewhere!

I think another, genuinely interesting question is, what is the end-game scenario for 47 here? An educated guess suggests The Agency takes a massive dump on him, and he takes a very stealthy dump right back. But then what? What would 47 do after that, retire to a... church in Sicily? Of course not.

I'm just glad it's not another "Oh, shit, it turns out it was the same guy who hired all the hits with a specific purpose in mind and used you as a tool to achieve these means, AGAIN!" story. They were starting to get predictable.

#10 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

@Incapability: People can be vocal all they want, has no effect on my time with the game :). Fingers are crossed that Smith makes an appearance, he was in BloodMoney so I'm sure once the Agency shits on 47 he'll use his old contacts for some sort of support.

Also, maybe minor spoilers, but which man are you talking about from Hitman 2 are you talking about? The only Mysterious Suited man I recall was from the Sniping level in Russia. But it's been a few years. Care to elaborate?

#11 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i've been figuring out if i want black ops 2 or not. i never bought modern warfare 3.

i haven't played hitman since 2. i've heard some weird stuff about absolution. it's not going to be good and stuff.

#12 Posted by IceColdGamer (604 posts) -

@iam3green: Then it must be true if you heard it. =)